or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › True Lies + The Abyss in 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

True Lies + The Abyss in 2013

post #1 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:


And in other news, this would normally go in The Rumor Mill, but it's easier to just post it here: We've been checking with our industry sources and have confirmed that 20th Century Fox is definitely planning to bring director James Cameron's The Abyss and True Lies to Blu-ray at long last. Sources tell us that the hope is to do a big promotion with the titles sometime next year. Why the wait? Cameron is a pretty busy guy these days, so these things take time. (Hey, when was the last time you tried diving to the deepest point in the ocean?) Nevertheless, rest assured that the two long-awaited films are definitely coming to Blu in the not-too-distant future.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwoc...02.html#031312

I have issues with Hunt but his rumors are normally not too far from the truth.
post #2 of 247
16x9 True Lies and The Abyss in the US? They're only about 10 years too late.
post #3 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

16x9 True Lies and The Abyss in the US? They're only about 10 years too late.

Make them uncut in the UK and with the original colour timing and I will be happy.
post #4 of 247
Mike: He'll revise the color timing for both.
post #5 of 247
Mike: Did you really dislike what he did to Aliens that much?
post #6 of 247
Looking forward to The Abyss especially after having to put up with the non-anamorphic DVD for so long. Hopefully a Cameron commentary. It would be fantastic if they got Cameron and Harris to do a commentary together.

Hopefully the movie will still be Cameron Blue not teal.

No True Lies for me, easily Cameron's worst film - bloated, meandering, borderline misogynistic.
post #7 of 247
Unfortunately, like LoA, the reality of these 2 BD releases fall under the heading of "I'll believe it when I see it."
post #8 of 247
Just wish Fox would release True Lies without his input.
post #9 of 247
As long as True Lies is left alone (unlike the Euro version of Executive Decision) and we get the theatrical release of Abyss alongside any director's cut, I'll be fine.
post #10 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

As long as True Lies is left alone (unlike the Euro version of Executive Decision) and we get the theatrical release of Abyss alongside any director's cut, I'll be fine.

They are both cut in the UK, altho the uncut True Lies sneaked out
post #11 of 247
I'm really looking forward to True Lies. Obviously it doesn't take itself too seriously; it is an action comedy. And Jamie Lee Curtis was pretty hot; I've seen some of her recent work as she has guest starred in a few episodes of NCIS, and she has aged well, but back in True Lies, wow, I might drop a tape recorder, too. "And what kind of sick b**** takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?" It brings a smile to my face. There are too many good quotes from True Lies.

I'm a little surprised The Abyss didn't get much attention as James Cameron recently piloted a sub literally into the abyss. It has been a long time since I last saw it; hopefully the effects don't look too dated.
post #12 of 247
Abysmal bottom of the ocean lack oxygen "Teal & Orange"...
post #13 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

I'm really looking forward to True Lies. Obviously it doesn't take itself too seriously; it is an action comedy. And Jamie Lee Curtis was pretty hot; I've seen some of her recent work as she has guest starred in a few episodes of NCIS, and she has aged well, but back in True Lies, wow, I might drop a tape recorder, too. "And what kind of sick b**** takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?" It brings a smile to my face. There are too many good quotes from True Lies.

I'm a little surprised The Abyss didn't get much attention as James Cameron recently piloted a sub literally into the abyss. It has been a long time since I last saw it; hopefully the effects don't look too dated.

That is the reason Ghosts of the Abyss is coming out, that and Titanic
post #14 of 247
You also might as well change the topic of this thread to TBA. Every year we keep hearing the same things -- some vague notion that "they're coming" -- and now it's "whenever Cameron gets around to it." Which could be 2013, 2014, 2015...fact is nobody knows, obviously, since he's such "a busy guy."
post #15 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Abysmal bottom of the ocean lack oxygen "Teal & Orange"...

Are you high? Because I'm still trying to decode that sentence.

I anticipate both of these will look great.
post #16 of 247
If you can't discuss this title without bringing politics into the discussion, it will be closed.
post #17 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Unfortunately, like LoA, the reality of these 2 BD releases fall under the heading of "I'll believe it when I see it."

Werd. Somehow I think when 2012 rolls in ...someone will forget to release these for some asinine reason.
post #18 of 247
It'd be funny if Cameron added more blue to The Abyss as it already has quite a bit of blue.
post #19 of 247
There were a lot of posts about terrorism and Cameron's political pandering. In either case, I just want the same True Lies I have on DVD, albeit perfectly remastered in 1080p with lossless audio. My D-Theater copy can only fulfill my need so well.
post #20 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Unfortunately, like LoA, the reality of these 2 BD releases fall under the heading of "I'll believe it when I see it."

amen to that! Sony had LoA in Blu-ray promotions at the launch of the format war.

and here we are...still no LoA
maybe Fox & Sony are in a contest for which studio can fool the public the longest
post #21 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

maybe Fox & Sony are in a contest for which studio can fool the public the longest

Either way, we're losing.
post #22 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

hopefully the effects don't look too dated.

I think they will hold up.....I hope.
post #23 of 247
The effects of the T-1000 in T2 don't really hold up all that well, but it doesn't detract from the Blu-ray. The Blu-ray detracts from the Blu-ray. LOL

Humor aside, my point remains. Abyss and True Lies will be great on Blu-ray as long as they are properly transfered, mastered, and encoded.
post #24 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Unfortunately, like LoA, the reality of these 2 BD releases fall under the heading of "I'll believe it when I see it."

Ding Ding Ding
post #25 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel View Post

It'd be funny if Cameron added more blue to The Abyss as it already has quite a bit of blue.

A safer bet would be more green and it would be sickly then funny.
post #26 of 247
Was my post deleted? All I stated was that I can be happy with my DVHS tape of the HD broadcast if the BD ends up being a turd, but that it would be terrific to have high end audio.
post #27 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Ding Ding Ding

Shame LOA was announced today then...
post #28 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Shame LOA was announced today then...

And your point is? When was oink's post submitted? Especially given the that the June 4 date was bogus.

larry
post #29 of 247
I've never been able to wrap my head around the Abyss DVD situation with the crappy non-anamorphic transfer.

You are James Cameron. You have undertaken a notorious, monumentally tough shoot to bring your vision to screen for this movie. After it's short run in theaters, the legacy of your work moves to home video, and in fact home video becomes at least as important to a movie's life span and legacy as it's theatrical run.

And you are known for your care for pushing technology and getting the best presentation possible.

And yet...you allow the legacy of this monumental film to languish in the crappiest, worst, out-dated version possible - non-anamorphic DVD! - in fact so substandard and out of date it is practically known as a touch-stone for ridiculous transfers.

All this time.

I just don't get it. If they were my movies representing my blood sweat and tears, I would want home audiences to see them in the best presentation possible.
post #30 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by r harkness View Post

i've never been able to wrap my head around the abyss dvd situation with the crappy non-anamorphic transfer.

You are james cameron. You have undertaken a notorious, monumentally tough shoot to bring your vision to screen for this movie. After it's short run in theaters, the legacy of your work moves to home video, and in fact home video becomes at least as important to a movie's life span and legacy as it's theatrical run.

And you are known for your care for pushing technology and getting the best presentation possible.

And yet...you allow the legacy of this monumental film to languish in the crappiest, worst, out-dated version possible - non-anamorphic dvd! - in fact so substandard and out of date it is practically known as a touch-stone for ridiculous transfers.

All this time.

I just don't get it. If they were my movies representing my blood sweat and tears, i would want home audiences to see them in the best presentation possible.

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › True Lies + The Abyss in 2013