Whooo welcome back live shows. Thought they'd never get here with the seemingly endless audition slog, but damn it was worth the wait. I don't know all the names yet, but memorable bits for me of a great show:
- Loved that the guest judge actually knew what he was talking about. This is what guest judges should be.
- The opening number was fantastic, but for the love of good stop pimping Alexa. We get it, you want her around. Must she be front and center in everything? She still lacks something that makes me connect. Beautiful girl but the light is dim.
- Loved the Nappytabs alley-cat number. My wife rewatched 4 routines immediately upon their completion, and this was the first. A big part of it is that the guy is big. He's a bit of a loon, but his size makes his dances stand out. Something about seeing a big guy dancing with a girl is more enjoyable than the endless midgets dancing with little girls. Screw physical symmetry, I say.
- Cyrus teamed with Eliana produced the 2nd song we watched twice, but I wanted to watch it for all the wrong reasons. It reminded me of a Saturday Night Live bit called What's Up With That(not a compliment). I love Eliana, but she didn't shine in this. The energy she and Cyrus displayed was great though. The complete opposite of the boring jazz number Alexa and her partner put on, which had absolutely zero in the way of emotion or connection. I fear that Cyrus is going to put Eliana in a vulnerable position since so far he hasn't proven he can dance outside of his own genre.
- The Titanic dance was the third dance we rewound. Beautiful dance. Just stunning.
- Finally the Paso Doble was the absolute best of the night. Great music combined with great choreography and beautiful dancing. That girl was stunning in those knee high boots, and Cole played the part amazingly.
With the exception of a couple not-so-memorable early numbers, the show really picked up and ended incredibly strong. The girls are really strong.