or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Revolution' on NBC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Revolution' on NBC - Page 18

post #511 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Thought the show was as crazy as it gets. But it's no crazier than the comment about killing someone at 100 yards with a crossbow. Good luck!
100 yards would be a stretch, but with all those trees around, they ought to be able to get much closer than that.

It just seems silly to send Charlie into harms way with an untested single use weapon that could just as easily be detected or blow up on her. For that matter, even if they wanted to go that route, give someone else the crossbow and have her walk in looking unarmed so she wouldn't start out as a possible threat to them. Then she could just claim to be lost instead of making up some hogwash story about hunting and getting lost.
post #512 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post


It just seems silly to send Charlie into harms way with an untested single use weapon that could just as easily be detected or blow up on her. For that matter, even if they wanted to go that route, give someone else the crossbow and have her walk in looking unarmed so she wouldn't start out as a possible threat to them. Then she could just claim to be lost instead of making up some hogwash story about hunting and getting lost.

That was my exact thought. Why is she going in there armed? What if they're the type to shoot first and ask questions later? After all, there are rebels running around attacking the militia with any weapon they can find including, presumably, crossbows.

But then it does keep her weapon handy when the inevitible mayhem commenses.
post #513 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

That was my exact thought. Why is she going in there armed? What if they're the type to shoot first and ask questions later? After all, there are rebels running around attacking the militia with any weapon they can find including, presumably, crossbows.
But then it does keep her weapon handy when the inevitible mayhem commenses.
If I were her, I would feel more comfortable about being backed up by the crowsbow that was cocked, aimed and ready to fire by someone else (especially with how much effort she needs to ready it to fire - she can hardly draw the string back).

Besides, they took it from her before she attacked.
post #514 of 1851
They treated a guy up on horseback with a sniper rifle like he was a machine gun bunker on the Atlantic Wall.
post #515 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

This episode was bad, one more chance next week but, I have a feeling this will get deleted from my DVR.
That British chick better not be able to turn that iPhone on again at some point, no way the battery would still be good after 15 years, even if it hasn't been used. Batteries don't last forever, even unused ones; it wouldn't have a charge after 15 years and I doubt it would even be able to hold much of a charge. I'm sure she'll turn it on at some point though and watch all her old videos of her kids, while crying; why not, the writers have shown little interest in getting the physics right so far.

Your prediction comes true.biggrin.gif
post #516 of 1851
Again, just another okay episode.
post #517 of 1851
I gotta say, the producers had better come up with a pretty damned good reason why gunpower still combusts but gasoline doesn't (ie. explaining why no one has any combustion engine devices)...

... but they won't smile.gif
post #518 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

I gotta say, the producers had better come up with a pretty damned good reason why gunpower still combusts but gasoline doesn't (ie. explaining why no one has any combustion engine devices)...
... but they won't smile.gif

Maybe (and i'm thinking out loud) it's the spark plugs that don't work but the engines would. Come to think of it, why no steam engines? Coal?

Im going to keep watching, its growing on me.
post #519 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

They treated a guy up on horseback with a sniper rifle like he was a machine gun bunker on the Atlantic Wall.
You see the recent one? Very effective up on that rooftop.

I still like the show. It's as easy to watch as Warehouse 13.
post #520 of 1851
Well the niece had me howling, as she tried to emote when she found out who her Uncle really was.... Talk about can't act, Wow... Now the new Hot dark hair female attraction is very good, and a Bad A** herself. Billy Burke is always a hoot, I'm watching....
post #521 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Maybe (and i'm thinking out loud) it's the spark plugs that don't work but the engines would. Come to think of it, why no steam engines? Coal?
Im going to keep watching, its growing on me.

Diesel doesn't need a spark plug though....
post #522 of 1851
Just saw on twitter that it has been picked up for a full season

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
post #523 of 1851
I thought it was funny that in one scene the bad guy leader is talking about how scarce and precious real bullets are, and then later on he has his men just blasting away like there's no tomorrow without even seeing a real live target. Granted, they're probably just shooting nuts and bolts and pebbles, but still it seemed like an incredible waste of ammunition, that stuff has to be collected and sized for use.
post #524 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

Diesel doesn't need a spark plug though....
They need some sort of initial ignitor(glow plug?) though don't they? In order to get the compression needed the engine has to be moving the pistons. Can you hand crank a motor that needs around 500 lbs of compression to function?
post #525 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Well the niece had me howling, as she tried to emote when she found out who her Uncle really was.... Talk about can't act, Wow... Now the new Hot dark hair female attraction is very good, and a Bad A** herself. Billy Burke is always a hoot, I'm watching....

 I found from the premier on that when she tries to convey strong emotion we are treated to wider lips and significantly more white teeth.

post #526 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

They need some sort of initial ignitor(glow plug?) though don't they? In order to get the compression needed the engine has to be moving the pistons. Can you hand crank a motor that needs around 500 lbs of compression to function?
I'm sure someone could create some sort of starting device, but the biggest issue would be creating enough fuel to make it practical. Even biodiesel needs stabilizing agents and other additives to makes sure it doesn't gum up the works.

They'd be better off using steam. The only major issue with steam, though, is how long it takes to prep a vehicle to run - something that can take 30 minutes or more. There wouldn't be any spur of the moment trips, that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I thought it was funny that in one scene the bad guy leader is talking about how scarce and precious real bullets are, and then later on he has his men just blasting away like there's no tomorrow without even seeing a real live target. Granted, they're probably just shooting nuts and bolts and pebbles, but still it seemed like an incredible waste of ammunition, that stuff has to be collected and sized for use.
I'm not sure why they would be scarce. You can make bullets, just like you can make musket balls - or, for that matter, horse shoes and banding for wagon wheels.

The key would be take make sure you pick up your brass whenever possible so you could potentially re-use it. The lead slug itself isn't hard to mold. You could probably melt down the cores from all those useless car batteries....
Edited by NetworkTV - 10/2/12 at 3:38pm
post #527 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

They need some sort of initial ignitor(glow plug?) though don't they? In order to get the compression needed the engine has to be moving the pistons. Can you hand crank a motor that needs around 500 lbs of compression to function?

Glow plug is only needed in cold weather. The weather appears warm now, a diesel would start. In 15 years, you could certainly come up with some other way of pre-heating it in cold weather, and design either a wind-up spring starter or a compressed air starter. They appear to prefer living like medieval serfs, and warlords.
post #528 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I'm sure someone could create some sort of starting device, but the biggest issue would be creating enough fuel to make it practical. Even biodiesel needs stabilizing agents and other additives to makes sure it doesn't gum up the works.
They'd be better off using steam. The only major issue with steam, though, is how long it takes to prep a vehicle to run - something that can take 30 minutes or more. There wouldn't be any spur of the moment trips, that's for sure.
So, no 30 mins or less pizza deliveries then, gosh, that would be pretty rough living! biggrin.gif
Quote:
I'm not sure why they would be scarce. You can make bullets, just like you can make musket balls - or, for that matter, horse shoes and banding for wagon wheels.
The key would be take make sure you pick up your brass whenever possible so you could potentially re-use it. The lead slug itself isn't hard to mold. You could probably melt down the cores from all those useless car batteries....
I agree on the bullets, and when this subject came up earlier in the thread I was thinking the same thing, if you've got the molds, retain your brass and have a heat source, I don't see why making more ammunition would be a problem.
post #529 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

Glow plug is only needed in cold weather. The weather appears warm now, a diesel would start. In 15 years, you could certainly come up with some other way of pre-heating it in cold weather, and design either a wind-up spring starter or a compressed air starter. They appear to prefer living like medieval serfs, and warlords.
Yes they do, it seems the writers have forsaken many things that would appear to be available given what we know for the sake of dramatic effect.
post #530 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I agree on the bullets, and when this subject came up earlier in the thread I was thinking the same thing, if you've got the molds, retain your brass and have a heat source, I don't see why making more ammunition would be a problem.
- I'm not sure what happened in the 15 years, but there are a lot of people who reload their own ammunition. They stockpile bullets, brass, gunpowder and primers. The last one would probably be the hardest one to obtain.
post #531 of 1851
One thing's certain. Only 8 weeks into the event, you wouldn't have predators roaming the streets without firearms like those two guys that were beating the hell out of {Dexter's wife's ex}.
post #532 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- I'm not sure what happened in the 15 years, but there are a lot of people who reload their own ammunition. They stockpile bullets, brass, gunpowder and primers. The last one would probably be the hardest one to obtain.

He said Smokeless bullets. They had the one shot rifles, one using gunpowder. But I did wonder about that myself.

Yep just saw also picked up for a full season. Sweet.
post #533 of 1851
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' age). smile.gif

TV Notes
NBC Issues a Full Season Order to a Trio of Freshman Entries
By Marc Berman, TVMediaInsights.com - Oct. 2, 2012

NBC has picked-up new drama Revolution and sitcoms Go On and The New Normal for the remainder of the season, with a back-end order of an expected nine additional episodes each.

Revolution, which benefits from airing out of The Voice on Monday at 10 p.m. ET, led the freshman pack among adults 18-49 once again with a 3.4 rating/9 share in the demo for the week of Sept. 24 (ranking No. 14 overall). Results in total viewers were 6.92 million (#42 overall). Go On, with Matthew Perry, also gets a boost from The Voice in the Tuesday 9 p.m. half-hour with a 2.7/ 7 in the demo for the week (#29 overall) and 6.92 million viewers (#42). The New Normal out of Go On, meanwhile, averaged 5.09 million viewers (#58) and a 2.0/ 5 in the demo (#49) last week, and all three series have been notably boosted by DVR usage. Yes, lead-in still matters!

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/2012/10/nbc-issues-a-full-season-order-to-a-trio-of-freshman-entries/
post #534 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I thought it was funny that in one scene the bad guy leader is talking about how scarce and precious real bullets are, and then later on he has his men just blasting away like there's no tomorrow without even seeing a real live target.

I noticed that, too. It would have been fine (since the militia is explicitly stated as having stockpiled ammunition) if the writers didn't take the time to write speeches into the same episode about how scarce ammunition is. I'm starting to agree with whoever it was that said the writers are going out of their way to make Charlie annoying, because her whiny impertinence is a real drag. Thankfully Uncle Miles is around to make her shut up. I'm still glad it got extended to a full season, though. Hopefully Charlie will mellow out eventually.

On another note, I thought it was unrealistic how the captured rebel was such a wimp. Surely he didn't think he would get to live if he gave up his comrades? The rebel leaders ought to have prepared him to expect death if he ever got captured.
post #535 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Well the niece had me howling, as she tried to emote when she found out who her Uncle really was.... Talk about can't act, Wow... Now the new Hot dark hair female attraction is very good, and a Bad A** herself. Billy Burke is always a hoot, I'm watching....

I couldn't make it through the 3rd show. That was so bad. Erase season pass.
post #536 of 1851
This is one dumb show. I was predictably dissappointed and done after just one episode.

Network TV drama just looks so pathetic these days when compared to the other choices available. .
post #537 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post

This is one dumb show. I was predictably dissappointed and done after just one episode.
Network TV drama just looks so pathetic these days when compared to the other choices available. .

+1. We are a nation of idiots. This show puts such on display.smile.gif

Why is it so hard to make a 'smart' series?! This is the maybe 2nd or 3rd series I've tried watching in the last 3 years and it is another dud with dumb writing and acting.

It is somewhat reminiscent of 'The Event' which died a quick death.
post #538 of 1851
I am still watching it for now, but the Neice is getting on my nerves real quick with her "don't kill attitude". Hopefully she turns that attitude around once she kills a few more men. If this turns into a romance I am gone.
post #539 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

One thing's certain. Only 8 weeks into the event, you wouldn't have predators roaming the streets without firearms like those two guys that were beating the hell out of {Dexter's wife's ex}.

I thought that part happened 6 months after the black out?

But either way, I thought this episode was really bad.
After the militia guy gives his speech about scarce ammunition, he then uses one on a tied up prisoner? Why not just use a knife after he tells you what he knows?
We were cracking up at the part where the same militia guy is sending one man at a time to get shot until the rooftop shooter runs out of ammo....lol. Why not come at the building from different sides at the same time?
And the niece, she is the worst. Everything she says makes me wish someone on screen would punch her.
post #540 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

After the militia guy gives his speech about scarce ammunition, he then uses one on a tied up prisoner? Why not just use a knife after he tells you what he knows?
I suppose it's no worse than using your super special electricity device to run a cattle prod.
Quote:
We were cracking up at the part where the same militia guy is sending one man at a time to get shot until the rooftop shooter runs out of ammo....lol. Why not come at the building from different sides at the same time?
Because that would violate the rules of bad guys going after someone. It doesn't matter how many strong you are, you're obligated to attack the good guy one at a time.

The additional rule to that is, should you capture someone, you need to keep him alive while revealing your entire evil plan - then leave him poorly guarded, giving him plenty of time to escape.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Revolution' on NBC