or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Panasonic VT50 Settings Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Panasonic VT50 Settings Thread - Page 38

post #1111 of 2130
Hi Mike, Would you mind sharing your setting to me? Thanks
post #1112 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Scirica - had a question about Kevin Miller's trip to your place. Did he talk about motion handling and what the best settings would be? Did he set it to 1080/24p 60hz/96hz or have you output 1080/60p?


I just was watching the opening to Sahara last night in 1080/24p 96hz and the whole scene came undone and all the pictures on the walls had the people inside look like they were shaking to death lol.

Jeff Meier was my calibrator. We discussed the shaking, using a scene from The Dark Night. He acknowledged the this was just a 24p issue. The best we could do was run it at 96 or 60hz with light motion smoothing. This helped, but it's still visible. Wish there was a better solution.
post #1113 of 2130

Is Panny working on this or do we have to live with it?

post #1114 of 2130
Hey guys, I noticed a few posts above some discussions on D-Nice's settings. Has he actually posted them anywhere? Anyone has the link? Sorry if this was asked several times before, but sometimes it's hard to get through hundreds of posts and find where the info started...

Thanks
post #1115 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Jeff Meier was my calibrator. We discussed the shaking, using a scene from The Dark Night. He acknowledged the this was just a 24p issue. The best we could do was run it at 96 or 60hz with light motion smoothing. This helped, but it's still visible. Wish there was a better solution.

Thanks for the info. Oddly I noticed that 60hz seemed to make it smoothest (w/o motion smoothing) but I think its masking it more. Oh well, not too big a deal
post #1116 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

Hey guys, I noticed a few posts above some discussions on D-Nice's settings. Has he actually posted them anywhere? Anyone has the link? Sorry if this was asked several times before, but sometimes it's hard to get through hundreds of posts and find where the info started...

Thanks

google Dnice reference settings. it is posted on another forum that we cannot link to here.
post #1117 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB173 View Post

google Dnice reference settings. it is posted on another forum that we cannot link to here.

Yep, found it. Should have checked there first anyway, as I am a member there too...

Thanks for your reply smile.gif
post #1118 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

I am using D-Nice's 3D settings in my 2D except for the brightness and contrast....Wow!
Thanks D-Nice!

Hey KT, just curious why you use 3D settings in 2D settings?
post #1119 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Thanks for the info. Oddly I noticed that 60hz seemed to make it smoothest (w/o motion smoothing) but I think its masking it more. Oh well, not too big a deal

I also prefer to use 60hz.
post #1120 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobeto View Post


Hey KT, just curious why you use 3D settings in 2D settings?

Tried the 2D and they seemed flat for some reason, maybe I missed something but I tried the 2D on two HDMI inputs and I said what the heck, I

hardly watch 3D, try them and the set came to life. I still use the first screens settings, bri, cont, color from 2D but the IREs and CMS' from his 3D work best on my set. I am not saying they will work for your set, but they may be worth trying, can't hurt.

post #1121 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

I also prefer to use 60hz.

Same here.
post #1122 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Jeff Meier was my calibrator. We discussed the shaking, using a scene from The Dark Night. He acknowledged the this was just a 24p issue. The best we could do was run it at 96 or 60hz with light motion smoothing. This helped, but it's still visible. Wish there was a better solution.

imo you should turn off all enhancements. If whatever you are seeing is still there, whats the point in masking it at the expense of the other 99.5% of the video that doesn't have a problem.

I use 96Hz (for both viewing and calibration) and of-course 1080P/24 pure direct set in my Oppo 95 for all Blu Ray movies. The only enhancement (if you can call it that) is my Radiance Mini 3D (video only is then sent directly to my VT50) because are vt50's (as any TV) can't process and store a LUT cube calibration or 21 point grayscale/gamma. I use HDMI port 1 on my BDP-95 for video only, HDMI port 2 is for audio that is sent directly to my Realiser or my Yamaha YSP-2200 via a simple HDMI switch (1x2).

If you want post the time stamp when your "shaking" issue is and I will check it out on my VT50.

ss
post #1123 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Tried the 2D and they seemed flat for some reason, maybe I missed something but I tried the 2D on two HDMI inputs and I said what the heck, I
hardly watch 3D, try them and the set came to life. I still use the first screens settings, bri, cont, color from 2D but the IREs and CMS' from his 3D work best on my set. I am not saying they will work for your set, but they may be worth trying, can't hurt.

Thank you for your reply smile.gif

I will try the 3D settings.
post #1124 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

imo you should turn off all enhancements. If whatever you are seeing is still there, whats the point in masking it at the expense of the other 99.5% of the video that doesn't have a problem.

I use 96Hz (for both viewing and calibration) and of-course 1080P/24 pure direct set in my Oppo 95 for all Blu Ray movies. The only enhancement (if you can call it that) is my Radiance Mini 3D (video only is then sent directly to my VT50) because are vt50's (as any TV) can't process and store a LUT cube calibration or 21 point grayscale/gamma. I use HDMI port 1 on my BDP-95 for video only, HDMI port 2 is for audio that is sent directly to my Realiser or my Yamaha YSP-2200 via a simple HDMI switch (1x2).

If you want post the time stamp when your "shaking" issue is and I will check it out on my VT50.

ss

SS: All enhancements are off. I sometimes put motion smoothing on light but generally even that is off for all sources. Jeff and I specifically looked at that scene together while he was here calibrating the desk. I can give you the time marks when I get home from
Sin City tonight, but it is very easy to find. It is very early in the movie where the Joker and the other criminals get out of the SUV and first enter the bank for the robbery. As the camera pans from left to right following them up the stairs, the vertical exterior wall of the bank (right building) is where you see the shaking. It is not subtle. Oppo 93 pure direct to VT50. HDMI1 straight to TV.

Thanks.

SC
post #1125 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

SS: All enhancements are off. I sometimes put motion smoothing on light but generally even that is off for all sources. Jeff and I specifically looked at that scene together while he was here calibrating the desk. I can give you the time marks when I get home from
Sin City tonight, but it is very easy to find. It is very early in the movie where the Joker and the other criminals get out of the SUV and first enter the bank for the robbery. As the camera pans from left to right following them up the stairs, the vertical exterior wall of the bank (right building) is where you see the shaking. It is not subtle. Oppo 93 pure direct to VT50. HDMI1 straight to TV.

Thanks.

SC

All I see is a little blurring of the banks vertical exterior, but no shaking. Actually all the tall buildings are a real torture test.
I did see a little more blurring using 96Hz than 60 Hz, but for that very brief scene I am very happy with how the VT50 handled all the tall buildings and the vertical exterior wall @ 96Hz.

So it sounds like the difference is my Radiance and more advanced calibration.

ss
post #1126 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post


So it sounds like the difference is my Radiance and more advanced calibration.

ss

Thanks SS. I need to find out a little more about the Radiance, and of course the other variable is the Oppo 95 vs 93. I'm going to assume Jeff did about all he could with my panel to combat this...not ready yet to say it was the calibration but of course you live with your panel and are able to improve your output on a regular basis. Jeff doesn't have that luxury with most of his customers.

When I get home tonight I'll play some more...really appreciate you taking a look at this!
post #1127 of 2130
So would the radiance be doing similar processing as a DVDo edge would be doing.?
post #1128 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

So it sounds like the difference is my Radiance and more advanced calibration.



For what it is worth, I discussed your methods with a very experienced professional calibrator who stated -

"There is NO NEED for a LUT box on a VT series. It is quite accurate. The difference would not be visible."
post #1129 of 2130
That is my understanding, with the Lumigen (Radiance) products being much more advanced in capabilities. In the threads on these products you see a few people movie from Edge to Radiance.
post #1130 of 2130
This is my first plasma and are not used to it yet but i love the tv, but see rainbown effects and evreything is going to fast sometimes. do i get used to it or do i have to change some settings?
im using popcorn hour a400 to my 55VT50

and i wonder about , what they do.

Pure Direct?
and 24p smooth film?
post #1131 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdubs View Post

For what it is worth, I discussed your methods with a very experienced professional calibrator who stated -

"There is NO NEED for a LUT box on a VT series. It is quite accurate. The difference would not be visible."

I don't think the guy knows what he is talking about, Maybe the guy should tell us and the professional studio's why, understanding that many professional studio's that master films and videos use LUT cube up to 1000 point gamut/cube to calibrate there equipment.

I do agree that the VT50's are fairly accurate with base settings. However please explain how a 6 point gamut/cube can compare to a gamut/cube of up to 1000 points, plus the fact that you can do a 21 point grayscale/Gamma/RGB balance when using most LUT boxes, like a Radiance 3D.

fyi, the VT50 (as most high end TV's) can hold/process only a 6 point gamut and a 10 point grayscale/gamma/RGB balance.

ss
post #1132 of 2130
I don't know that he meant it couldn't be adjusted better on paper. Rather that you wouldn't see the difference in casual use.

I linked him to the thread. It is up to him if he cares to validate his belief.
post #1133 of 2130
Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.

ss
post #1134 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

That is my understanding, with the Lumigen (Radiance) products being much more advanced in capabilities. In the threads on these products you see a few people movie from Edge to Radiance.

Hmmm looks like we might have toys in our future. If the edge handled all the motion stuff would we even want the more advanced stuff ATM. Definitely something to think about. One person claimed his pioneer elite bluray player was able to handle the motion on that dark knight sequence you referenced via its video processor.
post #1135 of 2130
I would recommend Jeff Meier. He is talked about all over the AVS Forums. He's been in business for 40 years now and travels all over the country. Canada may be on his traveling list. He stops traveling in June and resumes back on the road in September. I booked him for the end of June for my Plasma and Audio calibration.

Give him a call or email him. He's a genuine and very nice person to talk to. He'll give you great tips too.

Here's his website, check it out.

http://www.accucalhd.com/service-testimonials.htm
post #1136 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post

Anybody have a contact for the best calibrator in Toronto? These yellow or grey whites are killing me with this set. The only glimpse of Overall beauty was with Topper's Rev E settings set to Warm 1 but only on some content. I want to watch the Leafs lose every home game they play at least on somewhat white ice! When I read that D-Nice had posted his settings I was excited but after entering them, not so much.
I would recommend Jeff Meier. He is talked about all over the AVS Forums. He's been in business for 40 years now and travels all over the country. Canada may be on his traveling list. He stops traveling in June and resumes back on the road in September. I booked him for the end of June for my Plasma and Audio calibration.

Give him a call or email him. He's a genuine and very nice person to talk to. He'll give you great tips too.

Here's his website, check it out.

http://www.accucalhd.com/service-testimonials.htm
post #1137 of 2130
Would love if someone could help med with rainbow effects and why everything is going to fast sometimes. Popcorn hour a400 1080p 24p and ntsc,pal,24 .
post #1138 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.

ss
Who is your avatar of?
post #1139 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajjejosefsson View Post

Would love if someone could help med with rainbow effects and why everything is going to fast sometimes. Popcorn hour a400 1080p 24p and ntsc,pal,24 .

I am also sensitive to this. Is this your first plasma? If so, you may get used to it, I did. I rarely see it any more. I've had mine for 4 months now.
post #1140 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Thanks for the info. Oddly I noticed that 60hz seemed to make it smoothest (w/o motion smoothing) but I think its masking it more. Oh well, not too big a deal

I was using 96hz for awhile and during one nature show my daughter was watching there was a scene of flying over a mountain with jagged rocks. The rocks were passing directly under the camera and jumping across the view really bad. I tried motion smoother but it didn't help and just turned it off again. I then changed to 60hz and replayed the scene and it was completely smooth. Now I just leave it at 60hz. I can't stand it if the picture isn't smooth and haven't noticed any more flickering (guess its what you'd call it) since leaving it at 60hz. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Panasonic VT50 Settings Thread