or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 24

post #691 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

Can anyone tell me if this receiver has any kind of volume limit cut-off type setting? I just installed it in a clubhouse theater room for a student housing complex. I set all the speakers to -10dbs and the trim setting to -6dbs, but i would like to keep the main volume from going over 0.0dbs if possible; and at the moment, I'm not seeing anything else in the menus. The Onkyo we had before this one had that feature, and it was handy at keeping the students from going too crazy with possibly damaging the equipment (and their hearing, lol).
Yes. You can set the maximum volume and also the volume that the receiver powers on at. I am not at home now but Menu - Setup will get you close. There is also a way to lock the settings so that they cant change them.
post #692 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

Can anyone tell me if this receiver has any kind of volume limit cut-off type setting? I just installed it in a clubhouse theater room for a student housing complex. I set all the speakers to -10dbs and the trim setting to -6dbs, but i would like to keep the main volume from going over 0.0dbs if possible; and at the moment, I'm not seeing anything else in the menus. The Onkyo we had before this one had that feature, and it was handy at keeping the students from going too crazy with possibly damaging the equipment (and their hearing, lol).
Yes. You can set the maximum volume and also the volume that the receiver powers on at. I am not at home now but Menu - Setup will get you close. There is also a way to lock the settings so that they cant change them.
post #693 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

Can anyone tell me if this receiver has any kind of volume limit cut-off type setting? I just installed it in a clubhouse theater room for a student housing complex. I set all the speakers to -10dbs and the trim setting to -6dbs, but i would like to keep the main volume from going over 0.0dbs if possible; and at the moment, I'm not seeing anything else in the menus. The Onkyo we had before this one had that feature, and it was handy at keeping the students from going too crazy with possibly damaging the equipment (and their hearing, lol).
Yes. You can set the maximum volume and also the volume that the receiver powers on at. I am not at home now but Menu - Setup will get you close. There is also a way to lock the settings so that they cant change them.
post #694 of 3401
Hi,

Is there any way to change the sound settings in ZONE 2. I have my speakers playing airplay in the bedroom, I was wondering whether I could tweak the sound at all??

Thanks
post #695 of 3401
Thnx for the reply 007. I'll dig more into it next week.
post #696 of 3401
^^^^
I think you need to repeat that thank you two more times wink.gif
post #697 of 3401
Help! Shut down last night after watching NFL and all was well, went to fire it up this morning and all I get is the small red LED (next to the power button) blinking for about 5 seconds then nothing. I disconnected all speakers/HDMI cables and get the same thing. Is it blown?

Thank you for any advice, Yamaha Support is out until next week.

Gary
post #698 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRad View Post

Help! Shut down last night after watching NFL and all was well, went to fire it up this morning and all I get is the small red LED (next to the power button) blinking for about 5 seconds then nothing. I disconnected all speakers/HDMI cables and get the same thing. Is it blown?
Thank you for any advice, Yamaha Support is out until next week.
Gary

I'm at work and don't have time to pour through the manual but I think there's some button combination that you can push that will do a hard reset of the machine. Hopefully the hardware is fine and it's just a major software brain freeze.
post #699 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRad View Post

Help! Shut down last night after watching NFL and all was well, went to fire it up this morning and all I get is the small red LED (next to the power button) blinking for about 5 seconds then nothing. I disconnected all speakers/HDMI cables and get the same thing. Is it blown?
Thank you for any advice, Yamaha Support is out until next week.
Gary

I would blame the football game. Watching the Jets play like that can do some very strange things to electronic equipment.
post #700 of 3401
I found one site regarding an older amp that said to hold down the Straight, Tone, and Power buttons for five seconds but that didn't do anything... I have a request into Yamaha but they are away until Monday..
post #701 of 3401
I'm connecting the uverse receiver to theYamaha v673 via HDMI and then the Yamaha via HDMI (out) to the Panasonic HDMI 4 and I'm not getting neither audio nor video. Can you please advise?
post #702 of 3401
I keep getting HDMI out whenever I turned off the TV. Nothing I can do in the settings can rectify this. It even happened when I was listening to the radio. While it can produce sound, it came out crackled, unless I use pure direct mode. Must the TV be turned on always whenever we use the amplifier?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
post #703 of 3401
I'm connecting the uverse receiver to theYamaha v673 via HDMI and then the Yamaha via HDMI (out) to the Panasonic HDMI 4 and I'm not getting neither audio nor video. Can you please advise?


Which HMDI input slot do you have your uverse hooked up to on the 673? Do you have that particular HDMI selected on the 673?
Edited by highdefav1 - 11/25/12 at 6:33pm
post #704 of 3401
I keep getting HDMI out whenever I turned off the TV. Nothing I can do in the settings can rectify this. It even happened when I was listening to the radio. While it can produce sound, it came out crackled, unless I use pure direct mode. Must the TV be turned on always whenever we use the amplifier?

Do you mean does the TV have to be on for you to listen to the radio, CD, music via USB, AirPlay, etc from the 673? No. Simply select the source on the receiver.
post #705 of 3401
Done that. For example, when I was playing music on my Media player which is connected to 673 via HDMI, and get the TV turned off, HDMI out will be blinking and there would be no sound. On Tuner or Internet radio, TV=on=play. TV=off=crackled sound with HDMI out blinking. On USB playback, tv=on=ok. TV=off=no sound. Is this normal?
post #706 of 3401
Any one knows how to enable 'Pandora' on RX-V673B (Canada)?

I bought it from BBY Canada, and downloaded the latest Firmware from the US site but after upgrade I only see the SeriusXM and bunch of radio stations but no Pandora...I plan to bypass the US only Pandora limitation using tunlr DNS (works on all other devices) but I just need to know how to enable Pandora on this model after the firmware...I googled for days without hints.


Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #707 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by koby_bd View Post

Any one knows how to enable 'Pandora' on RX-V673B (Canada)?

I bought it from BBY Canada, and downloaded the latest Firmware from the US site but after upgrade I only see the SeriusXM and bunch of radio stations but no Pandora...I plan to bypass the US only Pandora limitation using tunlr DNS (works on all other devices) but I just need to know how to enable Pandora on this model after the firmware...I googled for days without hints.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
There is no "enable". If it does not show up when you cycle with the "Net" button then the receiver does not have it.
post #708 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by koby_bd View Post

Any one knows how to enable 'Pandora' on RX-V673B (Canada)?

I bought it from BBY Canada, and downloaded the latest Firmware from the US site but after upgrade I only see the SeriusXM and bunch of radio stations but no Pandora...I plan to bypass the US only Pandora limitation using tunlr DNS (works on all other devices) but I just need to know how to enable Pandora on this model after the firmware...I googled for days without hints.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pandora can only be used in the USA. That's probably why our receiver doesn't get it.
post #709 of 3401
Just a follow-up, Yamaha Support emailed me back and told me it had to go to a repair facility, luckily it's only about 20 minutes away from my home..
post #710 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRad View Post

Just a follow-up, Yamaha Support emailed me back and told me it had to go to a repair facility, luckily it's only about 20 minutes away from my home..

That sucks but you're lucky the repair facility is so close. Really, having it die this soon after buying it, you think they'd let you just swap out for a new one.
post #711 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfred Man View Post

That sucks but you're lucky the repair facility is so close. Really, having it die this soon after buying it, you think they'd let you just swap out for a new one.

Not having much luck with any part of my new system, have a new Samsung UN60ES7500F LED and last week noticed (can only see it when the screen is a light color, which was grey when the cable went out) a 3" line that looks like sun glare. Can't see it when the screen is dark, line location in the picture (actual line is much thinner)... Went through the usual crap with Samsung support, woman says "nothing wrong with the TV", I went off and now waiting for a call from "tech"..

post #712 of 3401
Sorry for the noob question.... But how can I be certain that its true HD & DTS- Hd sound I'm listening to?
post #713 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow537 View Post

Sorry for the noob question.... But how can I be certain that its true HD & DTS- Hd sound I'm listening to?
Hit info on the remote and the display will tell you.
post #714 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow537 View Post

Sorry for the noob question.... But how can I be certain that its true HD & DTS- Hd sound I'm listening to?

Your receiver should state what audio is playing on the display. Mine usually says DTS Master.
post #715 of 3401
I have a 10 yr old Integra DTR 7.2 that has served me well. My dilemma is that I just got a new TV to replace a 10 yr old rear projection one. I need to wall mount and hide the wiring behind studs. My friends have suggested that I get a new receiver with HDMI to simplify wiring (I have 3 devices that have hdmi--Fios TV, Apple tv and blu-ray dvd. A new Integra will cost about $2000. My question is: if my budget is about $500-$600, will a new Yamaha receiver give me the same quality sound as the old Integra? Will ANY new receiver in this price range be at least as good as my old Integra?
post #716 of 3401
Does anyone know if the deal at Amazon where you attempt to get a 671 and they upgrade you to a 720 is still going on?? I just got the 573 and I love it but if I can get the 720 for cheaper then I will return the 573 which I got at Best Buy for 530 with tax, yeah I know a bit expensive but I feel worth it. I also have the option of getting an open box 710-a for really cheap but I'm not really sure either of these options are worth over the 573. Looking at the specs it seems the 720 is very similar to the 671 in watts, weight and most of the features. I understand that the 673rxv/720rxa weigh a bit more then the 573 as well as produce more wattage per channel. Just ugraded from a Pioneer vsx-921, yes I said upgraded lol. The Pioneer replaced a Sony strdh820 which I was extremly happy with SQ wise but felt at the time Sony was inferior and got a case of the "what if's" which seems to be a common thing in this hobby lol. Turned out even after getting into tuning everything using an spl meter rather then keep the MCACC settings for the levels it still somehow sounded flat with weak surround sound immersion in movies although quite good playing 2 channel music. The Sony, at least for my room and speakers, had much better room correction with tones and white noise as does the Yamaha while the Pioneer only ouput white noise and didn't seem nearly as good. It's a shame because I believe for the money Pioneer makes good subs, speakers and car stereos or at least they used to. I wanted the Yamaha 571 orginally but it was just out of my price range at the time. I was looking at the Denon 1913 and the Sony Strdn1030 as well which is getting some rave reviews but I figured I couldn't go wrong with Yamaha, they always seemed to produce great sounding reliable audio equipment, minus the bad period I heard they went through in the late 90's to early 00's. In any case I want the receiver which has the best SQ and I'm perfectly happy with what I have now but alas another case of the what if's has infected me lol. BTW my setup is Polk moniter 50's front, cs1 center, moniter 30's side surrounds and omw3 back surrounds so no not close to the best out there but good for the money and obviously miles ahead of any other HTIB setup I had before. Any opinions would be welcome. Also it seems that there isn't yet a 573 owners thread anywhere on this forum or am I just missing something although I suppose the 673 is quite similar. Oh and I swear last question but does the 673 or 710/720 have separate crossover settings for each speaker or just one global setting?? Thanks!
Edited by viper186 - 12/2/12 at 6:21am
post #717 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper186 View Post

Does anyone know if the deal at Amazon where you attempt to get a 671 and they upgrade you to a 720 is still going on?? I just got the 573 and I love it but if I can get the 720 for cheaper then I will return the 573 which I got at Best Buy for 530 with tax, yeah I know a bit expensive but I feel worth it. I also have the option of getting an open box 710-a for really cheap but I'm not really sure either of these options are worth over the 573. Looking at the specs it seems the 720 is very similar to the 671 in watts, weight and most of the features. I understand that the 673rxv/720rxa weigh a bit more then the 573 as well as produce more wattage per channel. Just ugraded from a Pioneer vsx-921, yes I said upgraded lol. The Pioneer replaced a Sony strdh820 which I was extremly happy with SQ wise but felt at the time Sony was inferior and got a case of the "what if's" which seems to be a common thing in this hobby lol. Turned out even after getting into tuning everything using an spl meter rather then keep the MCACC settings for the levels it still somehow sounded flat with weak surround sound immersion in movies although quite good playing 2 channel music. The Sony, at least for my room and speakers, had much better room correction with tones and white noise as does the Yamaha while the Pioneer only ouput white noise and didn't seem nearly as good. It's a shame because I believe for the money Pioneer makes good subs, speakers and car stereos or at least they used to. I wanted the Yamaha 571 orginally but it was just out of my price range at the time. I was looking at the Denon 1913 and the Sony Strdn1030 as well which is getting some rave reviews but I figured I couldn't go wrong with Yamaha, they always seemed to produce great sounding reliable audio equipment, minus the bad period I heard they went through in the late 90's to early 00's. In any case I want the receiver which has the best SQ and I'm perfectly happy with what I have now but alas another case of the what if's has infected me lol. BTW my setup is Polk moniter 50's front, cs1 center, moniter 30's side surrounds and omw3 back surrounds so no not close to the best out there but good for the money and obviously miles ahead of any other HTIB setup I had before. Any opinions would be welcome. Also it seems that there isn't yet a 573 owners thread anywhere on this forum or am I just missing something although I suppose the 673 is quite similar. Oh and I swear last question but does the 673 or 710/720 have separate crossover settings for each speaker or just one global setting?? Thanks!
Crossover is global but you can equalize each speaker individually as well as volume and distance of course. No idea about that deal. It was from Electronics Expo through Amazon. Havent heard anything about it for a couple of months. I think it was only until they sold out. You can call EE and see what they say.
post #718 of 3401
Hi Folks,
Just joined the club. Purchased the RX-V673 and am having a great time with it.

I just have one quick question. I'm manually setting up the audio settings but can't seem to understand how to do the Levels adjustment. I've set up many other receivers and always use a spl meter. I'm used to increasing or decreasing the sound levels to each speaker while a test tone is playing for each speaker. I found the test tone in the settings menu of the 673 but how do I adjust levels while I'm there. The test tones pass from one speaker to the next automatically and there are no adjustments allowed while it cycles through the 5 channels. The "Test Tone" instructions on page 93 has just one sentence and was no help. Either I'm blind or just missed the instruction in the owners manual.

Very puzzled???

Thank you in advance for your help.
Jay
post #719 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindNoise View Post

Hi Folks,
Just joined the club. Purchased the RX-V673 and am having a great time with it.
I just have one quick question. I'm manually setting up the audio settings but can't seem to understand how to do the Levels adjustment. I've set up many other receivers and always use a spl meter. I'm used to increasing or decreasing the sound levels to each speaker while a test tone is playing for each speaker. I found the test tone in the settings menu of the 673 but how do I adjust levels while I'm there. The test tones pass from one speaker to the next automatically and there are no adjustments allowed while it cycles through the 5 channels. The "Test Tone" instructions on page 93 has just one sentence and was no help. Either I'm blind or just missed the instruction in the owners manual.
Very puzzled???
Thank you in advance for your help.
Jay
That "Test Tone" is really there just to make sure that you don't have lr mixed up with rr for example. YPAO will set the volumes for you. If you want to do something like that yourself you will have to get a calibration disc to put in your bluray player that plays test tones for as long as you want from each speaker. Disney WOW disc for example.
post #720 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

That "Test Tone" is really there just to make sure that you don't have lr mixed up with rr for example. YPAO will set the volumes for you. If you want to do something like that yourself you will have to get a calibration disc to put in your bluray player that plays test tones for as long as you want from each speaker. Disney WOW disc for example.

Thanks Bond,
Wow...so there is no manual set up of the audio levels!!! This is the first receiver I've come across that can't do this. I was hoping not to to do YPAO as the 673 is located in the basement of the house and I'd have to get an extension for the mic. Even if i get a calibration disc there is no way for the 673 to actually play a flat level to adjust to. In my past receivers once the test tones are played by the receiver it is a flat fixed level for the spl to read off of and can not be control by the master volume. How does such a disc work?

Thanks again for the help.
Jay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR