Originally Posted by domonation
... sorry for all the questions, i am new to this thing, but thank you for the answers everyone.
• So if i take it somewhere with internet connection, i just hook it up and i can still get a channel guide (will this have show titles?). > Yes & (Yes)
• and then eventually i will lose guide, but it will keep channel listing (is this just the channel numbers?). > Yes (+ channel ID)
• how long will channel Guide/listing last before it disappears? > maybe 2 weeks for your unit
• and will the clock eventually slow down in this model (rtv5080) > Yes, it will drift
• and can i just manually reset the clock? > No, needs a hack to do this
Maybe get it going at your friend's place and then you'll have a week or two to see how you like it. The Guide will disappear a day at a time, and you can search for shows to record off the Guide and learn the system. When the Guide runs out, you can try Manual recording. If you do like it, you can choose to get a phone line or Internet connection, or keep visiting your friend.