or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 276

post #8251 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc753 View Post

You seem to be referring to how the various aspect settings handle 4:3 content. I'm referring to how they handle native 16:9 1080i and 1080p content. JUST takes 16:9 content and stretches it rather than displaying it properly.
What is the setting to use for 1:1 pixel mapping with no change to the source aspect ratio?
post #8252 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I do need to spend more time in the 3D menus to see what I can tweak. I definitely have not done that yet. There is still hope!

Switch the picture mode to THX 3D Cinema.
post #8253 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

What is the setting to use for 1:1 pixel mapping with no change to the source aspect ratio?

It's supposed to be JUST. That's the source of my confusion.
post #8254 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt989 View Post

Switch the picture mode to THX 3D Cinema.

No difference. I'm taking my Samsung glasses and blu-ray to BBY this afternoon and see if it is the glasses or the tv.
post #8255 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc753 View Post

It's supposed to be JUST. That's the source of my confusion.

I believe this is incorrect. Just is for 4:3 image stretching. I believe you want Full with HD Size 2. I've only had the panel for 24 hours, so I'd love to hear from others.
post #8256 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

No difference. I'm taking my Samsung glasses and blu-ray to BBY this afternoon and see if it is the glasses or the tv.

It's not the glasses. I have both glasses and they're identical in function. The 3D in The Avengers, Prometheus, and other movies use depth more than pop-out. Quite frankly if your Samsung was putting everything out in front of the TV AFAIC, the Samsung was the one that was doing something wrong.
post #8257 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

It's not the glasses. I have both glasses and they're identical in function. The 3D in The Avengers, Prometheus, and other movies use depth more than pop-out. Quite frankly if your Samsung was putting everything out in front of the TV AFAIC, the Samsung was the one that was doing something wrong.

I think you can change the overall depth of the image in the 3D options unless that is only for the 2D to 3D conversion.
post #8258 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

I think you can change the overall depth of the image in the 3D options unless that is only for the 2D to 3D conversion.

You can, but with The Avengers, there's only one or two good popout moments until the end of the movie. Most of the 3D just adds added depth to the scenes.

A good point to check fo popout is when BW pulls he gun on The Hulk.
post #8259 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

No difference. I'm taking my Samsung glasses and blu-ray to BBY this afternoon and see if it is the glasses or the tv.

Since you're using the OLD Samsung glasses and not the NEW ones, again make sure that they are BlueTooth and not Infrared.
post #8260 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I believe this is incorrect. Just is for 4:3 image stretching. I believe you want Full with HD Size 2. I've only had the panel for 24 hours, so I'd love to hear from others.

You are correct. On a Panasonic Just is for 4:3 image stretching, pixel match is Full with HD Size 2. Aspect ratio naming differs from mfg. to mfg. On an LG, for example, pixel matching is labelled "Just".
post #8261 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

You are correct. On a Panasonic Just is for 4:3 image stretching, pixel match is Full with HD Size 2. Aspect ratio naming differs from mfg. to mfg. On an LG, for example, pixel matching is labelled "Just".

That clears it up! On previous Samsung and LG products I've owned, JUST was the opposite, as you said. Thank you!
post #8262 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

It's not the glasses. I have both glasses and they're identical in function. The 3D in The Avengers, Prometheus, and other movies use depth more than pop-out. Quite frankly if your Samsung was putting everything out in front of the TV AFAIC, the Samsung was the one that was doing something wrong.

Just got back from Best Buy with the Panasonic glasses. 3D is alive, just like I would have expected and how I experienced with my Samsung TV. In this case, it was the glasses! Perhaps we are talking different units from Samsung. Mine are for the UN60D7000 (LED). Model numbers are SSG-3050GB and SSG-3500CR which are for 2011 models. Perhaps some of you are using the 2012 Samsung glasses and the newer model is working...not certain.

Shame on me for not posting the model number and year in my previous post. Obviously you guys are using 2012 Samsung glasses and they work fine. I just bought a few pairs on Amazon for the kids to wear. I'll wear the more comfortable, albeit expensive, Panasonic glasses.
Edited by scirica - 12/14/12 at 1:39pm
post #8263 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Just got back from Best Buy with the Panasonic glasses. 3D is alive, just like I would have expected and how I experienced with my Samsung TV. In this case, it was the glasses! Perhaps we are talking different units from Samsung. Mine are for the UN60D7000 (LED). Model numbers are SSG-3050GB and SSG-3500CR which are for 2011 models. Perhaps some of you are using the 2012 Samsung glasses and the newer model is working...not certain.
Shame on me for not posting the model number and year in my previous post. Obviously you guys are using 2012 Samsung glasses and they work fine. I just bought a few pairs on Amazon for the kids to wear. I'll wear the more comfortable, albeit expensive, Panasonic glasses.

Aha! Glad you got it sorted out. We did the same thing, the cheap glasses for the kids and the nicer ones for us.
post #8264 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Just got back from Best Buy with the Panasonic glasses. 3D is alive, just like I would have expected and how I experienced with my Samsung TV. In this case, it was the glasses! Perhaps we are talking different units from Samsung. Mine are for the UN60D7000 (LED). Model numbers are SSG-3050GB and SSG-3500CR which are for 2011 models. Perhaps some of you are using the 2012 Samsung glasses and the newer model is working...not certain.
Shame on me for not posting the model number and year in my previous post. Obviously you guys are using 2012 Samsung glasses and they work fine. I just bought a few pairs on Amazon for the kids to wear. I'll wear the more comfortable, albeit expensive, Panasonic glasses.

I suppose incompatible glasses could be a problem eek.gif Glad you got it straightened out and can enjoy your Panny.

The Samsung glasses that are incredibly popular for use with the 2012 Panasonic plasmas are the SSG-4100GB model, which are RF (not IR like years past). The reason everyone goes for these is that they are 1/3 the cost of the Panasonic ones.
post #8265 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

I suppose incompatible glasses could be a problem eek.gif Glad you got it straightened out and can enjoy your Panny.
The Samsung glasses that are incredibly popular for use with the 2012 Panasonic plasmas are the SSG-4100GB model, which are RF (not IR like years past). The reason everyone goes for these is that they are 1/3 the cost of the Panasonic ones.

Yep...In my post. I went straight to Amazon and bought 4 pairs for the "cheap seats" biggrin.gif
post #8266 of 13481
Delurking to say hello. I originally ordered a 65" ST50 from Amazon to replace my 52" Sony XBR4. It arrived DOA this afternoon. Powered it up and all it would do is buzz. Really loudly. Delivery dudes took it away. I didn't want to wait another week, so I poked around local stores and found a 65" VT50 for 700 off Amazon's price. So I went for it. Arrives tomorrow. Not going to bother with prep slides, life's too short. Can't wait to fire up all the demos I've been accumulating over the years. Woo!
post #8267 of 13481
I think I've finally gone too far...
post #8268 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post

Delurking to say hello. I originally ordered a 65" ST50 from Amazon to replace my 52" Sony XBR4. It arrived DOA this afternoon. Powered it up and all it would do is buzz. Really loudly. Delivery dudes took it away. I didn't want to wait another week, so I poked around local stores and found a 65" VT50 for 700 off Amazon's price. So I went for it. Arrives tomorrow. Not going to bother with prep slides, life's too short. Can't wait to fire up all the demos I've been accumulating over the years. Woo!

Sounds like someone who knows how to enjoy a TV!
post #8269 of 13481
Mark_b,
We're having the same flashing/flickering problem on our 55vt50. It's most visible on basketball games. The brightness level jumps up to what must be maximum and then gradually returns to the initial level. That's on Cable input. On DVD's ( Twilight night scenes ) the overall darkness becomes brighter and gradually fades back. I went through the "Call Panasonic, open a case file, complain and get a factory certified repair guy" routine. He came out and said Panasonic had no idea about what I was describing and he was there to see what was happening. I had DVRd a basketball game so we watched it. Same thing happened as on the live broadcast in exactly the same place. I can pause the game and step frame by frame and watch the brightness jump up on the same frame every time, same as with a DVD. We also watched a live game, same thing.

This all happens regardless of source or content or input. So, he came back with a new "A board", replaced it and........same identical thing. We've played with all the controls - CATS, NR, etc - makes no difference. Played with all Picture modes. Doesn't happen in the brightest mode simply because it can't get any brighter. So now Panasonic is refunding our money, not exchanging for another. We're looking at getting another from BB ( they price matched an $1808 Internet price ) to see if it happens again.

My suspicions are: 1. They know about this even though they say they don't ( They did a similar problem thing about 18 months ago on previous sets but had "fixed" the problem on the latest sets( guess not ). 2. It's a random occurance and they have no idea why it happens. 3. Since they don't know why, they can't screen for it in manufacturing test.

So, go for a replacement if you want to but it might not fix the problem. Or get a refund and buy another one. Might not fix the problem. But I figure if we get another and it does the same thig we'll get a second refund and move on. Too bad because it's a nice set. Good luck.
post #8270 of 13481
Finally got my 65VT50 delivered on Wednesday. Was able to unbox it and inspect it for damage before signing for it. It's sitting in my living room waiting for the basement media room to be finished in the next few weeks. I plan to plug it in tomorrow to get a look at it and start running the break in slides. Can't believe how big it is compared to my 60" Sharp LCD. It really is a beautiful TV.
post #8271 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMafia View Post

Mark_b,
We're having the same flashing/flickering problem on our 55vt50. It's most visible on basketball games. The brightness level jumps up to what must be maximum and then gradually returns to the initial level. That's on Cable input. On DVD's ( Twilight night scenes ) the overall darkness becomes brighter and gradually fades back. I went through the "Call Panasonic, open a case file, complain and get a factory certified repair guy" routine. He came out and said Panasonic had no idea about what I was describing and he was there to see what was happening. I had DVRd a basketball game so we watched it. Same thing happened as on the live broadcast in exactly the same place. I can pause the game and step frame by frame and watch the brightness jump up on the same frame every time, same as with a DVD. We also watched a live game, same thing.
This all happens regardless of source or content or input. So, he came back with a new "A board", replaced it and........same identical thing. We've played with all the controls - CATS, NR, etc - makes no difference. Played with all Picture modes. Doesn't happen in the brightest mode simply because it can't get any brighter. So now Panasonic is refunding our money, not exchanging for another. We're looking at getting another from BB ( they price matched an $1808 Internet price ) to see if it happens again.
My suspicions are: 1. They know about this even though they say they don't ( They did a similar problem thing about 18 months ago on previous sets but had "fixed" the problem on the latest sets( guess not ). 2. It's a random occurance and they have no idea why it happens. 3. Since they don't know why, they can't screen for it in manufacturing test.
So, go for a replacement if you want to but it might not fix the problem. Or get a refund and buy another one. Might not fix the problem. But I figure if we get another and it does the same thig we'll get a second refund and move on. Too bad because it's a nice set. Good luck.

Are you sure the flashing/flickering problem when watching basketball games isn't the arena strobe lighting referred to earlier in this thread?
post #8272 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBoston View Post

Finally got my 65VT50 delivered on Wednesday. Was able to unbox it and inspect it for damage before signing for it. It's sitting in my living room waiting for the basement media room to be finished in the next few weeks. I plan to plug it in tomorrow to get a look at it and start running the break in slides. Can't believe how big it is compared to my 60" Sharp LCD. It really is a beautiful TV.

Congrats! Got mine yesterday and it's up and running on a table in front of my fireplace (60" to be replaced is still wall-mounted above fireplace). I had them both running the same blu-ray earlier and I was also amazed by the size difference!
post #8273 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Congrats! Got mine yesterday and it's up and running on a table in front of my fireplace (60" to be replaced is still wall-mounted above fireplace). I had them both running the same blu-ray earlier and I was also amazed by the size difference!

Despite the TV's getting bigger, the boxes keep getting smaller. I bought a Sony KDF-60XS955 RP LCDTV eight years ago and the box was massive. Then bought a Sharp LC-60E77UN three years ago when the Sony's optical block developed the blue haze for the second time, and that box was a bit smaller (and the TV much thicker that the 65VT50). The box of the 65VT50 is surprisingly small for such a big TV.
post #8274 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBoston View Post

Despite the TV's getting bigger, the boxes keep getting smaller. I bought a Sony KDF-60XS955 RP LCDTV eight years ago and the box was massive. Then bought a Sharp LC-60E77UN three years ago when the Sony's optical block developed the blue haze for the second time, and that box was a bit smaller (and the TV much thicker that the 65VT50). The box of the 65VT50 is surprisingly small for such a big TV.

The bok for my 65VT50 is actually smaller than the box for my 50PX600 -- a 50 inch -- by quite a bit. When I went to put it in the garage at first I was sure it wouldn't fit and was pleasantly surprised to find it freed up space in the garage racks for other storage. smile.gif
post #8275 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The bok for my 65VT50 is actually smaller than the box for my 50PX600 -- a 50 inch -- by quite a bit. When I went to put it in the garage at first I was sure it wouldn't fit and was pleasantly surprised to find it freed up space in the garage racks for other storage. smile.gif

When I was standing at a distance watching the delivery guys take it out of the truck, I thought that box was too small and that had to be the 55". I was actually surprised to see it was indeed the 65".
post #8276 of 13481


Break in slides show up as duplicates with one pair that doesn't work. This is keeping me from running them. These are evangelo slides, i tried downloading from different sources and same problem. I've tried an SD card and external hard drive. Both were even formatted to FAT32 and still same problem. WHy are they showing up twice and why is one pair unreadable? Any help would be appreciated.
post #8277 of 13481
Did you add these files using a PC or MAC? A MAC will add an info file between each photo. You have to import then export using something like the Aperture program or use a PC.
post #8278 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Montero View Post


Break in slides show up as duplicates with one pair that doesn't work. This is keeping me from running them. These are evangelo slides, i tried downloading from different sources and same problem. I've tried an SD card and external hard drive. Both were even formatted to FAT32 and still same problem. WHy are they showing up twice and why is one pair unreadable? Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem when trying to load them to the thumb drive from my Mac. I had to reformat and load them using my wife's PC to avoid the blank files.
post #8279 of 13481
Well, I believe my set has developed the infamous right-side vertical bar/line. It's about 1.5" in from the right side and runs the entire length of the screen. It's a lighter colored line, and is really only visible on the two darkest gray slides. Either I didn't notice it at first, or it has developed during the break-in process. I'm probably at 75 hours or so.

I guess I should wait it out and see if it goes away? Everything else seems OK with the set, except moderate buzzing on the brightest white slide, which is normal from all indications. I don't think it will be noticeable when watching regular content.
post #8280 of 13481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Montero View Post


Break in slides show up as duplicates with one pair that doesn't work. This is keeping me from running them. These are evangelo slides, i tried downloading from different sources and same problem. I've tried an SD card and external hard drive. Both were even formatted to FAT32 and still same problem. WHy are they showing up twice and why is one pair unreadable? Any help would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc753 View Post

I had the same problem when trying to load them to the thumb drive from my Mac. I had to reformat and load them using my wife's PC to avoid the blank files.

I experienced the same duplicate slide issue downloading from my Mac. I finally gave up and turned to continuously running a movie channel in Zoom mode for about a week ( to avoid black bars and logos). Easier said then done because most channels these days display continuos logos on some type of reader board. In my case I was able to access the Starz movie channel via DirecTV. Starz runs movies 24hrs and while it displays a logo it only does so intermittently for 3-5 minutes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread