or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Speaker Protection from little fingers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker Protection from little fingers

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hi folks,

as you all know kids love to poke their little fingers at our speakers, especially the tweeters. Is there a method to protect the tweeters so I don't have to worry about my 1.5 year old and 4 year old from damaging them?

My main worry is the centre B&W CM2 speaker which is only about 50cm from the floor. I did think about installing this in a cabinet but then I don't think it's going to sound as good.

I also thought about purchasing some heavy duty mesh. then attach it to the speaker using the screws that attach the tweeter to the housing. hhhmmmm, not to sure if this would alter the sound enough to be a problem?

What do you think?

don't even ask what I'm going to do about my CM8's

Any ideas?

Dave
post #2 of 27
I hate to sound like a d***, but you really should have bought speakers that come with grills...
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

I hate to sound like a d***, but you really should have bought speakers that come with grills...

Yeah they come with grills...little fingers don't let grills get in the way of curiosity .

Every other speaker in the house, including the PC speakers next to my PC look like meteors have impacted on the surface of the speaker cones.
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgson7 View Post

Hi folks,

as you all know kids love to poke their little fingers at our speakers, especially the tweeters. Is there a method to protect the tweeters so I don't have to worry about my 1.5 year old and 4 year old from damaging them?

My main worry is the centre B&W CM2 speaker which is only about 50cm from the floor. I did think about installing this in a cabinet but then I don't think it's going to sound as good.

I also thought about purchasing some heavy duty mesh. then attach it to the speaker using the screws that attach the tweeter to the housing. hhhmmmm, not to sure if this would alter the sound enough to be a problem?

What do you think?

don't even ask what I'm going to do about my CM8's

Any ideas?

Dave

I think you put the good stuff out of the reach of the kids and at least threaten massive problems should they ever touch it. I'm mean that way.

I've had some speakers that came with metal grills (Cambridge Soundworks, on a shelf somewhere). DIY afterwards might not be so clean and could interfere with the sound (but that's gotta be better than fingers ).
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I think you put the good stuff out of the reach of the kids and at least threaten massive problems should they ever touch it. I'm mean that way.

It's the only way I think; or you can try to tell the kids what you worry about your speakers, they may understand, en, maybe
post #6 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gubrien View Post

It's the only way I think; or you can try to tell the kids what you worry about your speakers, they may understand, en, maybe

Yeah that's like saying hear go and touch this all day long and poke it as hard as you can

Not saying my kids are bad theyre not, there great kids and do listen and respect the house, however they're only young and can't really be held responsible for some of their behaviour, not quite yet. But once you put an idea into their heads that they can't do something...well you folks with young kids out there will understand
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgson7 View Post


Yeah that's like saying hear go and touch this all day long and poke it as hard as you can

Not saying my kids are bad theyre not, there great kids and do listen and respect the house, however they're only young and can't really be held responsible for some of their behaviour, not quite yet. But once you put an idea into their heads that they can't do something...well you folks with young kids out there will understand

Ah yes, I will be running into that soon myself with a 1 yr old. My paradigm titans are on stands and thats going to be a huge issue for me
post #8 of 27
Have a paint gun handy. They touch your speaker and they get it on full auto!
post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Have a paint gun handy. They touch your speaker and they get it on full auto!

if only...lol
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Anyone else got any suggestions?
post #11 of 27
Teach your children well,
Their father's hell did slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.


Sorry I'm going through this same thing with my 17m old daughter..


Djoel
post #12 of 27
I would pack them up and bring them out in four years... I waited until my kids were old enough before I replaced my ht setup... Only to be sabotaged by a neighbors kid, who decided at 4 years to stick his finger into my tweeter on my paradigm studio cc690 center... $400 later... Btw.. The grill was attached.

Either put them on stands/pedestals or pack them.
post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
This ain't sounding too great
post #14 of 27
I would think 15,000 volts (no current!) applied to the aforementioned mesh should do it. It'd take maybe a couple of 'lessons' and you could then remove the offending voltage. No further 'instruction' should be necessary!
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgson7 View Post

This ain't sounding too great

Experiment with a small piece of perforated steel screen to find out how much it affects sound quality. If it sounds good enough, then use that--it may be the only effective option, as even speakers that are mounted out of reach, for example, can fall victim to flying objects.
post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

Experiment with a small piece of perforated steel screen to find out how much it affects sound quality. If it sounds good enough, then use that--it may be the only effective option, as even speakers that are mounted out of reach, for example, can fall victim to flying objects.

Yes...like Wii controllers .

I think this is my best option, a visit to my local hardware store may give me ideas as well.

thanks folks.
post #17 of 27
Spanking.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Spanking.

Exactly. Not too much of course, but enough for them to remember that if they touch the speakers they will feel a bit of pain. It works.
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
we don't spank our children, talking to them is enough, I won't punish them for being curious. I'm sure I'll sort something out.
post #20 of 27
I mounted mine above my 1.5 yr olds head to where he can't reach them. But my poor sub has had so many toys dropped inside! I plan on upgrading anyways, but I think I'll wait until our one on the way is old enough to know better. Good luck with a solution.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgson7 View Post

we don't spank our children, talking to them is enough, I won't punish them for being curious. I'm sure I'll sort something out.

If I tell them not to touch something, then I expect them not to touch it. If they touch your speaker that's being disobedient, not curious.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

If I tell them not to touch something, then I expect them not to touch it. If they touch your speaker that's being disobedient, not curious.

Do you even have kids? A 1.5 yr old who constantly does the opposite of what they're told isn't because they are being disobedient. In all actuality it's considered a development milestone , no ****. Also I don't think the OP was looking for patenting advice, but I may have misread the title.
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

If I tell them not to touch something, then I expect them not to touch it. If they touch your speaker that's being disobedient, not curious.

It takes time and patience teaching kids how to be obedient or "to do as they are told", they are only kids and are allowed to make mistakes.

Let's not start dishing out parenting advice and stick to the original question please.

thanks
Dave
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgson7 View Post

we don't spank our children, talking to them is enough, I won't punish them for being curious. I'm sure I'll sort something out.

Being curious is one thing. Going back time after time becomes obstinate behavior at some point. I still like my idea of a few thousand volts - the child doesn't associate you with the shock - which doesn't harm them - and it teaches a valuable lesson - when mom/dad say don't - watch out! You may get something you didn't expect. How valuable is that?

Wish I'd have thought of this years ago when my kids were young - I might still have a few pairs of speakers that little fingers destroyed.

All kidding aside - attaching grilles with small brackets or even some super glue that will come off with the proper force might save your speakers. I'd look into getting some grilles then attach them in a manner that makes it difficult to take off. As long as you never blow them yourself there'd be no need to remove them anyway. I think I'm more worried about kids pulling big speakers over on themselves. I put wood platforms on a pair of tower speakers I had years ago to prevent either of the kids from pulling them over on themselves. This didn't prevent one of them punching in the 8" drivers on both speakers one day - one more pair done in. Got bookshelf speakers after that and placed them up high in a bookcase where probing fingers could not easily reach.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgson7 View Post

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Yep... Sure do...

You turn them around and face the corner! - Works every time.

(the speakers that is.. not the kids... lol)
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

Do you even have kids? A 1.5 yr old who constantly does the opposite of what they're told isn't because they are being disobedient. In all actuality it's considered a development milestone , no ****. Also I don't think the OP was looking for patenting advice, but I may have misread the title.

Yes I do. I was assuming the children were old enough to understand what the word "no" means. To the OP: Can you get them high enough that the kids can't get to them and then secure the speakers to the wall with a strap so they can't be pulled over?
post #27 of 27
I had the same problem I got heavy duty mesh and shaped it around my speaker as te grill, as my baby stuck his finger on the factory grill and could touch my
Speaker cone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Speaker Protection from little fingers