or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Keager's Quad RE XXX 18 Underfloor IB Build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Keager's Quad RE XXX 18 Underfloor IB Build - Page 8

post #211 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Guitar Center would work, but G C and "local pro audio operator" aren't necessarily the same thing. Oftentimes a pro audio/sound &light shop sells over the counter,...they'd hook you up. Plus, establishing a decent rapport with an outfit such as that, would be a good alliance to form.
Best of luck
Kevin

Sounds like a moot point because Keager is out in the back woods of Oregon. Deliverance style...

"Hey boy, you got a pretty baffle."
post #212 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Sounds like a moot point because Keager is out in the back woods of Oregon. Deliverance style...
"Hey boy, you got a pretty baffle."

biggrin.gif
post #213 of 341
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Sounds like a moot point because Keager is out in the back woods of Oregon. Deliverance style...
"Hey boy, you got a pretty baffle."

Maybe not quite THAT remote, but the ones I ordered from PE will be here before I would have a chance to go buy any locally anyway.
post #214 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Sounds like a moot point because Keager is out in the back woods of Oregon. Deliverance style...
"Hey boy, you got a pretty baffle."

Hehe. Oddly enough I just got back to Minnesota from a bike tour in Oregon and found that I was only ~18 miles from Keager during the tour! We took a bus from Eugene to McKenzie bridge and biked over McKenzie pass to Sisters then down to Bend across to Oakridge and back up the Aufderheide to 126 where we hopped on a bus back to Eugene. It was great, beautiful country out there Keager!!!
post #215 of 341
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 View Post

Hehe. Oddly enough I just got back to Minnesota from a bike tour in Oregon and found that I was only ~18 miles from Keager during the tour! We took a bus from Eugene to McKenzie bridge and biked over McKenzie pass to Sisters then down to Bend across to Oakridge and back up the Aufderheide to 126 where we hopped on a bus back to Eugene. It was great, beautiful country out there Keager!!!

Small world! Yeah, its the high desert here with beautiful mountains. Not what most people think Oregon looks like.
post #216 of 341
Thread Starter 
A quick update..or not much of an update. My speakon connectors didn't show up on friday, so I'm still at a standstill for hooking up the new amp. Thats the bad news. The good news is I'm tremendously enjoying the one manifold that is installed. One manifold output wise is sufficient. But the second one will make the bass better distributed through the whole lower level of the house. One thing I am amazed by, as I was listening random music on MOG on my squeezebox touch, is the subsonic tones that you never could hear, but are now shaking the whole floor.It is not manifold vibration, as I have kept my hand on the maifold during loud volumes, and it doesn't vibrate a bit. Kinda catches you off guard you sometimes and makes me jump a bit. Very happy so far. Also ordered the minidsp box to put my 8x8 in. Havent hooked it up yet, but will look much more professional when I do.
post #217 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post

A quick update..or not much of an update. My speakon connectors didn't show up on friday, so I'm still at a standstill for hooking up the new amp.

Keager, what's the latest update my friend?

I'm painting my HT at the moment frommy contractor cutting up my wall to install the dedicated 20amp circuit... (hint hint) =)

The speakon connectors finally show up? How does the amp sound? Second manifold ready to go...ect...
post #218 of 341
Thread Starter 
I have the connectors, have not been able to hook it up yet because i am on call for my job this week. which means working over twelve hour days and working this weekend. There is a possibility that I will have time this weekend to get it hooked up. Or maybe on the 4th, since I have that day off. So, I would say by next weekend i can part with the 14k. Haven't even started with the second manifold, due to being very busy, kids and the simple fact that one manifold is really more than I need. I will probably start on that next weekend.
post #219 of 341
Thread Starter 
Got my new 220v amp wired up with the relay box and everything is working as expected so far. Also got the 8x8 mini dsp installed in the case. looks pretty good, and no fan noise now, though it was barely noticeable before. Haven't had a chance to crank it or eq it, just put a 10hz hpf on to be safe.
C360_2012-07-08-05-56-29.jpg
C360_2012-07-08-08-27-51.jpg
post #220 of 341
Update!?!?

Are you adjusted to the single manifold yet? Any motivation to complete the second?
post #221 of 341
Thread Starter 
I have the motivation for the second, but not the time lately. Tooooo many projects. It will happen eventually.
post #222 of 341
Thread Starter 
I also received today the amp kit I'm going to put together for my left and right Clearwave tower speakers. Classdaudio sds1000. Will do 500w rms bridged to two channels at 8ohms. Very nice looking case and all the trimmings included. All made in the USA!
C360_2012-07-14-17-16-46.jpg
Also trying to figure out something to put in the corner with the manifold to make it less obvious, but not hinder the sound. Right now a wicker couch sits over the top of it. Yes, it is very loud when sitting in the couch.lol
C360_2012-07-14-14-13-43.jpg
C360_2012-07-14-14-13-15.jpg
post #223 of 341
Thread Starter 
My 10000q amp acted up on me today and did the repeated power on every 10 to 20 seconds. I flipped the power switch a few times and continued to do it. I shut it off and went to get a camera to get a video of it to send to sanway. Of course when I got back and turned it on, It worked fine and still is. Sounds like something in the power switch? Unfortunately it is only doing it very intermitantly so it is hard to trouble shoot it. Anyway I took the lid off and looked for bad solder connections, etc... Took a quick photo. That is alot of stuff goin on under the hood! Sorry about the blurry photo.
C360_2012-07-15-14-03-14.jpg
post #224 of 341
Hey is that the new MiniDsp 8x8 optional box/rack unit?

I was looking at buying one when I order my 8x8.
post #225 of 341
Thread Starter 
Yes sir, it is.
post #226 of 341
Nice - that'll be "THE HOT SEAT"!!

Sent by "TheNexus" from the future on SkyNet
post #227 of 341
Yo Lazy Bones! tongue.gif

You ever finish that second manifold? How about some videos of distruction...lol

Man, I just got in my LMS Ultra's from PE and they are the biggest sub's I've ever seen/handled. Looking back at your comparison photos between your old Ultra and the RE XXX, the XXX makes the LMS look like the little brother of the family. Your amp still acting up on you? Or is all well for the time being?
post #228 of 341
Thread Starter 
Unfortunately I haven't even started on the second manifold. Changes in my/my wifes schedule has made free time a thing of the past, but that should be temporary. The amp has not acted up for over three weeks and Sanway has an idea of what the problem is, but they want me to unsolder some diodes offf the PCB to test them. I have little motivation to do that when it has been acting perfectly. If it starts acting up, then I'll take it back apart and get more serious about it. Truely, the one manifold is so satisfactory, that I am happy. But, you know how the upgrade bug will attack. Kinda good I have the second manifold to build when the time and upgradeitis strike. Do you have an enclosure bought or built for your LMS yet? They are a a monster of a sub, especially the first time getting your hands on one!
post #229 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post

Unfortunately I haven't even started on the second manifold. Changes in my/my wifes schedule has made free time a thing of the past, but that should be temporary. The amp has not acted up for over three weeks and Sanway has an idea of what the problem is, but they want me to unsolder some diodes offf the PCB to test them. I have little motivation to do that when it has been acting perfectly. If it starts acting up, then I'll take it back apart and get more serious about it. Truely, the one manifold is so satisfactory, that I am happy. But, you know how the upgrade bug will attack. Kinda good I have the second manifold to build when the time and upgradeitis strike. Do you have an enclosure bought or built for your LMS yet? They are a a monster of a sub, especially the first time getting your hands on one!

Good thinking with the second manifold. I'm really scared I'll want 2 more after I break in this pair. I'll just have to live with it because I have no more room in my panel for another dedicated 20amp circuit.

So get this, I've been waiting for about 2 months now for the LMS Flatpack over at diysoundgroup to come back in stock. The plan was to buy two and have them sitting finished in anticipation of the LMS shipment from PE... Didn't quite workout that way and since no one is willing to return my emails or give ANY kind of an update on the availability of the 4.5cuft Flatpack, I'm planning on heading out to Home Depot today to pickup some wood and a few tools to build the boxes from scratch. It's not ideal for me, but I can't stand looking at them sitting in my HT as a big paper weight.

I'm actually going to reach out to PE because both of them are going to need to be returned/replaced. One has a weird bubble/warp in the cone and the other one made horrible scratching sound when I did some mild free-air testing.
post #230 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Good thinking with the second manifold. I'm really scared I'll want 2 more after I break in this pair. I'll just have to live with it because I have no more room in my panel for another dedicated 20amp circuit.
So get this, I've been waiting for about 2 months now for the LMS Flatpack over at diysoundgroup to come back in stock. The plan was to buy two and have them sitting finished in anticipation of the LMS shipment from PE... Didn't quite workout that way and since no one is willing to return my emails or give ANY kind of an update on the availability of the 4.5cuft Flatpack, I'm planning on heading out to Home Depot today to pickup some wood and a few tools to build the boxes from scratch. It's not ideal for me, but I can't stand looking at them sitting in my HT as a big paper weight.
I'm actually going to reach out to PE because both of them are going to need to be returned/replaced. One has a weird bubble/warp in the cone and the other one made horrible scratching sound when I did some mild free-air testing.

Resident Engineering FTW!!!! haha, I heard too many people have that same issue, I would never buy the ultra, that is why I went with he RE's. Building boxes is no big deal. I am nowhere close to a woodworker, but ive built plenty of sub and speaker boxes. AND you are gonna save even more money doing it yourself. You could also look at having Elemental designs build some for you like Edogg, did. Erich has his hands full right now with the flat packs, CD, SEOS stuff and is just trying to play catch up. None of the flat packs are available yet as they are still being all designed AFAIK.
post #231 of 341
Thread Starter 
Yeah, the REs are built like tanks and assembled in the US. I think manufacturers have the choice of way cheap manufacturing over seas with lots of defects etc. Or more expensive labor in the US with fewer defects. Too bad the RE's arent as versatile as the Lms. They are perfect for my application luckily.
post #232 of 341
I recieved my final 3 XXX's a few weeks ago. I went ahead and took a video of one of them being checked in free air and posted it on the driver excursion thread at DB with some comments. Thought you guys might enjoy.

XXX launch
post #233 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Resident Engineering FTW!!!!

Nice play on words. Is that what the kings of wofferage are calling RE these days???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

XXX launch

Effin Epic!

That makes up for Kyle not getting down in his crawl space to take some excursion vids.
post #234 of 341
Thread Starter 
I havent even been close to that much excursion with mine. Lol
post #235 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post

Yeah, the REs are built like tanks and assembled in the US. I think manufacturers have the choice of way cheap manufacturing over seas with lots of defects etc. Or more expensive labor in the US with fewer defects. Too bad the RE's arent as versatile as the Lms. They are perfect for my application luckily.

That was one of my major delimmas. I wanted my boxes to have a smaller footprint than what the XXX called for. Otherwise, I've always been a fan! Assembled in the US is the cherry on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post

I havent even been close to that much excursion with mine. Lol

Well then... Sounds like that second manifold is that much further off.
post #236 of 341
Quote:
Nice play on words. Is that what the kings of wofferage are calling RE these days???

It is actually, RESONANT Engineering, hehe. But that is what RE stands for. I prefer resident as that is where mine reside, and resonance sounds bad...
post #237 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

It is actually, RESONANT Engineering, hehe. But that is what RE stands for. I prefer resident as that is where mine reside, and resonance sounds bad...

Wanted to give you the opportunity to correct that...lol Respect.

The old me would have called you out quick...
post #238 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post

I havent even been close to that much excursion with mine. Lol

Not surprising...Mine never work that hard in use. Every once in a while I will see them going nuts on some movie I have cranked and get concerned that they are in danger, but then I will que up one of the excursion videos I have taken and be like ...Oh yeah...Nevermind biggrin.gif
post #239 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Not surprising...Mine never work that hard in use. Every once in a while I will see them going nuts on some movie I have cranked and get concerned that they are in danger, but then I will que up one of the excursion videos I have taken and be like ...Oh yeah...Nevermind biggrin.gif

Josh, how do you perform your signal shaping?
post #240 of 341
Short...DCX2496

Long...Currently I'm running an Onkyo PR-SC886 into two DCX2496's which send signal to an Emo XPA-5 for the speakers and 2 K10's for the subs. I run Audyssey on things then disable all of the crossover/distance selections and manually start tweaking using REW , check the speaker levels, (Audyssey is typically not in line with what I measure) and readjust, then go on to: Distance, phase, polarity and crossover settings to get the smoothest handoff mains to subs. After identifying those I start working on further cleaning up the bass response with EQ if needed with an eye towards even response over multiple listening positions and a large area rather than an uber flat response at a single sweet spot. Typically this involves a couple of PEQ bands to tame a few particularily bothersome peaks and a general shelf boost below 20Hz to bring up the ULF range. If a lower knee is needed for the boost I can put in PEQ cuts centered at 20Hz to help drive that down or further tweak the shape. Not perfect but it can be made to work. After EQ the sub channel level needs checked again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Keager's Quad RE XXX 18 Underfloor IB Build