or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Exhaustive Micca EP600 G2 review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Exhaustive Micca EP600 G2 review - Page 4

post #91 of 131
Have listened to 20 or so different streaming files, no audible dropouts so far. Wanted to be able to compare streaming over ethernet to actually putting FLAC files on attached SATA drive. Copied over my HDTracks folder. Thus far no audible differences between streaming over ethernet and FLAC files on SATA attached to EP600G2. No noticable speed difference in accessing files. Have not resolved what is causing WMA files to be visible in File Manager but they will not play. Maybe something in my setup I need to find and correct.
post #92 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post

One thing I noticed so far is that my WMA lossless files are not readable by the EP600G2. Thats odd as WMA is shown as a compatible format for this unit.

All of my WMA Library was ripped from CD into Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless, which the EP600G2 will not play. Tested re-ripping CD into Windows Media Audio 10 Professional and the files played perfectly. So be aware that at least with WMA 9.2 Lossless those files will need to either be re-ripped or converted.

Thumbnail of Music Album Art will not display the image, just a generic image. Was hoping to use Library-Music to look similiar to Windows Media Center or AppleTV or other decent interface but with no album art, what's up with that?

Having problems playing HDaudio FLAC download of John Coltrane- Blue Train. EP600G2 displays tracks and when track is selected the track duration appears but no audio. Have deleted and recreated this folder numerous times on SATA but problem continues. The EP600G2 Keeps creating a thumbs.dbs file by itself in this album folder only, and in no other album folders. Another what's up with that?

Audio quality thus far is pristine. FLAC files sound slightly better than WMA 10 Professional (lossless) which needs more investigation as they should be identical, but obviously my dbPoweramp used for format conversion is not perfect.
post #93 of 131
Cannot get my album cover art to display when track is selected. Cover art in both cover.jpg and filename.jpg inside same folder as music tracks. Suggestions?
post #94 of 131
I have a specific question for the Micca EP600 G2 users:
What I need is 'dual-audio output'. With this I mean audio both send over SPDIF (the core DD/DTS signal) and simultanously the lossless DTS-MA/True-HD signal over HDMI). The Dune and Oppo have this 'feauture' for example.
Could someone check for me if this is supported by EP600 G2?
post #95 of 131
Great review, thanks! Few questions/notes:
1. is seeking(FF/RW) smooth and not jittery watching a DVD ISO?

2. you mentioned the unit remembers where you left off, this is true with ISO? If so I assume this is only true of the LAST ISO you watched?

3. as a note, I see "ripping .vobs" mentioned; this is where I started and I will be moving to ISOs as the .vobs DO NOT break nicely file-to-file. TV episodes can span multiple .vobs and I don't want to deal with trying to 'fix' this so I'm just gonna switch to ripping ISOs, easy peasy.

4. any idea if you can "random play" .iso files? sometimes might be nice to not have to pick a tv show, just hit 'random' - not sure if any players can do this.
Edited by 80sMetalForever - 11/18/12 at 9:03am
post #96 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

I have a specific question for the Micca EP600 G2 users:
What I need is 'dual-audio output'. With this I mean audio both send over SPDIF (the core DD/DTS signal) and simultanously the lossless DTS-MA/True-HD signal over HDMI). The Dune and Oppo have this 'feauture' for example.
Could someone check for me if this is supported by EP600 G2?

Let me try to explain more detailed so you guys understand better what I m looking for:

I have a D-Box Motion Code system. These are motion seats that work with a special decoder. This decoder NEEDS the lossy DD/DTS core signal feeded by optical (since the D-Box decoders does not have a HDMI input and only a optical input).

What the Oppo (eg. BDP-93) and Panasonic (eg. 310) can do is send the core DD/DTS trough its optical out and simultanously send the lossless True-HD/DTS-MA signal through its HDMI out (which also of course contains the video signal). This all when playing a Blu-Ray with the True-HD/DTS-MA track selected.
With this config I can enjoy both my D-Box AND lossless audio.

So I m specifically looking for the above 'feature'. Could someone check if this works on the EP600 G2?

Thanks in advance.
post #97 of 131
One quick question, did u try the new 10-bit H264 codec, mostly its used in BR rip anime files. Im wondering if it worked on this player.

thanks
post #98 of 131
I just bought the micca ep 600 G2 because nothing else was able to play my 40 gb movie files. I plugged it in and it amazed me with how little lag it had playing such large files. However, I can't get it to play external .srt files.

The firmware is very early, 1.0.3.9 so i thought that might be the problem. But here is where i need help! I can't get the upgrade to work. I downloaded the newest firmware and when reading the instructions, it say to put the 'install.img' file onto the usb thumbdrive. However, I only see a folder called install and two other .img files not called install.

Long story, kinda short - i tried putting in the whole install folder onto the drive and then i tried each of the .img files not named install. Bottom line is nothing has worked

when i hold down the recovery mode button with a paper clip and press and realase power, the micca logo and text saying upgrading appears on the screen, but nothing happens and it stays that way for hours.


Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!
post #99 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by miccaneedshelp View Post

I just bought the micca ep 600 G2 because nothing else was able to play my 40 gb movie files. I plugged it in and it amazed me with how little lag it had playing such large files. However, I can't get it to play external .srt files.
The firmware is very early, 1.0.3.9 so i thought that might be the problem. But here is where i need help! I can't get the upgrade to work. I downloaded the newest firmware and when reading the instructions, it say to put the 'install.img' file onto the usb thumbdrive. However, I only see a folder called install and two other .img files not called install.
Long story, kinda short - i tried putting in the whole install folder onto the drive and then i tried each of the .img files not named install. Bottom line is nothing has worked
when i hold down the recovery mode button with a paper clip and press and realase power, the micca logo and text saying upgrading appears on the screen, but nothing happens and it stays that way for hours.
Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

In order for the recovery upgrade to work you will need the install.img file. Try going to the Micca website again, and download the upgrade again. Just FYI, I don't think Micca will be supporting their media players anymore. So, good luck.
post #100 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Just FYI, I don't think Micca will be supporting their media players anymore. So, good luck.

Why do you say that? I just got the EP600 G2, I like it very much, but having a couple of issues. Tech Support has been responding...

My main issues right now:
  • No album art (thumbnails) for FLAC, either accessed directly or streamed from my DLNA server (Twonky) - MP3s are fine
  • FLAC files always stream as LPCM, rather than bitstream to my Anthem AVM50 pre/pro, even though I have RAW set on the Micca
  • No gapless playback of audio - this is major for me

- Mark
post #101 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileboy View Post

Why do you say that? I just got the EP600 G2, I like it very much, but having a couple of issues. Tech Support has been responding...
My main issues right now:
  • No album art (thumbnails) for FLAC, either accessed directly or streamed from my DLNA server (Twonky) - MP3s are fine
  • FLAC files always stream as LPCM, rather than bitstream to my Anthem AVM50 pre/pro, even though I have RAW set on the Micca
  • No gapless playback of audio - this is major for me
- Mark

HiMedia is no longer supporting their product. Micca is a HiMedia clone. The only person who provided support on this forum Jack@Micca is no longer posting, answering questions nor honoring his promises. So, if you like the Micca you can take a chance and stay with them, but in my opinion I wouldn't buy anything from them now.
post #102 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

HiMedia is no longer supporting their product. Micca is a HiMedia clone. The only person who provided support on this forum Jack@Micca is no longer posting, answering questions nor honoring his promises. So, if you like the Micca you can take a chance and stay with them, but in my opinion I wouldn't buy anything from them now.

Interesting. Is the "HiMedia 900A" essentially the same player (it appears identical)?

A little too late for me to not "take a channce and stay with them", since I already purchased it...
post #103 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileboy View Post

Interesting. Is the "HiMedia 900A" essentially the same player (it appears identical)?
A little too late for me to not "take a channce and stay with them", since I already purchased it...

Same hardware different UI / firmware.
post #104 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Same hardware different UI / firmware.

Does it (the firmware) fix the issues in my original post? wink.gif
post #105 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileboy View Post

Does it (the firmware) fix the issues in my original post? wink.gif

Don't know. I never bought a Micca as soon as I found out it didn't support any jukebox. So, I can't tell you what it is fixed or not.
post #106 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

HiMedia is no longer supporting their product. Micca is a HiMedia clone. The only person who provided support on this forum Jack@Micca is no longer posting, answering questions nor honoring his promises. So, if you like the Micca you can take a chance and stay with them, but in my opinion I wouldn't buy anything from them now.
This is false information. I am not Micca's technical support. Micca has a email support system - the team there even responds on Saturday and Sundays.
post #107 of 131
As I posted on the other Micca thread, I will no longer recommend any of the Micca products. After what everything has transpired I cannot trust this product or any of its affiliates.
post #108 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@Micca View Post

This is false information. I am not Micca's technical support. Micca has a email support system - the team there even responds on Saturday and Sundays.

the information that is true

1 himedia is not supporting their product anymore
2 the 950 micca is an exact clone of the himedia
3 jack is not being forthright with what is happening now--I am interested if micca can solve any issues which I doubt as himedia didnt and its the same unit and I was hoping to use their firmware
4 the 950 has apparently been removed from micca's site

People have been and will be burned buying himedia or micca products
the next few months will tell with micca
post #109 of 131
^ I didn't know anything about HiMedia or their products until a few days ago, so I have no idea what their status is or their relationship with Micca.

The only thing I will say is that, after I purchased an EP350 G2 and had issues (I believe the unit was defective), Micca support was quite responsive and, after a number of e-mails in which they tried to help, they swapped out the unit for the EP600 G2 at no charge. And, I have again been e-mailing them about the issues I mentioned above, and they have been responding in a timely and courteous fashion.

I am not saying I am happy about the issues I'm having - and in fact may look for a replacement unit to better serve my needs - only that they have acknowledged the issues, have tried to help, and claim to have been in contact with their still-active development team.

I agree they should be more responsive here, but the fact is I already own the Micca, so they're not being responsive just in the hopes of making a sale.

Just my .02.

- Mark
post #110 of 131
So I now have 3 of the EP600 and I am happy with them. Got tired of repairing my Popcorn Hours. The only thing I would like to see is some kind of XBOXMC interface. I to would love to be able to use thumnails instaed of a list of movies. I only play ISO and have zero problems. Anyone hear about a update for the interface on these things?
post #111 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@Micca View Post

This is false information. I am not Micca's technical support. Micca has a email support system - the team there even responds on Saturday and Sundays.

You have in other threads posted "what's new" type of posts regarding firmware updates as well as indicating you would pass suggestions along to Micca's development team. Your screen name suggests (at least to me) that you are employed by Micca. Are you? If so, in what capacity?
post #112 of 131
Is anyone having success playing 176.4/24 FLAC files with this unit. Downloaded Dave Brubeck Take Five tonight from HDtracks in that format. No luck playing this sampling rate, file error. Is it just me?
post #113 of 131
A question for those that own one. Does this downmix all supported HD audio codecs (and regular 5.1 DD and DTS) to 2.0 and output it via the RCA plugs?
post #114 of 131
Hi,

Do you know what frame rate of 1080P stream it can play. I have some bit streams as 1080P 50Hz or 1080P 60Hz, can it play? I noticed that the almost all media players on the market can only play 1080P 24Hz or 1080P 30Hz, how about this one? Thanks!
post #115 of 131
Has anyone tried the Android component? I was experimenting with it last night, but the problem I'm having is that the screen is all wrong - the image is too big, so the sides and bottom get seriously cut off. I messed with screen resolutions ad nauseum, but couldn't fix it.

Also, when in the Internet Browser, the "OK" button - Enter - doesn't seem to work - making it impossible to leave the home page!

Hoping against hope that someone will reply...but I'm not optimistic! rolleyes.gif

- Mark
post #116 of 131
Firmware was updated to last one but I have a huge issue now where any MKV with Dolby TRUE HD will NOT play smoothly, it will stutter all the way to the end, If I change that to DD it will play fine but not in HD audio.

Also all MP4 compressed with HandBrake will reboot the Player, after pressing play the screen will go black and the player will reboot itself.

If there is no solution I guess it is going to be returned to Amazon.
post #117 of 131
I notice that the EP600 is currently unavailable on Amazon? Is it coming back?
post #118 of 131
I asked Micca today and received this response:

It will be in stock by end of next week.

Should I get the 600 or the 950 or go for the KDLINKS HD700.
post #119 of 131
Listen to Gusgus and Denass. They are very active on this board and they actually KNOW what they're talking about and won't BS you.
Avoid Micca/Himedia product at all cost. They are the exact same product.
Himedia makes these devices for Micca. Therefore, all firmware supports come from Himedia. Micca is completely useless when it come to fixes and firmware.
I have both the EP600 and EP950. Many random crashes/reboots, stutter issues, etc.
The presence of Jack@Micca here gives some people, especially new ones, the "illusion" that there is technical and customer supports but it cannot be further from the truth.
Edited by f1shtaco - 5/13/13 at 12:18am
post #120 of 131
Thanks fishtaco
its true what you say
my himedia is in the cupboard now--its the identical brother to the EP950
support for firmware is bugga all for ages
these products are at END OF LIFE
I wouldnt purchase in a fit himedia or micca
I would purchase a product that has actually ongoing support from the manufacturer
I recently bought another dune--its a Max
Both my dunes play everything fine--no hiccups at all on the file side but the max needs a firmware update for the optical drive--a couple new titles dont play in it
As a media player cant fault the playing of iso's which most of mine are
If you want 3d maybe wait awhile till the DUNE HD 3D matures
Best bet is to do plenty of research before buying a media player and get a player that plays perfectly the files you want
I made a big mistake getting the himedia as I thought they might actually keep going on firmware fixes and especially major bugs
The dunes older dunes that I have do full menu for bluray and dvd--the himedia and micca dont which is a real pain for discs that are a series

Also a consideration to take into account is cooling if you are going to use a hard drive internally
Try to get a media player with a cooling fan--in the dunes you can turn it off in the dune menu if not using hdd's internally
The himedia and EP950 ARE really bad cooling system--there is a fan and a grill to expel air but no opening to let air in and especially around a internal hard drive
Edited by denass - 5/13/13 at 3:40am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Exhaustive Micca EP600 G2 review