or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Polk PSW-10, Pioneer SW-8, or Velodyne VX-11?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Polk PSW-10, Pioneer SW-8, or Velodyne VX-11?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I just purchased 2 pairs of Pioneer SP-BS21 bookshelves to start building my budget home theater at my apartment. Which of these subs is the best for the $$$? I know the SW-8 matches the bookshelves but it is only 8" vs 10" for the Polk and Velodyne. I don't want to spend more than $130. Thanks for your quick replies!

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 17
I would get the VX-11 if I were you.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo King View Post

I would get the VX-11 if I were you.

I can find the PSW10 for $100, the SW-8 for $80, but the VX-11 is $160 (i thought i could find it for cheaper). What about between the PSW10 and the SW-8? My living room is about 175 sq ft and I live two doors from the lobby of my building so maybe a good sub isnt a great idea! Haha I know maybe a home theater will get me in trouble but I'll risk it. Thanks for the response
post #4 of 17
I suggest you wait a bit longer to save the money for the VX-11. My brother bought a PSW-10 a few years ago, it didn't sound good and the output was weak probably because the amp was only 50-WRMS. He gave it to a friend . The SW-8 sounds OK but the 8" driver is a bit small for a home sub, you will not hear anything below 40Hz from it and it has a small amp, too (50-WRMS). The VX-11 sounds best among these 3.
post #5 of 17
^^^^
do what he said. I also had PSW10. There's a reason it's $100

I'll break it down (not fact, just my comical assesment)

The cabinet is quite nice actually and the fit and finish is very good $70

Although the amp is a weakling, it is quite reliable $25

driver $5

there you have it.
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

^^^^
do what he said. I also had PSW10. There's a reason it's $100

I'll break it down (not fact, just my comical assesment)

The cabinet is quite nice actually and the fit and finish is very good $70

Although the amp is a weakling, it is quite reliable $25

driver $5

there you have it.

well my Panasonic p55st50 is here and I guess I'll have to wait for my full home theater set up . the velodyne won't be overkill for such a small space?

oh and i still don't have a receiver...any suggestions in the $200-$250 range? This is my first set up so I am having a very hard time making a decision even after hours of research. Thanks guys.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas825 View Post

the velodyne won't be overkill for such a small space?

when you say your room is 175 square feet, you need to include the height as well. So if you have a 10' ceiling, the sub needs to pressurize 1750 cubic feet (volume instead of superficial area).

Regardless, it's a pretty small room. So no, it's not an overkill. it is better to have xtra power so it can play clean and undistorted than the opposite. It's like having a 1000HP car, you don't need it, but it's there just in case

cheers
post #8 of 17
I agree with jproy13, we have a subwoofer to add the low frequency sound, not to add loud sound (hence the loudness control on the sub). When you listen to a better sub than your own, you will recognize right away how much you've missed in the low freq department.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas825 View Post

oh and i still don't have a receiver...any suggestions in the $200-$250 range?

Denon 1712
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
i will get the denon 1712 since its 7.1 and I plan to buy floorstanding speakers in a couple months, probably the pioneer SP-FS51-LR. i guess i'll have to buy a refurb tho since its over $300 new online. I have the sp-c21 center speaker on the way as well. I am still tempted to get the SW-8 just because it matches the rest of my set but I will try and wait so I can get the velodyne. Thanks for all your help, I can't wait for my new set up!
post #11 of 17
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo King View Post

I suggest you check out the Polk Audio floorstanding speakers from Newegg.


haha after all these suggestions i am second guessing the pioneer speakers i bought. i got the 4 bookshelves from newegg for $100 total and the center from parts express for $80. my overall budget for speakers, sub, and receiver when starting was about $500.

the floorstanding polks (the monitor60 series II) look to be similarly priced as the pioneer floorstanding speakers. what about bookshelves? are there any polks that can match the quality/price of the pioneer bookshelves i purchased?
post #13 of 17
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo King View Post

Polk Audio Bookshelf Speakers

Polk Audio Center Speakers (Folks on this board love the CS2).

ahhh the polk bookshelves are twice the price! that is out of my budget. are they really that much better? i still have to pay for medical school! the center on the other hand is only 30 bucks more so i'll consider it. thanks for the links
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas825 View Post

I am still tempted to get the SW-8 just because it matches the rest of my set

There is no need for sub matching.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas825 View Post

are there any polks that can match the quality/price of the pioneer bookshelves i purchased?

You're just joking, I believe.

I agree we don't need to match the subwoofer and it doesn't have to come from the same brand to make the whole speaker system look nice. Subs are to be hidden away when it's possible.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas825 View Post

Polk PSW-10, Pioneer SW-8, or Velodyne VX-11?
. . .
Which of these subs is the best for the $$$? ... I don't want to spend more than $130.

IMO, you should avoid the PSW10. If you can't afford a new Energy S10.3 (often on sale for ~$200), keep an eye out for a used one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Polk PSW-10, Pioneer SW-8, or Velodyne VX-11?