or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 34

post #991 of 10468
Thread Starter 
not at all. The Pro Kit allows for more measurement points and has other advantages (better mic, ability to tweak target curve, etc) but it uses the actual MultEQ version built into the receiver. So all of the advantages of XT32 (greater filter resolution) still apply.
post #992 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

the former... that being said, it helps to have the noisemakers to take advantage of it...
i'll add to the people saying "buy a xt32 equipped avr" to get xt32... the pro kit is a completely separate piece of software, that will work with either xt or xt32 (if the cem implements the api)...

So does xt32 add something to the mix if used with a pro kit calibration or is standard xt just as good then?

yes... it adds the same amount to the mix one way or the other... see batpig's post for why...

note that all "xt32" avrs are no longer created equal... prior to this year, xt32 had always been implemented with an accompanying piece of software called "sub eq"... "sub eq" allows independent level/delays... all versions of xt32, "eq" the sub(s) in the same way however, with the response summed (as they should)...

imo/ime independent level/delays can be very valuable tools if the user makes the effort to use them...
post #993 of 10468
I am buying a new receiver this weekend. 2112CI ($435 from EE) or 2113CI ($550 from Vann's). Please tell me what the better buy is. Thanks in advance.
post #994 of 10468
The better buy is the model that meets your feature/input/output requirements which only you can decide.
post #995 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by openchut82 View Post

Let us know how many mic positions you get. A couple of us are only getting 6 positions with the 2313 instead of 8.

Update: Ran Audyssey set-up last night and got 8 positions. Forgot to grab the first few of serial number, but firmware version is: 1490-0168-0000-8130-1566; assume you're trying to figure out if a particular batch of these were problematic so I'll try and grab the serial # sometime this weekend and post back.

BTW - I *love* the sound from this receiver; not an audiophile, but I absolutely can tell a difference after the MultQEQ XT setup was done - didn't fully understand what "eq'ing" the sub could do, but compared to my old Onkyo, the low freq's are so much smoother and everything sounds less "artificial" or overly-processed than what I had before. Much fuller, richer sound from the same speakers I had before and the surround effects are much more enveloping, too - thrilled so far.

Configuring basic things is quirky, but I'd recommend the 2313 to anyone considering it. Was hoping to save money with the 2113, but unfortunately had to support 2 optical-in's and decided to step-up to this one.
post #996 of 10468
^^
Did you run Audyssey via the Setup Wizard or via the Speakers --> Audyssey Setup menu?
Edited by jdsmoothie - 7/13/12 at 6:21am
post #997 of 10468
I have the 2113ci, with firmware updated about a week ago. When I run from "Audyssey Setup", only 6 locations for measurement are available. When I run from "Speakers", 8 microphone placements are available. I re-ran my calibration from there successfully. I wonder why they two paths differ - perhaps it's just an error in their code.
post #998 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwilson View Post

I have the 2113ci, with firmware updated about a week ago. When I run from "Audyssey Setup", only 6 locations for measurement are available. When I run from "Speakers", 8 microphone placements are available. I re-ran my calibration from there successfully. I wonder why they two paths differ - perhaps it's just an error in their code.

Guess I wasnt crazy after all. Does the same thing on my 2313.
post #999 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by openchut82 View Post

Guess I wasnt crazy after all. Does the same thing on my 2313.

I only care about the sound quality where we sit. What benefit is derived from additional sampling points/locations?
post #1000 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Did you run Audyssey via the Setup Wizard or via the Speakers --> Audyssey Setup menu?

95% certain it was through the Setup Wizard v. the Speakers path - I'll confirm this weekend.

mm
post #1001 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I only care about the sound quality where we sit. What benefit is derived from additional sampling points/locations?

After taking the #1 mic position (main listening position), the remaining 7 mic positions are all centered within 2'-3' about the #1 position ... the more data provided to the Audyssey filters, the more refined the results.
post #1002 of 10468
Thanks for that input. I read the manual and all it said was "Do it!" Nothing as to the why.
post #1003 of 10468
Thread Starter 
the way Audyssey works is by sampling the distribution of acoustic issues in your room, and then using fuzzy logic to "cluster" the problems and correct the highest priority issues. This yields a superior result over a broader area.

the thing is, frequency response (especially the low freq's where wavelengths get longer) can vary significantly even a few inches away. Even if you always sit in one place every time, your head is not the size of the microphone tip and gripped in a vice wink.gif there will be head movement, shifting in your seat, even your head itself keeps your ears a few inches apart right? smile.gif

You can "bias" the results to your personal "sweet spot" by clustering the measurements even more tightly around where you sit (i.e. keeping everything within 1-2ft instead of 2-3ft) but you still should do as many measurement points as possible, because you are feeding the algorithm more data about the acoustics of your "listening bubble".
post #1004 of 10468
Question about HDMI pass-through while 2313 is "off" - I want my U-verse box to connect to the AVR via HDMI and just use one HDMI from AVR to TV. However, the menu options for setting up HDMI pass through appear to be greyed out and I can't figure out how to tell it to let the signal always pass through.

Also - no signal passes unless the AVR is powered on.

I'm trying to eliminate having to use two cables from the u-verse box - one optical cable to the AVR for listening to TV in surround and another hdmi cable to the TV for normal viewing/listening through TV speakers.

What the heck am I missing?
post #1005 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The better buy is the model that meets your feature/input/output requirements which only you can decide.

They both seem to meet my requirements. The question is: Is it worth it to get the newer model with a few additions (dedicated airplay in zone 2, 4K, etc.) for the additional money. Also, what vendor is better to work with in case of any isssues with the receiver (EE or Vann's)?
post #1006 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

...because you are feeding the algorithm more data about the acoustics of your "listening bubble".

Thanks for the input. Trying to maintain the simple mind thinking process, I'm wondering if by adding more measurements, doing so makes the measuring process deceptive because I'm not sitting there, there or there.....and then the parrot picked up on the test tones. eek.gif

LOL!

(I knew it was going happen but with crossed fingers we sallied forth)

smile.gif

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 7/13/12 at 11:39am
post #1007 of 10468
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonski 
The question is: Is it worth it to get the newer model with a few additions (dedicated airplay in zone 2, 4K, etc.) for the additional money

well depends if you want those additions or not, right? smile.gif

you either care about being able to stream AirPlay to Zone 2 while watching something in main zone or you don't -- thus the "is it worth it?" question is meaningless outside of your personal context.

I assume you have reviewed the first post listing what's new/different in the xx13 models versus the xx12?

most of the stuff is incidental but the bigger ones are the AirPlay independent to zone 2 thing, the front panel HDMI input, the shallower chassis depth.... otherwise it's mostly small potatoes. If you compare the back panels the input allocation is essentially identical (with the exception of that one HDMI input moving from back to front).
post #1008 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonski 
The question is: Is it worth it to get the newer model with a few additions (dedicated airplay in zone 2, 4K, etc.) for the additional money
well depends if you want those additions or not, right? smile.gif
you either care about being able to stream AirPlay to Zone 2 while watching something in main zone or you don't -- thus the "is it worth it?" question is meaningless outside of your personal context.
I assume you have reviewed the first post listing what's new/different in the xx13 models versus the xx12?
most of the stuff is incidental but the bigger ones are the AirPlay independent to zone 2 thing, the front panel HDMI input, the shallower chassis depth.... otherwise it's mostly small potatoes. If you compare the back panels the input allocation is essentially identical (with the exception of that one HDMI input moving from back to front).

Is Airplay the only source that won't play independently in Zone 2 on the 2112CI? In regards to the vendor, is it easier to work with EE or Vann's?
post #1009 of 10468
Thread Starter 
Correct, the restriction ONLY applies to AirPlay. Any other "legal" source (analog or internally tuned audio) will play independently to Zone 2.

Both Vann's and EE have great reputations.
post #1010 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Correct, the restriction ONLY applies to AirPlay. Any other "legal" source (analog or internally tuned audio) will play independently to Zone 2.
Both Vann's and EE have great reputations.

Thanks.
post #1011 of 10468
Just received a Marantz SR5007 receiver from Vann's. All the guys I dealt with at Vann's were easy going and the purchase price included two-day shipping. Other than having to actually pay for the purchase itself (ouch), the process could not have been any easier.
post #1012 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhaskar View Post

Question about HDMI pass-through while 2313 is "off" - I want my U-verse box to connect to the AVR via HDMI and just use one HDMI from AVR to TV. However, the menu options for setting up HDMI pass through appear to be greyed out and I can't figure out how to tell it to let the signal always pass through.
Also - no signal passes unless the AVR is powered on.
I'm trying to eliminate having to use two cables from the u-verse box - one optical cable to the AVR for listening to TV in surround and another hdmi cable to the TV for normal viewing/listening through TV speakers.
What the heck am I missing?

For HDMI pass through to work, you must set to ON (p. 111) and set the to the HDMI jack# the U-verse box is plugged in to. You may also have to set HDMI-CEC on your TV to OFF as well.
post #1013 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonski View Post

They both seem to meet my requirements. The question is: Is it worth it to get the newer model with a few additions (dedicated airplay in zone 2, 4K, etc.) for the additional money. Also, what vendor is better to work with in case of any isssues with the receiver (EE or Vann's)?

Folks always ask this question, but in the end, only you "the buyer" can decide whether you will want or ever need the features offered on the higher model. Power and audio fidelity wise, there is not likely to be any noticeable difference. The rule of thumb is it's better to get a lower priced AVR that meets all your needs and put the savings into upgrading the speakers or adding another sub as dual subs will help smooth out the bass.
post #1014 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Did the firmware update complete successfully? Do you have a wired or wireless connection to the router?

Yes the firmware completed sucessfully. It is a wired connection. Seems to be doing better now I just have an anoying thing where it disconnects in the app every few minutes and it take another minute before I can connect to it again.
post #1015 of 10468
^^
Have you tried resetting the router? What router are you using?

What routers are other XX13 model owners using that have experienced no networking issues whatsoever? And is it connected by wire or wirelessly? If wirelessly, what WiFi bridge is being used?
post #1016 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsprague View Post

Does anyone know when the official android app is coming out?
This is one of the main reasons I was going to buy the new model. The denon website say's it's already out:
"Intuitive Graphical User Interface and Remote App
The AVR-3313CI features a Setup Assistant along with a graphical user interface that simplifies the initial setup and daily operation of the receiver. In addition, the receiver supports the Denon Remote App, which lets you operate the receiver's main controls from your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Android smartphone."

The new Andoid app is now available for the XX13 models only.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/music_and_audio/denon-remote-app_cnnjj.html
post #1017 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamel View Post

Well, I exchanged my original 3313ci for a new 3313ci after the original unit would occasionally lockup up on me. This occasional lockup occurred with the latest firmware and even after a microprocessor reset.
And now the very same lockup is occasionally occurring with the second brand new unit! As I write this, the unit continues to play HD Radio audio in the Main Zone while it continues to send HDMI audio and video .

For what it's worth, I also had the same problem once with my new 3313, replacing a 3310, that happened about 5 days ago. Totally locked up, no front buttons worked at all, no power button, nothing. On the latest firmware. A power pull and plug it fixed it and I haven't had the issue since. But I don't use any of the other zones, just the 6 HDMI inputs to a single main HDMI out to my Samsung PN63B590 Plasma. I didn't call Denon support but if it happens enough, I'm hoping that there will be a new fix out soon. It looks like replacing the unit(s) doesn't work as it seems that it's not hardware related but firmware.
post #1018 of 10468
I searched this forum but couldn't find a reference to this problem so I thought I'd ask here:

I just upgraded me venerable 3310ci to the 3313ci. The 3313 works great and the sound quality is definitely a step up!

But one thing I noticed a few days ago what was not present on the 3310 is that when I change the volume on the 3313ci I can hear a slight pop in the speakers. The pop is not significantly noticeable but I did notice it when I was as kicking up the volume using the remote while I was standing under one of my back surrounds. Every time it went up .5 I could hear a pop or click from the speaker. I thought it was just the speakers or the surrounds, so I walked around and listened to the center channel and the left, rights and the same 'click' is noticeable on each speaker.

This did not occur on the 3310ci. I'm wondering if the new GUI causing a audio glitch as it's updating the screen. There is no pop if I just use the Web interface and just set a new volume level.

Had anyone noticed this or could I ask if anyone with a 3313ci do a remote volume change while standing under or next to one of your speakers and tell me if you hear the click or pop as each level is changed?

Thanks,
post #1019 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Have you tried resetting the router? What router are you using?
What routers are other XX13 model owners using that have experienced no networking issues whatsoever? And is it connected by wire or wirelessly? If wirelessly, what WiFi bridge is being used?

I use two Cisco routers, one as a router and one as a bridge. The WRT-100 is the router and I use a WRT-54G running DD-WRT and use it as a wireless and wired bridge. The Denon 2113CI is plugged into the bridge and it works like a charm. Hope this helps.
Pat
post #1020 of 10468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgoodman View Post

Yes the firmware completed sucessfully. It is a wired connection. Seems to be doing better now I just have an anoying thing where it disconnects in the app every few minutes and it take another minute before I can connect to it again.

That's weird?? Sounds like possibly an IP conflict? Are you sure the router is set as instructed in the Denon manual? I don't have it on me but there are a few words on DHCP settings I remember reading.

Pat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ