or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Axiom QS8's - should I stay away?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Axiom QS8's - should I stay away?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
So I was about to pull the trigger on the Axiom QS8's for surrounds, as people seemed to like how they sound. However, just started reading a bunch of threads here pretty much bashing Axiom speakers for their sound and build quality (but mostly the front speakers and not the surrounds), so I got nervous.

What are people's opinions on the QS8's? Are there better alternatives for approximately the same price?

By the way, I have to do bipole speakers (vs. dipole) because of the way my room is setup.
post #2 of 20
I started with the Q's about 3yrs ago and I liked them enough that I decided to try their other speakers. I have since move away from the speakers but still enjoy my Q's for surround duties...I would recommend them...although trying to sell my Axioms because of all the crap you read about on these forums....has being difficult. The decision is yours they do offer a 30 day return policy.
post #3 of 20
I have had a pair for about 2 years or so. Fantastic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post

So I was about to pull the trigger on the Axiom QS8's for surrounds, as people seemed to like how they sound. However, just started reading a bunch of threads here pretty much bashing Axiom speakers for their sound and build quality (but mostly the front speakers and not the surrounds), so I got nervous.

What are people's opinions on the QS8's? Are there better alternatives for approximately the same price?

By the way, I have to do bipole speakers (vs. dipole) because of the way my room is setup.
post #4 of 20
I love my Axiom Audio speakers, I have 2-M80's, 1-VP150 and 2-QS8.

As much as I like my speakers, I am thinking of changing out the 2 QS8 with 2 center channel or bookshelf speakers (Axiom)

I have a very large living room-dining room, and the reflected nature of the QS8's seem to get lost in the room.

Love Axiom, and the QS8's are beautiful, but don't work for my application.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post

I love my Axiom Audio speakers, I have 2-M80's, 1-VP150 and 2-QS8.

As much as I like my speakers, I am thinking of changing out the 2 QS8 with 2 center channel or bookshelf speakers (Axiom)

I have a very large living room-dining room, and the reflected nature of the QS8's seem to get lost in the room.

Love Axiom, and the QS8's are beautiful, but don't work for my application.

How big is your room? And when you say it gets lost, do you mean the sound doesn't envelop you or that it is too muffled, or what? Just curious, I've already ordered the QS8's, so we'll see how they work for me.
post #6 of 20
It is a big room, a living room and dining room combined, and a 12 foot ceiling.

I think it might be a matter of placement.

I have decided to still use my QS8's and order a new wall mount (Full metal bracket) and mount them higher (I had them at ear level) and further back (again, I had them at a right angle to my ears). I will also angle them down. (I was reading what others have done with their QS8's on the axiomaudio forum.)

Also, my remodeling budget is out of control, and new speakers are last on the remodeling budget!

And actually, the QS8's look "cool" and match my new living room/dining room paint, (by accident, I did not pick the paint to match the speakers!).

Yea, I will stick with the QS8's and the full metal jacket, er, I mean Bracket !

Sorry to scare you off. Audition the QS8's by hooking them up as your only speakers,and play some music thru them. Then you can judge for yourself if you like the sound!
post #7 of 20

Buy them - full steam ahead! The QS8s are awesome at their intended purpose, as home theater surround speakers. I've auditioned surrounds from many similarly priced high quality names like Monitor Audio, PSB, Kef, Ascend Acoustics, Def Tech, Paradigm, and Goldenear. IMHO the QS8s are the best surround speakers in this price class. They're kind of a phenomenal surround speaker. Placement is really easy with QS8s because of their quadpole design. They are extremely easy to mount, because of their flush-mounted design -- mine are mounted using the simple bracket that comes with the speakers. You don't need (at all) a mounting, swiveling bracket to mount these. And because of that, they look better in most rooms. But the aeshetics is just an added bonus. These mounting issues may seem minor, but they can be a big deal. It's not always possible to get your surrounds in perfect symetry, or at the perfect height or position, and in these cases, the QS8s really shine. Your wife will also appreciate not having two large speakers jutting out from the wall. And the surround sound is their best quality -- the sense of spaciousness, combining an enveloping sound with the clarity of position from the individual drivers, really brings a surround system to life.

 

I like them so much that I would not hesitate to match them with many another system. Timbre matching speakers is great, and important for music, but the nature of surround sound effects is such that timbre matching for HT isn't as important as having a great surround speaker, IMO.

 

The only situation where I'd hesitate on the QS8s, or any side-firing speaker or surround-specific design, is if you're planning on listening to a lot of high-res audio in 5.1 speaker mode. This is kind of a non-issue for most people, since hi-res audio is a niche at best. For casual Dolby Pro Logic II listening, I enjoy music with my qS8s as the back speakers, especially classical stuff. There's an airy enveloping quality. But I definitely prefer regular bookshelves for 5.1 music, because you get better imaging from a direct speaker. If like most people you mainly want surrounds for HT, then the QS8s are perfect. I almost never see them selling used, so if you can snag them at a discount price, go for it.

 

For that matter, Axiom overall makes some great speakers for the money - though their prices have crept up the last few years, kind of negating their value proposition from when the company started and prices were more competitive. I've run a pair of Axiom Audio M60s for many years and love them, as does everyone who looks at them and listens to them. Airy, wide soundstage, intensely accurate. To me, they compare well with Monitor Audio's silver range, though I do slightly prefer the Monitor Audio Silvers, which cost quite a bit more (or used to at any rate). But those Canadians know how to make speakers. If you check out reviews based on frequency measurements, blind listening tests, and unbiased listening, the Axioms almost always do extremely well. It's always a matter of taste in the end, but all of the Axioms I've heard, especially the QS8s, M60s, and M3s, have been well made accurate speakers with a sound I really love.

post #8 of 20
There seems to be a love it or hate it dynamic with Axiom speakers. Some of the venom spewed toward them seems ridiculous, but some smart people do make interesting arguments against them. On the other hand, so many people love the way they sound that it's hard to believe they are that bad. I'd like to hear them for myself sometime.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

There seems to be a love it or hate it dynamic with Axiom speakers. Some of the venom spewed toward them seems ridiculous, but some smart people do make interesting arguments against them. On the other hand, so many people love the way they sound that it's hard to believe they are that bad. I'd like to hear them for myself sometime.

I personally feel most of the negative feed back on Axiom speakers comes more from their floor standing speakers and subs. The QS8'a never really seem to get a whole lot of negative things said about them. I really enjoy mine and for the price I don't think you can go wrong as far as a good quality surround speaker goes.

I'm probably going to switch mine out in 2014 just to try something different but that's not because I don't like them.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post


How big is your room? And when you say it gets lost, do you mean the sound doesn't envelop you or that it is too muffled, or what? Just curious, I've already ordered the QS8's, so we'll see how they work for me.

beezar--

          Did you end up getting the QS8s? If so, care to share your thoughts?  Thanks (I'm looking at them for later this year).

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I started with the Q's about 3yrs ago and I liked them enough that I decided to try their other speakers. I have since move away from the speakers but still enjoy my Q's for surround duties...I would recommend them...although trying to sell my Axioms because of all the crap you read about on these forums....has being difficult. The decision is yours they do offer a 30 day return policy.

I think the economy should be blamed more than people talking down Axiom on forums, most used speakers can barely fetch 30-40% of msrp on ebay...
post #12 of 20
I have 2 HT systems, a 7.1 and a 9.2.

I use a pair of Axiom QS8s as side surrounds in the 7.1 system. They are terrific. I use a pair of bi-pole Mission DS77s in the back surround positions in the 7.1 system. They are terrific. The front L/R speakers in the 7.1 system are Axiom made Michaura M665 towers (same driver array as the Axiom M60 except for the 0.75" titanium tweeter while the M60 uses a 1.0" titanium tweeter) The Axiom made towers are drop-dead gorgeous and sound terrific. A huge Axiom VP 180 is in the center position. It sounds terrific. I use an Epik Legend subwoofer, an Anthem PVA5 5 channel amp, a 2 channel Lepai, an Integra DTC 9.4 processor. Altogether, the system sounds terrific for music or movies.

The 9.2 system has 6 Axiom made Michaura M55 speakers in front high L/R, side surround and back surround positions. These are also drop-dead gorgeous, Rosewood (faux) finish with the same basic driver kit as the Axiom M22s, but with the 0.75" tweeter. Center channel is an Axiom VP 150. Front L/R are a pair of Thiel CS 3.6 towers. An SVS 39-20 sub and a Dahlquist PDQ 1500 sub take care of the lower frequencies. An Onkyo 1007 drives all but the front L/R which are powered by an Integra M504 with giant meters. The system sounds great.

I have used Axiom M22s, and the Axiom made Michaura M55s and M66s as 2 channel speakers driven by a nice SET 5 wpc tube amp (with subs) and they have given me enormous pleasure. I have experienced not only a "wall of sound" from these speakers, but a wall of wonderful sound.

The Thiels sound great. I have a 2 channel system using a pair of Dahlquist M905s. They sound incredibly wonderful. I have another 2 channel system using a pair of Dahlquist M909s. That system sounds wonderful.

I have been lucky in my choices of equipment. My goal, always, to obtain maximum sound quality, and music or movie enjoyment for the least (within reason) amount of money.

Any fool can put a wonderful sounding system by throwing $10,000 or more at it. The trick is in putting a system together which puts out comparable sound quality at a fraction of the price. Axiom speakers work well as giant killers, high sound quality at excellent prices.

The only Axiom speakers I had which did not delight me was a pair of M50s. They just didn't work in my systems. Everything else I have heard (and I have auditioned M60s at Big Will's house) have sounded great.

Some people know too much, in particular, all the reasons why Axioms should not sound as good as speaker x. I don't know whether they have really experienced Axiom speakers, or whether they work for a competitor, or they see a bandwagon of hate to jump on, but in my experience, Axiom speakers are well made, a good value and sound terrific. The vitriolic anti-Axiom campaign I have observed on some sites is a terrible libel against a decent company which makes audiophile products at a decent price. There is no rational explanation for it.

So, if you are still thinking about them, the Axiom QS8s are good looking, good value and sound great for both music and home theater.

If you get a pair, I think you will enjoy them very much. I got mine from a craigslist seller. If you buy from Axiom, you have the opportunity to try them out and if you don't like them, free return and full refund.

Good luck!
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

I think the economy should be blamed more than people talking down Axiom on forums, most used speakers can barely fetch 30-40% of msrp on ebay...


Well that's Ebay...I wouldn't buy anything AV related from there. I based this opinion solely on using different forums classified sections and (CAM) which is similar here in Canada to what AudiogoN in the US. I sold my Energy and Axiom speakers through them. I can unequivocally say the Axiom garnered zero interest on the forums and I wound up selling them months later for ~25% of what I paid for them and they were less than 1 yr old. The Energy RC sold within 2 days of my listing...not that they were much or any better than my Axioms.

Anyhow...the guy who bought my Axioms eventually came back for surrounds (Q4s...which BTW....I really like and had in my home for 3yrs) to have a full set of 5.1 Axiom for his new home. IIRC when I first met him he expressed some concern about the products in general & all the negative talk surrounding them on various forums didn't help. After his audition he liked them well enough but yeah...the price was a BIG factor for him since this was his first foray into HT.

So...yeah the economy might have been the culprit at the time but most people usually look into the used market...do so...for that one time deal they just can't pass up.

*For the record...since this is an old thread*...my issue was never really with my Axiom speakers but more so with their membership and how some of them conduct themselves on their forum...disgraceful ...but it's now...all in the past...JMO.
Edited by Billy p - 1/23/14 at 7:21am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x6spds View Post

Any fool can put a wonderful sounding system by throwing $10,000 or more at it. The trick is in putting a system together which puts out comparable sound quality at a fraction of the price.

I agree which is why I sold my more expensive Axioms and went with a system that was cheaper than the Axioms and sounded better and better built overall.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x6spds View Post

Any fool can put a wonderful sounding system by throwing $10,000 or more at it. The trick is in putting a system together which puts out comparable sound quality at a fraction of the price. Axiom speakers work well as giant killers, high sound quality at excellent prices.

I agree! I jokingly call my Axiom system "the best speakers I NEVER heard!", because I bought them after reading hundreds (thousands) of posts. Very happy with my purchase, although, if I had to do it all over again, I would consider some of the lower priced speakers that seem to get lots of good reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x6spds View Post

The only Axiom speakers I had which did not delight me was a pair of M50s. They just didn't work in my systems. Everything else I have heard (and I have auditioned M60s at Big Will's house) have sounded great.

I was not impressed with my M60's, but I was able to exchange them for my current M80's, and I LOVE my M80's! I do not have a sub-woofer, and do not want a sub-woofer, I get all the sound my house and my ears can handle from my M80's (and the other Axiom Speakers in my 5 speaker system)!

I did buy a Polk sub-woofer from Fry's a few years ago, hooked it up, and I felt it detracted from my overall sound. Returned the sub-woofer. The Polk was a "low end" Polk, so I do not know what my system would sound like with a more "musical" sub woofer.

However, HT is all about enjoyment, and I am very very happy with my current system, so why spend more money. I have to put "upside down bar stools" in front of my M80's to prevent my dog from attacking the speakers when I watch an action movie at high volumes. The M80's put out a lot of sound!

Also, just a comment about surround sound systems, I am very happy with my 5 speaker system, 7 or 9 speaker systems do not really interest me. I have a 7.1 receiver, and I have bi-amped my M80's. That, combined with my QS8's, I feel that I have enough "surround sound" bouncing around my Living room already!
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

I agree which is why I sold my more expensive Axioms and went with a system that was cheaper than the Axioms and sounded better and better built overall.

What did you go with?
post #17 of 20
I have four QS8 speakers for the side/rear surrounds. Sound great. Love how easy they were to wall mount as well.
post #18 of 20
I had a 5.1 system with a Sony TA E9000ES processor and Anthem 5 channel amp. Loved it. Sony died.

I have all these speakers, so I grabbed a 9.2 receiver (Onkyo 1007) from a Fry's blow out sale and got my Michauras out of the closet and put them to use.

I'd love to get the Sony fixed and would be very happy with a 5.1 based on that processor.

I've heard some Wharfedale bookshelf speakers (don't recall model) which sounded terrific.
post #19 of 20
I've had at least a half dozen surround speakers, and the Axiom QS8 speakers were by far the best
of them all. The build quality is first rate also, even thou they don't use real veneer.

vardo
post #20 of 20
Vardo: You can get real wood veneer albeit at extra cost.

I have the QS4s that work just fine in my room & I feel no need for an upgrade to the bigger 8s. Both are wonderful designs....

TAM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Axiom QS8's - should I stay away?