or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 25

post #721 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC2 View Post

The extra year warranty from the credit card companies has a bit of a catch if you get an extended warranty from Panasonic or BB, etc. Read it carefully, but seems to say if you get an extended warranty for a certain length of time, the credit card extended warranty doesn't apply. But, it probably doesn't matter as all coverages are from date of purchase, so it would be duplicative.

The only exception is the Square Trade warranty from Costco. $99 for an extra three year warranty, so it is comparable to anybody else's four-year warranty. Doesn't have all the bells & whistles as BB warranty, but it's similar to the factory warranty for a price that's hard to refuse. See link:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=

"Costco members may also purchase a SquareTrade Service plan to cover a new TV purchased outside of Costco from an authorized retailer in the US. Service Plan must be bought within 60 days of purchasing the TV."

Sounds good but does it include stuck/burnt pixels and surges?
post #722 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but the Denon 3806 doesn't support ARC. I think that for ARC to work every component in the HDMI chain has to be ARC capable. Even then, it can do strange things, especially if you mix manufacturers.

I've never used ARC, but what I've written I hope reflects what I think I've read about ARC. I'm sure about the 3806 because I own one.

Good luck.

Thank you sir. Waiting until Sept. for 4520 so I'll just use HDMI 1 until then.
post #723 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

Good talk.

I do, so I'm sure there are a few others out there that do as well.

Yep, how dare that guy speak for everyone. I got my 65VT50 for the promised brighter 3D image.
post #724 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

None of that has anything to do with ARC, Audio Return Channel.

Maybe you mean HDMI-CEC?

Can't explain it then but just couldn't watch a blu-ray once I hit pause on the Samsung. Very weird but would hit play on Samsung and 65VT50 would switch to HDMI 1. Would switch to HDMI 2 with 65VT50 remote and Samsung blu-ray would pause. Turn off Samsung and never hit pause and I was OK if restarted. I was just trying to take pictures to post but I couldn't figure out how to post them.
Thanks,
post #725 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Yep, how dare that guy speak for everyone. I got my 65VT50 for the promised brighter 3D image.

Me too that's why I sold my vt30.
post #726 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

No one cares about 3D..

While I understand the point you're trying to make I'm willing to bet that there are a lot more people outside this forum buying 3D movies and using the 3D on their TV's on the norm than you think. Your argument does have stance however because sadly there's not enough GOOD 3D movies out there just as Blu-Ray is still limited against DVD's. If there were at least as many good 3D movies as there are Blu-Rays people would likely be more vocal in their use of it. Sometimes the problem with forums is many people think they (the forum members) are the only consumers that exist so based on your argument if we're not using it nobody is.
post #727 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

Good talk.

I do, so I'm sure there are a few others out there that do as well.

Yes there are a few, maybe more than a few, but the industry was hoping for a boost in sales from 3D. It didn't happen. In fact industry sales are down. There will have to be some other new feature to get sale up again. 3D isn't going to do it.
post #728 of 13457
Surprised I don't see more professional U.S. reviews of the VT50. Actually the only one I've seen is Chad's. Are there any others out there?
post #729 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post


While I understand the point you're trying to make I'm willing to bet that there are a lot more people outside this forum buying 3D movies and using the 3D on their TV's on the norm than you think. Your argument does have stance however because sadly there's not enough GOOD 3D movies out there just as Blu-Ray is still limited against DVD's. If there were at least as many good 3D movies as there are Blu-Rays people would likely be more vocal in their use of it. Sometimes the problem with forums is many people think they (the forum members) are the only consumers that exist so based on your argument if we're not using it nobody is.

My main point is that there isn't enough good 3D content out there..
Consumers purchasing the VT50 aren't buying the panel because of how good the 3D is.
There are only a handful of GOOD 3D movies out there!
post #730 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post

Surprised I don't see more professional U.S. reviews of the VT50. Actually the only one I've seen is Chad's. Are there any others out there?

Next weekend is the shoot out and all your answers will be there.
post #731 of 13457
Since I will not have a professional calibration done, I plan on running my new tc-p65vt50 in THX Cinema mode for the first 100 hours (for night viewing after that), then add the THX Bright mode for day use after that. Hope to have my "baby" by May 28th. My reason for doing this is that I would like to keep the contrast level lower than bright in the beginning, assumption being that the THX Bright setting will be brighter than the THX Cinema mode. This will serve as a warm-up period. Am I doing the right thing?
post #732 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

My main point is that there isn't enough good 3D content out there..
Consumers purchasing the VT50 aren't buying the panel because of how good the 3D is.
There are only a handful of GOOD 3D movies out there!

This is probably true, not to mention that glasses are expensive as well as buying the 3D versions of the few good ones that are out there. If the industry wants everyone to have 3D, they should make it more affordable.
post #733 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

My main point is that there isn't enough good 3D content out there..
Consumers purchasing the VT50 aren't buying the panel because of how good the 3D is.
There are only a handful of GOOD 3D movies out there!

there's more then you think...I didn't like 3D at all in the theatres prior to purchasing my VT30...now I enjoy it quite a bit...yes I much prefer 2D but there are many enjoyable 3D movies (besides Avatar which a lot of people seem to think is the only good 3D movie)...Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole was one of my favorite 3D movies...I also find myself watching a lot of free 3D on Demand movies from my cable provider (FiOS)
post #734 of 13457
just have to say watching the laker game right now on my 65vt50 in my own custom setting and it looks simply amazing!
post #735 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by khustla View Post

just have to say watching the laker game right now on my 65vt50 in my own custom setting and it looks simply amazing!

Khustla post your settings here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1410156
post #736 of 13457
Posted a shorter version of this in another thread, but here goes re VT50 reax:

On my 65" VT 50, I heard buzzing at first, but now the computer in the room is much more noisy. Reflections are minimal, but there. I see no dead pixels or anything weird, tho I am not an expert. It's an excellent piece of equipment. If you get close, you can see the pixels. But I say, re viewing distance, move the couch back until the image is smooth - and no further!

I have little basis of comparison, and thought my RPTV was great, better than any LCD I've seen. But the motion is smooth on this unit so far. No hockey test here, though!

I'm very happy with this unit. If anything is off, I haven't noticed it yet. Seems literally perfect, with today's expectations. I've looked at all white screens and no pixel is off. Nor are there any off areas, etc.

No idea what the GT or ST are like, but this unit is good. Have fun!
post #737 of 13457
Thanks Mandrake...Mandrake...Mandrake! Hey, I know youuuuu! Yea, YOU'RE that magician guy ! Yea, that's it!
post #738 of 13457
I went to BB this evening and the 65VT50 was on display. They just put it out yesterday.
I had the saleman put on a local ballgame and it looked terrific. The colors were vibrant and the black level looked outstanding. This display itself looked very good. The smaller bezel doesn't dominate the TV like I believe last years did. So far very impressive.
post #739 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by swminn7 View Post

Am I doing the right thing?

There is nothing wrong with your plan. Stay away from fixed images and black bars during that first 100 hours and then try to maintain a mix of sources so that a good portion of the time you're watching full screen without fixed images. Most people can do that without having to keep track.

My wife watches all her hockey team's games unless she is at the game, and I watch a lot of NFL football. We also watch a lot of HDTV that doesn't have high contrast fixed images. We also watch a lot of DVD and Blu-ray movies where we are full screen some of the time, and have black bars some of the time.

Our set is 4.5 years old with about 9,000 hours on it. I was somewhat careful the first 500 hours, but I haven't paid attention since then. I've never noticed any image retention and we certainly don't have any burn-in. Two weeks ago I ran some full screen slides to see if I could detect any image retention. I didn't find any.

Enjoy, be reasonable and let others do the worrying.
post #740 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob539 View Post

Next weekend is the shoot out and all your answers will be there.

Let's all leave the shoot out hyperbole where it belongs. I thank Robert & crew for putting it on and giving us all of the comparisons and info that derive from the shoot out. & Sure, the shoot out provides a great stage to compare each manufacturers top panels under similar optimal viewing conditions. But our own viewing rooms (& budgets) certainly have anamolies and issues that need to be taken into consideration before simply going out and purchasing the shoot out winner. And, Anyhow, don't we already know that the shoot out will be an Elite v. VT50 battle, even though the former is quite more costly than the latter.
post #741 of 13457
Concerning 3D and myself, I'd rather watch a movie in 3D than 2D if it is comfortable on the eyes, and the price of the media is similar to 2D. I'd REALLY have to want the movie before I'd shell out $35 for it. I usually wait until the price drops to at least $25 before buying a 3D movie.
post #742 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by swminn7 View Post

Since I will not have a professional calibration done, I plan on running my new tc-p65vt50 in THX Cinema mode for the first 100 hours (for night viewing after that), then add the THX Bright mode for day use after that. Hope to have my "baby" by May 28th. My reason for doing this is that I would like to keep the contrast level lower than bright in the beginning, assumption being that the THX Bright setting will be brighter than the THX Cinema mode. This will serve as a warm-up period. Am I doing the right thing?

this should ease your mind a little, please note this was from 2 years ago so of course it's even alot better now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiuL8Co3lX4
post #743 of 13457
I'm a uk owner of a 55vt50, there's a few reports on avforums from owners of the GT50 that there is a border all around the picture on all sources and I'm seeing the same thing on my VT50. It would be interesting to know whether US owners are seeing the same thing. Basically on my VT50 there is a thin border all round the picture, switching overscan on or off makes no difference and neither does changing the aspect ratio. If you want to see pics of this check the GT50 owners thread on avforums :-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasm...-part3-10.html

Edit: seems to just affect the thx picture presets
post #744 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

11 ft. away, huh? ... A 65" will not come close to filling your periphery. I don't even think one would want to as your eyes would have to travel and move too much to be comfortable. But trust me, 65" is a-ok from 11 feet. I think you would be riotisly happy with a 65GT. You wrote 60GT or 65VT...if you want "immersive" I do not think you would get it with a 60" from 11'.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate the insight. It may come down to cost as well as feeling a bit better about mounting a 60 on drywall (v strong) without studs.
post #745 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Sounds good but does it include stuck/burnt pixels and surges?

Well, it says, "*Excludes limited life consumables such as batteries and lamps." If dead pixels are covered by initial Panasonic warranty, then would be covered by Costco warranty. Costco warranty is just a three-year extension of original, no additional features.

I thought dead pixels are just an issue when new; can they develop over time?
post #746 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post

I'm a uk owner of a 55vt50, there's a few reports on avforums from owners of the GT50 that there is a border all around the picture on all sources and I'm seeing the same thing on my VT50. It would be interesting to know whether US owners are seeing the same thing. Basically on my VT50 there is a thin border all round the picture, switching overscan on or off makes no difference and neither does changing the aspect ratio. If you want to see pics of this check the GT50 owners thread on avforums :-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasm...-part3-10.html

Edit: seems to just affect the thx picture presets

it seems like picking the 'just' aspect ratio would fix this.
post #747 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post

I'm a uk owner of a 55vt50, there's a few reports on avforums from owners of the GT50 that there is a border all around the picture on all sources and I'm seeing the same thing on my VT50. It would be interesting to know whether US owners are seeing the same thing. Basically on my VT50 there is a thin border all round the picture, switching overscan on or off makes no difference and neither does changing the aspect ratio. If you want to see pics of this check the GT50 owners thread on avforums :-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasm...-part3-10.html

Edit: seems to just affect the thx picture presets

Only affects THX because the preset has no overscan. Go in the settings and change the aspect setting to 1 with 5% overscan. Default is full HD with no overscan.
post #748 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by swillis55 View Post


Only affects THX because the preset has no overscan. Go in the settings and change the aspect setting to 1 with 5% overscan. Default is full HD with no overscan.

Forgot to add that this is not an issue with my GT on any preset or source. I would only guess that the next thing to check is that the picture format is set to full.
post #749 of 13457
The VT manual says to use 60Hz or 96Hz if there is flicker at 48Hz. I set it to 96 with a Blu-ray in. Will it stay at 96 for all Blu-ray in the future or does it default to 48 or 60 each time. If it stays at 96, is that the best setting to leave it at?

I prefer to leave my settings in one position and not be fiddling every time I watch something unless need be. I understand 96 is an extra feature on the VT; to me, the implication then is to have it on all the time if you're paying extra for the feature. But the manual seems to imply otherwise.
post #750 of 13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Sounds good but does it include stuck/burnt pixels and surges?

Most warranties are case by case. You can call and check all you like but one would never know 100% until its claim time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread