these models are hitting the streets so here we go!
Professional Reviews with Bench Tests
Home Theater Mag - AVR 1913 Review
Batpig's AVR 2113ci Review
WHAT'S NEW IN THE xx13 MODELS?
For xx13 there aren't any earth shattering feature additions, rather there is a continued "trickle down" of features like front HDMI inputs, networking, etc. to the entry level models. Furthermore, we see the continuing push towards an "all HDMI" environment, as analog input support shrinks a little more and component video has disappeared completely below the 1913 model. If you want to get some detailed analysis of a new xx13 model in use, read through my 2113ci review linked above. This will give you a really good sense of how the unit operates and what practical changes have been made in the new xx13 models.
Like the past two years, the cheapest model (1513) is a "crippled" unit lacking many important features (spring clips instead of speaker binding posts, no Audyssey, no networking, etc) found in the 1613 and higher level models, so we strongly recommend skipping it and going straight to the 1613 model at a minimum. The higher level "CI" models however get some interesting new additions, most notably: the trickle down of dual HDMI inputs, Audyssey DSX, and direct DSD support over HDMI to the 2313ci; the debut of 4k video scaling on all "CI" models; and the addition of "Zone 2 HDMI" output and DenonLink to the 3313ci.
See the descriptions below for the full details on specific feature differences between various models, but here is a summary of the important changes to the xx13 model lineup:
* All models now have a front-panel HDMI input
* All models have GUI that can overlay on HDMI video signals
--- Basic GUI on 1513, 1613, 1713
--- Advanced GUI on 1913 and higher models
--- GUI can ONLY be shown on HDMI output (all models)
* All models have front USB (except 1513)
* Networking now available in ALL models (except 1513) including support for Airplay, Pandora, smartphone control, etc.
--- All Zone 2 models allow fully independent streaming of network audio to Zone 2
--- Previous limitation of AirPlay "hijacking" main zone has been resolved, AirPlay can go to Zone 2 independently (although note that there is an initial "hijack" when AirPlay is initiated; after the AirPlay stream is going you can switch Main Zone to a different source)
--- Spotify coming this summer as firmware upgrade to 1913 and higher models
--- New Denon Remote App Ver 3.0 with XX13 model unique features (click here to see Denon App review with pics)
* Audyssey DSX, dual HDMI outputs, and DSD over HDMI available in 2313ci and above
* The 3313ci model has 3 HDMI outputs - 2 for main zone and one for Zone 2 HDMI matrix output
* All models between 1513 and 2313 no longer have AM radio (they want you to switch to internet radio streams)
* All models no longer have iPod dock input with control port (direct USB connection has rendered it obsolete)
* The lower end models (1513 through 2113ci) have a new shallower chassis (reduction in depth of ~50mm / ~2 in)
Changes to remotes:
--- Remotes are unique to each model (i.e., no extraneous buttons for features only offered on higher model)
--- Remotes (except for 3313ci) no longer control other devices (a good change considering how bad they were at this before!)
--- Remotes add an [INFO] button which calls up current status info (surround mode, input, etc) on the TV screen
--- Remotes add an [OPTION] button (calls up on-the-fly options, mostly for network & USB sources)
--- Remotes no longer have [CH LEVEL] button (see below for more info)
Changes to behavior of channel levels (speaker volumes):
--- [CH LEVEL] button removed from remotes (except for 1513)
--- Global channel levels can adjusted via GUI: Speakers > Manual Setup > Levels
--- Adjusting channel levels via "Levels" menu will reset all channel levels globally for all surround modes
--- Center channel volume can be adjusted for each surround mode using "Dialogue Level" setting in "Audio" menu
--- Subwoofer volume can be adjusted for each surround mode using "Subwoofer Level" setting in "Audio" menu
Other minor notes on changes from xx12 to xx13 models:
* Cosmetic refresh with new glossy fascia and front panel display
* Audyssey mic ACM1HB replaces DM-A409 (1613 and higher); cosmetic changes made only, interchangeable with DM-A409
* GUI menu structure has been reorganized
--- You can now check firmware version in the "Information" section of the GUI (found in the "General" sub-menu)
* "Auto Standby" feature added (so receiver will shut itself down after not receiving an input for a designated amount of time)
* Rhapsody and Napster support removed from networked models menu of services
* HDMI inputs are no longer assignable on non "CI" models (1913 and below), but as there are HDMI inputs for every possible source name (and they can be renamed), this is a moot point. HDMI inputs are assignable on 2113ci, 2313ci and 3313ci.
* The three 5.1 models (1513/1613/1713) no longer have pre-outs for expansion to 7 channels
* Dynamic Volume level settings renamed from "Day/Evening/Midnight" to "Light/Medium/Heavy"
* Restorer modes renamed to "High/Middle/Low" for Modes 1-3 respectively. Ironically this refers to the strength needed to "restore", not the quality of the source, so use "Low" (the default) for high quality sources.
* Stand alone "power indicator light" replaces "power ring indicator"
Edited by batpig - 3/7/13 at 9:16am