or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 114

post #3391 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

If you can't hear any noise emanating from the TV with your ears to the back then you have poor hearing or the TV is off. To say there is zero noise is equivalent to claiming that your microwave makes zero sound either. Plus, after three weeks, your ear would get soar being stuck against the TV. biggrin.gif
Hell, even sheshe can hear something with her head back there! Now that is saying something. wink.gif

Prime example #1.

Be careful what you sew.
post #3392 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouss View Post

There is an auto brightness feature that is on by default on the vt50 that will affect your black levels so be sure to adjust them.
If you mean CATS, I have it disabled. Thanks for confirming though! I know you can't assume!
Quote:
Also in a completely black room on a total black screen you will be able to make out the screen, as you would with the kuros or any other tv out right now that is not an OLED.
Between this and similar posts, I'm thinking I'm probably okay. I mean, I was hoping for slightly better given my recent CRT history. . . but it's by no means terrible. Just a bit more glow in the blacks than I was hoping.

So, as long as this statement is true: "Even the best plasma will still have some 'glow' to blacks visible to the eye". . . I guess I can relax.

Sorry to burden everyone with my paranoia. Shall I assume that the "line bleed" and 96Hz issue that I also described are par for the course?

Best,

H
post #3393 of 13477
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by usr2 View Post

Thanks for the nice recommendation. I also got a strong recommendation for the Sanus: http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-XF228-B1-42-Inch-Full-Motion/dp/B002JBCYSO
Has anyone tried this for their 55 or 65" VT50?

I use the older version of this one for my 65" I haven't flinched a bit the mount is heavy too though so wall reinforcement may be in order if you don't have something solid for it to be on.
post #3394 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post

I'm no expert on "floating blacks." But I don't think what I'm seeing is the classic definition of them. I don't think, at any point, that the black bars above and below a 2.35:1 film are ever completely black. And any time they approach complete black, I believe it's because my eye is perceiving them that way due to them being dazzled by brighter objects on the screen. The human eye will see dark things as darker if a bright object is placed next to it. I don't think the VT50 is actually changing the black level and I've never actually seen the screen brightness/gamma change on the fly like those describing "floating blacks" have described.
Let me ask this in another way: Is anyone getting a completely black screen on their VT50 (especially 55"?). In other words, in a completely dark room, with the VT50 showing nothing but a black field, is it reasonable to expect to see no different between the bezel and the picture (no "screen glow")? Is anyone able to get the bars above and below a 2.35:1 film completely black? Leaving aside whether mine are floating or not for the moment (I don't believe they are), are those reasonable/possible standards? I think the TV looks great. But I worry that it could look better and that my black levels aren't what others are seeing.
Best,
H
P.S. I have left the black level setting in THX Cinema at "lighter" since the darker makes everything too dark.

I am seeing exactly the same behavior as you are - I am not getting a completely black screen in any picture mode - and I have the 65VT50 which in theory should have lower blacks. I also fully agree with your assessment that this is not floating blacks, but rather the way that the human eye perceives black levels in relation to adjacent brighter fields. I found that the black levels of the black bars (or the black background behind movie credits) in the different picture modes is in the order of Cinema > THX Bright Room > THX Cinema > Custom (ie worst to best). But while Custom has the best black levels (lowest MLL), there is significant black crush in the default Custom settings such that a lot of shadow detail is lost. I have made some adjustments to the Custom mode to suit my moderately lit room (single 60 watt bulb in a table lamp at the back of my 18' room) by reducing Black extension to "0" and increasing Brightness to "58". I also tried Gamma 2.4 rather than 2.2 but found the picture too dark for my room. This produces a picture mode with black levels slightly brighter than THX Cinema (but still less than THX Bright Room) and I find this better suited to this environment than the THX Bright Room (while I like THX Cinema for a completely dark room). So, yes, kinda disappointed at not seeing a fully black screen in any stock picture mode, and am hoping that D-Nice's calibration at the end of July will impart my set with the necessary magic to get closer to that goal (though fully aware that it will never be truly "black")!
post #3395 of 13477
Oh thanks for clarifying Hurin and DrRX. That "problem" you may or may not be seeing is tiny compared to the floating blacks issue. Just be thankful you don't have to deal with that mess! smile.gif Cant wait to upgrade.
post #3396 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm trying to gauge whether it's possible for 2 regular individuals to mount this monster up high, above a fireplace.

It is possible, but it will be awkward depending on how the mount's plate attaches to the arm. Aside from weighing nearly ~100 lbs -- which is hard to hold in a static lift for nearly anyone while reaching upward -- it's big enough to be an awkward hold. I think you could do it with 2 people if you're both quite strong. I think if you have three people, it's a much more trivial job.
post #3397 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post

I would assum they will announce that at the las Vegas show this week.
Baimo
You assessment is correct. It isn't floating blacks. What you see on a black screen is the actual black level. Your eyes will perceive blacker blacks when there is bright objects on the screen.... like you said.
post #3398 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

If you can't hear any noise emanating from the TV with your ears to the back then you have poor hearing or the TV is off. To say there is zero noise is equivalent to claiming that your microwave makes zero sound either. Plus, after three weeks, your ear would get soar being stuck against the TV. biggrin.gif
Hell, even sheshe can hear something with her head back there! Now that is saying something. wink.gif

I posted the following regarding the VT50 buzz, and just feel the post deserves a second round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffX View Post

I see lots of posts (here and in other forums) about two topics: Buzzing and Vertical Strips. I'd like to share my 2 cents:

Buzzing
Even though my hearing isn't very good (I have hearing loss on one of the higher frequencies), my wife's hearing is abolutely superb (borderline supernatural I'd say - she can hear me when I walk into our carpeted bedroom without shoes while she is asleep - and that's just one example). 2 nights ago we stayed up until late night for absolute silence in the house. She went close to our 65VT50 (running slides at the time) and placed her ear next to the back of the TV. She claims she heard a buzzing sound of about 2 in a scale from 1 to 10 (I can't hear it myself). Stepping back 2 feet, she claims the buzzing level falls to a 1 (in the same scale). She stood there through all the slides (white, grey, black, green, etc). 5 feet away she can't hear the buzzing anymore. In addition, with our Bose V25 at a level of 20 (which is very low - I listen at a level of 60), and standing 2 feet away from the TV, she can no longer hear the buzzing. I know my wife is no replacement for audio testing equipment... just my contribution to the issue here.

Vertical Strips
I am also happy to report that I can not see any vertical lines on my set (anywhere on the panel) from any distance (from 2 inches to 6 feet away). What I can see is the horizontal "blinds" when looking at the panel from above (perhaps ~30 degree angle or more). This is due to the anti-reflective coating, and I believe it is meant to be there.

If your VT50 shows either of these isues, have it replaced, it is probably defective and you don't want to/have to put up with it.

Hope this helps.

Having read through dozens of posts on the buzzing issue, and believing deep in my heart that my wife's hearing is beyond anything I've ever seen, I'm absolutely certain that the buzzing varies in different units. If I had a buzzing set that could be heard more than a few feet away, I would go out of my way to either get it fixed (by Panasonic) or have it replaced (wherever you bought it).
post #3399 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffX View Post

I posted the following regarding the VT50 buzz, and just feel the post deserves a second round.
Having read through dozens of posts on the buzzing issue, and believing deep in my heart that my wife's hearing is beyond anything I've ever seen, I'm absolutely certain that the buzzing varies in different units. If I had a buzzing set that could be heard more than a few feet away, I would go out of my way to either get it fixed (by Panasonic) or have it replaced (wherever you bought it).

Spiff, does your room have any carpeting? What's behind the TV? What's the TV sitting on? Just gathering some data.
post #3400 of 13477
Hi Guys,

I'm really frustrated and seriously considering returning my 65VT50. I have 1 more week within my return period. Listed are the complaints I have with this TV.

1) Dithering - I can see this frequently when watching FIOS HD tv. It looks like video noise.
2) Flickering - I can see the picture flicker in certain scenes.
3) Buzzing - I can hear the buzzing from 12 feet away.
*Less important
4) Heat produced - Gets pretty warm.
5) Power consumption - This thing drinks electricity.

Watching 3d content is horrible at times with the excessive dithering.

Any of these issues sound like a defect or just typical of Plasma TV's?

Would an LCD/LED tv be a better option in my case?

Thanks!
post #3401 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

If you can't hear any noise emanating from the TV with your ears to the back then you have poor hearing or the TV is off. To say there is zero noise is equivalent to claiming that your microwave makes zero sound either. Plus, after three weeks, your ear would get soar being stuck against the TV. biggrin.gif
Hell, even sheshe can hear something with her head back there! Now that is saying something. wink.gif

I posted the following regarding the VT50 buzz, and just feel the post deserves a second round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffX View Post

I see lots of posts (here and in other forums) about two topics: Buzzing and Vertical Strips. I'd like to share my 2 cents:

Buzzing
Even though my hearing isn't very good (I have hearing loss on one of the higher frequencies), my wife's hearing is abolutely superb (borderline supernatural I'd say - she can hear me when I walk into our carpeted bedroom without shoes while she is asleep - and that's just one example). 2 nights ago we stayed up until late night for absolute silence in the house. She went close to our 65VT50 (running slides at the time) and placed her ear next to the back of the TV. She claims she heard a buzzing sound of about 2 in a scale from 1 to 10 (I can't hear it myself). Stepping back 2 feet, she claims the buzzing level falls to a 1 (in the same scale). She stood there through all the slides (white, grey, black, green, etc). 5 feet away she can't hear the buzzing anymore. In addition, with our Bose V25 at a level of 20 (which is very low - I listen at a level of 60), and standing 2 feet away from the TV, she can no longer hear the buzzing. I know my wife is no replacement for audio testing equipment... just my contribution to the issue here.

Vertical Strips
I am also happy to report that I can not see any vertical lines on my set (anywhere on the panel) from any distance (from 2 inches to 6 feet away). What I can see is the horizontal "blinds" when looking at the panel from above (perhaps ~30 degree angle or more). This is due to the anti-reflective coating, and I believe it is meant to be there.

If your VT50 shows either of these isues, have it replaced, it is probably defective and you don't want to/have to put up with it.

Hope this helps.

Having read through dozens of posts on the buzzing issue, and believing deep in my heart that my wife's hearing is beyond anything I've ever seen, I'm absolutely certain that the buzzing varies in different units. If I had a buzzing set that could be heard more than a few feet away, I would go out of my way to either get it fixed (by Panasonic) or have it replaced (wherever you bought it).

I hear you. If she says she can only hear it with her head back there, I believe her. My comments were not to insinuate that she was false but to confirm that even she can hear it on some level.. I am just starting to think you have a carpeted room and that I could prolly pick up the buzzing if it were in a room like mine with hardwood. But my apologies if that was taken wrong.
post #3402 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon1 View Post

Isn't this called floating blacks? I have this on my VT25 and was under the assumption that this issue was nonexistent thanks to fixes from last year's model. Its obvious when watching Blu Rays like the Dark Knight in a completely dark room. The bars on the top and bottom will get much brighter when there is a dark scene, but will look very black with a bright scene in between them. Very annoying.
Would like to know if anyone else has seen this in on their VT50.
I'm no expert on "floating blacks." But I don't think what I'm seeing is the classic definition of them. I don't think, at any point, that the black bars above and below a 2.35:1 film are ever completely black. And any time they approach complete black, I believe it's because my eye is perceiving them that way due to them being dazzled by brighter objects on the screen. The human eye will see dark things as darker if a bright object is placed next to it. I don't think the VT50 is actually changing the black level and I've never actually seen the screen brightness/gamma change on the fly like those describing "floating blacks" have described.

Let me ask this in another way: Is anyone getting a completely black screen on their VT50 (especially 55"?). In other words, in a completely dark room, with the VT50 showing nothing but a black field, is it reasonable to expect to see no different between the bezel and the picture (no "screen glow")? Is anyone able to get the bars above and below a 2.35:1 film completely black? Leaving aside whether mine are floating or not for the moment (I don't believe they are), are those reasonable/possible standards? I think the TV looks great. But I worry that it could look better and that my black levels aren't what others are seeing.

Best,

H

P.S. I have left the black level setting in THX Cinema at "lighter" since the darker makes everything too dark.

My settings in Custom look way blacker than in Cinema modes. And not much out there for full screen blacks. Even credits put out enough light to make the blacks look blacker. smile.gif
post #3403 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

Hi Guys,
I'm really frustrated and seriously considering returning my 65VT50. I have 1 more week within my return period. Listed are the complaints I have with this TV.
1) Dithering - I can see this frequently when watching FIOS HD tv. It looks like video noise.
2) Flickering - I can see the picture flicker in certain scenes.
3) Buzzing - I can hear the buzzing from 12 feet away.
*Less important
4) Heat produced - Gets pretty warm.
5) Power consumption - This thing drinks electricity.
Watching 3d content is horrible at times with the excessive dithering.
Any of these issues sound like a defect or just typical of Plasma TV's?
Would an LCD/LED tv be a better option in my case?
Thanks!

Fios reception sucks.....lots of lag...video break up etc..never had this with cablevision..but since i get an employee discount I get a lot for low cost....but the quality is not the same, more like streaming video than a clean transmission...I have both an older Panny plasma and a Pioneer Kuro Elite that never had any issues prior to my switch..blu rays and dvs are still flawless so it's not the tv but the provider and i have tried every imaginable setting and brands of cables to no avail...

yes the tv's get warm..and yes they use more power.....cost per year over an LCD isn't all that much more..but then quality always costs a few bucks more and the lower cost of the tv over a comparable LCD/LED evens things out
Edited by gene9p - 6/25/12 at 5:44am
post #3404 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post


yes the tv's get warm..and yes they use more power.....cost per year over an LCD isn't all that much more..but then quality always costs a few bucks more and the lower cost of the tv over a comparable LCD/LED evens things out

Might be the quote of the year. With this blanket statement wouldn't it be wise to buy the more expensive LCD/LED since quality always costs a few bucks more? And if the cost of running the VT50 will even out over a more expensive LCD/LED over it's life span, why not buy the more expensive LCD/LED now?
post #3405 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon1 View Post

Oh thanks for clarifying Hurin and DrRX. That "problem" you may or may not be seeing is tiny compared to the floating blacks issue. Just be thankful you don't have to deal with that mess! smile.gif Cant wait to upgrade.

Talon1, to further reassure you, I will let you know that I upgraded from a VT25 to the VT50, and the floating blacks (rampant on my VT25) are no longer an issue.
post #3406 of 13477
I've been following this thread almost every day. I have the 55" VT50, and when it went on sale at Best Buy, I ordered the 65". They'll be exchanged this weekend.
I ran D-Nice's slides. I could hear it buzzing, and the sound changed based on the slide being shown. The brightest light-gray/white slides were the most obvious. Once I switched to wmwilker's settings and watched normal content, I can't say I've noticed it unless the sound is very low. I must have good hearing because I can also hear the fans running. I'm in a newer apartment which is carpeted but I don't have all my wall decorations and furniture in yet to help absorb sound. The TV is on a wood stand from Standout Designs. I think I should also note that I pick up on other sounds like the high-pitched sound the AC/DC transformer for my shaver cleaning stand puts out.

I found the color uniformity to be quite good on this panel, especially since I'm coming from an old, small LCD. No weird lines or anything. Impressive black levels too. Sure, they're not always ink-black and yes, I can see the black bars stand out from the frame sometimes (still so much better than anything I've ever owned). The horizontal viewing angle is ridiculously good. Reflections can be a problem in bright daylight (I have sliding glass doors on the wall to the left of the tv). Any odd video glitches seem to be more source-related than VT50-related. Remember that not all Blu-ray transfers are created equal.

I hope the 65" version is just as good!

One question... do I need the registered version of ControlCAL if I just want to be able to plug in other people's ISF Day & Night settings? I'll probably wait a while before I get a real calibration.
post #3407 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwag View Post

One question... do I need the registered version of ControlCAL if I just want to be able to plug in other people's ISF Day & Night settings? I'll probably wait a while before I get a real calibration.

Yes, you must have a registered version. IMO it's worth the price of admission especially if more owners who calibrate post their settings.
post #3408 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffX View Post

I posted the following regarding the VT50 buzz, and just feel the post deserves a second round.
Having read through dozens of posts on the buzzing issue, and believing deep in my heart that my wife's hearing is beyond anything I've ever seen, I'm absolutely certain that the buzzing varies in different units. If I had a buzzing set that could be heard more than a few feet away, I would go out of my way to either get it fixed (by Panasonic) or have it replaced (wherever you bought it).

I have a good friend who has very good hearing. Every plasma he has seen has horrible buzzing that he can hear even Pioneer Elites. I can not hear them myself. So there are people with that sensitive hearing. My friend ended up buying a Sony LCD tv.

I did take advantage of his talent to tweak the settings on my Marantz Pre AV8003 for my speakers and his setting were not far from the setting the Audyssey setting gave me.
post #3409 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffX View Post

I posted the following regarding the VT50 buzz, and just feel the post deserves a second round.
Having read through dozens of posts on the buzzing issue, and believing deep in my heart that my wife's hearing is beyond anything I've ever seen, I'm absolutely certain that the buzzing varies in different units. If I had a buzzing set that could be heard more than a few feet away, I would go out of my way to either get it fixed (by Panasonic) or have it replaced (wherever you bought it).

I have a good friend who has very good hearing. Every plasma he has seen has horrible buzzing that he can hear even Pioneer Elites. I can not hear them myself. So there are people with that sensitive hearing. My friend ended up buying a Sony LCD tv.

I did take advantage of his talent to tweak the settings on my Marantz Pre AV8003 for my speakers and his setting were not far from the setting the Audyssey setting gave me.

Spot on mate. I agree fully with most people that these sets may vary slightly on the level in which they buzz, but they all do. My vision and hearing was tested in the Army. My hearing tester thought I was fibbing on what I could here until he tried to trick me and I cought em. I can hear pretty damn good. My eyesight however may not be all that and a cracker jack, as I am having a hard time seeing much of the reported visual issues with this set. Maybe thats a good thing as it allows me to fully enjoy my set. It may be worth pointing out that far less content issues are being reported by people with Directv. I only remember one if memory serves me correctly. But it certainly seems as though the VT50 will not be remembered for its ability to clean up a crappy broadcast. But I am not losing sleep over that.

My guess is that after getting used to the slightly lesser blacks, I may have been just as content with a Sammy E8000 but def not more so.

Point me to a perfect TV and I will buy it. Until then, I am pretty happy.
post #3410 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktri View Post

Might be the quote of the year. With this blanket statement wouldn't it be wise to buy the more expensive LCD/LED since quality always costs a few bucks more? And if the cost of running the VT50 will even out over a more expensive LCD/LED over it's life span, why not buy the more expensive LCD/LED now?

Because there is no LCD/LED that even approximates to the PQ of the VT50. The next best PQ comes from the ST50 or the GT50. The Sharp Elite, as good as it "sounds/looks" on paper, can't reproduce colors accurately. The Sony has uniformity issues, and bloating. Have not even heard the Sammy and/or LG LCD/LEDs even being in the competition.
post #3411 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktri View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post


yes the tv's get warm..and yes they use more power.....cost per year over an LCD isn't all that much more..but then quality always costs a few bucks more and the lower cost of the tv over a comparable LCD/LED evens things out

Might be the quote of the year. With this blanket statement wouldn't it be wise to buy the more expensive LCD/LED since quality always costs a few bucks more? And if the cost of running the VT50 will even out over a more expensive LCD/LED over it's life span, why not buy the more expensive LCD/LED now?

Because many people like myself find the picture on those kind of sets unacceptable. Motion is synthetic and unenjoyable for many. For me, I wish most of the items in my house cost as little to run as a plasma television. Operating costs for anything I buy are at the bottom of my priority list. Functionality is at the top. But thats just me.

And contrary to what I have been instructed, my VT50 most definately puts out far less heat than my considerably smaller 5020 I had. Side by side dont lie. Maybe it was another defect with my 5020.

But yeah they put out some heat.
Edited by TopperMcFly - 6/25/12 at 9:11am
post #3412 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktri View Post

Might be the quote of the year. With this blanket statement wouldn't it be wise to buy the more expensive LCD/LED since quality always costs a few bucks more? And if the cost of running the VT50 will even out over a more expensive LCD/LED over it's life span, why not buy the more expensive LCD/LED now?

Because there is no LCD/LED that even approximates to the PQ of the VT50. The next best PQ comes from the ST50 or the GT50. The Sharp Elite, as good as it "sounds/looks" on paper, can't reproduce colors accurately. The Sony has uniformity issues, and bloating. Have not even heard the Sammy and/or LG LCD/LEDs even being in the competition.

Off axis alone on the Elite took it off my list. smile.gif

Even though it has generally pretty sweet contrast.
post #3413 of 13477
Got my 55” VT 50 recently and could not be happier - been watching lots of dark content like BBC Earth (Caves, Deep Oceans) and Sin City.

I’ve been reading this particular thread from the beginning (still not done) and trying to follow all of your good advice. Thanks to all the posters.

So I’ve run the slides for 100 hours and think I’m ready to start calibrating. There’s a lot of talk here about how awful the BB guys are. Turns out I can get their calibration service at no cost. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t take advantage of the offer?

Thanks!
post #3414 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Spiff, does your room have any carpeting? What's behind the TV? What's the TV sitting on? Just gathering some data.

When we tested for buzz, the TV was in an open family room (16' x 16' and open to the kitchen, foyer and dining rooms), sitting on a carpeted floor, about one feet from a wall that has windows starting at around 18" from the floor.

I can test it again when we place it in a sound isolated Media Room with carpet and furniture.
post #3415 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by uublr View Post

Got my 55” VT 50 recently and could not be happier - been watching lots of dark content like BBC Earth (Caves, Deep Oceans) and Sin City.

I’ve been reading this particular thread from the beginning (still not done) and trying to follow all of your good advice. Thanks to all the posters.

So I’ve run the slides for 100 hours and think I’m ready to start calibrating. There’s a lot of talk here about how awful the BB guys are. Turns out I can get their calibration service at no cost. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t take advantage of the offer?

Thanks!

First, welcome. Second, I would jump all over that if it is free. Just keep an eye on them. lol smile.gif
post #3416 of 13477
my reply was not directed at the Elite is better than the VT, the point I'm trying to make is the statement, "quality always costs a few bucks more" is absolutely ridiculous.
post #3417 of 13477
I noticed my screen is exactly centered within the bezel. The gap (where the pixels meet the black part bezel) on the left and right side are not the same. The right side is a tad wider. The gap on the bottom of the screen is much larger than the top and much larger than the right and left. Is that normal?
post #3418 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktri View Post

Might be the quote of the year. With this blanket statement wouldn't it be wise to buy the more expensive LCD/LED since quality always costs a few bucks more? And if the cost of running the VT50 will even out over a more expensive LCD/LED over it's life span, why not buy the more expensive LCD/LED now?

Let's do the math. Your Sharp Elite costs approximately $2000.00 more than a comparable VT50. Let's say the VT50 costs about $3 to$4 a month more to run. That's $36 to $48 a year more. It would take over 40 years to recover that $2000.00 premium you paid for the Sharp Elite. That's not even taking into account that you can spread the cost of energy over the lifetime of the set as compared to having to lay out the $2k up front.
post #3419 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by uublr View Post

There’s a lot of talk here about how awful the BB guys are. Turns out I can get their calibration service at no cost. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t take advantage of the offer?
Thanks!

I have been wondering this, too. Looks like they offer this to silver reward members, now. Not sure what the calibration includes as it just states TV calibration once a year. So, not sure it amounts to much. Plus from what I have heard, not sure if I want them touching my set.
post #3420 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

Let's do the math. Your Sharp Elite costs approximately $2000.00 more than a comparable VT50. Let's say the VT50 costs about $3 to$4 a month more to run. That's $36 to $48 a year more. It would take over 40 years to recover that $2000.00 premium you paid for the Sharp Elite. That's not even taking into account that you can spread the cost of energy over the lifetime of the set as compared to having to lay out the $2k up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

yes the tv's get warm..and yes they use more power.....cost per year over an LCD isn't all that much more..but then quality always costs a few bucks more and the lower cost of the tv over a comparable LCD/LED evens things out

Again the point was missed and I will clarify one last time.
Gene stated quality = more expensive: do I agree? sometime yes sometimes no but "always" NOWAY!
Gene stated that the lower cost of a plasma over a comparable LCD/LED will even things out: he stated that not me, do I agree? NOWAY! it would take a 40 years to make back the difference in price. HTguru I couldn't agree with you more!

So lets recap what gene said and why i found it ridiculous.
1. If we use Gene's mentality of quality = more expensive, then any tv that is higher priced than VT is of higher quality because "quality always costs a few bucks more "
2. Gene stated the cost per year to run a plasma will even things out. So in the end after so and so many years of use, both televisions price will be comparable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread