or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 117

post #3481 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriggins View Post

Hi!
Just picked up my 1913 tonight. Working well so far with one small issue. After awhile, the video overlay stops working. For example, volume does not show on screen, info does not etc.
If I switch inputs, then it starts working again. Is this normal?

Try unplugging the AVR for a few minutes.
post #3482 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post

Just set up my 1713 for the first time. The microphone test work great. I currently have a 10" polk subwoofer, but im replacing it with a bic f12. Should i redo the microphone set up with the bic sub, or just use the set up i did with the 10" polk and maunually turn the down the bic.

As a general rule, anytime you make any configuration change in your room, to include adding a sub or more speakers, adjusting the positions of the sub/speakers, or adjusting/adding furniture or wall treatments, you'll want to rerun Audyssey. smile.gif
post #3483 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgendell View Post

Just purchased the 2113ci and a new Panasonic plasma TV. Is there a way to use the TV's built-in speakers as the 5.1 center channel?
that would be even if possible about the worst option - if $$$ is tight & even if it's not - the Pioneer C22 which can be had for $69 on sale online new or $99 at BB (which will match online prices) is a GREAT center channel speaker - amazing regardless of $$$ - here's a review link http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-speaker-system
post #3484 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpizza View Post

Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased a Denon 2113 as a replacement for my aging(feature-wise anyway...) Pioneer VSX 1018 and one of the first things I noticed was when it was turned out there was a quietish but noticable buzz/hum coming from the receiver itself. Strangely enough the noise would get louder when the receiver was in standby mode, but would quieten down a bit if it was being fed a signal in HDMI Standy Passthrough. I also noticed during my troubleshooting that if I unplugged the ethernet cable the sound would go away for a second then come back again.
I figured it may be a problem with the receiver so I ended up getting a Denon 2313 as a replacement and it does the exact same thing with the exact same symptoms.
Is this a normal thing for Denon amps? It just seems to much of a coincedence that both receivers would have the same fault so I can only imagine this is normal behaviour? Any settings I can try to reduce this?
It's just that my Pioneer was pretty much silent so I find this to be a bit annoying.
my 2 month old 2113 doesn't output such a noise but the Yamaha 10 yr old AVR that it replaced used to produce such a buzz - that I got used to but took some time ...., i don't miss the buzz
post #3485 of 10469
Hey folks. I just purchased an AVR-1713 and am trying to get things programmed with my Harmony Touch remote. I looked in the database on myharmony.com and there aren't any discrete PowerOn or PowerOff codes - just a toggle.

Any recommended work arounds?

I thought about trying other Denon models - but (a) this is my first Denon so I don't know where to start (which would be applicable) and (b) I'm afraid of losing key commands I would need or having the device not map properly.

Thanks in advance.
post #3486 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushdrops View Post

that would be even if possible about the worst option - if $$$ is tight & even if it's not - the Pioneer C22 which can be had for $69 on sale online new or $99 at BB (which will match online prices) is a GREAT center channel speaker - amazing regardless of $$$ - here's a review link http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-speaker-system
Thanks to you and jdsmoothie for the feedback.

It's really a "logistics" issue. We replaced a ca. 1990's 27" CRT TV with a 55" Panasonic Plasma (and replaced an aging Yamaha receiver with the Denon 2113ci). Naturally the TV cabinet needed to be replaced with one that would accommodate the much larger TV but the cabinet we found on short notice that fits the space doesn't have a center shelf to hold the center speaker, only a left or right shelf. So that prompted the Bad Idea of using the built-in speakers, which I now won't pursue wink.gif

I haven't had a chance to hook everything up so I don't yet know how it will sound having the center speaker off-center (albeit slightly - it's still under the TV, but it's basically under the left half of the TV instead of centered under the TV). I'll play around with it and see what it sounds like and if it doesn't sound good we'll figure something out.

Thanks again for the feedback!
post #3487 of 10469
Hi guys. I purchased an AVR-1713 for my father. He uses a pricey hearing aid setup with the tv because he has trouble hearing dialogue and my mother has a deep disliking of all things loud. How can we connect the hearing aid device?
Here we played with the headphone out idea http://s15.postimage.org/klf6u88mz/hearingaid01.jpg
You can see we would need a different cable. That would probably work. But that kills the audio to the speakers. We would like it so that he could use the ear piece while audio also came out of the speakers for my mom to hear. Yes there is a delay but he's okay with that. He was able to do this with the old Denon that we had connected via an optical cable for Blu-ray and Cable TV. The HDMI would also send the audio to the TV and he connected the ear piece that way.
Like this http://s17.postimage.org/rrlyp249b/hearingaid02.jpg
Is there an HDMI through? It says 3d through but what about regular old HDMI through with the avr in standby. If we could get the HDMI through the TV, then tell tell the TV to output the audio through the ear piece that might work if it's just him watching TV.
Okay thanks guys. If you play in a band do yourself a favor and wear ear protection.
post #3488 of 10469
Best buy had the 1713 YMMV down to $399. Cheaper than amazon! Picked up an open box in new shape for $290. Score!
post #3489 of 10469
Hey guys, I just ordered an AVR-2113.... Should be coming in later this week. I am trying to figure out the easiest way to connect the AVR to internet / network in my home. It's a 2 story house and the wireless router is upstairs in a loft area and if possible I would like to avoid having to move it.

I went into BB and they recommended the NETGEAR WNCE2001 "Universal Wi-Fi Adapter for Smart TV & Blu Ray". I was able to get it on sale for a good price.... Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

Or if you could recommend any alternate options I would be very interested to hear them, thank you!


-Jason
post #3490 of 10469
The 1913 I got yesterday has discrete power codes. I got them for my Redeye.
post #3491 of 10469
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepr00f View Post

Hey folks. I just purchased an AVR-1713 and am trying to get things programmed with my Harmony Touch remote. I looked in the database on myharmony.com and there aren't any discrete PowerOn or PowerOff codes - just a toggle.

Any recommended work arounds?

I thought about trying other Denon models - but (a) this is my first Denon so I don't know where to start (which would be applicable) and (b) I'm afraid of losing key commands I would need or having the device not map properly.

Thanks in advance.


I just checked and loaded an AVR-1713 device into my Harmony profile, and there are PowerOn and PowerOff commands in there. So you should be good to go.

One thing to note about the current Denon lineup is that they don't have Audyssey control buttons (EQ toggle, DynEQ/Vol toggle), so as a consequence these buttons won't be in the default Harmony database. If your Harmony remote has room for extra devices, you can add a second model as a "dummy device" to get extra buttons like DynEq/Vol toggle, or you could just start with an older device and then spend some time using the "learn IR" feature to teach the Harmony any new commands that are specific to the 1713.

Denon dropped the Audyssey control buttons starting last year (xx12 models) so if you want to go this route, start with an xx11 model. For example, I just tried with AVR-3311CI and there are control buttons for Dynamic EQ/Vol toggle (which will cycle between the five states), MultEQ, and Restorer.

A few commands will be non-functional (like CH Level, Source Select) and you will probably have to spend some time configuring the inputs and teaching the Harmony the new surround mode buttons (Music, Movie, etc) but when you are done you will have more complete control over sound functions.

You can read more here for even more advanced "hacks": http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=106
post #3492 of 10469
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigdawg View Post

Hey guys, I just ordered an AVR-2113.... Should be coming in later this week. I am trying to figure out the easiest way to connect the AVR to internet / network in my home. It's a 2 story house and the wireless router is upstairs in a loft area and if possible I would like to avoid having to move it.

I went into BB and they recommended the NETGEAR WNCE2001 "Universal Wi-Fi Adapter for Smart TV & Blu Ray". I was able to get it on sale for a good price.... Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

Or if you could recommend any alternate options I would be very interested to hear them, thank you!


-Jason


That device is what's called a "wireless bridge" -- it basically picks up the WiFi signal and turns it back into a hard-line ethernet signal that you can then plug into your receiver. It should work fine for what you want.

The one thing to note is that device only provides one ethernet port, so if you want to hard-wire additional devices you need even more hardware. If you do want to add more ports, it might be worth getting a different wireless bridge with 4 ports instead (often a regular wifi router can be configured in "bridge mode" as well if you are a bit technically inclined).

You can read more here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread#user_G2
post #3493 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I just checked and loaded an AVR-1713 device into my Harmony profile, and there are PowerOn and PowerOff commands in there. So you should be good to go.
One thing to note about the current Denon lineup is that they don't have Audyssey control buttons (EQ toggle, DynEQ/Vol toggle), so as a consequence these buttons won't be in the default Harmony database. If your Harmony remote has room for extra devices, you can add a second model as a "dummy device" to get extra buttons like DynEq/Vol toggle, or you could just start with an older device and then spend some time using the "learn IR" feature to teach the Harmony any new commands that are specific to the 1713.
Denon dropped the Audyssey control buttons starting last year (xx12 models) so if you want to go this route, start with an xx11 model. For example, I just tried with AVR-3311CI and there are control buttons for Dynamic EQ/Vol toggle (which will cycle between the five states), MultEQ, and Restorer.
A few commands will be non-functional (like CH Level, Source Select) and you will probably have to spend some time configuring the inputs and teaching the Harmony the new surround mode buttons (Music, Movie, etc) but when you are done you will have more complete control over sound functions.
You can read more here for even more advanced "hacks": http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=106

Awesome - thanks for all the great advice.

And you are correct - the PowerOn and PowerOff commands ARE in there. I must have selected something wrong the first time I was looking for them. Works great.

Will have to think about the Audyssey approach. Good ideas.
post #3494 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

That device is what's called a "wireless bridge" -- it basically picks up the WiFi signal and turns it back into a hard-line ethernet signal that you can then plug into your receiver. It should work fine for what you want.
The one thing to note is that device only provides one ethernet port, so if you want to hard-wire additional devices you need even more hardware. If you do want to add more ports, it might be worth getting a different wireless bridge with 4 ports instead (often a regular wifi router can be configured in "bridge mode" as well if you are a bit technically inclined).
You can read more here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread#user_G2

Thanks for the feedback.... I read through most of this forum and must have skipped right over the network portion somehow. Cheers!
post #3495 of 10469
I've been searching for a 1713 for about a week now (bad timing on my part, as I figured out what I wanted just AFTER black friday/cyber monday). I just saw an open box 1913 listed online for $369. I don't need 7.1 or video up conversion. I could conceivably someday use zone 2, but it would take some significant wiring, and it's not something I was looking for. But that open box price is better than anything I can find (authorized) for the 1713 right now. Should I jump on it, or wait around for a better price on the 1713? Also, I've never bought open box before. How does the warranty work? Is it still 2 years from when I purchase it?

Thanks,
post #3496 of 10469
Intial setup of 1713

All I will connect is a blueray player and a Cable box. I am a little confused about what to connect and in what order for the initial setup and speaker calibration. To get the GUI up on the LCD TV, do I hook up the cable box to the Denon and then the HDMI out to the TV. I am thinking that would just get me the cable TV feed and not the GUI setup. I found the Denon manual a little counter intuitive for me!

I just want to get started without a hitch.
post #3497 of 10469
Thread Starter 
^^^^^^ @ JJMiller -- Open box models still carry full warranty from date of purchase as long as you buy from an authorized dealer.

With the 1913 you will step down slightly in audio fidelity (regular MultEQ vs. XT) but you gain a good number of features. The video scaling is a side bonus, to me the conversion (being able to convert analog sources and run one HDMI cable to the TV) is more important just to simplify wiring. Plus you get a component video input, a couple more analog audio inputs (including a dedicated "CD" input for audio-only sources). And also Spotify if you care about that.

The extra 2 channels may also come into play, you may not think you want 7.1 but you may end up adding height speakers or surround backs at some point.

Keep looking though, if you REALLY will never use the extra 2 channels or the video conversion, and just want to maximize sound quality, the 1713 is a slightly better bet.
post #3498 of 10469
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGCanuck View Post

Intial setup of 1713

All I will connect is a blueray player and a Cable box. I am a little confused about what to connect and in what order for the initial setup and speaker calibration. To get the GUI up on the LCD TV, do I hook up the cable box to the Denon and then the HDMI out to the TV. I am thinking that would just get me the cable TV feed and not the GUI setup. I found the Denon manual a little counter intuitive for me!

I just want to get started without a hitch.

I think you are overcomplicating things. The input signal isn't really relevant, the GUI outputs over the HDMI connection to the TV, regardless of what source you have connected. Connect the receiver to the TV with an HDMI cable and fire it up, the Setup Wizard should appear automatically.
post #3499 of 10469
Yeah, the Pandora issue is really p$*&ing me off! Here's to a rapid fix!
Pat
post #3500 of 10469
I'm really confused with the Denon AVR-1713 I'm trying to setup for my father. He's got only two input sources--cabe box & new Panasonic Blu-Ray player--both connected via HDMI to the Denon. For some reason, the Denon will simply not play any audio when we choose either TrueDolbyHD or DTS-MA on a Blu-Ray.

"Normal" Dolby Digital and DTS are fine, it just seems to be the "HD" variants... I browsed through this (and other) forums and learned to switch the Blu-Ray player HDMI output from "bitstream" to "PCM", and that did get the audio working for the HD formats, but my father is concerned there is something wrong with the AVR he just purchased...

Is there no way to get the Denon to properly decode bitstreamed HD audio? Sorry if this has been answered before... I tried the search engine and didn't get anything relevant.

One thing I forgot to mention: while the Panny Blu-Ray has had a firmware update, I haven't been able to connect the AVR-1713 to the internet in order to check if it needs one... Possibly, but this HD audio support is advertised on the box, so I'm pretty sure it should work "out of the box".
post #3501 of 10469
Make sure to set the "Secondary Audio" setting on the BDP to OFF.
post #3502 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgendell View Post

Thanks to you and jdsmoothie for the feedback.
It's really a "logistics" issue. We replaced a ca. 1990's 27" CRT TV with a 55" Panasonic Plasma (and replaced an aging Yamaha receiver with the Denon 2113ci). Naturally the TV cabinet needed to be replaced with one that would accommodate the much larger TV but the cabinet we found on short notice that fits the space doesn't have a center shelf to hold the center speaker, only a left or right shelf. So that prompted the Bad Idea of using the built-in speakers, which I now won't pursue wink.gif
I haven't had a chance to hook everything up so I don't yet know how it will sound having the center speaker off-center (albeit slightly - it's still under the TV, but it's basically under the left half of the TV instead of centered under the TV). I'll play around with it and see what it sounds like and if it doesn't sound good we'll figure something out.
Thanks again for the feedback!

Understood, which is why you also may want to experiment with a "phantom" center channel (ie. using FL/FR speakers only). Whereever you end up placing the CC, ensure to angle it UP to your ears in the main listening position before running Audyssey.
post #3503 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMiller View Post

I've been searching for a 1713 for about a week now (bad timing on my part, as I figured out what I wanted just AFTER black friday/cyber monday). I just saw an open box 1913 listed online for $369. I don't need 7.1 or video up conversion. I could conceivably someday use zone 2, but it would take some significant wiring, and it's not something I was looking for. But that open box price is better than anything I can find (authorized) for the 1713 right now. Should I jump on it, or wait around for a better price on the 1713? Also, I've never bought open box before. How does the warranty work? Is it still 2 years from when I purchase it?
Thanks,

Key thing to remember with open box units is to do the microprocessor reset procedure right out of the box to ensure all settings are restored to their original factory defaults.
post #3504 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert's Fish View Post

Hi guys. I purchased an AVR-1713 for my father. He uses a pricey hearing aid setup with the tv because he has trouble hearing dialogue and my mother has a deep disliking of all things loud. How can we connect the hearing aid device?
Here we played with the headphone out idea http://s15.postimage.org/klf6u88mz/hearingaid01.jpg
You can see we would need a different cable. That would probably work. But that kills the audio to the speakers. We would like it so that he could use the ear piece while audio also came out of the speakers for my mom to hear. Yes there is a delay but he's okay with that. He was able to do this with the old Denon that we had connected via an optical cable for Blu-ray and Cable TV. The HDMI would also send the audio to the TV and he connected the ear piece that way.
Like this http://s17.postimage.org/rrlyp249b/hearingaid02.jpg
Is there an HDMI through? It says 3d through but what about regular old HDMI through with the avr in standby. If we could get the HDMI through the TV, then tell tell the TV to output the audio through the ear piece that might work if it's just him watching TV.
Okay thanks guys. If you play in a band do yourself a favor and wear ear protection.

You have a couple options ....

(1) Use the HDMI Standby pass through option setting the "HDMI Control" setting to ON and the "Standby Source" to the HDMI source name you want to pass through to the TV. Connect the TVEars to the TV.

(2) Connect the TVEars to the Zone 2 pre-outs and then any source he wants to listen to would also have to be connected to the AVR with an analog audio cable (in addition tot he HDMI cable fo the main zone surround speakers. This configuration will allow main zone speakers to operate at the same time.
post #3505 of 10469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Understood, which is why you also may want to experiment with a "phantom" center channel (ie. using FL/FR speakers only). Whereever you end up placing the CC, ensure to angle it UP to your ears in the main listening position before running Audyssey.
Great advice, thanks.

Is there any special settings needed if there is no center channel speaker? Or do we just not hook it up and let Audyssey do its thing?
post #3506 of 10469
Nope. Just don't hook it up and run Audyssey. smile.gif
post #3507 of 10469
I have a AVR-1713. When using AirPlay I notice that when iTunes or the iPhone is set to maximum volume the receiver indicates -6dB. Is this expected behavior? I'd like to be able to bring the volume to 0db...
post #3508 of 10469
Hello all,

Forgive me if this is in the wrong spot. The first page did mention if someone is thinking about buying an xx13 model to post questions here.

I really want to start building a home theater system, and with Christmas around the corner, the in-laws may help me with that. I have been looking around here for weeks doing research till my head spins. I think I'm settled on Denon. It's a trusted brand to me from decades ago, and it seems they still make a quality product. Specifically I'm debating on asking for the AVR-1713 or the AVR-1913. Budget is around $350 (I'll still have to buy my own speakers.)

My house is small. It's what we call a cottage here in NY. The setup would go in the living room, which is about 16'x9'. Here is the general setup (done to as much scale as my meager home design talent could muster:


Click for a bigger version

I posted this in another recent thread on the Onkyo 5500, but have decided the quality control issues the Onkyo has is making me too nervous. I don't have lots of disposable money, so I would like to buy something that will be future-proof for at least the next 5 years or so. Back to the diagram...

Black rectangle = TV stand
Blue rectangle = Wall-mounted 50" Panny plasma TV
Brown rectangle = Couch where we would be listening.
Red circles = Mounting locations where the landlord/previous tenant had speakers mounted. The ceiling is 11 ft or so peaking at the TV side and slants down to about 7 1/2-8 feet on the couch side (cathedral style?) So they weren't exactly ceiling mounted, more like high wall mounted in the corners of the room. Steps up to the kitchen prevent me from putting them on stands, so I'd have to do a similar speaker setup.

Connected devices:

50" Panny plasma
Xbox 360
SA 8300HD DVR set top box
Nintendo Wii
Also probably purchasing a BDT220 blu-ray player to go with it. I was considering a PS3 for blu-ray, but I don't think I need yet another game system, even though the wifey would totally give me the green light. Haha.

From front of couch to TV is about 5 ft. Really about 7 ft viewing distance. That's sitting back on the couch, and accounting for the depth of the wall mount of the TV. Anyway, I'm getting to granular in details. Back on point...

Currently we are just using the built-in speakers on the Panny and my inner Tim the Tool Man Taylor is dissatisfied. I'm not an audiophile, per se, but I do want something better. Main uses for the AVR would be for the TV, game systems, and movies. Internet/streaming stuff is all gravy. I don't have a Netflix account, and I do stream content from the Xbox fairly often, so DLNA isn't really a question. My biggest concern is having no component inputs on the 1713 for the Wii. yes, I could just hook it up to the TV, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of owning an AVR? Also the lack of video upconversion is worrisome. Keeping in mind, I want to keep this thing for quite a few years, I'm thinking it would be an important feature, but I could be wrong.

I saw a refurb 1913 on AC4L for $349.99 and that is exactly in the price range I'm looking at. Should I put that on my X-Mas list? Even the 1713 brand new on Amazon is $449, which is a bit higher than they would go, I think. AC4L has it for $319 refurb, which obviously is still within budget.

Any advice would be appreciated. Heck, even if someone has a totally different model they think would suit me better, feel free to chime in. I just posted here, because those two Denon's seemed to fit the bill. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks!
Mike
post #3509 of 10469
Hello everyone! Long time reader, but first time poster here. I recently purchased a Denon 2113CI largely based on the reviews from previous and current owners here on this thread. It is currently 1:30am here in Florida and I am unpacking my new receiver from the box and setting it up. Currently I am only hooking up my Panasonic television and CBL / DVR box with plans shortly to unleash the power with a 5.1 speaker setup. Right now I currently have HDMI Control set to ON so that I can have my television "control" my receiver by turning on / off when I power on / off my television. This feature seems to be working great but does create one question. I could totally be misunderstanding the concepts or just plain doing something wrong, but when my television is ON, and the receiver is in STANDBY mode, I can adjust the volume via my television remote perfectly and the audio comes out of my TV speakers. But when I power ON the receiver, the audio is disconnected from the television and I hear no audio at all. The picture remains but I cannot figure out how to have the audio back through the TV without turning off HDMI Control. Is the receiver trying to send the audio somewhere else and if so, is there a may to easily select whether I want the audio to pass through the TV speakers or my 5.1 speakers?

I did notice when looking at the menu on the Denon, when I power on the receiver and the sound is absent, under the video / HDMI setup, the HDMI Audio Out is grayed and cannot be changed.

I hope that I explained everything well enough and I really do appreciate everyone's feedback. I am very excited to join the Denon family and look forward to learning more about my device!
post #3510 of 10469
Hi All,

I purchased a new Denon 1713 a few months back. Over the last few weeks, I seem to have an issue with HDMI. When I want to watch apple tv, sometimes it takes me to hit the power on and off three or four times before I get picture on the Apple tv.mad.gifWhy would that be? Also, I have an issue with sound but that is a panny issue under viera connect...I will ask that under the correct forum. It seems to only be with Apple TV the others are working fine.

My connections

Apple TV HDMI
Xbox 360 HDMI
D*TV HDMI
Bluray HDMI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ