or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 113

post #3361 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

99% sure it would not.

D-NICE - sent you a pm... I know you don't like the new pm so this is a heads up wink.gif
post #3362 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

A quick question to VT50 owner's who also have/had a kuro. Which one do you prefer for a typical living room setup i.e. some room light? Thanks!

I prefer my 65vt50 over my Pro151.
post #3363 of 13486
A few initial impressions regarding my new TV, the delivery process, etc...

I ordered my television (TC-P55VT50) from Amazon and who used CEVA to deliver my panel. CEVA sent two delivery guys (in their very early 20's) who carried the TV into my house, down half a flight of stairs (my house is a bi-level) and into a spare bedroom in the basement where it will reside until I complete D-Nice's panel prep process. The delivery guys unboxed the set, and one offered to assemble the pedestal for me as 'he does about 3 of these per week' (I had previously read through the instructions on-line, so I'd know the exact procedure). Initially I let him begin, but I politely requested to take over when he didn't get the first bolt threaded properly eek.gif (he didn't do any damage). They then lifted the panel on to the pedestal while I installed the bolts to attach the two. They patiently stuck around while I checked for cracks in the screen with a flashlight, and ran through several slides to check for dead/stuck pixels or major vertical banding issues. Overall, I was pleased with the delivery.

My TV has ZERO dead or stuck pixels (hooray!) and only the very faintest single vertical band about two inches in from the right-hand edge of the screen. The vertical band is only visible (again very faintly) on the darkest two grey slides (which aren't very dark at all using the default custom setting prescribed for the panel prep procedure). Because of how faint it is while displaying a solid color, I’m assuming (and hoping) it won't be visible while watching real world content.

I am currently 41 hours into the panel prep process. Originally, I was planning to run D-Nice's photo-slides 10-12 hours per day and letting the TV cool down and 'rest' in between sessions, but so far I've been going 41 hours straight and the TV is barely warm at all. I'm impressed with how little heat this panel produces. My only real 'reference' for comparison is my parent's PRO-111FD. After 41 hours straight of running slides, the screen of the VT50 is radiating less heat than my parent's Elite does after just a few hours of watching actual content. At this point, I think I will run the slides 100 hours straight.

I am anxiously waiting for the panel prep procedure to be done and excited to see how well the set looks after entering D-Nice's settings once he has posted them. I realize the VT50 has not quite achieved the picture quality of the 9th and 9.5 gen Pioneer Elites, but if it comes close to the quality of my parent's 111FD (plus 5" larger cool.gif), I'll be very pleased.

One last thing... Just wanted shout out a big THANK YOU to Dewayne for all the work he has put in over the years that has benefited so many Pioneer and Panasonic plasma owners.
post #3364 of 13486
I just replied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmalc View Post

D-NICE - sent you a pm... I know you don't like the new pm so this is a heads up wink.gif
post #3365 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Frederick View Post

One last thing... Just wanted shout out a big THANK YOU to Dewayne for all the work he has put in over the years that has benefited so many Pioneer and Panasonic plasma owners.
You're welcome smile.gif
post #3366 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Frederick View Post

One last thing... Just wanted shout out a big THANK YOU to Dewayne for all the work he has put in over the years that has benefited so many Pioneer and Panasonic plasma owners.

+1
post #3367 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post

Samsung recommended this Monster MBL CLNKIT-SM Screen Clean

Here is what is says in the VT50 manual.

"The front of the display panel has been specially treated. Wipe the panel surface gently using only a cleaning cloth or a soft, lint-free cloth.

If the surface is particularly dirty, after cleaning up the dust, soak a soft, lint-free cloth in diluted mild liquid dish soap (1 part mild dish soap diluted by 100 times the amount of water) and then wring the cloth to remove excess liquid. Use this cloth to wipe the surface of the display panel, then wipe it evenly with a dry cloth of the same type until the surface is dry.

Do not scratch or hit the surface of the panel with fingernails or other hard objects. Furthermore, avoid contact with volatile substances such as insect sprays, solvents, and thinner, otherwise, the quality of the surface may be adversely affected."
post #3368 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

Others who know far more than I have stated that the VT50's "Auto" setting does not automatically detect the range properly

Wow are you serious? I have that issue with my 500M and it is really annoying because I have to go in and manually change the mode sometimes. I was hoping when I got my VT50 that it wouldn't have this problem.
Edited by Mac13 - 6/24/12 at 8:34pm
post #3369 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

A quick question to VT50 owner's who also have/had a kuro. Which one do you prefer for a typical living room setup i.e. some room light? Thanks!

I think that if you read through posts during the last week or two you'll get a fairly good idea of how some kuro owners feel. I know it's a lot but there are some really good posts by people who own kuros.
post #3370 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Frederick View Post

One last thing... Just wanted shout out a big THANK YOU to Dewayne for all the work he has put in over the years that has benefited so many Pioneer and Panasonic plasma owners.
You're welcome smile.gif

+1 even though he capped me tongue.gif
post #3371 of 13486
Mine is going to be broken in by tomorrow night. Wonder if anyone has good CALIBRATION SETTINGS they can pass on so I can test this sucker vs the Sharp I have right now (that is already calibrated). Thanks.
post #3372 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

There seems to be a discrepancy in the weight measurements of the 65" VT50, the Panasonic website lists it as 127.9 pounds while the user manual lists it as 105.9 pounds with stand, 93.7 pounds without (and yes I double checked, it's the specs listed specifically for the 65" VT50.) Which one is accurate?
I'm guessing the 127.9 lb. spec is the entire product shipping measurement with box and all? Though Amazon lists that as 132 lb.

I originally wrote: "There is not 22.4 lbs. of packaging, so that can't be accounting for the discrepancy I'm afraid. My shipping box -- with the shipper's label -- says 133 lbs. This suggests the TV is actually 128 lbs. as reported and that whatever you found in the user manual is, in fact, wrong. But it only suggests it, because for all I know the shipper is using a weight given to them by Panasonic without re-weighing the TV."

I based this on lifting the packaging several times and deciding there is no way it weighed more than 20 lbs.

So I weighed it. It weighs more than 20 lbs.

This leads my to believe that the manual is, in fact accurate (and I checked my manual too, it lines up with yours). Apparently, the TV is very close to 106 lbs., minus packaging.
Edited by rogo - 6/24/12 at 2:18pm
post #3373 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovermaster View Post

Since the price of the vt50 in Canada is so high I was wondering if I shouldbuyit I the u.s and bring it over. I'm not entirely sure because I think the warranty may be invalid in Canada should anything go wrong. Do you think it's advisable for me to buy it in the u.s?

The warranty won't be valid in Canada. Also, you'll have to pay provincial and Federal taxes at the border when you import the set into Canada.
What I would do is watch for sales of the VT50 at several vendors. Stores often have rotating sales on a weekly basis. For example, Gibby's in St.Catharines Ontario changes his prices constantly. It was like playing the stock market when I bought an Elite PRO-101FD monitor from him.
post #3374 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

If you can't hear any noise emanating from the TV with your ears to the back then you have poor hearing or the TV is off. To say there is zero noise is equivalent to claiming that your microwave makes zero sound either. Plus, after three weeks, your ear would get soar being stuck against the TV. biggrin.gif
Hell, even sheshe can hear something with her head back there! Now that is saying something. wink.gif
I get my hearing test every year not like you Moron...................not because you are hearing buzz not ment for every TV...............sorrry for you dude and get a life..biggrin.gif:D:D:D
post #3375 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

This question can't be answered in this thread without a civil war breaking out. Sorry that I am unable to help you.
Hey..... you.... over here.... shhhhh. Don't tell anyone I told you this but I prefer my vt50 over my 5020, even though my 2008 5020 was a tad better for high apl content. If you tell anyone I said that, I will flat out deny it. wink.gif

I already started war against you Dude...mad.gif
post #3376 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I originally wrote: "There is not 22.4 lbs. of packaging, so that can't be accounting for the discrepancy I'm afraid. My shipping box -- with the shipper's label -- says 133 lbs. This suggests the TV is actually 128 lbs. as reported and that whatever you found in the user manual is, in fact, wrong. But it only suggests it, because for all I know the shipper is using a weight given to them by Panasonic without re-weighing the TV."
I based this on lifting the packaging several times and deciding there is no way it weighed more than 20 lbs.
So I weighed it. It weighs more than 20 lbs.
This leads my to believe that the manual is, in fact accurate (and I checked my manual too, it lines up with yours). Apparently, the TV is very close to 106 lbs., minus packaging.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm trying to gauge whether it's possible for 2 regular individuals to mount this monster up high, above a fireplace.
post #3377 of 13486
Any word yet on when D-Nice will post his settings? I am contemplating whether or not to continue running the slides in order to use his settings if they get released within a day or two.
post #3378 of 13486
Hi All,

Haven't made a post here on AVS in a long time. I've been holding on like grim death to a Sony KP-53HS10 CRT-based RPTV for the last eleven years. But I finally bit the bullet and purchased a TC-P55VT50 a couple weeks ago. It arrived and I was able to get it set up last Thursday.

I have read the first fifty pages or so of this thread. . . and intend to finish it. But I figured I might as well post my impressions/observations as well as ask a few "peace of mind" questions.

  • My 55" model is mounted on its stand on a piece of furniture. The screen is about 18" from the wall behind it (and is secured by anti-tip straps mounted to the VESA holes).
  • My settings are: THX Cinema, Contrast=60, Brightness=42, Color=52, Tint=0, Sharpness=50, Color Temp = Normal (I prefer less red - though skin tones sometimes look a little dull)
  • All other "Noise Reduction" type settings are turned off. Nothing Fancy.
  • I am connecting all my devices directly via HDMI (except my AppleTV which is being piped through my Pioneer VSX-1022-K receiver).
  • I have been breaking the unit in since Thursday just by running standard cable fare through it while keeping it in THX Cinema and making sure that any channel logos are not on the screen too long. I often use "zoom" to hide them. I've watched a few minutes of a blu-ray here and there. And goofed around on the AppleTV. But I'm otherwise trying to be careful for the first 100 hours.
  • I have not had any image retention issues. I wonder if some of those folks who already have some might have turned off overscan ("HD Size" under "Aspect Adjustments"), which disables the pixel orbiter. They may not have been aware of this undesirable side-effect and been running their units without any anti-IR countermeasures in place.

Some obeservations/issues(?). . .

Buzz? Yes. Mild. - I do hear some buzzing from the unit that varies according to the brightness of certain scenes. It is not loud enough that I have ever noticed it while sitting approximately 13ft away on the couch. But if I'm standing very near the TV in a quiet room, it's clearly audible. So far, not an issue since it's pretty rare that I have the TV on in a perfectly quiet room.

Plasma Line Bleed? - I had my first experience with what I believe to be "plasma line bleeding." This is a lot more prevalent on this TV that I would have thought would be the case. When using the new ("black") AppleTV, it's readily apprent when working in certain menus. Especially if you go to the AppleTV General Settings menu and scroll down, as the bright blue selector box outline moves down the screen, you will clearly see the "shadow" of that selector box pass over the faint image of the AppleTV on the left. Is this to be expected? Or might this be a symptom of a "bum set?"

24fps/96Hz Issue? - While testing blu-ray playback, I was disappointed by a strange artifact that I noticed in Gladiator (blu-ray). While Maximus is speaking with Marcus Aurelius (MA), right before MA says "I brought the sword, nothing more," MA stand and walks screen right. As he does so, his face becomes blurred completely and there is a hint of a purple and/or yellow mess in all the fuzziness. This only happens if I am using 96Hz refresh. I've heard of flicker and other such things, but not anything like this. 24fps from my Sony blu-ray is a new-fangled thing for me and I was hoping to make use of it with 96Hz though I've read elsewhere that many prefer 60Hz. Is this sort of thing why? Is this a known issue with the set? Or is this an indicator of a problem unique to mine? I have not seen it happen anywhere else. But I will likely just use 60Hz and write off 96Hz if I'm told this is just the nature of the 96Hz beast.

Black Levels (does this sound right?) - I may have had unrealistic expectations coming from a very good CRT-based RPTV (old as it was getting). I think I might have been expecting too much. Having said that, I am amazed at how color "pop" against what appears to be a pure black screen when I'm looking at the AppleTV film trailers menu (for example) or in other circumstances where there is a lot of bright objects on a black background. Blacks look deep and rich. Blu-rays look incredible, indeed. However (and this may be just due to the way the human eye works), when I'm watching darker scenes of 2.35:1 content, the upper/lower black bars aren't nearly as inky black as I expected/hoped. Likewise, when the screen is showing an all-black field, I am a bit disappointed to clearly see "screen glow" where I had hoped I'd see "true black." Again, this is probably just my unrealistic, CRT-biased expectations. So really my main question is the same as ever: Does this sound like standard behavior for the set? Or might there be something wrong?

I will keep reading the thread. But I'd very much appreciate any feedback fellow VT50 users could give me on those items above while I make my way through all 100+ pages.. Especially the black levels (the last one). I'm just about ready to sit back and start enjoying this set. But a bit of reassurance that all is well would put my mind at ease!

Thanks All!

--Hurin
Edited by Hurin - 6/24/12 at 5:06pm
post #3379 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

I prefer my 65vt50 over my Pro151.

I have the opposite reaction- I returned 55VT50 and kept Pioneer 500M. I chose 500M due to
a. slightly blacker blacks and this added more depth to image (over VT50), and
b. For HD programming from cable, 500M did a MUCH better job of providing a cleaner pic, on VT50 there was a lot more dithering/noise

I thought D-Nice was just a fanboy still touting preference to Kuros but when you compare side by side- yup I have to hand it to him for being correct smile.gif

I suspect the margins will be much closer comparing 60" to 65" Panasonic since larger Pana have better blacks.
post #3380 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb2012 View Post

I have the opposite reaction- I returned 55VT50 and kept Pioneer 500M. I chose 500M due to
a. slightly blacker blacks and this added more depth to image (over VT50), and
b. For HD programming from cable, 500M did a MUCH better job of providing a cleaner pic, on VT50 there was a lot more dithering/noise
I thought D-Nice was just a fanboy still touting preference to Kuros but when you compare side by side- yup I have to hand it to him for being correct smile.gif
I suspect the margins will be much closer comparing 60" to 65" Panasonic since larger Pana have better blacks.
Yes the 65 inch has a bit better black level, but none of the Pannys are actually really close to your 500m. Still the 65vt50 does put up a fight at .002.
post #3381 of 13486
Jeez some people here need to chill!cool.gif I know the kuro still has better blacks, I just wanted to know if it is as noticeable in anything other than a blacked out room. Sorry if I upset anyone.rolleyes.gif
post #3382 of 13486
I think the key question to ask you is What TV SIZE are you considering? If it is 65" then general consensus has been size and color of image will trump marginal blacks superiority of 60" Kuro. If it is for smaller size then FOR ME, the better quality pic of my Kuro trumped over extra size of 55" Pana (which has lower blacks than 65").
post #3383 of 13486
Hi folks got my 65vt50 today. I'm running the slides. I have a question on the WiFi set up. Everything came up fine. But there was a security setting that gave OPEN and SHARED as the two options. I'm the only one using it so I just selected OPEN. What are these settings for and did I select the right one? Thanks
post #3384 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post


Black Levels (does this sound right?) - I may have had unrealistic expectations coming from a very good CRT-based RPTV (old as it was getting). I think I might have been expecting too much. Having said that, I am amazed at how color "pop" against what appears to be a pure black screen when I'm looking at the AppleTV film trailers menu (for example) or in other circumstances where there is a lot of bright objects on a black background. Blacks look deep and rich. Blu-rays look incredible, indeed. However (and this may be just due to the way the human eye works), when I'm watching darker scenes of 2.35:1 content, the upper/lower black bars aren't nearly as inky black as I expected/hoped. Likewise, when the screen is showing an all-black field, I am a bit disappointed to clearly see "screen glow" where I had hoped I'd see "true black." Again, this is probably just my unrealistic, CRT-biased expectations. So really my main question is the same as ever: Does this sound like standard behavior for the set? Or might there be something wrong?[/INDENT]
I will keep reading the thread. But I'd very much appreciate any feedback fellow VT50 users could give me on those items above while I make my way through all 100+ pages.. Especially the black levels (the last one). I'm just about ready to sit back and start enjoying this set. But a bit of reassurance that all is well would put my mind at ease!
Thanks All!
--Hurin

Isn't this called floating blacks? I have this on my VT25 and was under the assumption that this issue was nonexistent thanks to fixes from last year's model. Its obvious when watching Blu Rays like the Dark Knight in a completely dark room. The bars on the top and bottom will get much brighter when there is a dark scene, but will look very black with a bright scene in between them. Very annoying.

Would like to know if anyone else has seen this in on their VT50.
post #3385 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Jeez some people here need to chill!cool.gif I know the kuro still has better blacks, I just wanted to know if it is as noticeable in anything other than a blacked out room. Sorry if I upset anyone.rolleyes.gif

With just a single light on(probably around 75 watts) the blacks appear to match the black frame.

This light is on about a 5 ft floor lamp that's open on the top. The light mostly goes up and bounces off the 12 foot ceiling for a soft lighting effect.

Hope this helps.
post #3386 of 13486
Hurin,

Try borrowing custom settings and use that. Others have reported that the black levels are always black in custom mode compared to the THX modes. Also nothing is off limits or greyed out in custom mode.
post #3387 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon1 View Post

Isn't this called floating blacks? I have this on my VT25 and was under the assumption that this issue was nonexistent thanks to fixes from last year's model. Its obvious when watching Blu Rays like the Dark Knight in a completely dark room. The bars on the top and bottom will get much brighter when there is a dark scene, but will look very black with a bright scene in between them. Very annoying.
Would like to know if anyone else has seen this in on their VT50.
I'm no expert on "floating blacks." But I don't think what I'm seeing is the classic definition of them. I don't think, at any point, that the black bars above and below a 2.35:1 film are ever completely black. And any time they approach complete black, I believe it's because my eye is perceiving them that way due to them being dazzled by brighter objects on the screen. The human eye will see dark things as darker if a bright object is placed next to it. I don't think the VT50 is actually changing the black level and I've never actually seen the screen brightness/gamma change on the fly like those describing "floating blacks" have described.

Let me ask this in another way: Is anyone getting a completely black screen on their VT50 (especially 55"?). In other words, in a completely dark room, with the VT50 showing nothing but a black field, is it reasonable to expect to see no different between the bezel and the picture (no "screen glow")? Is anyone able to get the bars above and below a 2.35:1 film completely black? Leaving aside whether mine are floating or not for the moment (I don't believe they are), are those reasonable/possible standards? I think the TV looks great. But I worry that it could look better and that my black levels aren't what others are seeing.

Best,

H

P.S. I have left the black level setting in THX Cinema at "lighter" since the darker makes everything too dark.
post #3388 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post

I'm no expert on "floating blacks." But I don't think what I'm seeing is the classic definition of them. I don't think, at any point, that the black bars above and below a 2.35:1 film are ever completely black. And any time they approach complete black, I believe it's because my eye is perceiving them that way due to them being dazzled by brighter objects on the screen. The human eye will see dark things as darker if a bright object is placed next to it. I don't think the VT50 is actually changing the black level and I've never actually seen the screen brightness/gamma change on the fly like those describing "floating blacks" have described.
Let me ask this in another way: Is anyone getting a completely black screen on their VT50 (especially 55"?). In other words, in a completely dark room, with the VT50 showing nothing but a black field, is it reasonable to expect to see no different between the bezel and the picture (no "screen glow")? Is anyone able to get the bars above and below a 2.35:1 film completely black? Leaving aside whether mine are floating or not for the moment (I don't believe they are), are those reasonable/possible standards? I think the TV looks great. But I worry that it could look better and that my black levels aren't what others are seeing.
Best,
H
P.S. I have left the black level setting in THX Cinema at "lighter" since the darker makes everything too dark.
There is an auto brightness feature that is on by default on the vt50 that will affect your black levels so be sure to adjust them.

Also in a completely black room on a total black screen you will be able to make out the screen, as you would with the kuros or any other tv out right now that is not an OLED.
post #3389 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post

Let me ask this in another way: Is anyone getting a completely black screen on their VT50 (especially 55"?). In other words, in a completely dark room, with the VT50 showing nothing but a black field, is it reasonable to expect to see no different between the bezel and the picture (no "screen glow")? Is anyone able to get the bars above and below a 2.35:1 film completely black?

The answer to all of these questions is definitely no. Plasmas cannot do a pure or truely infinite black. In a darkened room the screen will still glow a little bit even when fed and all black signal. I doubt there is anything wrong with your set. Just make sure you have the brightness (black level) calibrated correctly.
post #3390 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouss View Post

There is an auto brightness feature that is on by default on the vt50 that will affect your black levels so be sure to adjust them.

Yeah right. Make sure that is turned off too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread