or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 25

post #721 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindNoise View Post

Thanks Bond,
Wow...so there is no manual set up of the audio levels!!! This is the first receiver I've come across that can't do this. I was hoping not to to do YPAO as the 673 is located in the basement of the house and I'd have to get an extension for the mic. Even if i get a calibration disc there is no way for the 673 to actually play a flat level to adjust to. In my past receivers once the test tones are played by the receiver it is a flat fixed level for the spl to read off of and can not be control by the master volume. How does such a disc work?
Thanks again for the help.
Jay
I honestly dont know. I am not an engineer. I ran the YPAO and tweaked it to taste in the setup menu and am very happy with it. You can set the volume of each speaker individually but it doesnt sound like thats what you are looking for. This thread is pretty dead. You may be better off in a settings or setup thread. There is probably a Disney WOW disc thread.
Edited by Bond 007 - 12/4/12 at 9:43pm
post #722 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindNoise View Post

...I found the test tone in the settings menu of the 673 but how do I adjust levels while I'm there. The test tones pass from one speaker to the next automatically and there are no adjustments allowed while it cycles through the 5 channels.

After you turn the test tone on, you should be able to navigate to the speaker level settings page and the tone will remain on (and while doing level setting the tone stays with the speaker you are adjusting). At least that's the way Yamaha receivers used to work (I don't have the 673).
post #723 of 3379
Thanks Bond and Kirk,
On your advice I'll start new thread in Settings and see if anyone has more information.

Jay
post #724 of 3379
Hi,
I´ve bought an RX-V673 receiver last week.
I´ve configured the connections as stated in the "Easy setup guide":
I´ve connected the DVD player to HDMI1 input and the TV set to the HDMI out connector.
When I turn on everything, a red "HDMI" steady indicator appears on the display. Beneath it, a blinking red "OUT" indicator is also displayed.
But, by no means was I able to get video signal to the TV.

I´ve also tried the advanced setup, doing a complete reset and switching the TV format from NTSC to PAL with the same result: a "no signal" message keeps displaying on the TV set.

Please any help will be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Juan
post #725 of 3379
Hdy tha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Crossover is global but you can equalize each speaker individually as well as volume and distance of course. No idea about that deal. It was from Electronics Expo through Amazon. Havent heard anything about it for a couple of months. I think it was only until they sold out. You can call EE and see what they say.
nk

Hey thanks for the info, I ended finding an rxa-710 for a steal, saving myself a crap load of money and getting a much better receiver so I'm returning the 573.
post #726 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaffner View Post

Hi,
I´ve bought an RX-V673 receiver last week.
I´ve configured the connections as stated in the "Easy setup guide":
I´ve connected the DVD player to HDMI1 input and the TV set to the HDMI out connector.
When I turn on everything, a red "HDMI" steady indicator appears on the display. Beneath it, a blinking red "OUT" indicator is also displayed.
But, by no means was I able to get video signal to the TV.
I´ve also tried the advanced setup, doing a complete reset and switching the TV format from NTSC to PAL with the same result: a "no signal" message keeps displaying on the TV set.
Please any help will be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Juan
The "Out" indicator should not be blinking so that narrows it down. Have you tried a different hdmi cable? If you dont have another one then switch them. Do another reset to be sure you havent changed something that you shouldnt have (leave it on NTSC unless you are in Europe). Recheck your DVD settings.
post #727 of 3379
Thank you Bond for your support.
I´ve switched HDMI cables but i still can´t see anything on the TV screen.
Btw, are there different types of HDMI cables?, which one should I use?
Despite DVD settings, isn´t it supposed to see the unit settings menu on the TV screen?

Thanks again!
BR,
Juan
post #728 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaffner View Post

Thank you Bond for your support.
I´ve switched HDMI cables but i still can´t see anything on the TV screen.
Btw, are there different types of HDMI cables?, which one should I use?
Despite DVD settings, isn´t it supposed to see the unit settings menu on the TV screen?
Thanks again!
BR,
Juan
There are different types of hdmi cables but thats not the problem. Try switching ports on the tv and receiver. Maybe one of the hdmi ports is bad. Are you able to get anthing else to work ie cable box, game? Do you have a different component you can try? The blinking red "out" may be telling you something is wrong with the 673. Put a call in to Yamaha and have a tech call you back while you are trying to get it figured out.
Edited by Bond 007 - 12/6/12 at 7:02am
post #729 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

There are different types of hdmi cables but thats not the problem. Try switching ports on the tv and receiver. Maybe one of the hdmi ports is bad. Are you able to get anthing else to work ie cable box, game? Do you have a different component you can try? The blinking red "out" may be telling you something is wrong with the 673. Put a call in to Yamaha and have a tech call you back while you are trying to get it figured out.

Second this. The blinking red "out" means that the receiver is not detecting an active display on the other end. It normally means the TV is off or set to a different input. Here, it could also mean the HDMI out on the AVR is bad, or the HDMI in on the TV is bad. Try connecting the DVD directly to the TV using HDMI first - if that works, the TV input is good, and you're set to the right input. That will narrow the problem down to the AVR at least. Good luck!
post #730 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

Second this. The blinking red "out" means that the receiver is not detecting an active display on the other end. It normally means the TV is off or set to a different input. Here, it could also mean the HDMI out on the AVR is bad, or the HDMI in on the TV is bad. Try connecting the DVD directly to the TV using HDMI first - if that works, the TV input is good, and you're set to the right input. That will narrow the problem down to the AVR at least. Good luck!
Connecting direct to tv is a good idea. I think you are wrong about the light though. When my tv is off, neither the hdmi or out light is displayed at all. I have never seen either one blink.
post #731 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Connecting direct to tv is a good idea. I think you are wrong about the light though. When my tv is off, neither the hdmi or out light is displayed at all. I have never seen either one blink.

Mine blinks whenever I have an audio-only source playing with the TV off. Not a huge deal, but I haven't found any way to prevent it, short of turning the TV on.

It may have to do with whether your TV is CEC-capable or has some other feature that keeps the HDMI connection active when its in standby? My TV doesn't have CEC or anything like that, so when it's off, the AVR just sees a dead port.
post #732 of 3379
Thank you Bond and JD!
I've tried what you suggested with no luck yet. Tv is working good if connected directly to DVD via HDMI.
I still cannot get signal on the TV from the avr while it is connected via HDMI.
However, I do have signal if I connect the unit to the tv via the yellow VIDEO connector.
How can I access the unit's setup menu with this configuration?
Again, thanks a lot,
Juan
post #733 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaffner View Post

Thank you Bond and JD!
I've tried what you suggested with no luck yet. Tv is working good if connected directly to DVD via HDMI.
I still cannot get signal on the TV from the avr while it is connected via HDMI.
However, I do have signal if I connect the unit to the tv via the yellow VIDEO connector.
How can I access the unit's setup menu with this configuration?
Again, thanks a lot,
Juan
Which unit. We are dealing with a tv, dvd player and receiver. I think you have a bad receiver. Call Yamaha if you have not already.
post #734 of 3379
newbe to this site, new to Yamaha rx v-673, just got it for 479.00. Have read alot about streaming Pandora and such but can not find "how to".
Can anyone help me? Love the amp but still finding out what it can do.
post #735 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by probman View Post

newbe to this site, new to Yamaha rx v-673, just got it for 479.00. Have read alot about streaming Pandora and such but can not find "how to".
Can anyone help me? Love the amp but still finding out what it can do.
Go to the Yamaha website and download the users manual.
post #736 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by probman View Post

newbe to this site, new to Yamaha rx v-673, just got it for 479.00. Have read alot about streaming Pandora and such but can not find "how to".
Can anyone help me? Love the amp but still finding out what it can do.

In order to get Pandora you need to update to the newest firmware. Download it from the yamaha site here. Put it on a USB flash drive in the main directory. Plug that into your receiver. Follow the instructions in the download.

It takes a while but when it's done Pandora will be on your options screen.
post #737 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

In order to get Pandora you need to update to the newest firmware. Download it from the yamaha site here. Put it on a USB flash drive in the main directory. Plug that into your receiver. Follow the instructions in the download.
It takes a while but when it's done Pandora will be on your options screen.
I forgot the 673 doesnt come with apandora already.I am trying to do the 671 and 673 threads. The 671 has it out of the box.
post #738 of 3379
updated online when option popped up on display, have not downloaded to usb yet, will have to check update #'s, but thank you for your response. have owner info already downloaded but guess I missed that chapter. Internet radio stations play fine. Great sound for bluray, compression release nice on mp3 but little disappointed on 5.1 when watching tv, (TWC) again still trying to firgure all this amp can do.
post #739 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by probman View Post

updated online when option popped up on display, have not downloaded to usb yet, will have to check update #'s, but thank you for your response. have owner info already downloaded but guess I missed that chapter. Internet radio stations play fine. Great sound for bluray, compression release nice on mp3 but little disappointed on 5.1 when watching tv, (TWC) again still trying to firgure all this amp can do.
When Pandora first became available for this receiver there were prblems downloading it online direct to the receiver. Ideally Pandora should have been in the update that you just did. You may want to go back 5or6 pages here and see what the issues were. Page 21.
Edited by Bond 007 - 12/8/12 at 6:27am
post #740 of 3379
Thanx, odd but when set up app to control this unit on asus 300 tablet pandora is now an input option. Now working on finding "true DTS".
post #741 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by probman View Post

Thanx, odd but when set up app to control this unit on asus 300 tablet pandora is now an input option. Now working on finding "true DTS".
You are streaming from the tablet. If you download the app you wont need the tablet. It will be built in.
post #742 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRad View Post

Help! Shut down last night after watching NFL and all was well, went to fire it up this morning and all I get is the small red LED (next to the power button) blinking for about 5 seconds then nothing. I disconnected all speakers/HDMI cables and get the same thing. Is it blown?
Thank you for any advice, Yamaha Support is out until next week.
Gary

Just to follow up, receiver was repaired under warranty, the 12V regulators in the power supply were replaced. All set.
post #743 of 3379
It streams from unit but for some reason the input for pandora did not appear until app set up. Streams without tablet now and just struck me odd that i went that route to get it. Pandora itself not big deal but am intersted in the amp doing all it was designed for. Thanx for the read and reply :-)
post #744 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRad View Post

Just to follow up, receiver was repaired under warranty, the 12V regulators in the power supply were replaced. All set.
Appreciate the update. Good to know.
post #745 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by probman View Post

It streams from unit but for some reason the input for pandora did not appear until app set up. Streams without tablet now and just struck me odd that i went that route to get it. Pandora itself not big deal but am intersted in the amp doing all it was designed for. Thanx for the read and reply :-)
Are you saying you downloaded Pandora to the receiver with your tablet through the app?
post #746 of 3379
no, only that the Pandora input did not appear until after I set up the app. Believe it just happened that I had done something correct during the process, just a matter of timing I would think. On a different issue. I have hdmi from Time Warner dvr connected to unit HDMI 1 and optical from dvr to unit av4 and the unit HDMI out to TV HDMI 1. Do not think I am getting the sound I should. When switch amp to av4 get better sound but no picture. I am unable to enter any decoding field but Dobly Digital. Does this sound correct? Went through on screen menus and could find no other options.
post #747 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by probman View Post

no, only that the Pandora input did not appear until after I set up the app. Believe it just happened that I had done something correct during the process, just a matter of timing I would think. On a different issue. I have hdmi from Time Warner dvr connected to unit HDMI 1 and optical from dvr to unit av4 and the unit HDMI out to TV HDMI 1. Do not think I am getting the sound I should. When switch amp to av4 get better sound but no picture. I am unable to enter any decoding field but Dobly Digital. Does this sound correct? Went through on screen menus and could find no other options.
Why are you using an optical cable? Too many "unit"s there for me to understand. Please be more specific so I can help. I run hdmi from cable box to 673 and hdmi from 673 to tv.
post #748 of 3379
correct, but option 3 with older tv without HDMI "control" shows to hook opitical cable from dvr too av4 on unit with hdmi input from dvr to amp then from the amp out to the tv. In owners book it shows 4 types of connections and # 3 fits my older samsung tv.
post #749 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by probman View Post

correct, but option 3 with older tv without HDMI "control" shows to hook opitical cable from dvr too av4 on unit with hdmi input from dvr to amp then from the amp out to the tv. In owners book it shows 4 types of connections and # 3 fits my older samsung tv.
I am having trouble understanding you so I guess we will have to do this in baby steps. Do you have an hdmi tv?
Edited by Bond 007 - 12/8/12 at 8:18pm
post #750 of 3379
3 hdmi inputs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR