or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › New PJ help.... Mostly sports.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New PJ help.... Mostly sports.

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Friend is setting up an HT adjacent to his home office.
Fully light controlled and starting from scratch.
There will be a good amount of viewing with enough lighting so he can use his laptop.
Screen size 105-115"
Seating distance front row 11ft
Unsure of PJ distance to screen, as it will either be at back wall or mid room.
He'll watch approximately 70% sports.
He is eyeing the Sony 1000 and high end JVC.
What else should he be considering?

Btw he hates motion blurring he gets on some flat panels.
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

Friend is setting up an HT adjacent to his home office.
Fully light controlled and starting from scratch.
There will be a good amount of viewing with enough lighting so he can use his laptop.
Screen size 105-115"
Seating distance front row 11ft
Unsure of PJ distance to screen, as it will either be at back wall or mid room.
He'll watch approximately 70% sports.
He is eyeing the Sony 1000 and high end JVC.
What else should he be considering?

Btw he hates motion blurring he gets on some flat panels.

A 3 chip DLP is what I would look at if considering this price range. Runco or Sim2 would be my main picks. For mainly sports and that size screen, your friend might be happy with a single chip DLP. Runco makes a nice LED projector in that price range. He'll never have to worry about changing lamps again. http://www.hometheater.com/content/r...-dlp-projector
post #3 of 10
The Runco Q 750 or the the Sim2 M-150 are both very good and in his price range. His range is a little large the JVC is less than half of the Sony. I have a Q and the speed and sharpness is great. In a fully light controlled room it will be fine.

IMO the JVC is not fast enough for sports. IDLA has always had an issue there. It is getting better but DLP is still better for sports. The Sony is faster than the JVC, but any modern DLP will still have less lag and more fluid motion. With LED DLP you get the rich colors of IDLA / LCOS but with the speed of DLP. Also as mentioned you never have to worry about the bulb, so no $300-$1000 replacements which usually leads to watching more on the projector as you do not have to worry about the bulb.

hope that helps.


You may want to ask in the high end forum as well since some of these projectors have been talked about in there.
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
How will the runco Q 750 be w/ some ambient light?
Let's say compared to an Epson 9700?

Already neck deep w/ a dealer/builder.
Could I really buy just the PJ from another place, if i wanted the Sim2(since my dealer does not handle Sim2)
How hard would it be to integrate installation?
post #5 of 10
I am not sure what the Epson calibrates to in the way of light output, but the Q calibrates to about 435-450 without using brilliant color and other things.

This is similiar to JVC's line, but the bulb (LED) do not fade much at all.
Overall the Q is not meant for ambient light.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

I am not sure what the Epson calibrates to in the way of light output, but the Q calibrates to about 435-450 without using brilliant color and other things.

This is similiar to JVC's line, but the bulb (LED) do not fade much at all.
Overall the Q is not meant for ambient light.

The 9700 calibrates to the same numbers in high lamp.
Reply
Reply
post #7 of 10
I would not bother with high-end DLP projectors just for Sports when 30% of viewing is NON-Sports, get a 2-projector setup (DLP for Sports, and a JVC for movies), or I suppose the Sony 1000 would work. Not saying he shouldn't buy a high-end DLP if that is what he prefers, I'm just saying I wouldn't do it based on that one reason.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks All... going w/ the Sim 2 Lumis 3D Solo.
post #9 of 10
If we can help you, let us know.
Reply
Reply
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

Thanks All... going w/ the Sim 2 Lumis 3D Solo.

Just make sure to demo them vs others so you know what you are getting for that high price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › New PJ help.... Mostly sports.