or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 53

post #1561 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrix View Post

At this point, is it only the internal source (FM tuner, Network, etc.) that have the problem? The above suggests the external sources are generally working but may still have some issues?
One thing I noticed is the Video-->Output setup menu appears source dependent in that I see a different set of menu options. In my case, I have the i/p Scaler for the Network input set to Analog (the other choice was off). If I set it to off, the TV shows a resolution of 720x480/60i. When I turn it on, with Resolution set to Auto, I see 1920x1080/60p. In my case, I get video output in both modes, so I can do this in front of the unit, but the setup on the web interface shows the same dependency upon input source, so you could change it there with Network selected. I had no problem with either case, but as you noted, the TV is also relevant here.

Yes, only internal sources are having the problem now. For some reason the first time I installed the Mediaplayer and the Blue-Ray I saw it. I think it got fixed once I turned off everything, re-checked cables connection and then started the devices before switching to the mentioned source. It has been working fine since then. However, I can not do anything similar for the internal sources AFAIK unfortunately, e.g. turn on the FM tuner/Network and after that switch to the source screen smile.gif

I haven't really played much with the Video->Output settings because it still feels a bit "intimidating": If I'm watching Cable, and change the video conversion to "Off", the TV image goes away. It doesn't seem to be recognized. Then, I have to use the display to get the settings back to conversion "On" and then the image comes back. This seems strange because if I understand correctly, what this does is to send the image directly from the cable box HDMI output to the TV HDMI input without any conversion process (the way it was used to work before the Denon times). I don't know if this is normal. I haven't dared to turn all devices off and on with the setting "Off", because I don't want to be in a situation where I can't event watch Cable after that. (Still quite newbie in this whole AVR world) biggrin.gif
post #1562 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloSandwich1 View Post

Hi,
I wonder if someone could help me with an mp3 streaming question?
I'm considering buying a 2113 ,to hook up to my PC to play mp3's through.
I've looked in the online manual,and the 2113 supports mp3 playback up to 320kbps,which is what a lot of my mp3 files are.
What I want to do,is use Media Player on the PC to choose which mp3 I want to play,select it on the PC and it streams through the 2113 to play the mp3,instead of using the PC speakers etc.
I don't really want to have to use the 2113 GUI and have the tv on to play mp3's stored on the PC .
I assume this way is possible,and that mp3's up to 320kbps are okay? If I stream an mp3 over the network,how do you set the 2113 to playback in stereo etc, i.e. are you able to set the network streaming like you would set the other inputs up?
If it's not ,my motherboard has an optical out ,I could connect to the 2113 this way maybe?
Apologies is this is a newb question,I've never owned a reciever with network capability before.
Thanks
John.

If I'm reading this correctly, you want to use your PC to play MP3's, this would be a direct audio connection to the AVR since you mentioned that you did not want to use the GUI which would require the use of DLNA, so this would not necessarily be streaming, your just using the PC as an input source using S/PDIF or a RCA (you can use an adapter from the head phone jack on the PC to get full rca outs) connection, not the network connection. With this setup the size, type, and bit rate of the files are not an issue, your AVR is just amplifying sound.

You could also use media player as a DLNA media server, which you could stream to the AVR, but It's darn near impossible to control with out the TV on because of the limited display area on the AVR, using the TV would be more effective for browsing your media. I've not used the IPod or android app, so it maybe something to investigate to see if the app works as a display for dlna, I’m not sue if the app is just and extension of the remote.

Edit: The Denon ipod/phone app does allow you to browse the media server folders, works nicely, espcially if your out on the back porch relaxing with some cold ones.
Edited by dbailey75 - 8/21/12 at 4:45pm
post #1563 of 10468
Thanks,I'll have to get a reciever and see what is easiest to do.
post #1564 of 10468
Update: everything's working correctly. I did nothing to it (tonight, at least) to affect this.

One thing I noticed was that with just my TV and the receiver turned on, and after I chose the Game input, my TV displayed a big "Denon" logo. That was definitely not there last night, either when I was getting no signal or when I was getting just the audio from the PS3.

I'm just going to accept this for what it is and hope that it doesn't revert back to not working!
post #1565 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrix View Post


In post #680, a temperature up to 112F (44C) was reported, but I don't know how much variation is reasonable.

Also, I'd just like to post that after watching a movie using 5.1, my unit, 2113CI measuered with an IR Thermometer was roughly 118F, and this was measured from the top of the unit, I have a built in that has about 4-5 inchies of clearance, also its very deep with maybe 10 inches or more of empty space behind the receive, so its not a cramp area, I was able to get a good measurement through the top vents. The hottest part was just left of center move a little more to the left or right, and it drops to 110F.
post #1566 of 10468
The heat on the left side is most likely a result of the video processor.
post #1567 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiguera View Post

I haven't really played much with the Video->Output settings because it still feels a bit "intimidating": If I'm watching Cable, and change the video conversion to "Off", the TV image goes away. It doesn't seem to be recognized. Then, I have to use the display to get the settings back to conversion "On" and then the image comes back. This seems strange because if I understand correctly, what this does is to send the image directly from the cable box HDMI output to the TV HDMI input without any conversion process (the way it was used to work before the Denon times). I don't know if this is normal. I haven't dared to turn all devices off and on with the setting "Off", because I don't want to be in a situation where I can't event watch Cable after that. (Still quite newbie in this whole AVR world) biggrin.gif

Even if the AVR is passing the HDMI without scaling the video, there are still active electronics in the signal path (i.e., an opportunity for an issue). The FAQ/Setup guide indicates cable boxes can be a particularly finicky HDMI source.

For the no-video with NETWORK selected problem, I was suggesting changing the settings with this selected as it appears settings are source dependent. This is cumbersome without the video out to display the menu on your TV. As an alternative, if the AVR is connected to your home network, you can use a web browser to access the setup menu (just enter the IP address for the Denon in the browser address line).
post #1568 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrix View Post

Even if the AVR is passing the HDMI without scaling the video, there are still active electronics in the signal path (i.e., an opportunity for an issue). The FAQ/Setup guide indicates cable boxes can be a particularly finicky HDMI source.
For the no-video with NETWORK selected problem, I was suggesting changing the settings with this selected as it appears settings are source dependent. This is cumbersome without the video out to display the menu on your TV. As an alternative, if the AVR is connected to your home network, you can use a web browser to access the setup menu (just enter the IP address for the Denon in the browser address line).

Thanks BBrix. I played around again last night with the settings. Did as you suggest using the Web control to change video settings on internal sources, but FM for instance doesn't have any video output options, so no way to modify it (I don't know if this is consistent with the GUI on the TV as I don't have video for that source).

One thing I noticed, not sure if it was related, but I activated HDMI Control and Anynet+ on the TV (Samsung) and at that time I saw the video was back for internal sources. I don't know if it was related (as the problem seems to fix randomly when disconnecting the AVR, checking and re-connecting the cables and re-connecting the AVR) but I disabled the HDMI Control because it didn't work as I wanted (the issue is described in the FAQ about ARC for Samsung TVs). Then the problem was back (ofc mad.gif )

I'm quite frustrated now with this issue that doesn't show a consistent behavior. I'll buy a new HDMI cable today and will give it a try again tonight (this is fricking time consuming eek.gif ). My plan is to connect only the TV with the new cable (with no inputs connected, digital nor analog) and see what happens with those sources. Assuming it works I will connect the other sources one by one.

If this doesn't help I think I might be in trouble. As mentioned before, I'm in Colombia and am not sure if the dealer will have enough knowledge to fix this frown.gif so it could take some more time than I'd like.
post #1569 of 10468
do i need an optical cable to get sound out to my speakers from my tv? can't i use HDMI ARC? for some reason it doesnt work. my tv: panasonic 50st50, my reciever: 1713
post #1570 of 10468
It seems the issue went away. Apparently what made it was to activate the HDMI Control. I bought a new cable (one of those expensive HDMI High speed, 4K with Ethernet) and installed it without success. Without any input connected the video for FM/Network/iPod didn't show up. Frustrated! frown.gif Then I remember in one of all my tries, with the HDMI control "On", the video had worked, so I went ahead and activated it..... and Voila! video for those sources appeared again. Strange but true!. Hopefully I'm not rushing to say this solution works, as I did once before, but at least it has being working already for a couple of hours without any issue.

One thing to note is that I didn't need to activate the HDMI-CEC functionality in the TV as I don't really want it. Only was necessary on the AVR.

Anyway, for future reference my AVR is the 1913 and my TV is a Samsung LN40B630N1F. In case this replicates to others here.
post #1571 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisyuri View Post

do i need an optical cable to get sound out to my speakers from my tv? can't i use HDMI ARC? for some reason it doesnt work. my tv: panasonic 50st50, my reciever: 1713

My TV (Samsung) has an option to use the TV speakers or external speakers. I had to set it to "external" in order to get sound through the receiver. I don't know if Panasonic has the same option, though. Have you checked?
post #1572 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiguera View Post

My TV (Samsung) has an option to use the TV speakers or external speakers. I had to set it to "external" in order to get sound through the receiver. I don't know if Panasonic has the same option, though. Have you checked?

yes, i set it to that. but in the reciever settings there is no option for HDMI sound for the tv, only coaxial or optical... :S
post #1573 of 10468
post #1574 of 10468
Hi,
I'm very interested in the new XX33 line-up as a possible replacement for my ancient AVR-2105. As a result i am spending days and nights scouring the internet for info on the XX33's. One of the reasons why I joined this forum.

Now, one of the interesting features for me is the Airplay functionality. But here, I get confused. For the live of me I cannot figure out precisely how Denon implemented this feature. Is it only for audio streaming (from an Ipad to the Receiver) or can I also use it to stream video and pictures from the ipad to the receiver???

Any one any idea? Or has practical experience that either video streaming is, or is not possible?
post #1575 of 10468
Welcome to AVS Forum.

"Audio only" as Apple has not licensed the capability for AVRs to stream video; however, by adding an Apple TV you would then be able to stream video to the AVR.
post #1576 of 10468
If you have a Denon receiver and an Android phone or tablet, this might be interesting for you.
The app is for free and without ads.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.compute4you.remotecontrol
post #1577 of 10468
Thanks jdsmoothie,

I feared that much. I was actually hoping to avoid buying an additional media player (already more than happy with my Dune), although XBMC on the apple TV does look sweet. Since the audio streaming part is already covered by a Squeeze box, the airplay on the Denon looses it's value as a selection criteria. Brings me back to comparing specs and choosing between a dedicated AVR or an AVR with some additional functionality (network, streaming etc)...

My local HIFI store actually recommended an Anthem-300/500 (recently introduced in The Netherlands) instead of a Denon. Not making the choice any easier. Although I did notice the Anthem owners subforum here. Might have a look at that too.

Thanks again for your quick reply.
post #1578 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by compute4you View Post

If you have a Denon receiver and an Android phone or tablet, this might be interesting for you.
The app is for free and without ads.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.compute4you.remotecontrol

It would be great if one of you new XX13 owners could compare this app with the new Denon Android app and provide a review here in this thread. Thanks. smile.gif
post #1579 of 10468
I am a AVR-1713 owner, and the reason why I was developing this app was the lack of an app that looks good on my tablets (1280x800). The original Denon app scales the screen and that looks ugly. I also don't like that you can switch to maximum volume by just one click, so I tried to do it like on a real device. Although I did the testing on the 1713 it should work on all Denon receivers with a network connection.
post #1580 of 10468
Thanks! smile.gif I've also posted in the XX12 and 4311CI Owner's threads as well to get some more feedback.
post #1581 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by budtz View Post

Hello all.
As i understand it the 3313 model has denons clock jitter reducer. My question is if this works over hdmi as well as optical and coaxel inputs? i am not interested in the Denon Link HD function as my player does not have it
Based on my perusal of AVR-3313 user manual and conversations with Denon, I believe clock jitter reduction to be integral to Denon Link HD exlusively.
post #1582 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by budtz View Post

Hello all.
As i understand it the 3313 model has denons clock jitter reducer. My question is if this works over hdmi as well as optical and coaxel inputs? i am not interested in the Denon Link HD function as my player does not have it

Yes .. on all digital inputs. Note this is a feature on all 33XXCI and higher models.
post #1583 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes .. on all digital inputs. Note this is a feature on all 33XXCI and higher models.
Really? biggrin.gif

Is this a global Denon feature of AVR-3313?
post #1584 of 10468
Not sure what you mean by "global" feature; however, as I said, it applies to all digital inputs and has been a feature of all 33XX models beginning with the 3310.
post #1585 of 10468
Thx for the replys guys. I also asked denon the same. and they replied:

Hi Jens,

The clock jitter reducer can only be used with Denon Link and not with HDMI.


Thank you,

Technical Support/Custom Install
D+M Group

So i guess the clock jitter reducer is somewhat useless when it cant be used with hdmi and a bluray player. Also it seems unclear how theese to systems work (jitter reducer/denon link) and what the difference is betweeen them. I asked denon but did not get an awanser for this. perhaps no-one really knows what the systems actually do?
post #1586 of 10468
Considering that this feature (separate from Denon Link jitter reducer) is a feature of ALL 33XXCI models, and the 3313CI is the only one that has the Denon Link feature, I would say the CSR got confused on what he was responding to. wink.gif
Edited by jdsmoothie - 8/23/12 at 4:34pm
post #1587 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by budtz View Post

T
So i guess the clock jitter reducer is somewhat useless when it cant be used with hdmi and a bluray player. Also it seems unclear how theese to systems work (jitter reducer/denon link) and what the difference is betweeen them. I asked denon but did not get an awanser for this. perhaps no-one really knows what the systems actually do?

"jitter" is the modern boogeyman of aspiring neurotic audiophiles. Audio companies have addressed this subset of the market with "solutions" for them. Don't ask too many questions or look too closely at the "issue" and the features which have been implemented to "fix" it. If you chose to anyway, your straight jacket is waiting. tongue.gif
post #1588 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by compute4you View Post

I am a AVR-1713 owner, and the reason why I was developing this app was the lack of an app that looks good on my tablets (1280x800). The original Denon app scales the screen and that looks ugly. I also don't like that you can switch to maximum volume by just one click, so I tried to do it like on a real device. Although I did the testing on the 1713 it should work on all Denon receivers with a network connection.

I have had a "play" with the app on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. First impression is that I like the graphics and interface. I only used it to get to my media server and found some bugs. Main bug is that the controls on the second page worked for setting sound profile (cinema, music, game etc.) but I could not go to next or previous track. The MP3 button only showed me music tracks stored in my tablet, not in the folder that I had selected on the network media server that I was playing from. I gather that the idea is to look at the list of MP3s by pressing the MP3 button and select further from there. I would also like to be able to select random on and off, also repeat selections; it needs a button linking to options.

Looking forward to an update.

David
post #1589 of 10468
Thanks for the feedback. As the author is new to AVS and may not be tracking this forum, I would suggest you also forward your findings directly to him via email using the address listed on the download site.
post #1590 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Thanks for the feedback. As the author is new to AVS and may not be tracking this forum, I would suggest you also forward your findings directly to him via email using the address listed on the download site.

Good thinking, have just done so. Cheers,

David smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ