or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Revolution' on NBC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Revolution' on NBC - Page 7

post #181 of 1851
Looks like it will be LOST meets FlashForward equals snooze-fest.

I only hope that when the apocalypse comes, the hearty band of rouges I'm stuck with to repopulate the planet will be as pretty as these. biggrin.gif
post #182 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotd8 View Post

Looks like it will be LOST meets FlashForward equals snooze-fest.

Count me out then. I like sci-fi mysteries in movies or books, where the writer has an opportunity to complete the entire story before offering it up to the world. I don't like them on TV, where they almost never come together cleanly.

There's no reason a post-apocalyptic story has to revolve around a mystery though. It could easily be written as a straightforward science-fiction drama/adventure where there is no "great unknown" hocus pocus going on.
post #183 of 1851
boy the commercials sure make this look like the hunger games-lite.
post #184 of 1851
People who like sf hate every sf show. It seems to be part of the job description.

People who just like to watch TV learn that the sf fans hate the show, figure it must not be very good, and don't watch it. Torpedo delivered.

My reaction to all this negativity is to reverse my position on hating the show because it's such a blatant ripoff of the Emberverse series. I will watch it, and I will encourage everyone I know to watch it, and also encourage them to read Stirling's books, and to engage in spirited group discussions about what they'd do if electricity stopped working, and what skills they would bring to a quasi-18th Century civilization.
post #185 of 1851
Based on who is involved, I am guessing there is a smoke monster guarding every power generator who mysteriously disappears after the first season and turns out all the power generators have time travelled to the stone age...
post #186 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

People who like sf hate every sf show. It seems to be part of the job description.
.

I disagree with this. Good scifi, gritty scifi, tongue in cheek scifi is appreciated. I've enjoyed Star Trek, Lost, Farscape, BSG, Dr. Who. Heck I enjoyed Buffy and Angel. All varied greatly in concept and how far a stretch the premise was, but something clicked that made them watchable. Technical flaws will be ignored if the writers/producers put good characters, dialogue and actors on screen. Sometimes it takes time and I see a lot of geeks here willing to keep tuning into shows hoping that the shows do improve. I agree that its harsh to totally blow this show off due to the founding premise. Heck a lot of folks believed that there were surviviors on a plane crash on the preimier of Lost. How credible was that??? Good writing, story arcs and character development will overcome shortcomings on the tech side.
post #187 of 1851

^And adding to that, genre fans have simply been burned soooo many times. All we want is a good, solid show. Interesting characters, premises that make sense-within the confines of the story. Yet, time and time again,we're given drek compared to the quality found on non genre series. ABC's V should have been watchable. Lizards from space that want us for dinner. But we got a very boring hour, that became a muddled mess. I mean, they even messed up Knight Rider. C'mon. How do you make a reboot show about a guy with a talking supercar bad? See NBC's version from a couple of seasons back.

The reaction-pre show snap judgments, is an unfortunate, but understandable result of seeing shows with genuine promise devolve into convoluted messes, over and over.

post #188 of 1851
And what made the great shows great? BSG and DS9 and Lost and all the rest had no credibility as science fiction. They were just as capable of having airplanes fall incorrectly as any other TV show.

They had characters and dialog and stories and were compelling, that touched on bigger issues, that resonated with our own lives.

Revolution could have all that too. But we've already lit the tinder, and we're just waiting for the witch to catch fire.
post #189 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

But we've already lit the tinder, and we're just waiting for the witch to catch fire.

Instead of burning a witch, can we burn one of the writers? I have nothing against the writers of this particular show (not yet anyway), but I doubt we're going to be able to catch Damon Lindelof or Chris Carter.
post #190 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

Instead of burning a witch, can we burn one of the writers? .

biggrin.gif
post #191 of 1851
Wouldn't it be great if the first scene of the pilot is a shot of Snake Plissken punching 666 into a remote control device and pushing the button.
post #192 of 1851
NBC has released the first episode online.
post #193 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

NBC has released the first episode online.
It showed up on U**net about four hours ago too....
post #194 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

NBC has released the first episode online.

It is also on VOD in HD, on Comcast at least.
post #195 of 1851
I'm going to watch the show and hope for the best. Expectation set on low.

Re lucifer's hammer, I haven't read that but I'd love to see a movie or miniseries made from Forge of God by Greg Bear. That'd be pretty epic.
post #196 of 1851
Watched the 1st episode.. Engrossing television. If you can accept the premise it might be quite a ride.
post #197 of 1851
I had low expectations, but actually liked it a lot.
post #198 of 1851
I liked it as well.

What I didn't like was that damn annoying snipe after every break and the constant premiere bug. We get it, it premiers on the 17th. We aren't stupid. mad.gif
post #199 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I liked it as well.
What I didn't like was that damn annoying snipe after every break and the constant premiere bug. We get it, it premiers on the 17th. We aren't stupid. mad.gif

Advertising the episode you're watching no less. One really has to wonder at the logic. I mean, wouldn't anyone making the effort to watch ondemand or on line also make the effort to find out the broadcast time?
post #200 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I don't.


All it takes is another one of those, and we could be without power for months if not years because the big transformers that handle the grid cannot easily be replaced.

Why would all these transformers need to be replaced?

I do understand electricity, (for the most part) but, I don't understand your statement.

While sunspot activity can, and at some point undoubtedly will, disrupt communications temporarily, I see no reason for widespread, massive damage.
post #201 of 1851
What I don't get is why, apparently, 80-90% of the population seemed to die due to the loss of electricity.
post #202 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

What I don't get is why, apparently, 80-90% of the population seemed to die due to the loss of electricity.
More likely starvation caused by the side effects of loss of electricity/tech in modern farming.

One thing I was thinking- older mechanical injection diesel engines would still work (electric glow plugs can be replaced with a manually heated equivalent device) without electricity....


All that aside... I enjoyed the pilot episode too.
post #203 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

What I don't get is why, apparently, 80-90% of the population seemed to die due to the loss of electricity.
You are forgetting many socio economic systems powered by electricity. Just think about all the prozac zombies out there with no meds. Not saying 80-90% of the population dies because of that but that failure would cascade. Part of it too is all about America, if we go you go.
post #204 of 1851
If any one wants a great read on the Revolution scenario ..

S.M. Stirling's .. "Dies the Fire" books

"One Second After" .. William R. Forstchen

et al
post #205 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

What I don't get is why, apparently, 80-90% of the population seemed to die due to the loss of electricity.

Loss of medication. No way to produce any more or get your supply. Nursing homes would be full of dead, a huge portion of the population would die without their medications. A lot of medications, some you think of as minor, would cause people ot die without it. There are milltions and millions on blood perssure medicine alone.

Then add to that starvation from no food, unsanitary conditions, infections/accidents, natural deaths, suicides/accidents, fighting/war breaks out, etc. etc.

Read One Second After. The author did a lot of research and explains it in detail, it is really a sobering momment when you realize what would happen.
post #206 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Loss of medication. No way to produce any more or get your supply. Nursing homes would be full of dead, a huge portion of the population would die without their medications. A lot of medications, some you think of as minor, would cause people ot die without it. There are milltions and millions on blood perssure medicine alone.

Actually, if people went back to a healthy, sustainable, agricultural based diet with a heavy reliance on manual labor they would no longer need a lot of those medications. Funny how that works.
post #207 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Actually, if people went back to a healthy, sustainable, agricultural based diet with a heavy reliance on manual labor they would no longer need a lot of those medications. Funny how that works.
This is why the people who make it are so badass in those movies.
post #208 of 1851
I'm reminded of The Stand also. You slip and fall in the shower and break your leg. No one comes to help and you starve to death where you fell. I second One Second After also. It's a quick read and very good. I hope the movie is good as it has a lot of potential.
post #209 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Actually, if people went back to a healthy, sustainable, agricultural based diet with a heavy reliance on manual labor they would no longer need a lot of those medications. Funny how that works.
I agree with you- but there's just too many of us on the planet to do that.
Now if you kill off 80-90% of the population it would probably be possible- like in the early days (pre 1800's) of the USA..
post #210 of 1851
I was not originally going to watch this but liked the pilot.

To me, this is more like The Event/Jericho than Lost/ Flash Forward

My expectations are low but we will see how this holds up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Revolution' on NBC