or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › True Lies + The Abyss in 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

True Lies + The Abyss in 2013 - Page 3

post #61 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

Even Criterion, which was slow to adopt 16:9-enhanced DVDs, went anamorphic in July 1999 with the release of Insomnia.

Reusing the LD masters was a done thing back then, DVD was an untested format.
post #62 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I thought the local "Coke" dealer provided that???

I get the feeling you do not know the consequences a messed up catering can have on a studio.
post #63 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

I get the feeling you do not know the consequences a messed up catering can have on a studio.

LOL, I guess I don't.
post #64 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Call it what you want, using complementary colors in a film is nothing new. "Steel" blue and tan/orange is not really any better than "T&O". All I can say is that, technically wrong or right, it's no surprise that a lot of people point to Cameron as the father of this fad.

"Steely" blue and teal are not the same color. Cameron's early movies were notable for their steely blue scheme. The current teal fad didn't kick in as a major problem in Hollywood until the advent of Digital Intermediates in the early 2000s.

Yes, I understand what you're saying that blue can be used in a "complimentary" fashion against an opposite color just as teal can. And you obviously feel that this is just as bad as teal-and-orange. However, in my opinion (which is just that, my opinion), teal is a very gaudy and obnoxious color that draws attention to itself in a way that blue does not. In our everyday lives, teal is actually not all that prevalent a color in our interaction with the world, yet practically every movie made today is doused with it. It's an eye sore.

In a few years, another color fad will take over Hollywood, and suddenly every movie will be flourescent pink and lime green, and James Cameron will systematically set about remastering all of his old movies into pink and green. ("I always wanted the ocean in Titanic to be lime green. That was always my original intent.") Some people will defend it and think it looks cool, while some of us will feel like our eyes are being stabbed out.
post #65 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh z View Post

"steely" blue and teal are not the same color. Cameron's early movies were notable for their steely blue scheme. The current teal fad didn't kick in as a major problem in hollywood until the advent of digital intermediates in the early 2000s.

Yes, i understand what you're saying that blue can be used in a "complimentary" fashion against an opposite color just as teal can. And you obviously feel that this is just as bad as teal-and-orange. However, in my opinion (which is just that, my opinion), teal is a very gaudy and obnoxious color that draws attention to itself in a way that blue does not. In our everyday lives, teal is actually not all that prevalent a color in our interaction with the world, yet practically every movie made today is doused with it. It's an eye sore.

In a few years, another color fad will take over hollywood, and suddenly every movie will be flourescent pink and lime green, and james cameron will systematically set about remastering all of his old movies into pink and green. ("i always wanted the ocean in titanic to be lime green. That was always my original intent.") some people will defend it and think it looks cool, while some of us will feel like our eyes are being stabbed out.

+50
post #66 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Originally Posted by wuther
> I get the feeling you do not know the consequences a messed up catering can have on a studio.

LOL, I guess I don't.

I know you're a fan of Dune, oink. Food poisoning on set in Mexico set production back considerably. Dino de Laurentiis eventually paid to fly in catering from Italy.
post #67 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Yes, I understand what you're saying that blue can be used in a "complimentary" fashion against an opposite color just as teal can. And you obviously feel that this is just as bad as teal-and-orange. However, in my opinion (which is just that, my opinion), teal is a very gaudy and obnoxious color that draws attention to itself in a way that blue does not. In our everyday lives, teal is actually not all that prevalent a color in our interaction with the world, yet practically every movie made today is doused with it. It's an eye sore.

But it seems that even if a movie is just a tiny bit more greenish/bluish than some previous transfer, suddenly people are talking about it like it's been turned into a Michael Bay movie. Teal color schemes may not have been a fad until recently, but it was certainly a color that popped up sometimes. Just in the last couple months I've seen some old prints of a few 70s films that had distinct green-ish/teal-ish casts in many scenes, much like the Taxi Driver BD, which was also accused of being color timed for a more modern sensibility.... the frame of reference being, of course, the old video master. I understand if the whole film is drenched in it, like The Ring, but at some point it all gets quite silly. Titanic 3D looked perfectly normal (even though I'm already anticipating the color grading nitpicking that's sure to ensue), I have no reason to suspect James Cameron is out to make all his movies look like Aliens.
post #68 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I know you're a fan of Dune, oink. Food poisoning on set in Mexico set production back considerably. Dino de Laurentiis eventually paid to fly in catering from Italy.

Dang, I forgot all about that....

Ever since I was a little kid, I have known of the Gift-That-Keeps-On-Giving to be found in Ol' Mexico.
Living on the border tends to educate one in a hurry.
post #69 of 247
"The General (1926)" was tintED blue!!!
post #70 of 247
I gave up... it may be more than a yr for Abyss Blu...
sooooo, re-purchasED the SE DVD...
let's see what the 95 can do w/it tonight...
its GOT too be better than the HD comtastic smearfest!!!
post #71 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

"The General (1926)" was tintED blue!!!

I assume you mean originally as apposed to a mastering house deciding it would look better dripping yellow and green cause that's the latest fad.
post #72 of 247
It's about time these movies are coming out...
Where the heck have they been all this time?
For that matter, where the heck is Raiders of the Lost Ark...?
I'm to the point that I really don't care anymore. I'll buy them when the price goes down.
post #73 of 247
Teal — Green / Blue — Green dominates (harsher, darker, moodier appearance)
Cyan — Blue / Green — Blue dominates (cooler, lighter, bluer appearance) "steely blue"
post #74 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

It's about time these movies are coming out...
Where the heck have they been all this time?
For that matter, where the heck is Raiders of the Lost Ark...?
I'm to the point that I really don't care anymore. I'll buy them when the price goes down.

Raiders is out this year, these are out next year
post #75 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Raiders is out this year, these are out next year

I know...
I used to be excited about it...
post #76 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

I gave up... it may be more than a yr for Abyss Blu...
sooooo, re-purchasED the SE DVD...
let's see what the 95 can do w/it tonight...
its GOT too be better than the HD comtastic smearfest!!!

The SD DVD bested the HD Broadcast.
The HDB lOOkED like it was shot/projected though gauze.
Being blown-up too 16:9 accentuates the digital artifacts on the HDB.
Closeups were similar (w/o any movement); DVD backround detail was much better.

I "think" the CGI will hold up well too Blu.
I "think" the water tentacle will look flat & there will be little added detail too the aliens. Still, should be involving enough too enjoy (IMO).
The film retains an emotional punch after all these yrs.
Which HD/lossless may even add too.

[the bongos during the fight scene don't work too well tho!!! ]
post #77 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

The SD DVD bested the HD Broadcast.
The HDB lOOkED like it was shot/projected though gauze.
Being blown-up too 16:9 accentuates the digital artifacts on the HDB.
Closeups were similar (w/o any movement); DVD backround detail was much better.

What? When did you watch it because my DVHS completely destroys the DVD, which I gave away. I compared them when I first recorded the DVHS take years ago on a 95 inch screen and it was no contest.
post #78 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

What? When did you watch it because my DVHS completely destroys the DVD, which I gave away. I compared them when I first recorded the DVHS take years ago on a 95 inch screen and it was no contest.

99% sure he is talking Abyss
post #79 of 247
They should wait till 2014!
[25TH Abyss Anniversary]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

What? When did you watch it because my DVHS completely destroys the DVD, which I gave away. I compared them when I first recorded the DVHS take years ago on a 95 inch screen and it was no contest.

Abyss; lOOking pretty abysmal on HD cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

99% sure he is talking Abyss

Thanks, again, dvdmike!
post #80 of 247
Well there is no HD transfer of The ABYSS, hence my confusion in thinking he meant TRUE LIES.

Yeah, we NEED an HD transfer of The ABYSS. Enough already. And make sure it is really really orange and teal looking!!!
post #81 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Well there is no HD transfer of The ABYSS, hence my confusion in thinking he meant TRUE LIES.

Yeah, we NEED an HD transfer of The ABYSS. Enough already. And make sure it is really really orange and teal looking!!!

It lOOks like an up-convert.
Just "I HATE*" when people post a title "is" an up-convert w/o knowledge it truly is.

* it's not healthy too hate yourself!
post #82 of 247
Val Ling is on record as saying The Abyss has no HD transfer in the USA. There IS an HD transfer of the theatrical cut in Japan.
post #83 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Val Ling is on record as saying The Abyss has no HD transfer in the USA. There IS an HD transfer of the theatrical cut in Japan.

I have it, "HD" is a stretch
post #84 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Val Ling is on record as saying The Abyss has no HD transfer in the USA. There IS an HD transfer of the theatrical cut in Japan.

Van Ling.
post #85 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Van Ling.

Val is his sister.
post #86 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I have it, "HD" is a stretch

Christ, if it's actually 16:9 enhanced then that'll do!

Right, I'm off to have a look around the internets for, ah, nothing in particular.
post #87 of 247
The True Lies they show on Encore HD is most certainly a new transfer.
post #88 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Christ, if it's actually 16:9 enhanced then that'll do!

Right, I'm off to have a look around the internets for, ah, nothing in particular.

Its massive and cropped be warned
post #89 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

The True Lies they show on Encore HD is most certainly a new transfer.

I've noticed and I'm glad it's not the EE-fest that the old non-anamorphic dvd was. It ain't perfect but pair up with DTS-MA and I'm a happy camper.
post #90 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

The True Lies they show on Encore HD is most certainly a new transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I've noticed and I'm glad it's not the EE-fest that the old non-anamorphic dvd was. It ain't perfect but pair up with DTS-MA and I'm a happy camper.

How does it compare to the D-Theater version? (which can be "found" online...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › True Lies + The Abyss in 2013