or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 307

post #9181 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stokes View Post

I need some advice concerning my new 65VT50. It was delivered on December 31st and has about 170 hours of use. I have a Buzz that is continues and goes from soft to louder in a rhythmic pattern. On bright screens I can hear it over dialog with average volume settings, as the screen darkens it is much softer. I have another two weeks to return it to BB but in most ways I hate to. The picture is incredibly good and I’m ready to set up a calibration with Chad B. Is what I’m hearing normal? I came from an older Hitachi 1080i rear projector. This is a much better picture in most ways, although I still prefer the basic picture of CRT for the smooth realism of its picture. Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks.
Ken

I have a slight oscillation in noise like you described. Not sure what it is caused by but it comes in goes. My Onkyo TX-NR818 is plugged into the same surge suppressor and although they are supposed to be isolated, I swear it only happens when the receiver is on. I'm not too worried about it.
post #9182 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Excuse the ignorance, but why would the 3d light output numbers be drastcally lower than both day and night settings?

Because of how the 3D disc is mastered and when calibrating 3D (Stereo) using the shutter glasses in front of the meters lens. .

Actually the 8 fl is high, normally its around 5 or 6 fl.

ss
post #9183 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Because of how the 3D disc is mastered and when calibrating 3D (Stereo) using the shutter glasses in front of the meters lens. .

Actually the 8 fl is high, normally its around 5 or 6 fl.

ss

Thanks! Appreciate you posting the norms so its easier to compare the 3d set ups.
post #9184 of 13486
I've only had my TV up for a couple days and my house is anything but silent.

Late at night when I run the slides I can hear a slight buzz on the white screen and maybe on the light grey.

I don't notice anything during normal operation.

My A/V equipment is located about 6-7 feet from the edge of the TV in a cabinet. I have a LONG (45' BJC) HDMI cable.
post #9185 of 13486
I just got a 55VT50, I am going to read brought these forums, but is there a good place to start? Any posts that consolidate some of the main points or anything. I want to get the TV looking as good as possible, not sure where to start with calibrating, and if I need to use the TV for a certain period before doing it. And want to learn about the various features and whatever else I need to know. But, man this thread is long:).
Edited by jjk454ss - 1/13/13 at 12:42pm
post #9186 of 13486
I don't think you need to do a serious calibration for at least 100 hours of use.
post #9187 of 13486
Hey,
I just got my vt50 in, and was wondering whats the best way to break it in?
Any disks or programs I should run?
This is the first tv I'm doing this to, so I have no idea where to start.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #9188 of 13486
just watch it.wink.gif
post #9189 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

I don't think you need to do a serious calibration for at least 100 hours of use.

Thanks.

I know it's hard to know how dark someone is talking about, but is in normal that the "Standard" video setting is so dark? It's way, way darker than any of the others. And I assume even during the "break-in" period it's fine to always run it on a bright setting if that's what I like?
post #9190 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post

Thanks.

I know it's hard to know how dark someone is talking about, but is in normal that the "Standard" video setting is so dark? It's way, way darker than any of the others. And I assume even during the "break-in" period it's fine to always run it on a bright setting if that's what I like?
Any setting will be fine but the thx cinema and thx bright will give the most accurate picture
post #9191 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post

Thanks.

I know it's hard to know how dark someone is talking about, but is in normal that the "Standard" video setting is so dark? It's way, way darker than any of the others. And I assume even during the "break-in" period it's fine to always run it on a bright setting if that's what I like?

It is normal for Standard to be so dark, making it essentially useless. This was Panasonic's workaround for the default setting to meet energy requirements.
post #9192 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

It is normal for Standard to be so dark, making it essentially useless. This was Panasonic's workaround for the default setting to meet energy requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss10zidane View Post

Any setting will be fine but the thx cinema and thx bright will give the most accurate picture

Thanks, it seemed strange how dark it was. And I hated to put it too bright right away if it would cause any issues. Thanks again. It's great to have a place like this to come for quick help.
post #9193 of 13486
Thanks much, just received my 65VT50 yesterday and was not liking the low brightness level so changed it to thx bright and much better!
post #9194 of 13486
Received my 65vt50 Last friday from Paul's, There's a buzz sound in bright colors when i ran the slides. I got a Sept 2012 batch. Buzz sound doesnt bother me much when the sound system is playing. I love the picture of this tv, even my wife loves it. Im thankful i did not get the sharp 70" lol. For those guys ordered from Pauls did you guys bought an additional warranty? If yes where?

Thanks
post #9195 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

ChadB was out a week ago today to calibrate my 65VT50 and I completely agree with other reviews of his work.
Thanks for your calibration report. I've included a link to it in the flat panel (post#2) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.
post #9196 of 13486
Running color slides on my new 55VT50 (December 2012 build) for about 24 hours now. I do notice a slight 2" wide vertical band on the right side of the screen especially when green, red, and darker grayscale colors are on the panel. This band appears to be a couple shades darker than the rest of the panel. Should I stop now and return the TV or let the 100 hour procedure run its course and put it in the living room when that is done?

Thanks.
Edited by Todd G. - 1/13/13 at 7:15pm
post #9197 of 13486
I just purchased a 65 inch VT50 from adoramm for 2499.00 including tax and shipping. I tried Best Buy to match it but they simply wouldn't, stating that it was below their cost. Anyhow, I am so excited. The TV should being coming in within a week. I have been reading all the rave reviews and cant wait for it to arrive. However I am also scared about the issues that people are how I should properly take care of the set. I am replacing my 50 inch GT10 that I have never had any issues with. I did not break the set in or calibrate it. However, I do not want to miss out the obtaining the best picture possible. How important is it to run the slides for 100 hours? Can I calibrate the TV my self? HELPPPP Please!
post #9198 of 13486

Had my VT50 since August. Thought everything was normal and then got the WOW disc and noticed very very slight greenish areas especially on the right side on an all white slide. I do not see in normal content unless I look for it during an all white background commercial. Is this something that will go away or normal condition?
post #9199 of 13486
Quick question about the viera link app
I've used it before, and tried out cool things with it, but tonight it won't connect
Are there some setting I need to triple check, or any other ideas?
All my phone app gives me is demo mode, and when I check on TV, it says dnla not found.

Any help?
Edited by billmich - 1/14/13 at 5:14am
post #9200 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan338 View Post

Received my 65vt50 Last friday from Paul's, There's a buzz sound in bright colors when i ran the slides. I got a Sept 2012 batch. Buzz sound doesnt bother me much when the sound system is playing. I love the picture of this tv, even my wife loves it. Im thankful i did not get the sharp 70" lol. For those guys ordered from Pauls did you guys bought an additional warranty? If yes where?

Thanks

After I registered my TV on Panasonics website they offer you a 3 year extended warranty through squaretrade for $159 thats def the best price I've seen for a warranty and they are the official partner of Panasonic for warranties. So I'm going to do that, I think they also had 4 years for $200.
post #9201 of 13486
Never mind found it..
Edited by bryan338 - 1/13/13 at 11:11pm
post #9202 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Curious as to where you found a D-Nice setting with Contrast at 36? I've never seen anyone run Constrast nearly that low.

His posted VT30 Reference settings have Contrast at 72 and Brightness at 55 in Custom mode with Panel Brightness set to Mid.
i misread and mis posted. My color is at 36. I apologize.
post #9203 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannydipan View Post

Anyhow, I am so excited. The TV should being coming in within a week. I have been reading all the rave reviews and cant wait for it to arrive. However I am also scared about the issues that people are how I should properly take care of the set. I am replacing my 50 inch GT10 that I have never had any issues with. I did not break the set in or calibrate it. However, I do not want to miss out the obtaining the best picture possible. How important is it to run the slides for 100 hours? Can I calibrate the TV my self? HELPPPP Please!

Don't worry about it, 85% of the problems folks report are not really problems with the VT50. Just be careful with IR and after that its all good.
Slides are not really necessary, the only reason to use slides are if you are having a calibration done within a few weeks of getting your TV.
All you need to do is very full screen video without a lot of time spent on video with static images. imo I would rather use my new VT50 this way, rather than viewing paint drying (slides).

Yes you can become a DIY calibrator and end up with PQ that is best for your likes and dislikes, imo better than any pro calibrator can do, doing a normal ISF calibration.
But don't think that its easy and cheap, you simply are not going to get that good of results using just a calibration disc, like the WOW disc. You would need calibration software, a good meter, and learn how to use it. However even with this type of normal calibration you probably still will not best a really good pro, to do that you would need to add hardware like a Lumagen Mini 3D.

ss
post #9204 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Quick viera link dnla question( which I know everyone here says is a bad interface)

Sending pictures to my TV via my iPhone, I can rotate the pictures around using my remote
Videos I send always seem to be sideways with no way to adjust (that I know of)
Any help here

Or does anyone know how to edit a video in my iPhone an rotate and then I save it so it correct
Thanks in advance
Bill
Any help on this?
post #9205 of 13486
I just got the 65" VT50 last week and ran the 100 hour break-in slides. After getting everything setup for the first time last night I tried out some blu-rays and noticed there was a slight lag between the audio and video. This is for 2D content (haven't tried 3D and probably won't). The audio was just slightly ahead of the video. I'm replacing a 2006 Samsung DLP and never noticed this audio/video difference. The TV is the only new thing in the setup. My setup is as follows:

Oppo BDP-103 HDMI 1 output to Panasonic 65VT50 HDMI 1 Input for video
Oppo BDP-103 HDMI 2 output to Pioneer VSX-1017TXV-K receiver for audio

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or know what settings might cause this? It's just enough difference to be annoying. I'll have to try it with broadcast TV some more to see if I notice it, but in the little that I watched I can't say I noticed it. With the video output from the blu-ray player going straight to the TV I'm surprised the video is lagging behind the audio. Like I said, I never noticed this problem with my old TV and I was using the same wiring setup.
post #9206 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post

I just got the 65" VT50 last week and ran the 100 hour break-in slides. After getting everything setup for the first time last night I tried out some blu-rays and noticed there was a slight lag between the audio and video. This is for 2D content (haven't tried 3D and probably won't). The audio was just slightly ahead of the video. I'm replacing a 2006 Samsung DLP and never noticed this audio/video difference. The TV is the only new thing in the setup. My setup is as follows:

Oppo BDP-103 HDMI 1 output to Panasonic 65VT50 HDMI 1 Input for video
Oppo BDP-103 HDMI 2 output to Pioneer VSX-1017TXV-K receiver for audio

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or know what settings might cause this? It's just enough difference to be annoying. I'll have to try it with broadcast TV some more to see if I notice it, but in the little that I watched I can't say I noticed it. With the video output from the blu-ray player going straight to the TV I'm surprised the video is lagging behind the audio. Like I said, I never noticed this problem with my old TV and I was using the same wiring setup.

First, congratulations on the nice new tv smile.gif

About the input lag (or lipsynch). I know if you disable all the motion processing and use 1080p direct input the input lag is non-existent (or not distinguishable). However, if you do enjoy having the motion smoother on etc you'll have to use your AVR's lipsynch feature or set the audio delay manually to synch the sound up.

edit: failed to explain, the lag you noticed is due to all the video processing that these new tv's do. When sound goes direct to them they account for the synch issues internally, but when you split sound and video like you and the rest of us you have to use the AVR features to synch it or disable as much processing on the tv side as possible to mitigate the lag.
post #9207 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Any help on this?

Bill, i think you'd be better served asking this question on a board that deals with iPhone issues. Not trying to dump on you, but you'll have a larger pool of people that can help with this iPhone specific question. Best of luck.
post #9208 of 13486
Was more asking if there is anything that can be done within the TV,
I actually downloaded a n app that can rotate video, but even after saving in all 4 orientations, the one orientation I was looking for didnt work..lol
No offense taken, and thank you for taking the time....
post #9209 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post

I just got the 65" VT50 last week and ran the 100 hour break-in slides. After getting everything setup for the first time last night I tried out some blu-rays and noticed there was a slight lag between the audio and video. This is for 2D content (haven't tried 3D and probably won't). The audio was just slightly ahead of the video. I'm replacing a 2006 Samsung DLP and never noticed this audio/video difference. The TV is the only new thing in the setup. My setup is as follows:

Oppo BDP-103 HDMI 1 output to Panasonic 65VT50 HDMI 1 Input for video
Oppo BDP-103 HDMI 2 output to Pioneer VSX-1017TXV-K receiver for audio

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or know what settings might cause this? It's just enough difference to be annoying. I'll have to try it with broadcast TV some more to see if I notice it, but in the little that I watched I can't say I noticed it. With the video output from the blu-ray player going straight to the TV I'm surprised the video is lagging behind the audio. Like I said, I never noticed this problem with my old TV and I was using the same wiring setup.

First, congratulations on the nice new tv smile.gif

About the input lag (or lipsynch). I know if you disable all the motion processing and use 1080p direct input the input lag is non-existent (or not distinguishable). However, if you do enjoy having the motion smoother on etc you'll have to use your AVR's lipsynch feature or set the audio delay manually to synch the sound up.

edit: failed to explain, the lag you noticed is due to all the video processing that these new tv's do. When sound goes direct to them they account for the synch issues internally, but when you split sound and video like you and the rest of us you have to use the AVR features to synch it or disable as much processing on the tv side as possible to mitigate the lag.

Thank you for the reply. I'll look into setting an audio delay in the receiver. I thought I tried it without the motion smoothing stuff on and it was still apparent, but I'll try it again. I'm not a huge fan of the motion smoothing, but set to low it makes some things nicer. I also had the 1080p direct input turned on too as you suggested. I'm very excited about watching movies on this great TV (already input some ISF settings using ControlCAL), so if I can get the audio synced up it would be perfect.
post #9210 of 13486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post

I also had the 1080p direct input turned on too as you suggested.

Is this a setting on the VT50?

Thanks
B
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread