or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 261

post #7801 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

The VT50's ISFccc Interface has 4 memories Per Input, isf Night and isf Day for 2D - isf Night and isf Day for 3D.... you can have a isf Night for both 2D and 3D on the same Input, they are separate memories.

Perfect, thank you.
post #7802 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit 1 View Post

cssnms....I had the same exact problem. No matter what I did or tried… nothing worked and I couldn’t connect to my router. What finally worked for me was:- I turned off the TV, then I unplugged the power cord to my router. I waited about 30 seconds then I plugged the power cord back into the router and waited for the router to fully reboot and reload(about 3 minuetes). After it was done fully rebooting, I turned the TV back on and was able to connect to my router and download the latest software update for the TV. Give it a try..... it worked for me.

Summit I tried this yesterday and I even did the initial set-up all over again and still internet connection. TV says it is connected to my router, but it just will not connect to the internet for some reason. I've heard there are sometimes router compatibility issues. My Verizon FIOS router is more than a couple of years old, so I am not sure if that is problem?
post #7803 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMZ View Post

I have the same issue on my VT50, Netflix and movie trailers shows the same issue but they're not as bad as yours. I have about 150 hours on my VT50.
Not sure if this a defect with my PDP or all PDP shows the issue for first couple of hundreds hours.

I probably had 150 hours on my previous set- it seemed to get worse on time, this is a brand new set and it looks pretty similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

What are your screen settings?

THX Cinema- the pictures look pretty realistic on the computer as they do in real life. I just watched "The Campaign" and the credits at the end are red background with white scrolling text- I get visible darkened the scroll with the text, easily visible from 10 feet.

Thanks.
post #7804 of 13479
Sorry to bring up what for some is a sore topic but I'm curious where things are at with Panasonic and previous issues of rising black levels and other issues. I believe Panasonic said they aren't an issue anymore but I'd like to ask people who own the VT50 if the issues on previous sets has indeed gone away on the VT50.
post #7805 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Sorry to bring up what for some is a sore topic but I'm curious where things are at with Panasonic and previous issues of rising black levels and other issues. I believe Panasonic said they aren't an issue anymore but I'd like to ask people who own the VT50 if the issues on previous sets has indeed gone away on the VT50.

The Rising blacks were corrected with the 2011 models, FBR was fixed with a firmware upgrade mid year of 2011. Floating blacks was also corrected in 2011.
post #7806 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post

Thanks Iron Mike. I am not very computer savey, so I am curious, what is a Mac address? I do not even know if my router has a Mac Address Control or whether it is enabled. Is that something I can check by running an ipconfig/all?

a MAC address is a string identifying a device, similar to a serial number... using this string u can limit access to a wireless router so that only the devices allowed via their MAC address can connect to the router, further limiting the possibility of somebody hijacking your router and your wireless connection...

it is a very basic method and most routers should have that feature... AFAIK, you must enable that feature, as by default it is turned off... so if u never heard of it, I'm assuming you have not enabled it - unless somebody else setup your router for you...

the reason why I mention it, b/c I have MAC address control enabled and I forgot to add my VT50's Mac address to the allowed list, and it couldn't connect until I remembered... cool.gif

since you mentioned in another post, your VT50 says IT IS CONNECTED, there seems to be another problem...
post #7807 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

1) THX Bright Cinema
2) I didn't change anything. Brightness in the mid 50's and contrast in the mid to low 80's is fine.
3) HD2. The pixel orbiter is off when using the THX modes.
4) Full screen red/green/blue slides. Get close to the TV.

thank you, robnix !

- M
post #7808 of 13479
Short bit of info for you guys. I sent out a mail to Panasonic enquiring about the peak luminance on EU models, which is alot lower then the models in the rest of the world. The could not answer it and sent the question to the factory in Japan. They sent me back black luminance values, although I was enquiring about peak white. Interesting thing is though that they sent me measurement results from the factory. This proves once and for all that the VT series, in certain modes, has worse black values then the ST series. Their explanation is as following, it is due to the ability to display smoother gradation on the VT's that the black level had to be sacrificed. Here are the numbers i got from them.

Measurement results:

VT50
Dynamic 0,000 cd/m2
Normal, THX, THX Bright room, Game 0,016 cd/m2
Cinema, Professional 1, Professional 2 0,041 cd/m2

ST50
Dynamic 0,000 cd/m2
Normal, Cinema, True cinema, Game 0,016 cd/m2


Panasonic picked up my 3rd defect VT50 this week. Maybe I should look into an ST in combination with a Lumagen radiance mini or something. You guys think that would allow equal image (like VT50)?

edit1: This leaves me to believe this means that the higher gradation steps are only visible in Cinema and Pro modes, as they are the ones with lowered black levels.
edit2:edited error
Edited by azurisk - 11/27/12 at 3:29pm
post #7809 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

The Rising blacks were corrected with the 2011 models, FBR was fixed with a firmware upgrade mid year of 2011. Floating blacks was also corrected in 2011.

Thanks. I heard they were fixed. I just wanted to make sure no one was still experiencing them on the VT50
post #7810 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Thanks. I heard they were fixed. I just wanted to make sure no one was still experiencing them on the VT50

I dont own a VT50 but believe if those were current problems you wouldnt have to look far to find threads about it on this forum.
post #7811 of 13479
Hi all, I'm about to sell my Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-110 after enjoying it many years and am set to buy a 65VT50. Does anyone have any initial set up tips or anything else to pass on? I'm going to BB to hopefully work some price matching magic tonight and would likely receive the TV next Thursday or Friday if all goes well. I've flipped through the thread, but at this point it's a tad ginormous and hard to pick through. Many thanks, I'm looking forward to joining the club.
post #7812 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post

Short bit of info for you guys. I sent out a mail to Panasonic enquiring about the peak luminance on EU models, which is alot lower then the models in the rest of the world. The could not answer it and sent the question to the factory in Japan. They sent me back black luminance values, although I was enquiring about peak white. Interesting thing is though that they sent me measurement results from the factory. This proves once and for all that the VT series has lower black values then the ST series. Their explanation is as following, it is due to the ability to display smoother gradation on the VT's that the black level had to be lowered. Here are the numbers i got from them.
Measurement results:
VT50
Dynamic 0,000 cd/m2
Normal, THX, THX Bright room, Game 0,016 cd/m2
Cinema, Professional 1, Professional 2 0,041 cd/m2
ST50
Dynamic 0,000 cd/m2
Normal, Cinema, True cinema, Game 0,016 cd/m2
Panasonic picked up my 3rd defect VT50 this week. Maybe I should look into an ST in combination with a Lumagen radiance mini or something. You guys think that would allow equal image (like VT50)?
edit1: This leaves me to believe this means that the higher gradation steps are only visible in Cinema and Pro modes, as they are the ones with lowered black levels.

I am under the impression that the better black filter in the VT50 is the reason it has the better blacks. The more gradation steps I always thought was more for extra shadow detail in darker areas. The review from HDTV test says that the extra gradation steps are used in THX modes as well (which makes sense because they are Cinema mode, just modified by THX)
post #7813 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt989 View Post

I am under the impression that the better black filter in the VT50 is the reason it has the better blacks. The more gradation steps I always thought was more for extra shadow detail in darker areas. The review from HDTV test says that the extra gradation steps are used in THX modes as well (which makes sense because they are Cinema mode, just modified by THX)

Well these figures come from the panasonic factory in Japan, took 4 months for them to reply. I assume they know how to measure their tv's. And as they say the higher black level is due to the improved gradation steps I assume that is only in the modes I listed (Cinema, Professional 1, Professional 2) as those have higher black luminance values (0.041 opposed to 0.016).
post #7814 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post

The VT50 can do RGB full range, 60Hz and 4:4:4. Isn't RGB distinct from 4:4:4 though? The latter is somewhat compressed (less so than 4:2:2).

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I guess I should have been clearer. Although TV''s may be connected to the pc, for example using a HDMI or DVI cable at RGB 32bit, internally they can still use YCbCr and at different quality levels as far as I understand.

I know with my own TV, it can connect in RGB 1080p but shows the typical low quality reds on black backgrounds, UNLESS I select the PC Mode connected to HDMI 2.

I see my TV listed on this 4:4:4 discussion page, forum post 2

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread
Quote:
2008 Samsung LN46A950 PASS A1 PC mode required

On this hdtvtest review, it says the TV wasn't able to do 4:4:4 when inputting RGB signals. frown.giffrown.gif
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50vt50b-p50vt50-201204101757.htm?page=Calibration

Quote from that review is
Quote:
"Full 4:4:4 reproduction (PC) Yes, only with YCbCr signal type, not RGB, some subtle “ringing” artefacts present on highly saturated transitions due to edge enhancement, see notes"

Thats a huge downgrade for me unless its fixed in any of your guys TVs with perhaps newer firmware? I use lots of desktop applications on my PC and don't want to have to output anything other than simple 60hz RGB and i expect the TV to reproduce that without any loss in quality. I intend to primarily use the TV in that exact mode, RGB, 1080p, 60hz.
post #7815 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post

Well these figures come from the panasonic factory in Japan, took 4 months for them to reply. I assume they know how to measure their tv's. And as they say the higher black level is due to the improved gradation steps I assume that is only in the modes I listed (Cinema, Professional 1, Professional 2) as those have higher black luminance values (0.041 opposed to 0.016).

Hmm, your confusing me now here. Your first post indicated that those modes have a lower black level. In the above quoted post you say has a higher black level. I am not sure, since HDTV test saw that THX Cinema, THX Bright Room pro 1 and pro 2 modes all take advantage of the better gradation steps (which makes since because the THX modes are Cinema mode, but just modified by THX themselves.)

In your original post you say this "This leaves me to believe this means that the higher gradation steps are only visible in Cinema and Pro modes, as they are the ones with lowered black levels."

in the above post you say "And as they say the higher black level is due to the improved gradation steps I assume that is only in the modes I listed (Cinema, Professional 1, Professional 2) as those have higher black luminance values (0.041 opposed to 0.016)" So I guess I am confused.

To my understanding the extra steps of gradation are in the following modes:
Cinema
THX Cinema
THX Bright room
pro 1 and pro 2 (and the ISF day and ISF night modes for US models)

Edit - Also, 0.016 measurment would be the deeper blacks correct? Well in that email Panasonic gave you, the better black levels includes the THX modes? Did they calibrate the pro modes? or were those the stock settings? because it does not add up. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Edited by Bolt989 - 11/27/12 at 12:27pm
post #7816 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt989 View Post

Hmm, your confusing me now here. Your first post indicated that those modes have a lower black level. In the above quoted post you say has a higher black level. I am not sure, since HDTV test saw that THX Cinema, THX Bright Room pro 1 and pro 2 modes all take advantage of the better gradation steps (which makes since because the THX modes are Cinema mode, but just modified by THX themselves.)
In your original post you say this "This leaves me to believe this means that the higher gradation steps are only visible in Cinema and Pro modes, as they are the ones with lowered black levels."
in the above post you say "And as they say the higher black level is due to the improved gradation steps I assume that is only in the modes I listed (Cinema, Professional 1, Professional 2) as those have higher black luminance values (0.041 opposed to 0.016)" So I guess I am confused.
To my understanding the extra steps of gradation are in the following modes:
Cinema
THX Cinema
THX Bright room
pro 1 and pro 2 (and the ISF day and ISF night modes for US models)
Edit - Also, 0.016 measurment would be the deeper blacks correct? Well in that email Panasonic gave you, the better black levels includes the THX modes? Did they calibrate the pro modes? or were those the stock settings? because it does not add up. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a snippet from what David says over at HDTVTest

"One last note regarding Panasonic’s promotional materials. The company promised increased gradation, but with the footnote that this was “When using Cinema mode”. “Cinema” mode actually exaggerates colours slightly, leading to video enthusiasts worrying that this improvement would go wasted in the best picture modes on the VT50. Fortunately, jumping between the different picture modes with dark source material lets us see that the THX Cinema, THX Bright Room, Professional1 and Professional2 modes all take advantage of the superior panel driving mode."
post #7817 of 13479
So I contacted Panasonic about the vertical lines running through my screen and it almost seems that they are not going to do anything about it. I truly believe this is having an overall affect on my picture quality too as the overall picture is not as sharp as the first VT50 I had. I think they are still looking into things. Hoping they'll be nice enough to do a replacement. It's annoying to know it's there.
post #7818 of 13479
Apologies if this has been asked before. My VT50 is arriving Thursday. I would like to know what I should avoid doing first few hundred hours. I am not planning on running any slides or any type of break-in. From reading this forum, my understanding is that I should,

1. Avoid watching SD
2. Avoid having static pictures for long times.

Any other stuff that I should avoid during first few hundred hours? My plan is just to watch regular HD content and not do much.

Thanks,
MSR
post #7819 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt989 View Post

Hmm, your confusing me now here. Your first post indicated that those modes have a lower black level. In the above quoted post you say has a higher black level. I am not sure, since HDTV test saw that THX Cinema, THX Bright Room pro 1 and pro 2 modes all take advantage of the better gradation steps (which makes since because the THX modes are Cinema mode, but just modified by THX themselves.)
In your original post you say this "This leaves me to believe this means that the higher gradation steps are only visible in Cinema and Pro modes, as they are the ones with lowered black levels."
in the above post you say "And as they say the higher black level is due to the improved gradation steps I assume that is only in the modes I listed (Cinema, Professional 1, Professional 2) as those have higher black luminance values (0.041 opposed to 0.016)" So I guess I am confused.
To my understanding the extra steps of gradation are in the following modes:
Cinema
THX Cinema
THX Bright room
pro 1 and pro 2 (and the ISF day and ISF night modes for US models)
Edit - Also, 0.016 measurment would be the deeper blacks correct? Well in that email Panasonic gave you, the better black levels includes the THX modes? Did they calibrate the pro modes? or were those the stock settings? because it does not add up. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, I wrote that down incorrectly. Has been corrected now. Black level in cinema and pro modes are worse then the others. You can see by looking at the numbers. I assume it's a stock tv they did their measurements on.

Dynamic 0,000 cd/m2
Normal, THX, THX Bright room, Game 0,016 cd/m2
Cinema, Professional 1, Professional 2 0,041 cd/m2

So worse black in Cinema, Pro 1 and 2. This in combination with the following remark, makes me believe the gradation steps are only enhanced in these modes.
Qoute: "We discussed then about the black level of the ST50 and VT50. The VT50 had worse values than the ST50. It is due to the ability of displaying smoother gradation which makes a picture nicer but unfortunately the black level will be not as low. "
post #7820 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by msr999 View Post

Apologies if this has been asked before. My VT50 is arriving Thursday. I would like to know what I should avoid doing first few hundred hours. I am not planning on running any slides or any type of break-in. From reading this forum, my understanding is that I should,
1. Avoid watching SD
2. Avoid having static pictures for long times.
Any other stuff that I should avoid during first few hundred hours? My plan is just to watch regular HD content and not do much.
Thanks,
MSR

My 2c: use the TV however you plan on using it. Use a calibration disc to set basic controls. Make it look good, ie, as bright as it needs to be to look good in your room condition. Watch whatever you normally watch. If this causes problems, then maybe get something else.

The tv is yours to enjoy. It should serve you, not you it smile.gif

Ps: you can use these cnet settings to start

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-564711/panasonic-tc-p65vt50-picture-settings/?tag=StickyWin_1338818924521;createThreadPopup
post #7821 of 13479
This is just an update with some questions for all you 65" VT50 owners.

After reading these posts, I went ahead and bought the 65" VT50 for my bedroom, it was delivered by best buy
and hung up by them as well, on the wall bracket that the much heavier pioneer 6010 hung on..... Bit of an issue
with the adaptor bracket that chief sold me for the panasonic, due to the power supply being right in the way of
the bracket plate, except we made it work by some adjustments....

Out of the box, the picture was awful.... Once we did some custom adjustments it looked better and kept improving
over the first few days... Actually the change was quite visible even after 2 days thats around 24 hours of HBO HD.

It's now had 150 hours of HBO HD, picture so far looks great, no issues that I can see.... One of the earlier post's
talked about fingerprints behind the screen... I will check that properly tomorrow .... I don't think there are any, but
will check closely .... I have not really been watching the TV just playing it with no volume....

Sound was awful, asked about sound bars on this tread, someone suggested a boston acoustic model... Went to
best buy, and found a deal on their energy sound bar with a 10" wireless subwoofer normally $599 for 50% off...
Attached that and have much improved sound now....

My only complaints so far are, the power light on the TV, why would they put it off the center instead of to one
side? Why would they leave it as being a bright red when on... The pioneer is red when off and turns to a blue
when on.... Anyway, it's the most annoying thing about the TV... IS this just me, or does it bother others? I am
thinking of using a sharpie to dull it, or putting a tape over it! Any ideas... I hope its not just me, I hope it bothers
someone else too....

The next thing, is the Netflix Menu through the TV, On my pioneer we watched Netflix through Apple TV, it had
a much better look to it .... Can this be changed via any settings on the panasonic?

Picture looks great, the Tv looks cheap compared to the Pioneer.... I do think Plasma's are so much better than
any LED/LCD, so glad I went the plasma route... Just wish they would build them better....

STILL cannot stand the silver bezel around it .....

Thanks for all your help with deciding on this TV..... The Pioneer 60" has been moved to another room, and looks
as good as day one....which is 6 yrs old now... Hope this Panasonic lasts that long....
post #7822 of 13479
So is everyone with VT50 even doing the slides since D-Nice never posted his settings? I just got my 65VT50 and have been running the slides for 22 hrs so far. Unfortunately I didn't realize that I needed to turn the orbiter off since that wasn't in D-Nice's original post. It does need to be off correct? Do you think this could affect it much?

What video size do I need to set the TV to? I didn't change it from whatever it was on from default since D-Nice said to leave everything on default but since I already screwed up on the orbiter, I want to make sure I set the size correctly.

Thanks!
post #7823 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

My 2c: use the TV however you plan on using it. Use a calibration disc to set basic controls. Make it look good, ie, as bright as it needs to be to look good in your room condition. Watch whatever you normally watch. If this causes problems, then maybe get something else.
The tv is yours to enjoy. It should serve you, not you it smile.gif
Ps: you can use these cnet settings to start
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-564711/panasonic-tc-p65vt50-picture-settings/?tag=StickyWin_1338818924521;createThreadPopup

Thanks Barth. Great advice. The settings seem to be for dim lit room. I always watch in bright light. Any good settings you recommend? Thanks
post #7824 of 13479
I am running the slides and I noticed that on white/gray slides there is a single column of blue pixels running up and down the far left side of the TV and a single column of green pixels up and down the far right side. Is this normal? Seems odd..
post #7825 of 13479
black ops 2, but on ps3, no problem with 3d, pretty sick, good luck!
post #7826 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIMO View Post

Good and Bad news, so my 55" VT50 was delivered yesterday afternoon. After I finished mounting and setting it up I was just in awe at the picture it produces compared to the LCD/LED TV's we own or other family members. I like the simple yet elegant design of the set and was pleased to find out mine has a manufactured date of Nov. 2012.
Turned it off and started to step out my room and out of the corner of my eye I saw what I originally thought were just finger print smudges on the bottom left corner of the set along the black bezel. I grab my microfiber cloth, damped it a little with some water and tried wiping it off but no luck. From the looks of it the marks are stuck on the inside of the glass panel. Took a quick drive to BestBuy and have another VT50 scheduled for delivery on Wed. It's such a shame though as the current set I have seems to have a flawless screen but once I noticed those smudge I find myself looking towards that area now even though it's not part of the screen. Here's a pic of the smudges I'm talking about, let me know what you guys think, pic is taken by my phone.
photo-8.jpg
The bright side to all this I guess is I don't have to be as careful with the current set and worry about break-in or IR since it's being replaced.

how do you know the manufacture date?rolleyes.gif
post #7827 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral456 View Post

how do you know the manufacture date?rolleyes.gif

Look on the back of the TV.
Bish
post #7828 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

So is everyone with VT50 even doing the slides since D-Nice never posted his settings? I just got my 65VT50 and have been running the slides for 22 hrs so far. Unfortunately I didn't realize that I needed to turn the orbiter off since that wasn't in D-Nice's original post. It does need to be off correct? Do you think this could affect it much?
What video size do I need to set the TV to? I didn't change it from whatever it was on from default since D-Nice said to leave everything on default but since I already screwed up on the orbiter, I want to make sure I set the size correctly.
Thanks!

Don't worry about it, you are fine. Just give your VT50 a rest now and start to enjoy some Blu Ray full screen movies.

I don't really think the orbiter is of much help if any, I don't use it. Just below the orbiter there is the sweep option and that I would advise to use regularly.

ss
post #7829 of 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post

Hi all, I'm about to sell my Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-110 after enjoying it many years and am set to buy a 65VT50. Does anyone have any initial set up tips or anything else to pass on? I'm going to BB to hopefully work some price matching magic tonight and would likely receive the TV next Thursday or Friday if all goes well. I've flipped through the thread, but at this point it's a tad ginormous and hard to pick through. Many thanks, I'm looking forward to joining the club.

Purchased my 65VT50 tonight and will pick it up tomorrow. Does anyone have a link to D-Nice's break-in slides? I looked at the beginning of the thread and did a search and couldn't find them. Thanks. I'll post pics when it's set up.
post #7830 of 13479
I am thinking about buying this TV after reading lots of positive reviews. I honestly dont care about 3D at all and will be buying it only for its 2D capabilities. However, I have been using my PS3 for my bluray player since I bought it at launch. My question is does it make sense to keep the PS3 as my bluray player or should I purchase a dedicated Bluray player for better picture quality and features. if I should upgrade, can you recommend a good one for around $200?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread