or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › 7.1 speakers for $1000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7.1 speakers for $1000

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Here you go, another noob request for you experts:

Planning to buy DENON AVR2112CI (or AVR2113CI).

Room dimensions:
18*12(TV on this side)*12


I want an decent setup 7.1 under $1000, if can't get a decent 7.1, 5.1 is fine too.

If it makes more sense, then I can go up to $1500 for the 7.1 setup.
post #2 of 38
Thread Starter 
I am back with little more details and choices I made, so that you, experts, can now chime in and help.

Before we go into my choices, there are some changes:
for now the system will be in a 15*10*11 room, it will change in a year.

Budget increased to $2500 for 5.1, I already got the Denon 2112CI.

Speaker req:
Fronts:
only Towers
less boomy clear voice

Surrounds:
bipole & dipole preferred(I am not sure how much difference it makes but when I read about them it sounded like good to have)


Here is my list of choices so far:

Verus Forte Tower Surround HD $2,737

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II, RS-52II Surround Sound Speaker Package - Cherry $2,595.00

KEF T305 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System (Black) $2,199.00
NOTE: I guess these KEF's aren't PLANAR tech, as I understand Planar's are too much directional and I don't like that.


Intimus 5T Hybrid HD $2,409.00

Emp E55TiR tower system ii $2,200.00

Klipsch RF52 ii ht package $1,899.00

SWAN T700HT $2,249.00
NOTE: I would like to replace the surrounds in this set with the Swan T1000R, as the Swan T1000R are bipolar's.

I understand there are too many choices here, and that's where I need your help. As I said earlier, I am a NOOB and don't understand much of accoustics/speakers. If some of the choices here don't make sense or doesn't fit here, please explain so that I can understand. Most of the choices are pure by look, so another requirement, obviously from my wife, should look too good, but I will sacrifice the look for the audio experience.
post #3 of 38
Well you said you want "less boomy clear voice". You need to understand that many of these large towers are going to have that effect in a smallish room, especially if they're placed near walls.

How far away from the rear wall is you couch? 7.1 only makes sense if you have room behind your seats to place the rear surrounds, the side surrounds fire right across the seating area. There is nothing superior about bi/dipole if your surrounds are properly placed, they do help when placement is less then ideal.

Anyways I recommend Ascend 340's for you LCR, just buy the pedestal stands so they look like a tower



Then 2 pairs of HTM200's for surround.

This comes out to about $1500 shipped including the stands. The add a Rythmik F15 for an amazing ultra low frequency experience in a room your size.
post #4 of 38
I am by no means an expert like a lot of people here, but I would throw out a suggestion for a pair of Psb Alpha T1s in the front, Psb Image S5s for surround, Psb Image c5 center channel and the Outlaw LFM-1 EX subwoofer.

I haven't heard all these systems but I have heard the Klipsch speakers and the kef set and I find the PSB system to be much better. There are probably better choices for the rears in my setup to get the price cheaper and give you enough headroom to get the Image T5s. I just haven't heard a lot of the bipoles besides the psbs and polks, and the psbs blow those away.
post #5 of 38
Im by NO means an expert but id suggest a Yamaha 5.1 package as you can pick on up for around 1400 dollars
post #6 of 38
Thread Starter 
"Well you said you want "less boomy clear voice". You need to understand that many of these large towers are going to have that effect in a smallish room, especially if they're placed near walls."
- got it, I still want the towers and lets pick the one's that are considered less boomy compared to others. Why? future proof, system will be moved to another location and which I expect to be an ideal HT setup.

"How far away from the rear wall is you couch?"
no room behind the wall, that's one of the reasons I wan thinking bipole's will be better for my setup.

"7.1 only makes sense ..." sorry for the misleading title, only 5.1 please.

Does any of this change your recommendations?
post #7 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydileie View Post

I am by no means an expert like a lot of people here, but I would throw out a suggestion for a pair of Psb Alpha T1s in the front, Psb Image S5s for surround, Psb Image c5 center channel and the Outlaw LFM-1 EX subwoofer.

I haven't heard all these systems but I have heard the Klipsch speakers and the kef set and I find the PSB system to be much better. There are probably better choices for the rears in my setup to get the price cheaper and give you enough headroom to get the Image T5s. I just haven't heard a lot of the bipoles besides the psbs and polks, and the psbs blow those away.

Infact, PSB's were on my list but I forgot. I like the PSB setup you have suggested. I can extend my budget a little for a absolute nice setup, so I think PSB's still open.
post #8 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryceo View Post

Im by NO means an expert but id suggest a Yamaha 5.1 package as you can pick on up for around 1400 dollars

I thought HTIB is no go around here.
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

I thought HTIB is no go around here.

You could be right but he usked for idears on a budget
post #10 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryceo View Post

You could be right but he usked for idears on a budget

Yep, the budget is $2500 for a 5.1 setup and I guess its a decent budget and well over the HTIB level, where it makes sense for non-HTIB setup. ALL this from my understanding by reading this forum.
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

"Well you said you want "less boomy clear voice". You need to understand that many of these large towers are going to have that effect in a smallish room, especially if they're placed near walls."
- got it, I still want the towers and lets pick the one's that are considered less boomy compared to others. Why? future proof, system will be moved to another location and which I expect to be an ideal HT setup.

"How far away from the rear wall is you couch?"
no room behind the wall, that's one of the reasons I wan thinking bipole's will be better for my setup.

"7.1 only makes sense ..." sorry for the misleading title, only 5.1 please.

Does any of this change your recommendations?

None of that changes my recommendation, other then maybe getting the 170's for surrounds instead of 200's. Those speakers have no problems with a larger room, and honestly they look like a tower with those stands so what's the problem?

Anyway, if you absolutely insist on towers...

NHT Absolute Tower

NHT Absolute Center

Absolute Wall

$1430 shipped. The sub rec stays, as that will literally shake your foundation at 14hz with authority corner loaded in your room, and you'll want the big sub when you move to a bigger room.

Please note that the Ascend system is bigger and capable of higher output, and IMO will sound better. You pay more for towers because they're physically bigger...
post #12 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

None of that changes my recommendation, other then maybe getting the 170's for surrounds instead of 200's. Those speakers have no problems with a larger room, and honestly they look like a tower with those stands so what's the problem?

Anyway, if you absolutely insist on towers...

NHT Absolute Tower

NHT Absolute Center

Absolute Wall

$1430 shipped. The sub rec stays, as that will literally shake your foundation at 14hz with authority corner loaded in your room.

Please note that the Ascend system is bigger and capable of higher output, and IMO will sound better. You pay more for towers because they're physically bigger...

No problem, I am trying to see if I could get the comparable sound quality with a better/nice looking speakers. If none of others match the quality then absolutely no problem with your recommendations.

Sorry forgot another parameter: 50/50 Movies/Music.
post #13 of 38
post #14 of 38
Thread Starter 
anyone tell me how does my selections compare with the suggestions so far. I am trying to understand here, so that I can make more informed decision. If anyone could compare the systems in my list it would be helpful.
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

Yep, the budget is $2500 for a 5.1 setup and I guess its a decent budget and well over the HTIB level, where it makes sense for non-HTIB setup. ALL this from my understanding by reading this forum.

You only usked for idears I gave one
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

anyone tell me how does my selections compare with the suggestions so far. I am trying to understand here, so that I can make more informed decision. If anyone could compare the systems in my list it would be helpful.

All of those packages come with garbage subs, so dont be fooled by the discount package prices. You would likely be fine in your small room, but have to upgrade when you move.

I think the RF82 and EMP system would likely overpower that room, and the rest likely to small when you move. I'm not to familiar with those Swans, so none of my comments applies to them.

If you like Klipsch, RF62's with a better sub would be something to consider.
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

anyone tell me how does my selections compare with the suggestions so far. I am trying to understand here, so that I can make more informed decision. If anyone could compare the systems in my list it would be helpful.

The best way to make a more informed decision - is to go over all
the reccomendations, along with your list > and pick the two that
interst you the most. Buy their bookshelf versions and test them in
your house. In general the voicing and sonic signature, will be the
same in their series.
I will say one thing about the Klipsch, the horns may get to you in
that size room. Good bookshelves, can work real good in your room
with a good sub.

I know for sure, what I would buy from all the lists - however, your
choice and good luck!
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

I am back with little more details and choices I made, so that you, experts, can now chime in and help.

Before we go into my choices, there are some changes:
for now the system will be in a 15*10*11 room, it will change in a year.

Budget increased to $2500 for 5.1, I already got the Denon 2112CI.

Speaker req:
Fronts:
only Towers
less boomy clear voice

Surrounds:
bipole & dipole preferred(I am not sure how much difference it makes but when I read about them it sounded like good to have)


Here is my list of choices so far:

Verus Forte Tower Surround HD $2,737

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II, RS-52II Surround Sound Speaker Package - Cherry $2,595.00

KEF T305 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System (Black) $2,199.00
NOTE: I guess these KEF's aren't PLANAR tech, as I understand Planar's are too much directional and I don't like that.


Intimus 5T Hybrid HD $2,409.00

Emp E55TiR tower system ii $2,200.00

Klipsch RF52 ii ht package $1,899.00

SWAN T700HT $2,249.00
NOTE: I would like to replace the surrounds in this set with the Swan T1000R, as the Swan T1000R are bipolar's.

I understand there are too many choices here, and that's where I need your help. As I said earlier, I am a NOOB and don't understand much of accoustics/speakers. If some of the choices here don't make sense or doesn't fit here, please explain so that I can understand. Most of the choices are pure by look, so another requirement, obviously from my wife, should look too good, but I will sacrifice the look for the audio experience.

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to look at KEF speakers. We are running a graduation special which will give you a great system without hurting the pocket. Check out the link below and feel free to ask any questions.

KEFDirect Specials

Sincerely,

KEF America
post #19 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

All of those packages come with garbage subs, so dont be fooled by the discount package prices. You would likely be fine in your small room, but have to upgrade when you move.

I think the RF82 and EMP system would likely overpower that room, and the rest likely to small when you move. I'm not to familiar with those Swans, so none of my comments applies to them.

If you like Klipsch, RF62's with a better sub would be something to consider.

ok, you mean we can build a good package from my list instead of package deals. If we go that route what are my options?

How are the monitor Audio gold/silver's compared to others in my list. I saw a video on youtube of the monitors, I liked how they sound, it may change if I hear them live.

And one more thing, I may have given a wrong impression of my room, but I am looking for some versatile environment within a range of 2000sft to 3500sft. This is for my home country and so I cannot obviously test any in the home. So, as you said EMPs are overpowered, I may be leaning towards kind of those setup. How much overpowered are the EMPs do you think when you compare to my room size 15*10*11, like 25% more than needed?

on another note, is it bad to have overpowered setup? just for my knowledge.
post #20 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The best way to make a more informed decision - is to go over all
the reccomendations, along with your list > and pick the two that
interst you the most. Buy their bookshelf versions and test them in
your house. In general the voicing and sonic signature, will be the
same in their series.
I will say one thing about the Klipsch, the horns may get to you in
that size room. Good bookshelves, can work real good in your room
with a good sub.

I know for sure, what I would buy from all the lists - however, your
choice and good luck!

I get it but I cannot test in the house, where they are going to be used. And I am looking for a little versatile system.

I should have asked like this "what is the best 5.1 setup we can put together with a budget of $2500", best I mean best of all aspects.

I didn't get what you mean by "the horns may get to you..", I am new to this field so I don't understand lot of words used here. care to explain? TIA
post #21 of 38
Horns can be ...loud and bright
post #22 of 38
Yes, build your own package with a better sub

http://shop.avscience.com/RF-62-II-F...ack_p_396.html

http://shop.avscience.com/RC-62-II-C...ack_p_404.html

http://shop.avscience.com/RS-42-II-S...ack_p_409.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

By overpower, I mean they might just have to much lower mid range/mid bass in a small room, due to close wall placement excessively reinforcing those frequencies. Of course the receivers room EQ will likely fix this so it might not matter.
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

I didn't get what you mean by "the horns may get to you..", I am new to this field so I don't understand lot of words used here. care to explain? TIA

This is how it was for me, some people hear it differently. Also,
no quarantee that it will sound the same way to you.

The Klipsch Reference speakers sound somewhat aggressive, sharp
and edgy to me, with their horn presentation. Also, they tend to be
lacking in midrange resolution, compared to the highs. The bookshelf
2/way, 6 1/2 speakers - gave me ear fatigue, in less than 15 minutes.
I do understand why a lot of people like them.
post #24 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The best way to make a more informed decision - is to go over all
the reccomendations, along with your list > and pick the two that
interst you the most. Buy their bookshelf versions and test them in
your house. In general the voicing and sonic signature, will be the
same in their series.
I will say one thing about the Klipsch, the horns may get to you in
that size room. Good bookshelves, can work real good in your room
with a good sub.

I know for sure, what I would buy from all the lists - however, your
choice and good luck!

Thanks for the heads up about the Klipsch, I had a chance to audition the Klipsch at my nearby BB store, they had only Klipsch and Polk. As you said, I couldn't stand Klipsch after 10 minutes, polk were more warmer.

And I also had a chance to audition, B&W and Paradigm in a local audio store. B&W felt a little warmer compared to Paradigm but I just spent only couple of minutes on each though. I plan to visit the store again with my music.

Anyway, how does the POLK align with respect to the other speakers on my list? anyone
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

Thanks for the heads up about the Klipsch, I had a chance to audition the Klipsch at my nearby BB store, they had only Klipsch and Polk. As you said, I couldn't stand Klipsch after 10 minutes, polk were more warmer.

And I also had a chance to audition, B&W and Paradigm in a local audio store. B&W felt a little warmer compared to Paradigm but I just spent only couple of minutes on each though. I plan to visit the store again with my music.

Anyway, how does the POLK align with respect to the other speakers on my list? anyone

Go back to the local audio store and audition with your music.

I feel the same about Polk as I do Klipsch - however, I can listen
longer to Polk. I prefer Paradigm over Klipsch and Polk.

From your origional list, I favor the Emptek Line. As far as KEF on
your list, it would be the IQ series and not the Thin series. See the
link posted above, #18

From this thread, I prefer Focal - then NHT, KEF IQ, PSB, and look
into Ascend. Good Luck!
post #26 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Go back to the local audio store and audition with your music.

I feel the same about Polk as I do Klipsch - however, I can listen
longer to Polk. I prefer Paradigm over Klipsch and Polk.

From your origional list, I favor the Emptek Line. As far as KEF on
your list, it would be the IQ series and not the Thin series. See the
link posted above, #18

From this thread, I prefer Focal - then NHT, KEF IQ, PSB, and look
into Ascend. Good Luck!

Then I think I should have listened to the POLKs little more. Tomorrow, I am going to a BB store which has the Magnolia section and expect to check more brands. Will check out the POLKs again.

I know this is not an ideal way but I have been trying to check out the videos on youtube for various brand speakers posted by various users(not the promos), I felt Monitor Audio better on youtube.

Any views on Monitors compared to others.
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

I know this is not an ideal way but I have been trying to check out the videos on youtube for various brand speakers posted by various users(not the promos), I felt Monitor Audio better on youtube.

Any views on Monitors compared to others.

I do not measure sound with YouTube, Monitor Audio RX Silver series
are real good speakers. I prefer them and Focal above the others. One
thing to remember about speakers like Focal and Monitor Audio, is they
will reveal nasty and poor recordings. They do not give me Ear Fatigue
however, they will not smooth over harsh/edgy, and poor recordings.
KEF IQ series are nice - however the current KEF Q series, has stepped
it up. The current Q series is up there with Monitor Audio and Focal. I
am still a fan of NHT, and like PSB. Going on adventures like this can
be a challenge. If you are not careful, you can go over budget.
post #28 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I do not measure sound with YouTube, Monitor Audio RX Silver series
are real good speakers. I prefer them and Focal above the others. One
thing to remember about speakers like Focal and Monitor Audio, is they
will reveal nasty and poor recordings. They do not give me Ear Fatigue
however, they will not smooth over harsh/edgy, and poor recordings.
KEF IQ series are nice - however the current KEF Q series, has stepped
it up. The current Q series is up there with Monitor Audio and Focal. I
am still a fan of NHT, and like PSB. Going on adventures like this can be
a challenge. If you are not careful, you can go over budget.

I understand we cannot measure with YT but you can see all brands in action, as most won't be available for audition.

I am more worried about the Ear Fatigue as you mentioned. I can sacrifice SQ, a little, for ~zero Ear Fatigue, as I intend use extended hours when I use them, you get that right.

I doubt I will find NHT or PSB for audition here. I can audition EMPtek's, as I am in Salt Lake city.

KEF IQ/Q made into my research list. I will see if I can find a place to audition NHT, PSB, Focal and Monitor Audio. How does the EMPtek's align with the others in the list?
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post


I understand we cannot measure with YT but you can see all brands in action, as most won't be available for audition.

I am more worried about the Ear Fatigue as you mentioned. I can sacrifice SQ, a little, for ~zero Ear Fatigue, as I intend use extended hours when I use them, you get that right.

I doubt I will find NHT or PSB for audition here. I can audition EMPtek's, as I am in Salt Lake city.

KEF IQ/Q made into my research list. I will see if I can find a place to audition NHT, PSB, Focal and Monitor Audio. How does the EMPtek's align with the others in the list?

Seeing it in action huh?
post #30 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Seeing it in action huh?

Yes, I sound like idiot, but if you look at couple of videos of the brands you won't find locally to audition made by the actual owners, you can guess what to expect, of course you cannot make a decision. But I know and understand what I am doing.

If you can see from the discussion above, I haven't auditioned the Monitor audio but after watching couple of videos I was able to make a wild guess.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › 7.1 speakers for $1000