or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Revolution' on NBC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Revolution' on NBC - Page 42

post #1231 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Speaking of Charlie... anyone notice how much less face-time she's gotten since the series resumed?

At first I thought you might have been talking about her forehead. biggrin.gif
post #1232 of 1851
I still maintain that the plot is more of a problem than any particular actress or actor. I want to like this show... but it is difficult to keep my interest up.
post #1233 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Since the elevator has been sealed off for some time, I'm guessing it's some sort of nanite "guard-dog".
It had better not be. That would be just silly.

If the nanites are as small as they've shown them to be, they could just fly up the shaft on their own without access to the elevator. If the elevator were som sleek, modern deal where the doors would seal up with some sort of micro-particle proof gasket, maybe they might get trapped on their floor. However, what we saw was some wooden piece of factory crap we'd see in a building occupied by a character on 21 Jump Street.
post #1234 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

It had better not be. That would be just silly.

If the nanites are as small as they've shown them to be, they could just fly up the shaft on their own without access to the elevator. If the elevator were som sleek, modern deal where the doors would seal up with some sort of micro-particle proof gasket, maybe they might get trapped on their floor. However, what we saw was some wooden piece of factory crap we'd see in a building occupied by a character on 21 Jump Street.

You're applying logic to this show. Now that's silly. tongue.gif

But it has to be nanites, right? That is if something actually attacked the guard. But I suppose he could have triggered some sort of booby trap. Hmmm, booby trap. I just realized how silly that sounds. That's sort of what a bra does if you think about it.
post #1235 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

You're applying logic to this show. Now that's silly. tongue.gif

But it has to be nanites, right? That is if something actually attacked the guard. But I suppose he could have triggered some sort of booby trap. Hmmm, booby trap. I just realized how silly that sounds. That's sort of what a bra does if you think about it.
Silly is one thing - outlandish is another.

Honestly, I'd feel better if the meth addict robot villain from Robocop 2 showed up in the elevator. That would at least explain the horrified express on the woman's face...
post #1236 of 1851
You know, the compound fracture last episode was about as ridiculous as it gets ..

But, all things considered, I'll take me some sci fi I guess about any way I can get it .. for all griping about Terra Nova and V, I watched them too ..
post #1237 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

You know, the compound fracture last episode was about as ridiculous as it gets ..

But, all things considered, I'll take me some sci fi I guess about any way I can get it .. for all griping about Terra Nova and V, I watched them too ..

Yeah, I have to agree. Compounding the fracture was just gratuitous, it didn't really advance the plot in any way since in real life an injury like that without proper care would almost certainly get infected and then you've got real problems. Plus the pain would be ridiculous, again, with no drugs or treatment. It's really ludicrous, even for TV. They could have achieved the same dramatic purpose by giving her a simple break.

It's just another example of a poorly written show. Yet I watch. and will continue to watch next year. My wife bailed a few weeks ago. Coward.
post #1238 of 1851
You know... since the nanites are curing cancer and whatever was wrong with Danny... maybe they can repair compound fractures too and fight infection!
post #1239 of 1851
Or, the break can let Elizabeth Mitchell be written out of the show...
Edited by keenan - 5/10/13 at 5:41pm
post #1240 of 1851
I was hoping Aaron would get written out after resolving the "abadoned wife" storyline, but now it looks like we're stuck with him. At least after almost nine months I can finally remember his name without consulting Wikipedia first.
post #1241 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Yeah, I have to agree. Compounding the fracture was just gratuitous, it didn't really advance the plot in any way since in real life an injury like that without proper care would almost certainly get infected and then you've got real problems. Plus the pain would be ridiculous, again, with no drugs or treatment. It's really ludicrous, even for TV. They could have achieved the same dramatic purpose by giving her a simple break.

It's just another example of a poorly written show. Yet I watch. and will continue to watch next year. My wife bailed a few weeks ago. Coward.

That's exactly where I was coming from .. and to top it all off, she smashed one of the thugs in the head and was moving around the back of the van .. and what's his name the Google dude pushed the bone back in .. ??

Even with MY high tolerance for belief suspension, it was incredibly sloppy ..
post #1242 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Speaking of information, we now know why they've been keeping Aaron around for the past 15 episodes. He's important somehow. Maybe that's why the Matheson's were keeping him alive. No explanation yet for his tubby-ness.
His picture is in the Tower Book, so he obviously has some important information.
post #1243 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

You know... since the nanites are curing cancer and whatever was wrong with Danny... maybe they can repair compound fractures too and fight infection!
I hate to say it but you are probably correct. Danny had a little capsule beneath his skin. It was probably planted at the exact location that the nanites needed to focus upon to keep him alive. The capsule is a nanite attracter/concentrator/re-programmer. It will soon be placed next to the break in Elizabeth's bone.
Edited by Viventis - 5/11/13 at 4:43am
post #1244 of 1851
The below comment from a NBC upfront article explains a lot about this show, it never was meant to have any seriousness about it,
Quote:
"Revolution," which producers have always maintained is a family show, will get the chance to prove that by taking over the Wednesday 8 p.m. hour leading into "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," which NBC continues to view as a 9 p.m. show. The 10 p.m. hour will go to the new version of "Ironside," starring Blair Underwood.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/news/nbcs-2013-2014-schedule-sends-revolution-and-parenthood-on-the-move#EhsqTxzZTtaeFhRg.99

It's a family show stuck in an adult time slot.
post #1245 of 1851
What qualifies as a "family" slot? 0800 on Saturdays? tongue.gif
post #1246 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

You know, the compound fracture last episode was about as ridiculous as it gets ..

But, all things considered, I'll take me some sci fi I guess about any way I can get it .. for all griping about Terra Nova and V, I watched them too ..


I watched both seasons of "V" and was a little disappointed. I skipped out on Terra Nova because of the reviews. I had to drop Revolution a few weeks back, it took all I had to make it that far with the silliness about the band of misfits taking on the Monroe Republic (similar to "V" and with Elizabeth Mitchell too), etc. Hey, I lasted longer with Revolution than with The Event or Flashforward, also great premises but sloppy sloppy execution. There are such great macro issues to discuss that go untouched in favor of over-the-top swordfights, crossbows, gunplay and nonsensical interactions between the motley crew.

HBO , or even a cable channel like FX or AMC, desperately needs to take on this genre and give it some authenticity. The sci-fi shows they've been putting on network tv, egads! So much missed potential....
post #1247 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

I watched both seasons of "V" and was a little disappointed. I skipped out on Terra Nova because of the reviews. I had to drop Revolution a few weeks back, it took all I had to make it that far with the silliness about the band of misfits taking on the Monroe Republic (similar to "V" and with Elizabeth Mitchell too), etc. Hey, I lasted longer with Revolution than with The Event or Flashforward, also great premises but sloppy sloppy execution. There are such great macro issues to discuss that go untouched in favor of over-the-top swordfights, crossbows, gunplay and nonsensical interactions between the motley crew.

HBO , or even a cable channel like FX or AMC, desperately needs to take on this genre and give it some authenticity. The sci-fi shows they've been putting on network tv, egads! So much missed potential....

You might take a look at "Defiance" ..

I stayed with V most likely because of Morena Baccarin ..

I had the opportunity to meet her a while back and she is perhaps one of the Worlds most perfect women .. smile.gif

post #1248 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

she is perhaps one of the Worlds most perfect women .. smile.gif


Without question. I'm currently working through season 1 of Homeland and wowza. She is drop dead gorgeous!
post #1249 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

The below comment from a NBC upfront article explains a lot about this show, it never was meant to have any seriousness about it,
It's a family show stuck in an adult time slot.

Ha! With the uptick in violence and a few scenes of partial nudity, I'd like to see their description of an adult show. Guess those things will have to go away at 8:00. Too bad, those are about the only two entertaining aspects of the show.
post #1250 of 1851
More spinning of the wheels last night regarding the plot, except for seeing that probe being able to heal a broken bone in a matter of seconds. In a show of all kinds of plot holes, is that the "jump the shark" moment?
post #1251 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

More spinning of the wheels last night regarding the plot, except for seeing that probe being able to heal a broken bone in a matter of seconds. In a show of all kinds of plot holes, is that the "jump the shark" moment?

Yeah, that was ridiculous - but only if you want to keep the show in the realm of the plausible. I could kinda' buy the miraculous healing properties of these magical nanites if the process had taken place over a period of weeks, or at least a couple of days. Cells just can't physically replicate that fast under even the most optimistic projections of future medical miracles.

There's really no reason they couldn't have drug that process out as well. Aaron could have foraged for food & water and they could have waited a few days while the magical nanites magically healed the leg (and even that would be at super-speed) before they were discovered just to give it a veneer of plausibility. But honestly, they really don't appear to care. The show's been renewed - so there! Take that, you curmudgeons who meekly request some small connection to physical reality. This is a family show, and relationships are all that matter.

Which leads me back to my theory that this amazing nanite future-tech is so far beyond what we can even contemplate there's only one answer: aliens! Mark my words, for they shall be prophetic. tongue.gif
post #1252 of 1851
Damn it Charlie survived a whole bell tower collapse, I guess she's unkillable (unlike Monroe's lieutenants)

So all of the sudden Aaron knew how to reprogram the device to heal a broken bone with basic code.. wow
post #1253 of 1851
I found myself fast-forwarding through large chunks of this episode.
post #1254 of 1851
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. The nanites are the best thing about this show. You want sci-fi you got it! If the bone repair had been shown on Fringe nobody would be complaining. Over 17 years into the future it's more than possible that a Walternate appeared and designed supernanotech. I want more sci-fi concepts like that. The most stupid thing about the bone repair wasn't the fact the nanites did it so quickly, but the ridiculous circuit board and Mac programming combo that just happened to be lying around. Where did he get a plastic cradle and probe terminal that fit perfectly? It would have been more believable if it had used a typical micro-USB port.

Of all the post-apocalyptic shows on TV I think Revolution's world is by far the most interesting. You have different factions with different levels of technology and laws and nanotech which can be activated to do anything. From destroying tumors to frying people or eviscerating people in an elevator. The show is a hell of a lot more exciting than the trudgery and procedural of Defiance. They have an entire redesigned world full of alien races and concepts in view and barely use it.

The one thing that lets this show down is that the writers are woeful. The dialog is hilariously predictable and cliche ("Monroe is a rabid dog" - don't say it! - "and I'm going to put him down." Gah! rolleyes.gif) and the characters forced into the same dumbness that drags down shows like Falling Skies. Another future where ammunition is a limited resource yet the characters just click full auto and throw it away.

"I'm going to kill you son."
"I hate you too dad."
"I've changed my mind. I'm going to save you instead."
"Still hate you dad."
"Yeah. I should have killed you. I hate you again."
post #1255 of 1851
Quite surprised this LOST wannabe is still floating; too bad the writing is so poor.
post #1256 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. The nanites are the best thing about this show. You want sci-fi you got it! If the bone repair had been shown on Fringe nobody would be complaining.

There is no "science" in this fiction. Incorporating technology concepts into a show doesn't make it science.

They may as well end every battle scene with the words "and a giant robot monster comes in and stomps on the bad guys...". There would be just about as much science to it.

Further, Fringe Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
takes place in an alternate universe.
They get to bend the rules.

The fact is, for SciFi to be good SciFi, it has to exist plausably within it's own environment. That's why Star Trek took place a few hundred years from now. That's why a lot of SciFi takes placde on other planets or involves visitations of aliens with superior technology. We don't just go from our existing infrastructure suddenly to nanites that can take away power from the world in our current world with our current tech. It's just not happening.
post #1257 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Further, Fringe takes place in an alternate universe. They get to bend the rules.

The fact is, for SciFi to be good SciFi, it has to exist plausably within it's own environment.

What a load of semantic bull. rolleyes.gif

So what you are saying is that the writings of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne are not good sci-fi, because the technology they write about is completely implausible in both their time and ours.

And Fringe does not take place solely in an alternate universe. The majority of the tech used on Fringe was designed by Walter Bishop or William Bell in our universe in this time. So unless you're positing that someone somewhere in the real world has designed a lens that can see into a parallel dimension, or a device that allows you to tap into the mind of a dead human etc. the nanotechnology is actually more plausible. Because variants of that do exist.
post #1258 of 1851
I'm still watching, but, no doubt, the writing is pretty poor.

Is there anyone who didn't immediately figure out the whole plot line with Monroe's military buddy?
post #1259 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

What a load of semantic bull. rolleyes.gif

So what you are saying is that the writings of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne are not good sci-fi, because the technology they write about is completely implausible in both their time and ours.
Where did I say that?

What I said was:
Quote:
for SciFi to be good SciFi, it has to exist plausably within it's own environment.

The environment of Revolution is a power outage on planet Earth caused by nanites in 2012 (which don't exist in 2012 on planet Earth) and 15 years later the bulk of the population has done nothing but plant flowers in non-working cars, stare at blank I-phone screens and not try to build anything that could make their lives easier.

Then, to top it off, you've got an entire nation outside of the Monroe dictatorship where people are free from random searches and actually do have some rudimentary labor saving devices (though nowhere on the level they should have) and people actually choose to continue to stay in Monroe-land? What kind of idiots are these people?

Maybe if Charlie's disfunctional relatives had moved to Texas or something, Monroe wouldn't have gotten the first pendent, found Mom and built a device that allowed them superior air power. Then good old Mom who runs off whenever it suits here decides to start destroying pendents left and right that could help the rebels level the playing field. Good job on that.

The fact is, these nanites have become the equivalent of Lost's magic cave: the control the fate of the world, can heal anyone and we have to go to some special location to control them. I'm waiting for them to turn a frozen donkey wheel to move the tower...
post #1260 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Where did I say that?

What you said was:

"for SciFi to be good SciFi, it has to exist plausably within it's own environment."

H.G. Wells wrote "The Time Machine" in 1895. Time travel is physically impossible. The technology required to even come close to approaching the areas of physics necessary to contemplate such a device was implausible. Ergo, "The Time Machine" is a bad science-fiction novel.

Your same rules of implausibility apply to multiple works of acknowledged greats of science-fiction.

The only difference between bad sci-fi and good sci-fi is the skill of it's creator. The setting and the parallels with the "real" world are inconsequential.

Quote:
What I said was:
The environment of Revolution is a power outage on planet Earth caused by nanites in 2012 (which don't exist in 2012 on planet Earth) and 15 years later the bulk of the population has done nothing but plant flowers in non-working cars, stare at blank I-phone screens and not try to build anything that could make their lives easier.

As far as you know. The rest of the world has not been revealed, just the backwards Monroe society and the steam-driven Georgia. And again, nanotechnology is no more far fetched than any other sci-fi concept. In fact it has more legitimate grounding than much of what passes for science-fiction today. The research is already being done and nanomachines that can absorb specific types of energy is reality, not fiction. So going back to your earlier point, there is "science" in this fiction. Not that it matters for the purposes of the show.

There is more chance of nanotechnology appearing that can attack cancer cells and is self-powered and self-replicating in the next 20 years than there is of the implausible notion that humans would be living on other planets, traveling between stars and building androids that are almost indistinguishable from humans. That's what Philip K. Dick imagined we would be doing in 1992.

The question of whether Revolution is good or bad "science-fiction" isn't the issue. Regardless of how implausible you find the "science" the nanotech is science-fiction and that was my initial comment. Just like Fringe, it's a cool idea that has possibilities to do cool things and is no less implausible than Walter's dimension mirror (from 1985 incidentally), his atomic wall diffuser, his teleporter, the cortexiphan super-drug etc. Accept the latter and there is no reason to not accept the former.

The bigger science-fiction ideas this show has the better. In fact if it goes all out like Fringe does then that would be a massive improvement. Even if it's still populated by dull cliche-spewing characters.

Giant robotic armored Mechs hidden in the tower vs. Monroe and his muskets and drones? Bring it on! I don't care how implausible it is for giant robots to be in use in 20 years. It looks like it will do just fine for Pacific Rim, so why not here?
Edited by VisionOn - 5/14/13 at 7:19pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Revolution' on NBC