or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 391

post #11701 of 13474
Lol. My wife and I do about 2500 hours a year, or at least that's been the trend.
post #11702 of 13474
Does anyone use "Source Direct" mode on their blu-ray for HDMI out directly to VT50 input? Wondering if it's desirable to bypass the video processor of a blu-ray player to send the video directly to the VT50.

Appreciated!
post #11703 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by merccrazy View Post

I have a Chad B calibrated 65vt50. Has anyone had a improvement at 1700 hours? I am wondering if there was a automatic voltage change internally. My whites on ISF night are like WHITE colors have more pop and detail improved a lot. I have not changed anything all I know is that it was a good change. I am going to the Charter cable company to see if they did anything. Is it possible that my signal was bad and now they fixed a problem? I don't understand why it looks brighter and clearer. Any input?

We must have 1500+ hours by now.

yes, I actually noticed this as well. While the TV still does make things looks soft at times (processing hasn't improved). It appears the drive did change a bit (voltage/phosphors aging?). And things look less dull in terms of contrast. While not a huge change, it's noticeable. It's an improvement to my eyes.
post #11704 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Does anyone use "Source Direct" mode on their blu-ray for HDMI out directly to VT50 input? Wondering if it's desirable to bypass the video processor of a blu-ray player to send the video directly to the VT50.

Appreciated!

I did a lot of testing with spears and Munsil and my OPPO, I ended up setting the oppo to output 1080p/60 ycbcr 444 and set Pure Direct to On. Problem with source direct is it sends 24p to the vt50, and in my testing I felt both the 60hz and 96hz settings were not as good as the OPPO handling the 24hz conversion.
post #11705 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I did a lot of testing with spears and Munsil and my OPPO, I ended up setting the oppo to output 1080p/60 ycbcr 444 and set Pure Direct to On. Problem with source direct is it sends 24p to the vt50, and in my testing I felt both the 60hz and 96hz settings were not as good as the OPPO handling the 24hz conversion.

Ok, so you are using the Oppo to handle the 24Hz conversion. What is ycbcr 444 and what does Pure Direct do?

Appreciated!

I'm considering the 103 or the 105. I'm not sure about the benefits of the 105 over the 103 for home theater aside from a potential overall impact of the better power supply.
post #11706 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I did a lot of testing with spears and Munsil and my OPPO, I ended up setting the oppo to output 1080p/60 ycbcr 444 and set Pure Direct to On. Problem with source direct is it sends 24p to the vt50, and in my testing I felt both the 60hz and 96hz settings were not as good as the OPPO handling the 24hz conversion.

Just to be clear, to set this up on my Oppo am I correct in making the following changes in the Video Setup Menu (Oppo 93)?

Output Resolution: 1080p
1080p24 Output: Off
HDMI Options Color Space: YCbCr 4:4:4

Did I get that right? I have the VT50 set to Pure Direct On.

Thanks!
post #11707 of 13474
^^ yes that's right.

I've been running it that way for a few weeks now and happy with it also.
post #11708 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

We must have 1500+ hours by now.

yes, I actually noticed this as well. While the TV still does make things looks soft at times (processing hasn't improved). It appears the drive did change a bit (voltage/phosphors aging?). And things look less dull in terms of contrast. While not a huge change, it's noticeable. It's an improvement to my eyes.

Interesting - I noticed this as well. Thought it was just me.
post #11709 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Ok, so you are using the Oppo to handle the 24Hz conversion. What is ycbcr 444 and what does Pure Direct do?

Appreciated!

I'm considering the 103 or the 105. I'm not sure about the benefits of the 105 over the 103 for home theater aside from a potential overall impact of the better power supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Just to be clear, to set this up on my Oppo am I correct in making the following changes in the Video Setup Menu (Oppo 93)?

Output Resolution: 1080p
1080p24 Output: Off
HDMI Options Color Space: YCbCr 4:4:4

Did I get that right? I have the VT50 set to Pure Direct On.

Thanks!

Yepp, those are my exact settings. Once I finished up picking the color space and 24p settings, I checked a few patterns with Pure Direct on/off, and felt on had better result.


jh, ycbcr is just a color space setting, RGB is the other. 444 is the chroma upsampling. Blurays are encoded at 420, so you have to pick 422 or 444. I find I see less banding with 444. Pure direct is a mode the vt50 has for a 1080p 444 signal, where it process that without any conversion.

Its crazy what displays do, some convert a 444 input to 422 before processing, then they convert ycbcr into RGB, all a mess. Pure direct is supposed to ensure as little conversions as possible if you feed the display 444.
post #11710 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

^^ yes that's right.

I've been running it that way for a few weeks now and happy with it also.

Thanks! Chad B will be here for my second calibration. I'm sure we'll re-validate all this when he's here, but I'm going to watch like this until he arrives (on the 22nd).
post #11711 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Thanks! Chad B will be here for my second calibration. I'm sure we'll re-validate all this when he's here, but I'm going to watch like this until he arrives (on the 22nd).

I'd suggest anyone grab the spears and Munsil disc. These aren't always cookie cutter because if you run thru an avr, there could be other factors. Their second gen disc will be out in a couple of weeks.

The big thing I was curious about was the handling of 24p. There is a good "wedge" test that helps with that evil. Good charts to ensure you have over scan, proper color space settings and charts that you can use to see if you are losing fine detail.
post #11712 of 13474
Oh, and as far as OPPO 103 vs 105, the only thing the 105 gives you benefit for is if you use analog audio and want the best AQ you can get. I owned a 93 and now the 103, they are pricey but at least you know it does things right. Granted Bluray pq won't really differ from a $150 Panasonic smile.gif
post #11713 of 13474
Much appreciated. I've been watching for the new Spears/Munsil. I was thinking that, if I get an Oppo or other blu ray player with two HDMI outputs that I'd run one directly to the VT50.
post #11714 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I'd suggest anyone grab the spears and Munsil disc. These aren't always cookie cutter because if you run thru an avr, there could be other factors. Their second gen disc will be out in a couple of weeks.

The big thing I was curious about was the handling of 24p. There is a good "wedge" test that helps with that evil. Good charts to ensure you have over scan, proper color space settings and charts that you can use to see if you are losing fine detail.

I run direct from HDMI 1 out to the VT50 for video; HDMI 2 supplies audio feed to the Anthem MRX-500. I've been using the Disney WOW disc for my consumer settings, and my full calibration was done by Jeff Meier back in February. Very pleased with the results.

Chad is coming out in a little over a week so that I can compare the two "masters'" work. I just can't seem to leave well enough alone and I'm looking forward to round two.
post #11715 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I run direct from HDMI 1 out to the VT50 for video; HDMI 2 supplies audio feed to the Anthem MRX-500. I've been using the Disney WOW disc for my consumer settings, and my full calibration was done by Jeff Meier back in February. Very pleased with the results.

Chad is coming out in a little over a week so that I can compare the two "masters'" work. I just can't seem to leave well enough alone and I'm looking forward to round two.

Using both HDMI outs is also a safe move. I was until I tested and found the 3313 was passing thru fine. WOW is a good one as well as DVE, I triple check with all 3. You might also consider calman and a i1 pro 2, the fun really begins when you start doing it yourself.
post #11716 of 13474
For the HDMI 2 (audio) is the Oppo sending bitstream or do you prefer the Oppo to process (MPCM)?
post #11717 of 13474
I've always just bitstreamed to the avr. For digital audio if you have a good player and good avr, should sound the same.
post #11718 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Does anyone use "Source Direct" mode on their blu-ray for HDMI out directly to VT50 input? Wondering if it's desirable to bypass the video processor of a blu-ray player to send the video directly to the VT50.

Appreciated!

If you have an Oppo, I would only use source direct if you have a video processor between your player and the VT. Otherwise, let the player do the video processing.
post #11719 of 13474
Which Have people here found to be more effective

1) Scrolling bar
2) Disney wow pixel flipper

Thanks

Bill
post #11720 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Which Have people here found to be more effective

1) Scrolling bar
2) Disney wow pixel flipper

Thanks

Bill
Are you asking about removing image retention? If so, here is what I think about mixing the source material that you watch.
post #11721 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I did a lot of testing with spears and Munsil and my OPPO, I ended up setting the oppo to output 1080p/60 ycbcr 444 and set Pure Direct to On. Problem with source direct is it sends 24p to the vt50, and in my testing I felt both the 60hz and 96hz settings were not as good as the OPPO handling the 24hz conversion.

I had not paid attention to this setting until your post. I looked in the manual, and it would appear that Pure Direct is only allowed to be turned on when you send it 1080p/60 YCbCr 4:4:4. Do I have that right?

I am using a Lumagen Radiance XS3D to upscale most sources (CATV, Media Player) to 1080p/60 YCbCr 4:2:2, but I could set it to output 4:4:4. This TV is in my family room, and is not really used for critical viewing, so I am not sure it would make a difference.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Mark
post #11722 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I did a lot of testing with spears and Munsil and my OPPO, I ended up setting the oppo to output 1080p/60 ycbcr 444 and set Pure Direct to On. Problem with source direct is it sends 24p to the vt50, and in my testing I felt both the 60hz and 96hz settings were not as good as the OPPO handling the 24hz conversion.

I had not paid attention to this setting until your post. I looked in the manual, and it would appear that Pure Direct is only allowed to be turned on when you send it 1080p/60 YCbCr 4:4:4. Do I have that right?

I am using a Lumagen Radiance XS3D to upscale most sources (CATV, Media Player) to 1080p/60 YCbCr 4:2:2, but I could set it to output 4:4:4. This TV is in my family room, and is not really used for critical viewing, so I am not sure it would make a difference.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Mark
Ask Bob Pariseau in the OPPO thread for your model.
post #11723 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Ask Bob Pariseau in the OPPO thread for your model.

I don't have an Oppo, only a Lumagen Radiance.
post #11724 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Ask Bob Pariseau in the OPPO thread for your model.

I don't have an Oppo, only a Lumagen Radiance.
Sorry.

Gadgtfreek was referring to OPPO settings including "Pure Direct" and I assumed too much. If you have a player that will output pure direct, wouldn't you do everything in the Lumagen Radiance? Again I'm assuming that "Pure Direct" is an input device setting.
Edited by htwaits - 4/12/13 at 10:22pm
post #11725 of 13474
I think you def want the lumagen doing as much as possible. You could put the OPPO on source direct and then set the lumagen to 1080p/60. I'd also try the lumagen outputting 422 vs 444 with pure direct on using spears and Munsil to test. I will say this, my vt50 had problems on fine color resolution with 422 from the OPPO, but passed with 444 and then again with 444 and pure direct on. Every penny I've owned seemed to do better with 444. These are all small things though, we trend to nitpick smile.gif
post #11726 of 13474
I think you def want the lumagen doing as much as possible. You could put the OPPO on source direct and then set the lumagen to 1080p/60. I'd also try the lumagen outputting 422 vs 444 with pure direct on using spears and Munsil to test. I will say this, my vt50 had problems on fine color resolution with 422 from the OPPO, but passed with 444 and then again with 444 and pure direct on. Every penny I've owned seemed to do better with 444. These are all small things though, we trend to nitpick smile.gif
post #11727 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by asacks View Post

Hi all -- I have had my 65vt50 for about a month and am loving it overall, except for one issue that has cropped up. I've recently noticed a problem accessing the Internet apps -- when I press the internet button on the remote, up comes "Connection Test" rather than the apps (suggesting that the TV is not connected over wifi). .

I have this same problem. Network Status shows connected, with four-five bars strength. My router is an Airport Extreme base station, connected with 11n at 2.4GHz. I have DSL with a pretty consistent 5Mbps download speed. But I always have to cycle through the connection test when I turn the TV on. Sometimes multiple cycles through the test before it connects.

Tonight, however, was the killer. I just discovered Amazon Instant video (I was living with old tech before). I watched Rango on it the other night without any issues. But tonight, watching The Perfect Game with the kids, I got disconnected at least five times before I gave up. It would go to a grey blank screen. If I pressed Internet on the remote, I could get back to the Internet screen, but I'd have to navigate to Amazon, search for the the title again and reload the movie, although it would resume in the same place I left off.

Is there any way to improve the wireless connection?
post #11728 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post

Is there any way to improve the wireless connection?

Without meaning to sound snarky, the only way to improve it is to use a wired connection.
post #11729 of 13474
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Are you asking about removing image retention? If so, here is what I think about mixing the source material that you watch.

That wasn't one of the options I provided, I know all about mixing source material

Which one of my 2 presented options works better just as an additional preventative measure.......

Any thoughts about those 2 options are greatly appreciated....
post #11730 of 13474
Scrolling bars wipes fairly well, I have used it once or twice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread