or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Should I buy this display model?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I buy this display model?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
It's a Panasonic TC-P46ST30 at Target for 499.98. This is the exact model I've had my heart set on getting for some time, so I was tempted, but I want to be cautious, considering this will be the biggest purchase I've ever made. (I'm only 14) Here's what I know:
-The TV is in great aesthetic condition, no scratches or anything, only imperfection I could see was a sticker mark.
-An employee says it's been there AT LEAST since he started working there, about 5 months.

Fyi if I buy this I will be using it solely for HDMI gaming, and the normal display model price is about 1,000. Please give me honest and informative answers. Thank you.
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackingvoltage View Post

It's a Panasonic TC-P46ST30 at Target for 499.98. This is the exact model I've had my heart set on getting for some time, so I was tempted, but I want to be cautious, considering this will be the biggest purchase I've ever made. (I'm only 14) Here's what I know:
-The TV is in great aesthetic condition, no scratches or anything, only imperfection I could see was a sticker mark.
-An employee says it's been there AT LEAST since he started working there, about 5 months.

Fyi if I buy this I will be using it solely for HDMI gaming, and the normal display model price is about 1,000. Please give me honest and informative answers. Thank you.

Well IMO, yes and no. The only reason I would say no is because Walmart has a Panny 51" brand new for $599, granted it's only 720p. If the one at Target is 1080p and if this resolution will matter with your gaming then don't buy the Walmart one.

The reason I would say yes is because even if you buy the demo from Target you will still have a 1 year P&L warranty so you can't really lose if you're getting it for half price although I believe this is last year's model. Just make sure there's no screen burn-in or permanent image retention on the screen and you get a good remote in working condition.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Well IMO, yes and no. The only reason I would say no is because Walmart has a Panny 51" brand new for $599, granted it's only 720p. If the one at Target is 1080p and if this resolution will matter with your gaming then don't buy the Walmart one.

The reason I would say yes is because even if you buy the demo from Target you will still have a 1 year P&L warranty so you can't really lose if you're getting it for half price although I believe this is last year's model. Just make sure there's no screen burn-in or permanent image retention on the screen and you get a good remote in working condition.

I forgot to mention, the guy said there are NO returns for this.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackingvoltage View Post

It's a Panasonic TC-P46ST30 at Target for 499.98. This is the exact model I've had my heart set on getting for some time, so I was tempted, but I want to be cautious, considering this will be the biggest purchase I've ever made. (I'm only 14) Here's what I know:
-The TV is in great aesthetic condition, no scratches or anything, only imperfection I could see was a sticker mark.
-An employee says it's been there AT LEAST since he started working there, about 5 months.

Fyi if I buy this I will be using it solely for HDMI gaming, and the normal display model price is about 1,000. Please give me honest and informative answers. Thank you.

My Target in Manhattan Beach has the 46" ST30 on clearance for that same price and the clerk said they're new - not display models. Check some other stores and see if they have any new ones for that price. Amazon has it for twice that amount.

The 46" (and 42") ST30 is the best sub-50" Plasma ever made so even if you can only get a floor model, that's still a good deal since it's less than half the price that Amazon has for the same TV right now.
post #5 of 10
Just make sure the warranty is valid for a full year from the time you buy it.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post

Just make sure the warranty is valid for a full year from the time you buy it.

It's always valid for the full year from date of purchase even when the TV is an old floor model or a customer return. Just keep that receipt !!
post #7 of 10
I have had a 46in 60hz lcd for years and hated the motion blur decided to get a Plasma due to the raving about blur free gaming etc. I just got a 60st30 last week for gaming and 3D movies but so far am unhappy with gaming. Getting alot of motion blur or something similar and only gets worse with motion smoother not sure if the st30 is great for gaming. Maybe I have a bad set but doubtful. To me its almost worse than the lcd blur because its like its clear and blurry at the same time during movement. I'm praying its something that will get better with panel age 100+ hrs in and no improvement yet.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtylerx View Post

I have had a 46in 60hz lcd for years and hated the motion blur decided to get a Plasma due to the raving about blur free gaming etc. I just got a 60st30 last week for gaming and 3D movies but so far am unhappy with gaming. Getting alot of motion blur or something similar and only gets worse with motion smoother not sure if the st30 is great for gaming. Maybe I have a bad set but doubtful. To me its almost worse than the lcd blur because its like its clear and blurry at the same time during movement. I'm praying its something that will get better with panel age 100+ hrs in and no improvement yet.

It's "clear and blurry at the same time"? Could you explain more, please?

One of the things that i notice bother a lot of people I know coming from LCD is the purity of the motion on a plasma-- because of the way plasmas display motion the set can appear almost 'hitchy', especially when playing games at 30fps. It's possible you just need to give yourself time to adjust. I'll tell you that I have an S30 (basically a de-contented ST30 with a bit better motion resolution) and it's a fantastic gaming display!
post #9 of 10
My brother got the display 46" st30 at our Target for a little over $300. He asked about it and the guy said he'd knock another 40% off since it was the display.

Downside? No "foot" so he had to buy a stand with a mounting rack. Luckily he needed a stand anyway.

I say try to talk 'em down.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackingvoltage View Post

It's a Panasonic TC-P46ST30 at Target for 499.98. This is the exact model I've had my heart set on getting for some time, so I was tempted, but I want to be cautious, considering this will be the biggest purchase I've ever made. (I'm only 14) Here's what I know:
-The TV is in great aesthetic condition, no scratches or anything, only imperfection I could see was a sticker mark.
-An employee says it's been there AT LEAST since he started working there, about 5 months.

Fyi if I buy this I will be using it solely for HDMI gaming, and the normal display model price is about 1,000. Please give me honest and informative answers. Thank you.

I've brought floor models before with no problems. If you buying it from Target then you should get the standard manufacture warranty unless it's stated otherwise, just be sure to ask the sales person who rings you up whether or not the unit is covered by the manufactures warranty, it should be and make sure to register the unit online at the manufacture's web site. You also want to inspect the unit physically before you buy it and note any deformities and cosmetic damage if any, that there might be if your going to have it delivered and note it so that when it arrives and you inspect it again BEFORE you accept and sign for it, it is in the exact condition that you noted in the store.

Also you might want to consider an extended warranty for the unit, it isn't necessary but if you plan to keep the unit for anytime over the manufacture warranty period, it might be a good idea to protect yourself from the unit dying on you one day after the manufacturer warranty expires after all, you don't know who has handled the unit before you brought it since it was out of the box it shipped in from the factory and has been on display for some time in the store, could have been bumped even dropped and still show no signs of physical damage and if you had an extended warranty and had to use it, the extended warranty company can only assume that you brought the unit brand new in the box and would have to furnish you with a brand new replacement unit if the unit cost to much to fix, sometimes it is better and cheaper for them to just furnish you with a brand new replacement, maybe even a better one than you originally brought. Food for thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Should I buy this display model?