or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 260

post #7771 of 13477
Let us know what you think of your vt50 vs your Kuros. I have a 500m that needs to get bigger. I'm looking at the 65vt50 but I don't want to take a step back in PQ.
post #7772 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

How long did that logo sit on the screen before it stuck?
How long after playing other content did you take the photo?
As a hobbiest calibrator, I have to be mindful to not leave the multicolor pattern on the screen while I'm getting setup. It'll do the same thing but does go away in a few minutes.
If my memory serves me (low chance) it seems that my Pioneer plasma did the same with the patterns.

Your memory serves you well, my Kuro 8 and 9G did the same thing. Plus I have to make sure I turn off OSD from my calibration software.

Using the new 3D LUT 125 point cube and 21 point gray scale in auto mode (of-course) really speeds up the calibration process. I would never use the auto mode for a normal 6 point CMS and 10 point gray scale ISF calibration, because I can do much better job manually for the normal type of calibration that most ISF/THX calibrators will do on are VT50's.

To do a manual ISF calibration like the one I have a link to in my sig takes me about 3 or 4 hours to get it as close as the one in my link. This new type of calibration takes me no more than one hour, and if done right imo will surpass any ISF/THX calibrators normal calibration including mine.

ss
post #7773 of 13477
SS

How close do you have to get the manual calibration and how much time would you estimate that takes before turning it over to the autocalibration routine utilizing the 3D LUTs?
post #7774 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

I noticed that when watching certain SD broadcasts, and only when they're in the 4:3 box format, that the top part of my screen has what looks like a white "bleed through" border (for lack of better terminology). In other words, it's like there's light emanating from the top of the picture, and this only occurs on 4:3 SD broadcasts. I can get rid of that by adjusting the picture format (full/just/etc.), but then the guide info and everything else gets cut off (this is on a DirecTV system).

There's nothing wrong with your TV, this happens because today's TV's can be set to not overscan like older SD CRT TV's did. Broadcasters would use the overscan area to carry extra data like CC and Guide info. The white dashes you see are that information.
post #7775 of 13477
Thanks for the info. I didn't think it was the TV itself; hence my bringing it up to see if someone knew what was going on.
post #7776 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440forpower View Post

Let us know what you think of your vt50 vs your Kuros. I have a 500m that needs to get bigger. I'm looking at the 65vt50 but I don't want to take a step back in PQ.
It would be a step back, but more like a stutter step. Black levels are still better on the Pioneer, but that is about the only difference you would notice.

Nothing like adding 40% screen wink.gif
post #7777 of 13477
Hi guys, I wonder can some of you VT50 owners advise me before I make any purchases of the VT50.

I currently use a Samsung Series 9 (LE46A956), and primarily use it connected to my HTPC, using software like mpc-hc and madVR to playback Blu-Rays, desktop, games etc. I only use 60hz, and interpolate all other content, eg 24p blu-rays to 60fps using SmoothVideoProject dlls.

I have been able to achieve RGB 4:4:4 Full-Range output at 60hz on this TV, using HDMI2 + PC Mode. I hate the image quality especially on desktop applications using any limited range modes, or non 4:4:4 full chroma quality. I basically want to ask is there any way on the VT50 to get this same combination of output quality, ie exactly this

RGB 0-255 full range
60hz
4:4:4

I seem to see conflicting answers on this, some saying it can only be done in ycbcr limited mode, not rgb full range. I basically just want a desktop thats not compromized in any way by having to use any limited or non full quality modes like non 4:4:4 or ycbcr limited.

Regards,
Mark
post #7778 of 13477
New VT50 65" owner here (purchased from Cleveland Plasma). Hung the set and connected to my a/v equipment over the weekend and so far I am very impressed.

I do have one issue and that's with the wireless internet connection... The TV shows as connected to my router and the signal is strong, but it will not connect to the internet. I manually entered the IP address etc, but for some reason internet connectivity is a problem. Perhaps I missed a step,,, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Chris
post #7779 of 13477
Good and Bad news, so my 55" VT50 was delivered yesterday afternoon. After I finished mounting and setting it up I was just in awe at the picture it produces compared to the LCD/LED TV's we own or other family members. I like the simple yet elegant design of the set and was pleased to find out mine has a manufactured date of Nov. 2012.

Turned it off and started to step out my room and out of the corner of my eye I saw what I originally thought were just finger print smudges on the bottom left corner of the set along the black bezel. I grab my microfiber cloth, damped it a little with some water and tried wiping it off but no luck. From the looks of it the marks are stuck on the inside of the glass panel. Took a quick drive to BestBuy and have another VT50 scheduled for delivery on Wed. It's such a shame though as the current set I have seems to have a flawless screen but once I noticed those smudge I find myself looking towards that area now even though it's not part of the screen. Here's a pic of the smudges I'm talking about, let me know what you guys think, pic is taken by my phone.

photo-8.jpg

The bright side to all this I guess is I don't have to be as careful with the current set and worry about break-in or IR since it's being replaced.
Edited by OPTIMO - 11/25/12 at 11:27am
post #7780 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIMO View Post

Good and Bad news, so my 55" VT50 was delivered yesterday afternoon. After I finished mounting and setting it up I was just in awe at the picture it produces compared to the LCD/LED TV's we own or other family members. I like the simple yet elegant design of the set and was pleased to find out mine has a manufactured date of Nov. 2012.
Turned it off and started to step out my room and out of the corner of my eye I saw what I originally thought were just finger print smudges on the bottom left corner of the set along the black bezel. I grab my microfiber cloth, damped it a little with some water and tried wiping it off but no luck. From the looks of it the marks are stuck on the inside of the glass panel. Took a quick drive to BestBuy and have another VT50 scheduled for delivery on Wed. It's such a shame though as the current set I have seems to have a flawless screen but once I noticed those smudge I find myself looking towards that area now even though it's not part of the screen. Here's a pic of the smudges I'm talking about, let me know what you guys think, pic is taken by my phone.
photo-8.jpg
The bright side to all this I guess is I don't have to be as careful with the current set and worry about break-in or IR since it's being replaced.

That is just crazy!! No wonder Panasonic are losing so much money when a tv can be released from production in such a state. Where is the quality control at the factory?
Luckily I just checked mine using a strong flashlight and the bezel/frame is perfect. Everything still going well at about 20 hours of 'break-in'.
Good luck with the replacement.
Bish
post #7781 of 13477
That really blows. I haven't mounted my VT 50 yet. I hope I don't encounter that problem. If I do I'll be so pissed. I'll call Panasonic up and MF them to death and force them to fix the problem or a law suit will occurr. You spend all that money and this is what happens to you. So unfair.

You have my deepest sympathy bro.

mad.gif
post #7782 of 13477
Thanks guys it's a minor inconvenience but still sucks since everything else on the TV is perfect. Thankfully I can enjoy this one now and hopefully the replacement unit will be fine.
post #7783 of 13477
Question about the wireless on the VT50.

Does the VT50 have wireless that comes built in or do you need to buy a wireless dongle?

Is the wireless reliable or should I just buy another router and bridge my routers and wire the TV?
post #7784 of 13477
Wireless is built in. I'm connected to my router and so far I've experienced no issues at all.
post #7785 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe 
Question about the wireless on the VT50.

Does the VT50 have wireless that comes built in or do you need to buy a wireless dongle?

Is the wireless reliable or should I just buy another router and bridge my routers and wire the TV?

Wireless is standard on it, and it's basically plug and play. All you do is set up the Internet access to wireless and connect to your network. That's what I did when my ISF calibrator came over. However, my VT50 is connected hardwire anyway since I have a multi-port switch behind all my components and just added my TV to the mix.
post #7786 of 13477
Hi All,

I apologize upfront smile.gif as I know this has been posted before (all over the place), but people's opinion seem to differ on this, and now that the set has been out for a while maybe opinions have changed...

I'm looking for the initial setup for the first 100-200 hours of break-in - I will not be using any slides to break it in, just 1.78 material... After that I'll do my own calibration...

My questions:

1) Which THX mode should I switch to (if any) ? I remember peeps said that with no calibration, one of THX mode is very nice out of the box...

2) reduce brightness and or contrast for the break-in period ?

3) use HD1 or HD2 during break in ? I think one of them has the option of the pixel orbiter, but then somebody mentioned to turn pixel orbiter Off during break in period...

4) what is a quick & convenient way to check for dead pixels ?


Thanks !

- M
post #7787 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Kay View Post

Hello Everyone,
Just had my replacement TV set up, it has the same problem as my previous one- was wondering if anyone has had this issue- I thought it was panel specific but since I got two in a row I'm now curious. It is probably best described by looking at the pictures below, but where ever there is white text on a colored background, I get dark lines that extend horizontally, at first I only noticed it on moving pictures but now its pretty obvious on moving pictures if you know what you are looking for. It happens on any source including Vierra content (pull up a trailer on Youtube, the Bourne Legacy Trailer 2 is a good example, when the green "PG-13" screen shows up). It seemed to get worse on my first panel, but this new one (whole new set) has it pretty obviously right out of the box.
The repairman saw it before he left and is going to contact Panasonic and see what they say, but just wondering if anyone else has this issue or would mind checking it out, I'd appreciate it.
My previous set also had some pretty bad image retention, from things like Pandora on Vierra- I would not watch it for a couple of days and it would still be easily visible on other content. My first panel also had three bright spots on it, not stuck pixels, they were probably 4 inches in diameter, those are resolved so with the new set- well we will see about the IR.
Thanks for your help,
Elliot


I have the same issue on my VT50, Netflix and movie trailers shows the same issue but they're not as bad as yours. I have about 150 hours on my VT50.
Not sure if this a defect with my PDP or all PDP shows the issue for first couple of hundreds hours.
post #7788 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

Wireless is built in. I'm connected to my router and so far I've experienced no issues at all.
Thanks
post #7789 of 13477
I'm looking at potentially purchasing a P65VT50 to replace my current 50" Kuro in the media room (and relegate that set to the bedroom). Quick question, can you/has anyone calibrated both 2D and 3D pictures on the set (presumably using ISF-Day for one and ISF-Night for the other)?

Without question there is both a luminance and color shift when viewing 3D on any set. Have folks corrected for this or is that just something the consumer has to deal with for the time being?
post #7790 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post

New VT50 65" owner here (purchased from Cleveland Plasma). Hung the set and connected to my a/v equipment over the weekend and so far I am very impressed.
I do have one issue and that's with the wireless internet connection... The TV shows as connected to my router and the signal is strong, but it will not connect to the internet. I manually entered the IP address etc, but for some reason internet connectivity is a problem. Perhaps I missed a step,,, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Chris

Check account's password ( 'case sensitive')
post #7791 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchild View Post

I'm looking at potentially purchasing a P65VT50 to replace my current 50" Kuro in the media room (and relegate that set to the bedroom). Quick question, can you/has anyone calibrated both 2D and 3D pictures on the set (presumably using ISF-Day for one and ISF-Night for the other)?
Without question there is both a luminance and color shift when viewing 3D on any set. Have folks corrected for this or is that just something the consumer has to deal with for the time being?

If you have the set professionally calibrated that will not be a problem. Should get ISF daylight, ISF Night, 3D, and Black & White calibrations and settings that one can then pick and choose as needed. One thing that should be adjusted by a professional is the color temperature which is probably not at 6500 Kelvin, or at least mine wasn't when it came out of the box.
post #7792 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledesma53 View Post

Check account's password ( 'case seInsitive')

I don't think I have any caps in my password, but will give it a look today. Although if I got my password wrong I thought my TV would NOT connect to the router at all, no?
post #7793 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post

I don't think I have any caps in my password, but will give it a look today. Although if I got my password wrong I thought my TV would NOT connect to the router at all, no?

If your router has MAC ADDRESS CONTROL enabled, you need to to add the VT50's Mac Address in the allowed list... otherwise it'll never make a wireless connection although your ssid and pw are correct...

you can find the VT50's mac Address under Main Menu > Network > Network Status

- M
post #7794 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIMO View Post

Good and Bad news, so my 55" VT50 was delivered yesterday afternoon. After I finished mounting and setting it up I was just in awe at the picture it produces compared to the LCD/LED TV's we own or other family members. I like the simple yet elegant design of the set and was pleased to find out mine has a manufactured date of Nov. 2012.
Turned it off and started to step out my room and out of the corner of my eye I saw what I originally thought were just finger print smudges on the bottom left corner of the set along the black bezel. I grab my microfiber cloth, damped it a little with some water and tried wiping it off but no luck. From the looks of it the marks are stuck on the inside of the glass panel. Took a quick drive to BestBuy and have another VT50 scheduled for delivery on Wed. It's such a shame though as the current set I have seems to have a flawless screen but once I noticed those smudge I find myself looking towards that area now even though it's not part of the screen. Here's a pic of the smudges I'm talking about, let me know what you guys think, pic is taken by my phone.
photo-8.jpg
The bright side to all this I guess is I don't have to be as careful with the current set and worry about break-in or IR since it's being replaced.

I had the same issue with one of the 65VT50s I had to exchange because of louder than normal buzzing. Three finger prints under the glass panel just like your pic. Hopefully the next one will be perfect for you.
post #7795 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

If your router has MAC ADDRESS CONTROL enabled, you need to to add the VT50's Mac Address in the allowed list... otherwise it'll never make a wireless connection although your ssid and pw are correct...
you can find the VT50's mac Address under Main Menu > Network > Network Status
- M

Thanks Iron Mike. I am not very computer savey, so I am curious, what is a Mac address? I do not even know if my router has a Mac Address Control or whether it is enabled. Is that something I can check by running an ipconfig/all?
post #7796 of 13477
Checking the ipconfig/all I see no mention of a Mac Address control.
post #7797 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

Hi All,
I apologize upfront smile.gif as I know this has been posted before (all over the place), but people's opinion seem to differ on this, and now that the set has been out for a while maybe opinions have changed...
I'm looking for the initial setup for the first 100-200 hours of break-in - I will not be using any slides to break it in, just 1.78 material... After that I'll do my own calibration...
My questions:
1) Which THX mode should I switch to (if any) ? I remember peeps said that with no calibration, one of THX mode is very nice out of the box...
2) reduce brightness and or contrast for the break-in period ?
3) use HD1 or HD2 during break in ? I think one of them has the option of the pixel orbiter, but then somebody mentioned to turn pixel orbiter Off during break in period...
4) what is a quick & convenient way to check for dead pixels ?
Thanks !
- M

1) THX Bright Cinema
2) I didn't change anything. Brightness in the mid 50's and contrast in the mid to low 80's is fine.
3) HD2. The pixel orbiter is off when using the THX modes.
4) Full screen red/green/blue slides. Get close to the TV.
post #7798 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post

Thanks Iron Mike. I am not very computer savey, so I am curious, what is a Mac address? I do not even know if my router has a Mac Address Control or whether it is enabled. Is that something I can check by running an ipconfig/all?

cssnms....I had the same exact problem. No matter what I did or tried… nothing worked and I couldn’t connect to my router. What finally worked for me was:- I turned off the TV, then I unplugged the power cord to my router. I waited about 30 seconds then I plugged the power cord back into the router and waited for the router to fully reboot and reload(about 3 minuetes). After it was done fully rebooting, I turned the TV back on and was able to connect to my router and download the latest software update for the TV. Give it a try..... it worked for me.
post #7799 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark007 View Post

I basically want to ask is there any way on the VT50 to get this same combination of output quality, ie exactly this
RGB 0-255 full range
60hz
4:4:4
I seem to see conflicting answers on this, some saying it can only be done in ycbcr limited mode, not rgb full range. I basically just want a desktop thats not compromized in any way by having to use any limited or non full quality modes like non 4:4:4 or ycbcr limited.

The VT50 can do RGB full range, 60Hz and 4:4:4. Isn't RGB distinct from 4:4:4 though? The latter is somewhat compressed (less so than 4:2:2).
post #7800 of 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchild View Post

calibrated both 2D and 3D pictures on the set (presumably using ISF-Day for one and ISF-Night for the other)?

The VT50's ISFccc Interface has 4 memories Per Input, isf Night and isf Day for 2D - isf Night and isf Day for 3D.... you can have a isf Night for both 2D and 3D on the same Input, they are separate memories.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread