or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Revolution' on NBC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Revolution' on NBC - Page 6

post #151 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Obviously, the purpose of the show is to examine human nature in the face of a loss of technology, for whatever reason.

Minor nit here. In this series, you can have all the technology you want, as long as it doesn't need electricity.
post #152 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Minor nit here. In this series, you can have all the technology you want, as long as it doesn't need electricity.

Based on what they showed tonight, electricity exists (showed a computer running and communicating with another device). After what I saw tonight, it doesn't look all that interesting to me. I'll give it 3 episodes to change my mind though.
post #153 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Based on what they showed tonight, electricity exists (showed a computer running and communicating with another device). After what I saw tonight, it doesn't look all that interesting to me. I'll give it 3 episodes to change my mind though.

I wasn't going to spoil that part.

Having not seen what you saw, I don't know what was shown. There is a small device that, it seems, is the key to getting electricity working again. That scene is a result of that device. Still do not know where the electricity came from to provide power that that little area.

We shall see how this all works out.
post #154 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I wasn't going to spoil that part.
Having not seen what you saw, I don't know what was shown. There is a small device that, it seems, is the key to getting electricity working again. That scene is a result of that device. Still do not know where the electricity came from to provide power that that little area.
We shall see how this all works out.
They showed that device in the trailer right before the computer was used. It's been discussed from the beginning of the thread.

Plus, like you said, where did the power come from? Exactly how big is this "anti-anti-electricity" bubble supposed to be to cover both the computer and the source of the electricity? Finally how far does the protection have to reach to cover the lines the message is sent out on? Data lines require power to transmit, repeaters require power to repeat and switches and hubs require power to route and switch internet traffic.

That's a lot to ask from a device smaller than a garage door opener.
post #155 of 1851
The electricity goes out and everyone thinks they are Zorro...? Really... ? Wow...
post #156 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

They showed that device in the trailer right before the computer was used. It's been discussed from the beginning of the thread.

Didn't make any sense back then. But after watching the upfront video where it showed the device getting a "SD card" after data was downloaded to it before it lost power. Then it being used 15 years later. But, I have to assume that it was used before as well.

The extended preview should show up on YouTube, so I'll be looking to see that.
post #157 of 1851
Massive brain fart on my part, plus I didn't see a mention of it here, but the trailer is on YouTube and the length seems to match what was played at the upfront.;

I was expecting a 6 minute extended preview and so far the only thing in a 2+ minute extended preview. Not so extended if it is less than the trailer.
post #158 of 1851
Just watched the YouTube version that NBC had uploaded and noticed a real funny change.

As they go past Wrigley Field, the bottom red area of the sign has text in it in the upfront version.

The text: 2012 World Series Champions
post #159 of 1851
As mrvideo said, save the shell casings .. and nothing prevents humanity from going back to black powder or cap and ball ..

Unless another member knows different, I'm voting for this thread as being the longest on a TV show and most critical ever created before the show actually comes out ..
post #160 of 1851

As for guns, in the preview Charlies father gets shot with a gun.  So yea, they are still around.  But as noted eventually ammo starts to run low and "normal everyday folks" will run out.  Thus bows and crossbows become more common place for the non-elite/government types.  And swords too, why not?  If I was in this new savage world with no guns I'd certainly build up my sword skills and a crossbow, wouldn't you to survive?

post #161 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Oh and another error in what happens when electricity is "turned off":
In the promo and preview, you'll see a plane fall out of the sky, at night, with all of its navigation lights still working. Oops!

Not to mention the planes just don't fall straight down if they lose power, the Hudson river captain should have been instructing the more..
post #162 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Unless another member knows different, I'm voting for this thread as being the longest on a TV show and most critical ever created before the show actually comes out ..
Well it's an NBC series- so you better get your comments in now cause it's sure to have a short leash on that network.
post #163 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Plus, like you said, where did the power come from? Exactly how big is this "anti-anti-electricity" bubble supposed to be to cover both the computer and the source of the electricity? Finally how far does the protection have to reach to cover the lines the message is sent out on? Data lines require power to transmit, repeaters require power to repeat and switches and hubs require power to route and switch internet traffic.
Nobody complains on Star Trek when they use their futuristic tricorders to "download" data from primitive devices or to interact with computers from other species, often by inductive nature. There have been several episodes where simply placing a Tricorder on top of a computer from the ancient days (read: present era, for us 21st century-folk) and it just instantly has access to those files, wirelessly. No cables, no nothin, even if the old computer was never designed to interact that way. They also "beam" energy to turn on remote outposts or observatories that have no juice.

All of this is taken at face value.

My point is we don't know how these magic pendants that allow electronics to operate works, and as long as they don't explain that in-show, it can be a successful macguffin.
post #164 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Well it's an NBC series- so you better get your comments in now cause it's sure to have a short leash on that network.

Come on now, NBC does not cancel every season of every show immediately .. it takes viewers to keep a show going ..
post #165 of 1851
A lot will depend on who is creating the show and given that it is not an NBC/Universal TV production but a Warner TV product means the leash will likely be shorter.
post #166 of 1851

This show has my interest and I may watch the first episode but will certainly just DVR the next 4-5 and see if it'll even make it the full season before investing any more time in it.  It's sad it's come down to that but that's pretty much what I do with most new series.  Sad.

post #167 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Nobody complains on Star Trek when they use their futuristic tricorders to "download" data from primitive devices or to interact with computers from other species, often by inductive nature. There have been several episodes where simply placing a Tricorder on top of a computer from the ancient days (read: present era, for us 21st century-folk) and it just instantly has access to those files, wirelessly. No cables, no nothin, even if the old computer was never designed to interact that way. They also "beam" energy to turn on remote outposts or observatories that have no juice.
All of this is taken at face value.
My point is we don't know how these magic pendants that allow electronics to operate works, and as long as they don't explain that in-show, it can be a successful macguffin.
That's a far different situation.

1) We're talking somewhere around 24th Century technology in Star Trek. You can break a lot of technology rules that way.

2) I can actually transfer data wirelessly between my PDA and my laptop via Bluetooth, but that's not what was happening here. The person in the video was clearly instant messaging someone at another location, not sending data machine to machine in the same room. That means that handy little device has to undue the dampening field or whatever it is the entire path of the network connection or it would die as soon as the data leaves the zone of coverage.

Sorry, but while the idea that you could make electricity not work is likely possible, the idea that you could override that over a computer network with a device that fits in you hand without turning power on for miles around is certainly BS.

Now, maybe they haven't shown enough to give us the right impression about this (after all, we all had the wrong impression of why the folks in Terra Nova went back to the dinosaur era), but they're starting out with a major believability issue here.
post #168 of 1851
I'm extremely surprised you're fighting me so hard on this issue. Especially before the first episode has even aired.
post #169 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I'm extremely surprised you're fighting me so hard on this issue. Especially before the first episode has even aired.

Yeah, it's kinda creepy .. I don't understand the point of it all either ..
post #170 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I'm extremely surprised you're fighting me so hard on this issue. Especially before the first episode has even aired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Yeah, it's kinda creepy .. I don't understand the point of it all either ..
Well, first of all, unless you actually made the show, I'm not fighting you.

Second, I'm not fighting. I'm countering your arguments.

Finally, I want a good SciFi show, but apparently the networks suck at making them these days. They either fail to promote them properly to make people want to tune in, or they fall back to slack-jawed concepts intermixed with silly teen romances and preposterous dialog.

I just fear we're going to see the end of SciFi if they keep feeding audiences nonsense, letting it fail, then blaming the genre instead of the individual production.

The thing is, I'm as hungry for good scifi as anyone. I really hope this turns out to be really good. However, I'm seeing some troubling signs before the show has even aired. That's not a good thing.
post #171 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Well, first of all, unless you actually made the show, I'm not fighting you.
Second, I'm not fighting. I'm countering your arguments.
Finally, I want a good SciFi show, but apparently the networks suck at making them these days. They either fail to promote them properly to make people want to tune in, or they fall back to slack-jawed concepts intermixed with silly teen romances and preposterous dialog.
I just fear we're going to see the end of SciFi if they keep feeding audiences nonsense, letting it fail, then blaming the genre instead of the individual production.
The thing is, I'm as hungry for good scifi as anyone. I really hope this turns out to be really good. However, I'm seeing some troubling signs before the show has even aired. That's not a good thing.

When someone goes out of their way to examine anything closely enough, trouble can generally be found .. why not just kick back and enjoy the ride when it gets here .. ?? Or not ..

I continue to be amazed at the sheer number of posts on a show that has not one minute yet of actual episode time ..

I've been a sci fi fan since the early 1960's .. there are few, maybe no, shows that could not be picked apart ..
post #172 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

When someone goes out of their way to examine anything closely enough, trouble can generally be found .. why not just kick back and enjoy the ride when it gets here .. ?? Or not ..
I continue to be amazed at the sheer number of posts on a show that has not one minute yet of actual episode time ..
I've been a sci fi fan since the early 1960's .. there are few, maybe no, shows that could not be picked apart ..
Normally, I would agree.

However, they produced a trailer which revealed the device in question. I'm questioning the validity of such a device.

They also went out of their way to point out the got some sort of scientific "seal of approval" on their technology. I'm calling BS and assuming it's like any one of 6000 other shows out there that have claimed to be "accurate" through the use of consultants.

It reminds of the "inspired by some event that is based on something that might have been true" thing that movies and TV shows like to use.

I'm actually how disturbed that some of you are so quick to defend the premise.

It's no wonder that over in HOTP, there's news that Snookie is getting another season on TV.
post #173 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Normally, I would agree.
However, they produced a trailer which revealed the device in question. I'm questioning the validity of such a device.
They also went out of their way to point out the got some sort of scientific "seal of approval" on their technology. I'm calling BS and assuming it's like any one of 6000 other shows out there that have claimed to be "accurate" through the use of consultants.
It reminds of the "inspired by some event that is based on something that might have been true" thing that movies and TV shows like to use.
I'm actually how disturbed that some of you are so quick to defend the premise.
It's no wonder that over in HOTP, there's news that Snookie is getting another season on TV.

You see, this is exactly what we're talking about ... disturbed .. ?? calling BS .. ?? Snookie .. ?? If you would read your posts with an impartial mind and quit trying to get the last word in edgewise, life would be great .. but, I doubt that's going to happen .. how about a dare .. ?? I'll bet you won't be able to resist replying .. let's see .. I promise I won't if you do the same ..
post #174 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Not to mention the planes just don't fall straight down if they lose power, the Hudson river captain should have been instructing the more..

While I caught that the plane was falling, I let that one slide, though I probably shouldn't have.

Keep in mind that the plane that was landed in the river still had power to control the flight surfaces. No mechanical control these days.

So, when the power is removed from planes in flight, the control surfaces, I suspect, would freeze in the position they were at when power was removed. I seriously doubt that a plane would fall spinning, but would end up taking a nose dive to the ground.

Planes that still had surface control should be able to glide to a very rough landing.
post #175 of 1851
Well, let me just say that the AVS audience for this show won't share too much overlap with 'Sookie!'. Doubt that you'll see many of the same posters on those show's respective threads. tongue.gif

The point I made above is a serious issue. We already have people trying to pick apart the concept by attempting to shoehorn it into a version of scientific reality that they feel is inviolate. They did the same thing with 'Flash Forward' and 'The Event', and a dozen other "high-concept" sci-fi shows. They got so lost in the trees they failed to notice the forest.

We need to give this show some slack going in or we'll inevitably cause the same fate that befell those other shows (along with 'Terra Nova' which was shifting onto the right track about the same time it was canceled). Obviously, their premise is flawed from what we can glean from the tidbits the network has thrown out so far. rolleyes.gif

Let's see how they develop the characters and methodically reel out the plotlines before we declare we're "going to delete it from our DVR", smugly satisfied that we've shot down another high-concept science fiction/adventure show from a major broadcast network that didn't quite live up to our expectations. Because cutting off our nose to spite our face is what we sci-fi "fans" do, isn't it? wink.gif
post #176 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Well, let me just say that the AVS audience for this show won't share too much overlap with 'Sookie!'. Doubt that you'll see many of the same posters on those show's respective threads. tongue.gif
The point I made above is a serious issue. We already have people trying to pick apart the concept by attempting to shoehorn it into a version of scientific reality that they feel is inviolate. They did the same thing with 'Flash Forward' and 'The Event', and a dozen other "high-concept" sci-fi shows. They got so lost in the trees they failed to notice the forest.
We need to give this show some slack going in or we'll inevitably cause the same fate that befell those other shows (along with 'Terra Nova' which was shifting onto the right track about the same time it was canceled). Obviously, their premise is flawed from what we can glean from the tidbits the network has thrown out so far. rolleyes.gif
Let's see how they develop the characters and methodically reel out the plotlines before we declare we're "going to delete it from our DVR", smugly satisfied that we've shot down another high-concept science fiction/adventure show from a major broadcast network that didn't quite live up to our expectations. Because cutting off our nose to spite our face is what we sci-fi "fans" do, isn't it? wink.gif
Serious issue??!! That was my laugh for this morning. It's a TV show. If you don't like it, don't watch it. However, I plan to give it a chance and then make a decision, rather than deciding if I like it before it's ever even aired.
post #177 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Serious issue??!! That was my laugh for this morning. It's a TV show. If you don't like it, don't watch it. However, I plan to give it a chance and then make a decision, rather than deciding if I like it before it's ever even aired.

I'm not quite sure what you're "laughing" about in my post since it appears we're on the same page. My issue is with the nitpickers who dissect and criticize every word of a genre show plotline in an attempt to show they're more clever than the show's writers and would certainly have done a better job if only they had that gig. By turning off the casual viewer who may not have even noticed or cared about these alleged scientific discrepancies, they can actually help propel the show's cancellation. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Then they complain about never having any genre shows on TV. rolleyes.gif

Like you, I plan on watching it, but the critics appear to have started their kvetching really early this time. Not a good sign.

Based on the previews, I expect this show to be sort of a cross between 'Falling Skies' and 'Jericho' (with maybe a little 'Hunger Games' thrown in), both of which I enjoy(ed) for what they were. I liked 'Flash Forward' and 'The Event' and 'Caprica' and 'Stargate: Universe' as well. Were they BSG-caliber? No, but we're lucky if we get one of those per decade. I don't expect this show to be that ambitious or that good, but I like to see a broadcast network take a big swing on a serialized genre show in spite of their track record. I'm amazed that they're still trying.
post #178 of 1851
It doesn't matter the genre. Tv is all about the characters firstmost. Then its about the storyline and how those characters react to whats happening. As long as they develop and change in a believable way and the plot has some credence I don't need every point explained. Never really read science fiction for the science anyways:)
post #179 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

It doesn't matter the genre. Tv is all about the characters firstmost. Then its about the storyline and how those characters react to whats happening. As long as they develop and change in a believable way and the plot has some credence I don't need every point explained. Never really read science fiction for the science anyways:)
Well said.wink.gif
post #180 of 1851
I'll give this show a shot, unless it's based on some kind of mystery. No way I'm getting wrapped up in another JJ Abrams project like LOST where the writers are just as baffled about what they're doing as the rest of us.

Does anyone know if this show has some far reaching mystery?

If it's a straightforward serial sc-fi drama, I'm all for it. No "man behind the curtain" hocus pocus, please.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Revolution' on NBC