or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Panasonic VT50 Settings Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Panasonic VT50 Settings Thread - Page 10

post #271 of 2130
44.0422 day
34.6734 night
post #272 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

What he did in the service menu is global for all picture modes. Without you going in to the service mode you can try changing the color temp setting to a cooler one such as going from warm2 to warm1 or even normal and check each with both your cal disc and while viewing content. Unfortunately there is no way to reset the service menu to stock white balance settings. There are posts all over these settings threads from people who forgot to write down their original white balance settings. Each display has their own individual settings. Maybe the calibrator has them written down. If so you then need to decide if you want to venture into the service menu and change them back to original. The service menu has separate white balance settings for HD and SD which are both the same. If he only adjusted the HD you could put on an SD channel and go into the service menu and you will see your original settings. You would then need to put on an HD channel and now you would be able to change your HD settings back to the original. Of course you could always complain that your calibration looks like crap and ask that they reset it for you if they have the settings. Good luck.

I actually went into the service menu myself while having the DVE BluRay cal disc in and messed with the settings. I wrote everything down first and found that the R-cut setting was way too high. I lowered that to where there was absolutely nothing but black. I must say that now the picture looks very good. He did say that at the lowest IRE's the color would not be accurate for some reason. What would be the best way to fix that? It was free and I do prefer this picture over the THX bright room setting that I was using but if I had to pay for a calibration, I'd rather pay for the equipment to do the autocal and do it myself.
post #273 of 2130
restricted

When you adjust the red cut, you should go back and double check the red drive setting as the two are interactive.

I wouldn't recommend doing autocal unless you needed to buy one of the specific video processors anyway. In my opinion, any time you manipulate a signal, you also degrade it. But that's just my opinion. biggrin.gif
post #274 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

restricted
When you adjust the red cut, you should go back and double check the red drive setting as the two are interactive.
I wouldn't recommend doing autocal unless you needed to buy one of the specific video processors anyway. In my opinion, any time you manipulate a signal, you also degrade it. But that's just my opinion. biggrin.gif

I agree with you, do not go into your service menu.

However according to the folks at SpectraCal, Autocal is completely reversible and the same goes for Calman. All you do is hit the reset button in that program.

As Autocal is right now, I would not recommend it. However the folks at SpectraCal say that Panasonic is going to have a update on there firmware for the xxVT50's to address the calibration controls. Further more SpectraCal will be incorporating these fixes from Panasonic into there software. So for now its wait and see if Autocal improves with the new firmware from Panasonic, and how SpectraCal incorporates the firmware into there software..

ss
post #275 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post

One week with the VT50 now, and I keep going back and forth on the picture. For reference, I am coming from a 42" 6 year old Samsung plasma which appeared to have a great picture. My main concerns with the VT50 are the following:
1) Picture a little dull and lifeless
I have been using Toppers settings which made a big difference to the display compared to the out of the box options. Also, I've continued to run Disney's WOW bluray to fine tune for my lighting conditions. Even with both of these, the TV just seems a little dark to me. I'd love for the colors to be more 'vivid', but not wash out the overall picture. The strange thing is on the Disney WOW blu ray, for the contrast tuning option, even testing contrast at '100' does not remove all the stars that should become invisible to my eye. Turning up brightness only appears to wash the picture out while making it brighter. Does anyone know of a way to manipulate the image to make it pop? Right now I'm running contrast at 84, brightness at 63, and color at 58, with all other settings match to Toppers post.
Perhaps the TV just needs more hours to break in? I've also ordered a new 15' cable to replace the 12' cable that is probably too short for what I am doing. While it carries 1080p (according to TV info), I did not look at the specs when ordering the 28 AWG 12' cable from monoprice, which they only spec up to 1080i. Perhaps a website error, who knows. Anyway, for what is really a 12' 6" gap (I've moved my receiver to accommodate the current 12' cable) I've gone ahead and purchased a 15' 24 AWG cable spec'd to 4K.
I've also started to doubt the set, wondering if it has a brightness issue.

When using AVS HD 709 or WOW i also need to set contrast and brightness really high to get even close to matching 'reference white'.

Is this due to the fact that VT50 has only run for 40+ hours now or am i missing something here?

Thanks a lot for any feedback.
post #276 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNDuTjE View Post

brightness really high to get even close to matching 'reference white'.

How high? If Brightness is above the mid 50's you're raising blacks into gray and washing them out.
post #277 of 2130
Thanks for your reply.

I have the european model but i have to set contrast almost to the max and raise brightness to get the white levels close to what they should be according to AVS HD.

Since blacks are indeed washed out i lower both settings again. But i'm wondering if i really need to set thise values that high or that something else is wrong.
post #278 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNDuTjE View Post

Thanks for your reply.
I have the european model but i have to set contrast almost to the max and raise brightness to get the white levels close to what they should be according to AVS HD.
Since blacks are indeed washed out i lower both settings again. But i'm wondering if i really need to set thise values that high or that something else is wrong.

What did you mean by "reference white" in post 275? Set white to the light output you want and then ensure that setting isn't clipping. If you are thinking that you should be seeing white all the way to 254, you might not be able to do that and 235 is the most used top for production anyway. Set Brightness as per the instructions to set black (it will probably give you 50-58), set Contrast to about 85, and set Panel - Mid. See what that looks like.
post #279 of 2130
I mean the 'reference white' bar used in the AVS HD 709 pattern (white clipping) to set contrast.
To even get near 235 i have to set contrast to maximum and also increase brightness 25% more then i set it after calibrating black levels.

What confuses me is that i can set perfect black levels but not white levels.
post #280 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNDuTjE View Post

I mean the 'reference white' bar used in the AVS HD 709 pattern (white clipping) to set contrast.
To even get near 235 i have to set contrast to maximum and also increase brightness 25% more then i set it after calibrating black levels.
What confuses me is that i can set perfect black levels but not white levels.

Once you set Brightness NO NOT change it until after you have set Contrast. Now check it again. It should not change by more than 1 or 2 clicks. If you are clipping white below 235 you either have a bad panel or it is some other setting. Please post all of your settings.
post #281 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I agree with you, do not go into your service menu.
However according to the folks at SpectraCal, Autocal is completely reversible and the same goes for Calman. All you do is hit the reset button in that program.
As Autocal is right now, I would not recommend it. However the folks at SpectraCal say that Panasonic is going to have a update on there firmware for the xxVT50's to address the calibration controls. Further more SpectraCal will be incorporating these fixes from Panasonic into there software. So for now its wait and see if Autocal improves with the new firmware from Panasonic, and how SpectraCal incorporates the firmware into there software..
ss

Thanks. So would it be safe to say that when they eventually update the firmware and Spectracal incorporates that and I do get it calibrated properly, that it will fix whatever issues were brought up with the calibrator going into the service menu?
post #282 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by restricted3711 View Post

Thanks. So would it be safe to say that when they eventually update the firmware and Spectracal incorporates that and I do get it calibrated properly, that it will fix whatever issues were brought up with the calibrator going into the service menu?

Good question, ask Panasonic or the boys from Spectracal. If what I have read is true about Panasonic setting the light level on each individuality xxVT50 then no.
So ask Panasonic about your problem, if it is pre-set then maybe they have a record of the settings.

If you are in a area that UMR covers, then have Jeff come and reset the light level and do a Calibration. He uses some very high end equipment and really knows how to use that equipment.

ss
post #283 of 2130
Panasonic has released firmware version 1.150 for the North American VT50's. This update does address the CMS Luminance Controls (working*) and it is a recommended update for new calibrations/Enthusiasts doing their own calibrations. For those who have had their displays professionally calibrated already, it is recommended that you hold off on updating to firmware v1.150 at this time (I will be updating this post).

No changes to ControlCAL G/VT30 Edition v2 are required!

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/fw/america/down_na5.html

*Confirmation from two Calibrators, one being buzzard767

8/4/2012 Update: For those who have had their displays professionally calibrated already, it is recommended that you do not update to v1.150 and you contact your Calibrator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monitorman View Post

Hi all,
I just did 3 VT50s yesterday. I did a Software Update to 1.150 I believe on all 3 panels. This enabled the Luminance controls in the CMS. It also changed the luminance of the colors and made it critical to adjust the luminance of all 6 colors to get it correct. This means it most definitely alters an already calibrated VT50. My advice would be to not do the update if you have had your VT50 professionally calibrated.

Edited by turbe - 8/4/12 at 7:21am
post #284 of 2130

Hi Turbe, Just sent you a PM about control cal.  Thanks, Sarky

post #285 of 2130
So I got my calibration last night and do not have the latest 1.150 firmware installed. Should I install the new firmware and have my calibrator come back and do it again? Why should I hold off on updating the firmware if I have it calibrated already? I'm just confused.
Any help would be great.

Thanks

Kevin
post #286 of 2130
I'd hold off on the update unless you will have your display re-calibrated after you apply the update.

still checking any possible issues for those with pro calibrations.
post #287 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

I'd hold off on the update unless you will have your display re-calibrated after you apply the update.
still checking any possible issues for those with pro calibrations.

Would it be worth the time and effort to do the update and have it re-calibrated? What performance increase would this new update and a re-calibration give me?
post #288 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Panasonic has released firmware version 1.150 for the North American VT50's. This update does address the CMS Luminance Controls (working*) and it is a recommended update for new calibrations/Enthusiasts doing their own calibrations. For those who have had their displays professionally calibrated already, it is recommended that you hold off on updating to firmware v1.150 at this time (I will be updating this post).
No changes to ControlCAL G/VT30 Edition v2 are required!

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/fw/america/down_na5.html
*Confirmation from two Calibrators, one being buzzard767

Thanks for the update, your the man.

Used the VT50 earth-net updater, worked like a champ.

I will be giving the new firmware its day in court tonight.

ss
post #289 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNDuTjE View Post

When using AVS HD 709 or WOW i also need to set contrast and brightness really high to get even close to matching 'reference white'.
Is this due to the fact that VT50 has only run for 40+ hours now or am i missing something here?
Thanks a lot for any feedback.

To my eye, the set is improving with time, so hopefully that helps you. I've also resisted from cranking up brightness too high, and perhaps am adjusting to this now. I've been using the Cnet settings and am relatively happy with those.

I don't have access right now to check, but will see how the TV appears with Disney WOW tomorrow and report back. Overall though, contrast is at 84 and brightness at 58, with many other pro settings tweaked beyond this. The Tv appears to have more pop now; my main focus now is improving the apparent picture softness (more an issue on lower quality content).
post #290 of 2130
X-Post @ HDJ - I did some more work tonight and managed 45.6 FtL in the ISF Day mode. It took PNL Brightness - HIGH to do it but with the new Luminance capability and the 10p Gamma controls it worked out okay.

I also did the ISF Night mode measuring 29.3 FtL with a Gamma of 2.4. The interpolation between 90% & 100% is still terrible but regardless the picture is excellent.

post #291 of 2130
I posted earlier that the firmware only fixed the lumanance adjustment so that it works.

Wrong.....there also appears to be other changes that I can't quantify other than to say that the picture on a uncalibrated display looks better in terms of how it handles white.
post #292 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

X-Post @ HDJ - I did some more work tonight and managed 45.6 FtL in the ISF Day mode. It took PNL Brightness - HIGH to do it but with the new Luminance capability and the 10p Gamma controls it worked out okay.
I also did the ISF Night mode measuring 29.3 FtL with a Gamma of 2.4. The interpolation between 90% & 100% is still terrible but regardless the picture is excellent.


Did you run out of some colors at 95????


Look forward to trying out bright panal brightness setting.
post #293 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Did you run out of some colors at 95????
Look forward to trying out bright panal brightness setting.

R,G,B, & W all good to 254

PNL - High produced a large S shaped gamma curve and I doubt if it could have been controlled without the 10p gamma adjustments. The following may or may not give you a head start:
1. Contrast - 85
2. Gamma Preset 2.6 to produce 2.2. 2.6 averaged the curve.

With the luminance controls now working, the Color control can be left at 50 instead of reducing to 46-47.

Prior to the update ISF Day was producing about 40FtL. Now, with 45.6, I can certainly see the difference in the morning but my several large Western facing windows will still be too big a challenge at 3-4PM.
post #294 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

R,G,B, & W all good to 254
PNL - High produced a large S shaped gamma curve and I doubt if it could have been controlled without the 10p gamma adjustments. The following may or may not give you a head start:
1. Contrast - 85
2. Gamma Preset 2.6 to produce 2.2. 2.6 averaged the curve.
With the luminance controls now working, the Color control can be left at 50 instead of reducing to 46-47.
Prior to the update ISF Day was producing about 40FtL. Now, with 45.6, I can certainly see the difference in the morning but my several large Western facing windows will still be too big a challenge at 3-4PM.

Buzz and others who are calibrating their VT50,
Are you using the 2 point W/B before going to the 10 point? If not, why?

I ask because I know some weren't using it before the firmware update.
post #295 of 2130
I always use 2p prior to 10p.
post #296 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

I always use 2p prior to 10p.

Thanks for the confirmation.
post #297 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post

To my eye, the set is improving with time, so hopefully that helps you. I've also resisted from cranking up brightness too high, and perhaps am adjusting to this now. I've been using the Cnet settings and am relatively happy with those.
I don't have access right now to check, but will see how the TV appears with Disney WOW tomorrow and report back. Overall though, contrast is at 84 and brightness at 58, with many other pro settings tweaked beyond this. The Tv appears to have more pop now; my main focus now is improving the apparent picture softness (more an issue on lower quality content).

Thanks Phil. Maybe i'm just have to be more patient until my panel has aged a bit more.
Since i have the European model i can't check on the settings you're using but it looks like yours are certainly not set to max at the moment.

The 'annoying' thing is that the image is looking great when watching a movie but the idea/fact that i can't calibrate it properly keeps bugging me.
post #298 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

I always use 2p prior to 10p.

20 and 80?
post #299 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

20 and 80?

That's what I always do but I may try Chad's approach.
post #300 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

20 and 80?

30 & 80 - i1Pro habit. Then I do 10p GS and gamma at the same time so I start with 100%, then do a run, and start adjusting. ControlCal makes it easy to flip back and forth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Panasonic VT50 Settings Thread