or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › black wall surrounding screen causes eye strain?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

black wall surrounding screen causes eye strain?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
my "95 carada screen is flush to the top of my 10 ft wall. I put a black curtain on either side of screen and one below it to make my whole wall black surrounding screen thinking it would improve watching experience but I'm getting eye strain now where as before when wall was white I didn't. I find myself squinting on bright scenes. I'm thinking this happens when image goes from dark to bright and my pupil is contracting more than when wall was white? I was thinking of watching again tomorrow night and if eye strain continues removing black curtain from underneath screen and leaving the curtains on both sides leaving wall mostly black with some white unlike previous conditions which were all white or all black.
post #2 of 13
Why, not try reducing brightness of the image?
Reply
Reply
post #3 of 13
A 95" screen 10ft up on the wall? What is your viewing distance? Sounds like you'd be getting neck strain looking up like that.

+1 on recalibrating the PJ after you installed the curtains.
post #4 of 13
To bright and to high.. ditto to the previous posts
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Ceiling is more like 8 ft. sorry. Couch is about 10 ft. from screen. screenshots...
LL
LL
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

Ceiling is more like 8 ft. sorry. Couch is about 10 ft. from screen. screenshots...

Looks nice but why is the screen so high? Looks like the bottom of the screen is roughly half way up the wall, I bet the brightness along with the viewing angle is causing the eyestrain. Probably wasn't as bad before because of the extra "light" coming into the lower portion of the eye while looking upwards at the screen.

Bill
post #7 of 13
looks like your screen is a bit high....are you running your projector in low lamp (eco) mode? What projector do you have? I have an all black wall and have zero issues from white to black, etc with my JVC RS20. Lower your screen a bit and calibrate your pj, just like everyone else is saying, and see what happens for you then.....
post #8 of 13
Could also be time for a new prescription, if you wear corrective lenses.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Projector is epson 1080p UB running in HD mode which is the third brightest setting. Based on recommendations I'll try theater night setting which is one lamp level less bright. Yes bottom of screen comes down to about midway on wall. I'ts gonna be a hassle to lower it. I wouldn't think high viewing to cause eye strain?
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

Projector is epson 1080p UB running in HD mode which is the third brightest setting. Based on recommendations I'll try theater night setting which is one lamp level less bright. Yes bottom of screen comes down to about midway on wall. I'ts gonna be a hassle to lower it. I wouldn't think high viewing to cause eye strain?

I believe its less stress on the eye to look level or downward. I remember reading/hearing that somewhere in regards to the best position to place a computer monitor in relation to eye position.

Bill
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

I believe its less stress on the eye to look level or downward. I remember reading/hearing that somewhere in regards to the best position to place a computer monitor in relation to eye position.

Bill

Yes, but downward is bad for the neck.
post #12 of 13
My screen is against an entirely black wall, and even black floor and walls (velvet). I get no eye strain, neither do guests. Though it's quite possible some are more susceptible to such things than others.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

My screen is against an entirely black wall, and even black floor and walls (velvet). I get no eye strain, neither do guests. Though it's quite possible some are more susceptible to such things than others.

Same here. 110 inch screen with ok brightness and black hole wall (like R Harkness, not just black but as light absorbing black and only black as possible) and no issues whatsover. I spend about 2-5 hours daily/nightly in the HT room. And I happen to be somewhat susceptible for eye strain; for example certain generation LCD monitors are totally unusable to me; I could not use any of the 1st few generation lightning fast 19 to 22 inch panels around 2005-2007 due to severe eye strain issues.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › black wall surrounding screen causes eye strain?