or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 13

post #361 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Yes. VieraLink is Panasonic speak for ARC.
VieraLink is CEC, not ARC (ARC is the Audio Return Channel that lets a TV send audio to the receiver through the HDMI cable).
post #362 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

VieraLink is CEC, not ARC (ARC is the Audio Return Channel that lets a TV send audio to the receiver through the HDMI cable).
I know. Do you want to type out the difference for orixy? I am on a tablet.
post #363 of 3379
CEC and ARC are two different things, but I know what Orixy is getting at. With my LG TV, in order to get the Yamaha to start playing sound again, I have to turn SmartLink off. Probably the same boat at Orixy with having to turn VieraLink off to fully disable ARC.
post #364 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

CEC and ARC are two different things, but I know what Orixy is getting at. With my LG TV, in order to get the Yamaha to start playing sound again, I have to turn SmartLink off. Probably the same boat at Orixy with having to turn VieraLink off to fully disable ARC.
Exactly. Just trying to help w/o getting too tech and typing for 15 min on a tablet.
post #365 of 3379
Hi,
Quick update: I used the amazon/expo route ordering a 671 and did get the upgrade to the 673 for the same price. Got it in a couple of weeks ago and loving it despite a few issues. Here are the three things I'm having trouble with in case anyone knows a solution:
1) network - I can see the iTunes home sharing instance sometimes in the 673 and sometiimes it doesn't show up in the server list. When I do see it, I get "access denied" when I select it. I also have an Iomega home media server NAS drive that also appears and disappears although I can play music from it. The PC and NAS are wire connect and the 673 is wifi via netgear bridge. ??
2) sometimes when turning the 673 on or off I get some loud squealing/popping/static that's a bit disturbing. ??
3) I use the TV scene for my AT&T uverse which connects to the 673 via hdmi. I thought I had it all set up and saved and it does initially fire up right but after a few seconds the input changes to AV4 and I loose sound. If I press TV again it goes back to hdmi 3 again and works for a few seconds, then shifts back to AV4. The third time I change it back ( with the TV scene or hdmi3 buttons) it stays. I remember something about AV4 being special but can't figure this out. ??

Otherwise, I am loving this thing and glad I got it!
post #366 of 3379
Thanks Bond and guys for your sharing. Will try all the recommendations and report back if they work.
post #367 of 3379
Guys, no go for audio over HDMI... Ok, let's recap.

My connection setup: HD cableTV set-top box connect via HDMI --> V673's HDMI input 2 (input 1 is for BDP) --> HDMI out from V673 to Panasonic ET5 TV's HDMI port4 without ARC.

On the V673, I enabled 'Standby Through' so that I need not switch on the V673 when I just want to watch TV without using the amp. My HD cableTV box has Dolby Digital 5.1 output over HDMI. My Panasonic TV also supports DD5.1 via HDMI input. I disabled VieraLink on the Panasonic TV as suggested by some forum guys.

In this connection setup and with DD5.1 enabled on cableTV box and ONLY when watching any HD channel with DD5.1, only video appears on TV, no audio. All other TV channels without DD5.1 have got audio. Not good...

Same connection setup but this time I disable DD5.1 in the cableTV box, there is audio on all channels including HD channels with DD5.1. But obviously this way there is no nice DD5.1 and all output audio are just 2.0 channels. Not good too...

Then I tried connecting cableTV box directly to TV via HDMI and now there is audio even when DD5.1 is enabled in cableTV box.

Conclusion: The V673 does not carry Dolby Digital audio in the 'Standby Through' mode.
post #368 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by orixy View Post

Guys, no go for audio over HDMI... Ok, let's recap.
My connection setup: HD cableTV set-top box connect via HDMI --> V673's HDMI input 2 (input 1 is for BDP) --> HDMI out from V673 to Panasonic ET5 TV's HDMI port4 without ARC.
On the V673, I enabled 'Standby Through' so that I need not switch on the V673 when I just want to watch TV without using the amp. My HD cableTV box has Dolby Digital 5.1 output over HDMI. My Panasonic TV also supports DD5.1 via HDMI input. I disabled VieraLink on the Panasonic TV as suggested by some forum guys.
In this connection setup and with DD5.1 enabled on cableTV box and ONLY when watching any HD channel with DD5.1, only video appears on TV, no audio. All other TV channels without DD5.1 have got audio. Not good...
Same connection setup but this time I disable DD5.1 in the cableTV box, there is audio on all channels including HD channels with DD5.1. But obviously this way there is no nice DD5.1 and all output audio are just 2.0 channels. Not good too...
Then I tried connecting cableTV box directly to TV via HDMI and now there is audio even when DD5.1 is enabled in cableTV box.
Conclusion: The V673 does not carry Dolby Digital audio in the 'Standby Through' mode.
If that is your conclusion then you have a bad receiver because it not only carries DD but 7.1 and 3d in standby through. The fact that you are getting audio on some channels and not others means that it is not a hookup problem to me. There is no signal that yur box can snd to the tg that the receiver cannot pass through. DD 2.0, DD 2.1, DD 5.1 7.1, 3d, etc. if it is working properly and you have a good cable.
Edited by Bond 007 - 9/9/12 at 9:29am
post #369 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

it is working properly and you have a good cable.

I learned a cable lesson with an ARC compatible TV and reciever. Initially tried a standard HDMI cable that did not work, had to go out and buy a cable that was capable of carrying ARC data. Big cost difference too.
post #370 of 3379
Any HDMI cable can carry ARC audio ... you simply replaced a defective cable.
post #371 of 3379
Big THANK YOU to ryan0000 for the Electronics Expo discount. Really appreciate your sharing as it has saved quite a few people, including me, a lot of money.

Being super cheap, I was a little bummed that EE lists the 671 for $429.88 plus $29.99 shipping. But, hey, $459.87 beats Amazon's $549.95. However, a quick Google search for EE coupons brought up several that take $70.57 off for a total of $389.30 shipped! I used: shopearly but LSDA102011 and LSDA101811 also reduced the price by the same amount. Oddly, they didn't work at all on the v673 and will fail if you enter in Amazon's coupon code field. The solution is to simply go to EE's web site, add the 671 to your cart, apply the code and then checkout however you wish.

Now I wait like everyone else for the email about the upgrade. Funny how my perspective changed when it was my money on the line. Not one person has reported actually receiving the 671 and still it's hard not to feel some apprehension.

Cheers!


Edit 9/11/12

Got the call this morning. 673 is on the way!
Edited by pkacz - 9/11/12 at 7:55pm
post #372 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Any HDMI cable can carry ARC audio ... you simply replaced a defective cable.

The cable worked just fine until trying to use ARC. It was a cheap generic cable. So I bought a high speed cable with ethernet and ARC etc and it worked.
post #373 of 3379
Okay, but to be clear .. you simply bought a high speed cable "with ethernet" which wasn't required as a high speed cable from Monoprice (w/o ethernet) would have worked just as well for < $5.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2
Edited by jdsmoothie - 9/10/12 at 2:44am
post #374 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Okay, but to be clear .. you simply bought a high speed cable "with ethernet" which wasn't required as a high speed cable from Monoprice (w/o ethernet) would have worked just as well for < $5.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

Bought my cables at Frys electronics nearby, wish I had taken the time to look online. Thats a great deal.
post #375 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

If that is your conclusion then you have a bad receiver because it not only carries DD but 7.1 and 3d in standby through. The fact that you are getting audio on some channels and not others means that it is not a hookup problem to me. There is no signal that yur box can snd to the tg that the receiver cannot pass through. DD 2.0, DD 2.1, DD 5.1 7.1, 3d, etc. if it is working properly and you have a good cable.

Thanks Bond for following up with me. After countless testings with different connections, settings, cables, I found out the following:

- My HD CableTV box is outputting DD5.1 cos when I hook it up via HDMI to the V673, the decoder info indicated 'Dolby Digital'.

- To test if my TV supports DD5.1, I connected my BDP to TV and playback DVD movie with DD5.1 and it has got audio. Even pass thru from BDP > V673 > TV also has got DD5.1 audio. So problem does not lie with the Panasonic TV.

- Directly connecting cableTV box to TV via HDMI without pass thru via V673 = no audio with DD5.1 enabled, but has got audio when DD5.1 is disabled. Tried different 1.3b, 1.4 highspeed HDMI cables no difference in result.

Like you mentioned, it is not a pass thru issue with the V673. My bad to conclude prematurely.

Looks like my cableTV box simply does not like my TV and has handshake problems when outputting DD5.1 from the box to TV.

I have sent some emails to the tech supports of cableTV and Panasonic TV. Hopefully they can offer some help.

Once again, thanks to all who have offered your advices. Love this forum!
post #376 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by orixy View Post

Thanks Bond for following up with me. After countless testings with different connections, settings, cables, I found out the following:
- My HD CableTV box is outputting DD5.1 cos when I hook it up via HDMI to the V673, the decoder info indicated 'Dolby Digital'.
Although in this instance the cable box is likely passing DD 5.1, note that it can also likely pass DD 2.1.
- To test if my TV supports DD5.1, I connected my BDP to TV and playback DVD movie with DD5.1 and it has got audio. Even pass thru from BDP > V673 > TV also has got DD5.1 audio. So problem does not lie with the Panasonic TV.
More than likely the TV actually "cannot" accept DD 5.1, rather once the BDP recognizes a stereo device is connected, it will pass the stereo track stored on the BD.
- Directly connecting cableTV box to TV via HDMI without pass thru via V673 = no audio with DD5.1 enabled, but has got audio when DD5.1 is disabled. Tried different 1.3b, 1.4 highspeed HDMI cables no difference in result.
The cable box can only pass what you direct it to pass. As the TV cannot accept DD 5.1, trying to pass it from the cable box results in no audio from the TV's speakers.

Like you mentioned, it is not a pass thru issue with the V673. My bad to conclude prematurely.
Looks like my cableTV box simply does not like my TV and has handshake problems when outputting DD5.1 from the box to TV.
I have sent some emails to the tech supports of cableTV and Panasonic TV. Hopefully they can offer some help.
Once again, thanks to all who have offered your advices. Love this forum!
post #377 of 3379
Hi,
I'm debating in my mind whether to go with a onkyo txnr717 or a yamaha y630 or 720.
(the onkyo hdmi switching problems I read on the web are scaring the hell out of me btw )

Do either of the yamaha units come with a 110-240 volt supply?,
If I buy one of the yamahas from the EE site, will I end up with a 110 volt only unit?
I'm based in europe where we use 240volts, so that would be a bit of a disaster.
post #378 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I disagree with your cable box to tv comment. Any decent tv will take a 5.1 signal and downconvert it to 2.0 to play it from the tv speakers. Every tv that I have owned has played a 5.1 signal through the speakers. Even the neww over the air is broadcast in DD 5.1 now days. Does that mean he should get no sound when watching the local news?
post #379 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelillis View Post

Hi,
I'm debating in my mind whether to go with a onkyo txnr717 or a yamaha y630 or 720.
(the onkyo hdmi switching problems I read on the web are scaring the hell out of me btw )
Do either of the yamaha units come with a 110-240 volt supply?,
If I buy one of the yamahas from the EE site, will I end up with a 110 volt only unit?
I'm based in europe where we use 240volts, so that would be a bit of a disaster.

According to the Yamaha user guides, the "General models" have a voltage selector switch. The U.S. models are 110-120 only. Wherever you order from, you should call first to confirm exactly what you're getting.
post #380 of 3379
- My HD CableTV box is outputting DD5.1 cos when I hook it up via HDMI to the V673, the decoder info indicated 'Dolby Digital'.
Although in this instance the cable box is likely passing DD 5.1, note that it can also likely pass DD 2.1.
>>> Hmm... if the V673 indicates 'Dolby Digital' and 7.1 speakers lights up, is it DD5.1 or DD2.1? If not definitive, how then can I find out?

- To test if my TV supports DD5.1, I connected my BDP to TV and playback DVD movie with DD5.1 and it has got audio. Even pass thru from BDP > V673 > TV also has got DD5.1 audio. So problem does not lie with the Panasonic TV.
More than likely the TV actually "cannot" accept DD 5.1, rather once the BDP recognizes a stereo device is connected, it will pass the stereo track stored on the BD.
>>> The specs of my TV indicated support for 'Dolby Digital Plus / DolbyPulse / DTS 2.0+Digital Out'. (specs here: http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/asia/et5_lcd_spec.html). Didnt specifically mentioned 'Dolby Digital' but only 'Dolby Digital Plus'. Is the Plus similar/compatible with plain Dolby Digital 5.1?

- Directly connecting cableTV box to TV via HDMI without pass thru via V673 = no audio with DD5.1 enabled, but has got audio when DD5.1 is disabled. Tried different 1.3b, 1.4 highspeed HDMI cables no difference in result.
The cable box can only pass what you direct it to pass. As the TV cannot accept DD 5.1, trying to pass it from the cable box results in no audio from the TV's speakers.
>>> Havent gotten reply from the Panasonic tech support to confirm if Dolby Digital 5.1 is supported or not.
post #381 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I disagree with your cable box to tv comment. Any decent tv will take a 5.1 signal and downconvert it to 2.0 to play it from the tv speakers. Every tv that I have owned has played a 5.1 signal through the speakers. Even the neww over the air is broadcast in DD 5.1 now days. Does that mean he should get no sound when watching the local news?

Yep, my local TV channel is broadcasted in HD 1080i and DD 5.1. Even my 5yrs old LG 42" LCD supports DD5.1 and has got audio in this setup. Too bad I can get sound from the cable box to the new Panasonic TV with DD 5.1 enabled.....

Let's see what the tech support guys say.
post #382 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by orixy View Post

Yep, my local TV channel is broadcasted in HD 1080i and DD 5.1. Even my 5yrs old LG 42" LCD supports DD5.1 and has got audio in this setup. Too bad I can get sound from the cable box to the new Panasonic TV with DD 5.1 enabled.....
Let's see what the tech support guys say.
Almost certainly the cable box compatibility issue. I would schedule a cable tech tocome out ASAP and tell them to bring a defferent box with him. My cable company carries several different brands of boxes. That may be something to look into also.
post #383 of 3379
I just wanted to say that my story is exactly the same as pkacz's et al. After reading this thread yesterday, I ordered the 671 on line. Today, EE called me to tell me that the 671 was discontinued and that they were giving me a complimentary upgrade to the 673. I got the 673 for $390 bucks including shipping. They are selling the 673 for $600, plus shipping! Don't forget to order through the Ebates site for a 2.5% rebate.
post #384 of 3379
As a reminder, the MSRP of the 673 is $600 which is the price that many sites sell it for; however, some sites like EE sell it for up to 30% off MSRP right out of the gate, whether you go through the Amazon (671) route or just pick up the phone and call them.
post #385 of 3379
jdsmoothie is correct about the discount from list, of course. Ebay has them for the mid-$400s. I went the route I did because I was concerned that if I called EE, the agent might check the inventory and reject the order or might not accept the $70.57 discount code. It is possible that neither of those things would have happened.
post #386 of 3379
I also took advantage of this deal at EE. Got my upgrade notice this morning with a total cost of $390. Wow!! Things are even better because I put my 6090 on craigslist for $200 and have a buyer. So my net cost for a new 673 is $190!!!! Thanks to all who provided the info for this deal!!!
post #387 of 3379
While using the web control with RX-V673, equipped with YWA-10: The 'short cut' does not work because webpage ip address changes occasionally. What is the best procedure to prevent this? In other words how do I create a permanent short cut in windows or bookmark that always takes me to the RX-V673 Web Control Center?
post #388 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub1996 View Post

While using the web control with RX-V673, equipped with YWA-10: The 'short cut' does not work because webpage ip address changes occasionally. What is the best procedure to prevent this? In other words how do I create a permanent short cut in windows or bookmark that always takes me to the RX-V673 Web Control Center?
Wow I had no idea there was a web control panel! At any rate, assuming that your network is set up the way most people's are, you need to set up a static route in your router. The Yamaha doesn't control it; the network does.
post #389 of 3379
Hello,

My setup is PC>Receiver>TV. This provides me with the receivers onscreen display and my Windows desktop. It seems the receiver has a built in screensaver which overrides my Windows screensaver "sometimes." Is there a way to disable the receivers screensaver?

Thanks!
post #390 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkacz View Post

Big THANK YOU to ryan0000 for the Electronics Expo discount. Really appreciate your sharing as it has saved quite a few people, including me, a lot of money.
Being super cheap, I was a little bummed that EE lists the 671 for $429.88 plus $29.99 shipping. But, hey, $459.87 beats Amazon's $549.95. However, a quick Google search for EE coupons brought up several that take $70.57 off for a total of $389.30 shipped! I used: shopearly but LSDA102011 and LSDA101811 also reduced the price by the same amount. Oddly, they didn't work at all on the v673 and will fail if you enter in Amazon's coupon code field. The solution is to simply go to EE's web site, add the 671 to your cart, apply the code and then checkout however you wish.
Now I wait like everyone else for the email about the upgrade. Funny how my perspective changed when it was my money on the line. Not one person has reported actually receiving the 671 and still it's hard not to feel some apprehension.
Cheers!
Edit 9/11/12
Got the call this morning. 673 is on the way!

Thank you, you and ryan0000. I followed your method and placed an order today for the same price. I didn't write down the order number thinking that they'll email me with the confirmation, but I didn't receive any email, not even an auto-reply. Is that normal for them?
Well, at least their web site states 100% satisfaction guarantee, so the worst would be paying for the shipping, both ways, if I get the 671.
Hopefully, I'll hear something from them soon, the good news that is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR