or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 107

post #3181 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdaatx View Post

My 2113 has been ok since purchase about 2 weeks ago. Now on certain parts of movies most notibly action sequences the avr shuts off and the green light starts blinking red. Now I've had 3 other receivers in the past 3 months and I had the same problem with all of them. My speakers are energy rc-70 bi-wired fronts and an energy rc-lcr center channel. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my speakers. Anyone having/had this problem? Suggestions on how to fix?

First disconnect the bi-wire configuration as it adds no benefit. Second, confirm that your speaker wire is cleanly connected at both the AVR and speaker with no stray strands touching another post as that is the most likely culprit in the situation you describe. If you have any in-wall wiring, chances are the wire integrity has been compromised by a nail at some point. Use a multi meter to confirm.
post #3182 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdaniel76 View Post

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure something wasn't misconfigured or defective. The Harmony solves most of the common usage but it is more of an annoyance than anything else since sometimes I like to turn the tv off while just listening to music and when I turn the tv back on the receiver stops working. This never happened with an old receiver I replaced so trying to make sure this one is as good as it gets.

HDMI can be a fickle feature. wink.gif
post #3183 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

First disconnect the bi-wire configuration as it adds no benefit. Second, confirm that your speaker wire is cleanly connected at both the AVR and speaker with no stray strands touching another post as that is the most likely culprit in the situation you describe. If you have any in-wall wiring, chances are the wire integrity has been compromised by a nail at some point. Use a multi meter to confirm.

Thanks for the help I appreciate your assistance.
post #3184 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

No heat problems, as generally only the models with video cards get hotter than just luke warm and there's no video card in the 1613. As long as you've got at least 3-4" clearance above the AVR, you should be fine. An iphone app user will have to respond to the Pandora questions, otherwise the unit itself does have the thumbs up/down capability.

Thank you JDsmoothie! I'm pretty new to all this stuff so I'm wondering why an AV receiver would need a video card? Is that required for features like 1080p, 4k or HDMI up-conversion?
post #3185 of 10468
So here's a tale of woe.
I purchased my 2313 on Oct 1 after EE graciously upgraded me due to being out of stock of the 2312.
Without ever having taken it out of the box (due to waiting for improvements to be made to my den and having the patience of a saint) I come home to find my room flooded and my new in the box receiver soaked.
Oh yeah, to make matters worse my new RC LCR and RC-10's also water logged as well.
I just put a claim in to Amex in order to check to see whether I might be eligible for coverage under their protection plan.
I am very fortunate compared to others who have lost much, much more but I felt it was time to share my little story.
Also, homeowners insurance is not helping and I had flood coverage but only for structure and not contents.
Learn from my mistake and if you're in harms way for any type of calamity then get your contents coverage..!!
post #3186 of 10468
I just purchased a Denon 3313CI receiver. I was all excited to try it out with my brand new Martin Logan ESLs!
Initially everyhting seemed to work fine. I hooked up the TV and was able to see al the control menus and start configuring the receiver.

But once I plugged the ethernet cable to the receiver (to log in to my Pandora account) the receiver started a firmware update and then things turned ugly! Apparently something went wrong with the update and now the receiver is stuck in a mode where it retries to update the Firmware, but never comes out of it. I left it trying the whole night and nothing had changed after 12-13 hours.

I did try a few things that I found on this thread/the owner's manual:
1) Reset the receiver
2) Unplug it for a few minutes and then retry.

Nothing seems to work. On top of that when I connect the TV through a HDMI cable, nothing shows up (as I mentioned earlier it used to work before the receiver went into that weird state).

Please help, if there is anything else I can try on my own. Based on what I read on the owner's anual it seems I might have to go back to the dealer to reprogram the firmware.

I am sure my network connection is up and running, so it's not a network problem.

thanks and happy thankgsgiving
post #3187 of 10468
Quick question ...

I've never had a Denon receiver before, only Yamaha, so do Denon receivers have a "Scene button mode" equivalent?
post #3188 of 10468
My subwoofer stopped working with my Denon 1713 again frown.gif

I replaced my old Sony HTIB speakers with the Energy Take Classic speaker set recommended in the troubleshooting guide. I went through the Denon Audyssey setup as before. Like last time, the Denon failed to output anything to my subwoofer and it carried on as if the sub didn't exist.

After Audyssey completed, I went into manual setup to change all of my speakers to "SMALL" and to turn my sub back on in the Denon settings. I set the Bass settings to "LFE+Main" like Denon Support suggested. But still no output!

Rubbing my fingers on the tip of the RCA cable produces noise from the sub, so I know it's functional. The Denon was also able to output to my old Sony sub, so I know it's not defective. I must not have my settings right.

How should my speaker settings be configured in my Denon receiver? Can anyone with an Energy sub share their sub settings with me (what's your Low Pass Filter set to on your sub? How about the Phase?)?

Thanks again for your help! smile.gif

EDIT: Problem solved! Again! It was a loose cable tongue.gif
Edited by tilt3daxis - 11/22/12 at 9:00pm
post #3189 of 10468
I am stuck... I just bought a new TV that has HDMI 1 port with ARC. I then connected my Denon 2113 Monitor Out port. I am not getting any sound?

Cable coax cable from wall to TV
TV hdmi 1 (ARC) hdmi to Monitor Out HDMI on reciever.
Changed the hdmi 1 on reciever input to HDMI

What else am I missing I know its a simple change. Thanks for the help. My old tv's audio was connect with yellow coax so I dont have a previous reference.
post #3190 of 10468
Thread Starter 
The only thing on the receiver side is to ensure that HDMI Control is set to ON. Then just switch to the "TV audio" input. That's it.

After that it's all about the TV. There are probably setting to activate HDMI CEC and external audio in the TV settings menus.
post #3191 of 10468
Hey Batpig,

So I never could get the hdmi to work but I could if I hooked up the digital optical cable and changed the TV input on the reciever to digital optical. On the tv row for inputs for the hdmi column its locked down (--). Im guessing the ARC does not work when you run the cable from the wall to the tv, but only when you have a cablebox inbetween.

Does the digital optical cable give the same sound quality as an hdmi?
post #3192 of 10468
Actually possiblly better quality as the HDMI(ARC) connection is generally limited to only stereo 2.0 while the optical out can pass stereo or DD 5.1.
Edited by jdsmoothie - 11/23/12 at 7:16am
post #3193 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt3daxis View Post

My subwoofer stopped working with my Denon 1713 again frown.gif
I replaced my old Sony HTIB speakers with the Energy Take Classic speaker set recommended in the troubleshooting guide. I went through the Denon Audyssey setup as before. Like last time, the Denon failed to output anything to my subwoofer and it carried on as if the sub didn't exist.
After Audyssey completed, I went into manual setup to change all of my speakers to "SMALL" and to turn my sub back on in the Denon settings. I set the Bass settings to "LFE+Main" like Denon Support suggested. But still no output!
Rubbing my fingers on the tip of the RCA cable produces noise from the sub, so I know it's functional. The Denon was also able to output to my old Sony sub, so I know it's not defective. I must not have my settings right.
How should my speaker settings be configured in my Denon receiver? Can anyone with an Energy sub share their sub settings with me (what's your Low Pass Filter set to on your sub? How about the Phase?)?
Thanks again for your help! smile.gif
EDIT: Problem solved! Again! It was a loose cable tongue.gif

Okay now ... that's twice .... the next time around, the phrase "the boy who called wolf" will kick in. tongue.gif
post #3194 of 10468
great thanks!
post #3195 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

Quick question ...
I've never had a Denon receiver before, only Yamaha, so do Denon receivers have a "Scene button mode" equivalent?

Yes. Denon's version is called "Quick Select", although for some reason Denon removed the Quick Select buttons and now only has them on the front panel of the AVR.
post #3196 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaggelis View Post

I just purchased a Denon 3313CI receiver. I was all excited to try it out with my brand new Martin Logan ESLs!
Initially everyhting seemed to work fine. I hooked up the TV and was able to see al the control menus and start configuring the receiver.
But once I plugged the ethernet cable to the receiver (to log in to my Pandora account) the receiver started a firmware update and then things turned ugly! Apparently something went wrong with the update and now the receiver is stuck in a mode where it retries to update the Firmware, but never comes out of it. I left it trying the whole night and nothing had changed after 12-13 hours.
I did try a few things that I found on this thread/the owner's manual:
1) Reset the receiver
2) Unplug it for a few minutes and then retry.
Nothing seems to work. On top of that when I connect the TV through a HDMI cable, nothing shows up (as I mentioned earlier it used to work before the receiver went into that weird state).
Please help, if there is anything else I can try on my own. Based on what I read on the owner's anual it seems I might have to go back to the dealer to reprogram the firmware.
I am sure my network connection is up and running, so it's not a network problem.
thanks and happy thankgsgiving

Give the "Network Reset" in post #5 of this thread a try.
post #3197 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer8210 View Post

So here's a tale of woe.
I purchased my 2313 on Oct 1 after EE graciously upgraded me due to being out of stock of the 2312.
Without ever having taken it out of the box (due to waiting for improvements to be made to my den and having the patience of a saint) I come home to find my room flooded and my new in the box receiver soaked.
Oh yeah, to make matters worse my new RC LCR and RC-10's also water logged as well.
I just put a claim in to Amex in order to check to see whether I might be eligible for coverage under their protection plan.
I am very fortunate compared to others who have lost much, much more but I felt it was time to share my little story.
Also, homeowners insurance is not helping and I had flood coverage but only for structure and not contents.
Learn from my mistake and if you're in harms way for any type of calamity then get your contents coverage..!!

One solution that has worked for others is to dry the soaked unit out as much as possible on your own (eg. using a fan). Then place the item in a plastic bag filled with uncooked rice and leave it for a week or two to let the rice absorb the moisture. It may take a couple of weeks, but the end result may very well be a usable item. smile.gif
post #3198 of 10468
Just ordered a AVR1713 via denon's website. Can't wait to get it in. Just need to find a sub now, thinking a PL-200.
post #3199 of 10468
I am looking at purchasing a Denon tonight and have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with. First, I plan on using it with a pair of primus p363 towers, p163 surounds, and a primus pc351 center. The three models I am looking at are the 1513,1613, and 1713. I do not care about air play, and streaming is not that important to me. I would like to be able to plus in my ipod and listen to music though. I also want to make sure my receiver is compatible with all of the movie audio foremats such as dolby trueHD.

My first question is, will all three of these receivers be able to power my speakers?
My second is, if I do not care about airplay or streaming, is a 1613 any better than a 1513?
My third question is, is Audessy XT worth the extra $70 or $170 dollars?

Thanks in advance for any help!
post #3200 of 10468
^^^

1) yes

2) see this post for recommendations on models... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq#post_21995235

3) yes
post #3201 of 10468
Opinions: buying from Amazon Prime, get a 2313 for $899 or last year's 3312 for $799?

Considerations;
I have last year's 3312 in my family room and love it. Works great, no complaints
I DO use airplay, occasionally and it works fine on my last year's model
I don't have any use for what seems like a bogus gimmick, the 4k upscaling
I don't use more than one zone.
Upstairs I am powering an ancient set of Paadigm Monitor 7s, with matching center and surrounds, and use a powered M&K sub. the 3312 probably has power to spare for this, so I could step down to the 2313 here and move the 3312 to the basement
Downstairs I intend to get a set of Paradigm Monitor 11s, with matching center and surrounds, and will attach a powered sub, likely an SVS PB-12/13, or possibly a hsu.

I'm thinking the 2313 should even have enough juice to power that too with no sweat if I wanted it to instead of doing the swap.

Thoughts?
post #3202 of 10468
First... This site is amazing...

My apologies upfront if this has already been discussed. I already have a DENON AVR receiver (circa 1995) running a 5.1 surround setup in my basement. To give you an idea on how old, it is a PRO LOGIC surround (the left and right rear surround speakers get the same signal). Since my kids have pretty much taken over my man cave, I have slowly moved to add a second home theater setup in my family room. The last piece of the puzzle left is the AV receiver. From reading the vast amount of information on this site (thanks a bunch) I am confident that the 2113 CI will satisfy my needs.

Now for my silly question...

The one thing I have been extremely disappointed with my basement home theater is how the surround sound and center channel speakers are leveraged when playing music. How do today's Denon's AVR receivers work when listening to music? I have hoping the surround speakers can be configured to work as if they are a B set of speakers.

Thanks,
Paul
post #3203 of 10468
Leveraged or "not" leveraged? Not sure what specifically you're driving at; however, Audyssey Dyn EQ will boost the bass and surround channels when used and using the Reference Level Offset setting at 10db can reduce this boost (with music and TV video) to effectively bring out the clarity of the center channel.
post #3204 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Opinions: buying from Amazon Prime, get a 2313 for $899 or last year's 3312 for $799?
Considerations;
I have last year's 3312 in my family room and love it. Works great, no complaints
I DO use airplay, occasionally and it works fine on my last year's model
I don't have any use for what seems like a bogus gimmick, the 4k upscaling
I don't use more than one zone.
Upstairs I am powering an ancient set of Paadigm Monitor 7s, with matching center and surrounds, and use a powered M&K sub. the 3312 probably has power to spare for this, so I could step down to the 2313 here and move the 3312 to the basement
Downstairs I intend to get a set of Paradigm Monitor 11s, with matching center and surrounds, and will attach a powered sub, likely an SVS PB-12/13, or possibly a hsu.
I'm thinking the 2313 should even have enough juice to power that too with no sweat if I wanted it to instead of doing the swap.
Thoughts?

You can use the first few posts in this thread to compare the features of the 2313CI and if that is enough for you, then enjoy. smile.gif
post #3205 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanburito60 View Post

I am looking at purchasing a Denon tonight and have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with. First, I plan on using it with a pair of primus p363 towers, p163 surounds, and a primus pc351 center. The three models I am looking at are the 1513,1613, and 1713. I do not care about air play, and streaming is not that important to me. I would like to be able to plus in my ipod and listen to music though. I also want to make sure my receiver is compatible with all of the movie audio foremats such as dolby trueHD.
My first question is, will all three of these receivers be able to power my speakers?
My second is, if I do not care about airplay or streaming, is a 1613 any better than a 1513?
My third question is, is Audessy XT worth the extra $70 or $170 dollars?
Thanks in advance for any help!

The 1513 really shouldn't be in consideration as it has no auto EQ (ie Audyssey) at all, so you're really looking at just the $70 difference going from the 1613 to the 1713, and as Chris notes, yes, worth the boost in version from MultEQ to MultEQ XT.
post #3206 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You can use the first few posts in this thread to compare the features of the 2313CI and if that is enough for you, then enjoy. smile.gif

Those posts are helpful, I can live with either feature set. My question of folks is do you think it's worth the $100 premium to get this years features or would you personally save the $100 and get a more powerful amp? I'm leaning towards last year's 3312 but wondered what others would do in my spot. I know that some vendors had sold the 3312 as low as $600 or so when the new ones were first announced, had I thought about it I'd have jumped on it back then....
post #3207 of 10468
It's purely a personal decision and only you can decide which is more important to you ... the power difference will be moot.
post #3208 of 10468
i have the same problem, looked for hours for a solution. AVR 1713, web control just returns a blank black page. Brand new AVR 1713. Did anyone figure anything out?
post #3209 of 10468
^^
To whom are you responding to? It helps if you press the "Quote" button below the post you want to respond to first and then enter your response.
post #3210 of 10468
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raupa01 View Post

Now for my silly question...

The one thing I have been extremely disappointed with my basement home theater is how the surround sound and center channel speakers are leveraged when playing music. How do today's Denon's AVR receivers work when listening to music? I have hoping the surround speakers can be configured to work as if they are a B set of speakers.

Thanks,
Paul

Not sure exactly what you are asking but things have come a long way since the original Pro Logic for music. Pro Logic II is a major improvement for 5.1 music up mixing, and like its DTS corollary (Neo:6) both feature a dedicated "music mode" with adjustable parameters to control how much content is mixed to the center and surrounds. Additionally you can just go with the simple "all ch stereo" mode which broadcasts the same stereo signal through all speakers.

Plus, as JD notes you have some additional control via the audyssey Dynamic EQ post processing, which can enhance the "surround bubble".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ