Originally Posted by jjeff
That's quite impressive, especially considering your tapes were recorded in SLP and I believe you used HDD DVDRs. For my conversion of about the same number of tapes(maybe closer to 2k) I gave up early on using my HDD DVDRs because of the amount of time required to HS burn from the HDD to DVDs. I figured it out and even though it only takes ~15 minutes to HS a full DVD, it would still add over 450 total hours to my project
I started out with more but for the majority of my project I used (2) ES-15's along with (2) Samsung VCRs and (2) ES-30v combo units. My time frame was ~ the same as yours and I was GLAD when it was done as probably was my DVDRs which still get occasional use(the ES-15's, I'm not really using the ES-30v's now).
Yes, I used HDD DVD recorders, and almost all of my tapes were recorded SLP first on T120s, then on T160s and T180s, and finally on a series of T210s (really!) at ten and a half hours per tape! The difficult part was not the recording, but finding any VCR that would play back those progressively thinner tapes reliably.
I had mostly archived television series, and they were also mostly NOT in the correct order. I had to put the whole five years of Babylon 5, for example, on the HDD, then dub the episodes to DVD-Rs, in the proper order. The HDD was essential for my purposes,and a non HDD unit would not have worked at all.
As I said, start the tapes and the recorders, go to work, come home, put chapter marks in the titles separating out the individual episodes, make playlists out of each episode, title them, then burn them in the proper order. It wasn't all that painful or time consuming, unless I started watching an episode of The Avengers, or Nova. Then hours could be lost!
Oh, the commercials were already, previously removed from the content, so it wasn't really a problem with the editing. I *AM* missing a few Lovejoy and Highlander episodes though. There must have been a few mislabeled, or nonleabeled tapes.