or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › TC-P65VT30 or TC-P65ST50
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TC-P65VT30 or TC-P65ST50

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
So, the two top contenders for my purchase (TONIGHT!) are VT30 2011 model or a ST50 2012 model...

I've done my searching and lots of recommendations to get the ST vs. the VT...I noticed the VT is 52lbs (!) heavier than the ST... Does the ST not have a glass front? Thats about all I can think that would make up that much weight...

It's hard to compare specs between these two models as Panasonic seems to have blanked out the specs on their comparison tool.. I noticed the ST has additional gradation levels (2x)... Are there things on the VT that I might be yearning for if I go with the ST? It'd be in a basement where the light levels are generally low (if lights are out) and would be used for movies and gaming primarily. Viewing distance is about 12 feet.

Is there much difference in black levels between these two sets? ie: I think the VT30 vs. GT30/ST30 had better black levels, were those just carried over to the new ST models and hence would be essentially the same?

Such a hard decision here.. Any input anyone can provide would be appreciated...

Oh and one other plus on the ST for me is the support for MKV (and other) files but I could just use an external blu-ray player for that so it's not a deal-breaker, image quality is more important since it'll be more of a monitor than anything...

Thanks for your input, please go easy on me, I'm a nervous wreck right now pulling my hair out....
post #2 of 41
I've owned a vt30 and I've seen the st50 in store many times, get the vt50 its better in so many ways, brighter, better colors,less input lag, 2500hz, better blacks/filter, the list goes on. I'm going for the p65vt50, the waiting killing me!!!
post #3 of 41
I would go with the ST50.
post #4 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

I've owned a vt30 and I've seen the st50 in store many times, get the vt50 its better in so many ways, brighter, better colors,less input lag, 2500hz, better blacks/filter, the list goes on. I'm going for the p65vt50, the waiting killing me!!!

VT50 65" isn't available and is out of budget. I'm leaning towards the ST50 so far, it's sitting in my cart and about to hit the 'BUY' button...

The bluetooth vs. IR 3D glasses is another plus for me since I have a speaker right in front of the set and would have to lift the TV up higher which isn't really a good idea where it's at, might be up too high then...
post #5 of 41
Hit the buy button!!!! The only thing your missing out with with the vt is one sheet of glass and hdmi input, and some calibration controls...hit the button.
post #6 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

Hit the buy botton!!!! The only thing your missing out with with the vt is one sheet of glass and hdmi input, and some calibration controls...hit the botton.

Done! The glass is kinda nice, have kids that like to touch the screen and glass is a bit easier to clean/protect but this one is high'nuff that it shouldn't be too much of an issue...
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirlen View Post

Done! The glass is kinda nice, have kids that like to touch the screen and glass is a bit easier to clean/protect but this one is high'nuff that it shouldn't be too much of an issue...

Well I'm guess I'm too late and you've already made up your mind but I just like to know one thing, why did you as well as some others on this forum completely dismiss the GT50? It's the perfect balance between the VT series and the ST series. It has a lot of the VT features without breaking the bank. I keep seeing many threads of "VT or ST?" and people completely ignore that there ever was a GT.
post #8 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Well I'm guess I'm too late and you've already made up your mind but I just like to know one thing, why did you as well as some others on this forum completely dismiss the GT50? It's the perfect balance between the VT series and the ST series. It has a lot of the VT features without breaking the bank. I keep seeing many threads of "VT or ST?" and people completely ignore that there ever was a GT.

GT is out of budget, budget was about 2500.
post #9 of 41
Good choice, I've gone to see the st50 like 6 times in store and its an amazing set, I sold my vt30 to get the st50 but the wife said I could get what ever I wanted so I had to go with the p65vt50.
post #10 of 41
the vt 30 has my vote!
post #11 of 41
Im in the same spot, dont know which to choose, and no stores have both models on display to compare. Has their been any major technology spec changes that make the new st50 the clear winner over last years flagship model?
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 View Post

Im in the same spot, dont know which to choose, and no stores have both models on display to compare. Has their been any major technology spec changes that make the new st50 the clear winner over last years flagship model?

I was in a premium electronics store yesterday and they had the a 50ST50 and a 55VT30 on display. Both were on vivid mode and the black levels on the VT30 absolutely trumped the ST50 hands down. I can tell you there was no contest. The ST50 looked amazing of course but it can't compete with the VT30. The only thing I didn't care for personally was the VT30's bezel was much bigger giving the TV a false appearance of a much larger TV. In terms of bezel thinness the ST50 wins.
post #13 of 41
in the same boat. i think i'm gonna go with the ST50. always tend to go towards the newer.
post #14 of 41
To those who voted for the VT30 over the ST50, why? Is there something that VT30 has to justify that choice?
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

I was in a premium electronics store yesterday and they had the a 50ST50 and a 55VT30 on display. Both were on vivid mode and the black levels on the VT30 absolutely trumped the ST50 hands down. I can tell you there was no contest. The ST50 looked amazing of course but it can't compete with the VT30. The only thing I didn't care for personally was the VT30's bezel was much bigger giving the TV a false appearance of a much larger TV. In terms of bezel thinness the ST50 wins.

Even though i havent seen them in person like you have, thats one of the reasons i am leaning towards the VT30. I would think it would be a better quality tv then the ST50 since its one of 2011's best plasmas and panny's flagship model. It would seem strange if the lowest model of 2012 would be better if no major technological advancements have been made to the plasma tv world. Just my opinion.
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

I was in a premium electronics store yesterday and they had the a 50ST50 and a 55VT30 on display. Both were on vivid mode and the black levels on the VT30 absolutely trumped the ST50 hands down. I can tell you there was no contest. The ST50 looked amazing of course but it can't compete with the VT30. The only thing I didn't care for personally was the VT30's bezel was much bigger giving the TV a false appearance of a much larger TV. In terms of bezel thinness the ST50 wins.



Fact st50 blacks are better then vt30 but not by much. Might have been the setting or the lighting.
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

Fact st50 blacks are better then vt30 but not by much. Might have been the setting or the lighting.

Nope, I mentioned earlier that both sets were on vivid and the lighting was equal as this was a premium store like Magnolia using the same type of dark room evenly lit on all TV's. The VT30 was definitely without a doubt much richer in black level. What fact do you have to prove otherwise? I haven't done any research I'm just going by what I saw.
post #18 of 41
Is no one going to mention how bad IR is on the VT30?
post #19 of 41
There's no reason to get the VT30 unless you prefer that styling for whatever reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Nope, I mentioned earlier that both sets were on vivid and the lighting was equal as this was a premium store like Magnolia using the same type of dark room evenly lit on all TV's. The VT30 was definitely without a doubt much richer in black level. What fact do you have to prove otherwise? I haven't done any research I'm just going by what I saw.

Adam is right. Measurements/numbers don't lie... the ST50 has slightly better blacks and more dynamic range thanks to the increased brightness. Plus the ST50 has better color, is more efficient, and better styling IMHO.
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Nope, I mentioned earlier that both sets were on vivid and the lighting was equal as this was a premium store like Magnolia using the same type of dark room evenly lit on all TV's. The VT30 was definitely without a doubt much richer in black level. What fact do you have to prove otherwise? I haven't done any research I'm just going by what I saw.

D-Nice measured the 50ST50's Black Level and got 0.0028fL. At the VE Shootout, the 65VT30 measured .0034fL which isn't as black as the ST50's measurement. And the larger screen sizes tend to measure even deeper blacks so a larger 65ST50 will have even better blacks than the smaller one D-Nice tested. And he also said that the ST50's luminance is superior to that of the VT30 too.

You can't have Panasonic TVs in Vivid mode and compare their black levels. What you saw in that store, under bright lighting, in the most horrific looking picture mode known to man, has no basis in reality and doesn't reflect real world performance in a home, with a proper picture mode and proper settings.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

There's no reason to get the VT30 unless you prefer that styling for whatever reason.

Adam is right. Measurements/numbers don't lie... the ST50 has slightly better blacks and more dynamic range thanks to the increased brightness. Plus the ST50 has better color, is more efficient, and better styling IMHO.

I see, so I guess numbers tell the truth more than the human eye. Gotcha.
post #22 of 41
If you're convinced the VT30 is better than the ST50 because of some in-store demo with who knows what variables, knock yourself out and buy one.

Don't get in a tiff though when people provide data from reliable sources explaining the differences between the two sets, and why it's likely that the ST50 will provide a better picture.
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

I see, so I guess numbers tell the truth more than the human eye. Gotcha.

I sense your sarcasm... just can't admit you're wrong, huh?

As a matter of fact... yes, a meter can measure light FAR more accurately than the human eye can. If your methods of judging black levels is viewing the sets in a store in VIVID mode, then by all means. For me, I'll listen to what a meter says that can accurately measure light down to 0.0003fL (or possibly lower) and can tell the difference between 0.0003fL and 0.0004fL. Can your eyes do that?

if that wasn't sarcasm, I apologize.
post #24 of 41
Same boat here.

I'll be back in the UK in four weeks and after having sold my 58 Sammy down here in Oz, I'll be looking for a new TV.

The bank manager (wife) has seen the old 65VT30 ad 64E8000 down here in OZ and has given the approval on a 65incher - not keen on the Sharp 70 inch LCD pricing.....

So my question is the same, we can buy a 65VT30 online in the UK (still some left) for 2,575 GBP: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX...296721&sr=1-16
or wait for the 65ST50 to come out at similar money. 65VT50 out of the question, as per Sharp pricing.

So should I go with tried and test VT30 technology or go for the all new ST50technology with slightly less picture adjustments.

TV will be set up in bright room with heavy curtains, so effectively light controlled, I would get TV calibrated with Day and Night settings. 30/70 SD,HD viewing.

Thanks
post #25 of 41
Well fortunately for you, the EU ST50 is even better than the NA model, and it's pretty clear in this thread which set is better between the ST50 and VT30. There are even fewer reasons to even get the VT50 over the ST50 where you are. The ST50 has a CMS but still only a 2pt grayscale.

Something you might want to consider is that the ST50 doesn't have true day and night modes. Not sure about the EU model, but in the NA model, custom mode provides the best adjustability and will work well for Day mode, and Cinema mode is an option for Night mode. The GT50 has THX bright and THX cinema.
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

D-Nice measured the 50ST50's Black Level and got 0.0028fL. At the VE Shootout, the 65VT30 measured .0034fL which isn't as black as the ST50's measurement. And the larger screen sizes tend to measure even deeper blacks so a larger 65ST50 will have even better blacks than the smaller one D-Nice tested. And he also said that the ST50's luminance is superior to that of the VT30 too.

You can't have Panasonic TVs in Vivid mode and compare their black levels. What you saw in that store, under bright lighting, in the most horrific looking picture mode known to man, has no basis in reality and doesn't reflect real world performance in a home, with a proper picture mode and proper settings.

backup Randy post

LOL at all VT30 owners
Told you so ..
Its less expensive to just wait and sell your previous model year i.e. ST series and just keep upgrading to a new ST or GT depending on sale prices instead of buying a VT. The only respect i have for a VT set is the 72hz option for blu-ray and spectra cal software to calibrate it with. I mean other then that the VT series is way overpriced, if you do get it, i would not upgrade for 2 years. Just spend the cash and get a 65VT50
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Well fortunately for you, the EU ST50 is even better than the NA model, and it's pretty clear in this thread which set is better between the ST50 and VT30. There are even fewer reasons to even get the VT50 over the ST50 where you are. The ST50 has a CMS but still only a 2pt grayscale.

Something you might want to consider is that the ST50 doesn't have true day and night modes. Not sure about the EU model, but in the NA model, custom mode provides the best adjustability and will work well for Day mode, and Cinema mode is an option for Night mode. The GT50 has THX bright and THX cinema.

Maybe not, the 65ST50 is on Amazon for £3,400 as against a 65VT30 for £2,400 from a Panasonic supplier in London. Can't justify another £1,000 for the ST50....
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandee View Post

Maybe not, the 65ST50 is on Amazon for £3,400 as against a 65VT30 for £2,400 from a Panasonic supplier in London. Can't justify another £1,000 for the ST50....

That is because it was just released. I would not even consider spending 1900-2k on a 60ST50. History shows it will drop to 1200-1400 by september.
I will put my 60ST30 on sale for 800 and only spend 500-600 on a upgrade and have a better tv then the VT30. I guess its harder to find deals in london online. Why by or invest into a tv that will be 2 years old in 6-8 months. You wont get crap for it when you go to sell., no one will want it. Spend the extra cash get the 65VT 50 and then sell it in 2 years.
I dont see why anyone would go with the VT50 unless you use spectracal and 72hz anyway or spend a ton load on a professional calibrator to come out every year to calibrate it.

Personally id wait 60ST50 will come down like the ST30 did around labor day.
post #29 of 41
I'm torn too. I can get a 65ST30 for the same price as I can the 55ST50. My room is not all that bright, no direct sunlight will be hitting it, plus, I'm going to mount it on a full swivel mount. My room isn't DARK, but it's definitely not "bright".

I'm pleased as punch with my 30" Wide Screen Samsung CRT HD TV that is ancient, just too small. So, I'm thinking anything will be an improvement.

I want Plasma because of the viewing angle issue, and will be sitting in a radius of 8-11 ft from it dead center on a sectional. So a 55" is just big enough, but a 65 will be as well.

I saw the ST50 side by side w/ a new Samsung LED at Best Buy, and it did look much darker, but the 3D was oustanding. All of the LED's were brighter, and would be.

I'll be using it to watch HDTV via Comcast, BR Movies, and playing Xbox.

10" same price. What to do!?

I just can't decide!!
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

That is because it was just released. I would not even consider spending 1900-2k on a 60ST50. History shows it will drop to 1200-1400 by september.
I will put my 60ST30 on sale for 800 and only spend 500-600 on a upgrade and have a better tv then the VT30. I guess its harder to find deals in london online. Why by or invest into a tv that will be 2 years old in 6-8 months. You wont get crap for it when you go to sell., no one will want it. Spend the extra cash get the 65VT 50 and then sell it in 2 years.
I dont see why anyone would go with the VT50 unless you use spectracal and 72hz anyway or spend a ton load on a professional calibrator to come out every year to calibrate it.

Personally id wait 60ST50 will come down like the ST30 did around labor day.

Did you mean "Spend the extra cash and get the 65ST? 50? and then sell it in 2 years?" You wrote 65VT 50 but then the next sentence you write that you don't see why anyone would go with a VT50?

It's all very confusing. Some say the ST50 is a great value but has a few shortcomings, some even say its just as good as the GT50, others say the VT50 is the best tv to come out in years so it's worth the premium.

Is the 65VT50 $800 better than the 65ST50 or $200 better than the 65GT50?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › TC-P65VT30 or TC-P65ST50