or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 213

post #6361 of 6830
Turns out I just had to enable that channel in the Change Favorites List -> Edit Settings window.
Ooops!
post #6362 of 6830
Glad this is settled. I am not getting DD sound though. I get it on other locals(5/11/21). Is any one else experiencing this?
post #6363 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwrx View Post

Glad this is settled. I am not getting DD sound though. I get it on other locals(5/11/21). Is any one else experiencing this?

Everyone's experiencing this - KRDO doesn't broadcast in Dolby. I'm not an ABC fan to begin with and what little I do watch on it, especially football really sucks in comparison to the other networks.
post #6364 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

http://www.krdo.com/Global/story.asp?S=11778899

KRDO is pleased to announce we have come to an agreement with DirecTV for them to carry KRDO's high definition signal. Thursday morning at 4am KRDO will be added to DirecTV's HD tier. That means football fans on DirecTV will be able to watch the National Championship game in HD on Thursday evening.

"I'd like to thank all of our DirecTV viewers for their patience in resolving this situation and we sincerely hope you enjoy seeing all of the KRDO newscasts in HD along with all the great ABC programming", says KRDO General Manager Tim Larson.

DirecTV will begin airing KRDO in high definition early Thursday morning.

Is there a word that describes being simultaneously happy, PO'd, annoyed, and still lacking surround sound? I guess I am krdoed.
post #6365 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwrx View Post

Glad this is settled. I am not getting DD sound though. I get it on other locals(5/11/21). Is any one else experiencing this?

I got an email from KRDO General Manager Tim Larson on Wednesday to tell me they had gotten the deal done with DirecTV for their HD broadcasts. (I had emailed him a few times asking about this and he had evidently saved my emails.)
So when I replied back to him to thank him for the update I also asked about the Dolby Digital situation.
He replied: "Hopefully by May but it could be in June."
So those of us that are soccer fans could have DD for ABC's World Cup bradcasts!
post #6366 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by radckh View Post

I got an email from KRDO General Manager Tim Larson on Wednesday to tell me they had gotten the deal done with DirecTV for their HD broadcasts. (I had emailed him a few times asking about this and he had evidently saved my emails.)
So when I replied back to him to thank him for the update I also asked about the Dolby Digital situation.
He replied: "Hopefully by May but it could be in June."
So those of us that are soccer fans could have DD for ABC's World Cup bradcasts!

Good to hear they think they're getting close. I have called Tim Larson and J.R. the head engineer several times each and they rarely return calls. If/when I happened to catch them live, they would always say they had no idea when DD5.1 was coming or when they would be able to budget for the equipment.

But it will be right after LOST is done for good.
post #6367 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post

But it will be right after LOST is done for good.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing!
post #6368 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post

Is there a word that describes being simultaneously happy, PO'd, annoyed, and still lacking surround sound? I guess I am krdoed.

KRuDO !! That's the word you are looking for.
post #6369 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon View Post

KRuDO !! That's the word you are looking for.

Sounds too much like kudos, which is a good thing. Unless it's supposed to be pronounced crud-doh!

Scott
post #6370 of 6830
Looks like we'll have the pleasure of paying more for cable. See this article on CNN's website:

Why cable is going to cost you even more

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/06/news...ease/index.htm
post #6371 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

Looks like we'll have the pleasure of paying more for cable. See this article on CNN's website:

Why cable is going to cost you even more

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/06/news...ease/index.htm

I wonder how much of this is due to the FTC allowing these mega merges, and how much is due to the real costs they are seeing?

Scott
post #6372 of 6830
I just got a notice that DirecTV is jacking their prices next month - I calculated 5.2%. For most of us, our household income is down in the last year or two - inflation is zero - how can they justify +5.2% for my bill...?
post #6373 of 6830
i heard comcast did the same starting the 1st of the year. they follow each others move it seems.
post #6374 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post

I just got a notice that DirecTV is jacking their prices next month - I calculated 5.2%. For most of us, our household income is down in the last year or two - inflation is zero - how can they justify +5.2% for my bill...?

Gotta pay for that new satellite
post #6375 of 6830
When will KKTV move to channel 49? I am hit a miss with their signal, yes i have a VHF/UHF attenna, and i have LOS to Cheyenne Mountain, as i am up high, Woodmen and Lexington
post #6376 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookers View Post

When will KKTV move to channel 49? I am hit a miss with their signal, yes i have a VHF/UHF attenna, and i have LOS to Cheyenne Mountain, as i am up high, Woodmen and Lexington

Not before Spring.

- Trip
post #6377 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookers View Post

When will KKTV move to channel 49? I am hit a miss with their signal, yes i have a VHF/UHF attenna, and i have LOS to Cheyenne Mountain, as i am up high, Woodmen and Lexington

How's your Channel 8 reception? Just curious.
Cheers
post #6378 of 6830
KTSC comes in fine for me, i always check, as ia put a big honking antenna in my attic, i get channel 48 good also
post #6379 of 6830
I've been having sporadic internet outages that have been associated with system upgrades to my Comcast cable (my internet provider). In talking with the service rep today, I found out that Project Cavalry/World of More digital reclamation is about to begin in Colorado Springs. The marketing campaign and public announcements will start in Feb or Mar. DTA boxes will become available soon. Stay tuned.
Cheers.
post #6380 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

I've been having sporadic internet outages that have been associated with system upgrades to my Comcast cable (my internet provider). In talking with the service rep today, I found out that Project Cavalry/World of More digital reclamation is about to begin in Colorado Springs. The marketing campaign and public announcements will start in Feb or Mar. DTA boxes will become available soon. Stay tuned.
Cheers.

Did they mention what new HD channels would be coming?
post #6381 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by HateNewNHL View Post

Did they mention what new HD channels would be coming?

Unfortunately, no.
post #6382 of 6830
KBDI has just started broadcasting from Cheyenne Mountain. Channels 12-1 (PBS), 12-2 (Documentary) and 12-3 are coming in perfectly (I'm in Pueblo West). Unfortunately all they have right now is in SD, but it's a very good quality - looks good on my 42" plasma which is picking up the signals as either letterbox or 16:9 so I'm getting a full screen with no distortion. For those having problems with KTSC you might want to give it a look. The SD on 12-1 is far better than KTSC.

I just happened to notice it when I was scanning channels on a new HTPC I'm building. I had gotten these channels intermittently before from their Denver feed. The SD on 12-1 is far better than KTSC.
post #6383 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

KBDI has just started broadcasting from Cheyenne Mountain. Channels 12-1 (PBS), 12-2 (Documentary) and 12-3 are coming in perfectly (I'm in Pueblo West). Unfortunately all they have right now is in SD, but it's a very good quality - looks good on my 42" plasma which is picking up the signals as either letterbox or 16:9 so I'm getting a full screen with no distortion. For those having problems with KTSC you might want to give it a look. The SD on 12-1 is far better than KTSC.

I just happened to notice it when I was scanning channels on a new HTPC I'm building. I had gotten these channels intermittently before from their Denver feed. The SD on 12-1 is far better than KTSC.

Interesting. I wonder how their programming compares to RMPBS, I'll have to look at the schedules. Wonder if they will do any OTA HD broadcasting in the future. When I lived in Ft Collins back 90-92, their programming was better than Ch 6. But that was then, this is now and I haven't looked into their schedule since it was hard to get here.

Also, GatoViejo uses a small dish (1m class) satellite system for receiving PBS off their Ku-Band satellite feed. If all you were interested in was PBS, I'll bet you could put one of those up and no one (Homeowner Assn) would be the wiser. They'd probably think it was a DirecTV or Dish system. See his posts back around page 209 and 210.

Cheers
post #6384 of 6830
Here is a picture of the Digital Transport Adaptor accessory Comcast will be handing out free (up to 3 per household) when they start the analog to digital conversion in the next few months. You can see how small it is. I believe there is a controller which will be used to select channels. Your TV, DVR, etc. will have to be set to Ch 3 which of course limits the ability to record programming. I'm not sure if lifeline service (local channels and public access) will need a DTA or not (depends if they keep that service analog). We'll probably hear more soon. The media/marketing campaign should start next month (maybe March) I think. BTW the picture was originally posted by Marcus Carr over on the Comcast HDTV thread:


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/newre...ply&p=17984223

Cheers

post #6385 of 6830
Something tells me this ^^^ is gonna suck for S3/HDTivo users that do not use CableCards. In other words all my blury analog SD programming will disappear.
post #6386 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

Something tells me this ^^^ is gonna suck for S3/HDTivo users that do not use CableCards. In other words all my blury analog SD programming will disappear.

You are probably correct on that point. I asked about the implication for DVR and TV channel tuning over on the Comcast HD forum and got an answer that supports your thought.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...24081&page=337

Cheers
post #6387 of 6830
PaulGo over on the Comcast HD site posted this link to the DTA setup guide. Its not clear to me whether you can tune channels with your VCR (or other recording device). I'm doubtful given the need to keep your TV on Ch 3 and tune with the DTA controller. Its probably the same thing with recording device operation.

http://digitalnow.comcast.com/Conten...line_ver_2.pdf
post #6388 of 6830
If it uses an IR remote to change channels, there are products that allow other devices to change channels as if it were one nicely integrated package. It's been a long time since I checked into this, but I recall a product named IR Blaster for this situation.

Scott
post #6389 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post

If it uses an IR remote to change channels, there are products that allow other devices to change channels as if it were one nicely integrated package. It's been a long time since I checked into this, but I recall a product named IR Blaster for this situation.

Scott

Now consider this problem: Setting up a recording device to record multiple channels when not present. For example, I'd like to record Ch 8 at 8PM and Ch 46 at 9PM. If I'm not at home to change the DTA channel, the recording device will record Ch 8 at 9PM since its always set on Ch 3. At least that is my understanding of how it will operate. Of course if the recording device has a CableCard, it shouldn't be an issue (there's no need for a DTA). I think there are going to be a lot of surprised people out there since I'd suspect many recording devices in place don't have the CableCard option installed or are too old to accept it.

Cheers
post #6390 of 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

Now consider this problem: Setting up a recording device to record multiple channels when not present. For example, I'd like to record Ch 8 at 8PM and Ch 46 at 9PM. If I'm not at home to change the DTA channel, the recording device will record Ch 8 at 9PM since its always set on Ch 3. At least that is my understanding of how it will operate. Of course if the recording device has a CableCard, it shouldn't be an issue (there's no need for a DTA). I think there are going to be a lot of surprised people out there since I'd suspect many recording devices in place don't have the CableCard option installed or are too old to accept it.

Cheers

I have not done this, but I know people that have solved this exact problem with satellite systems already using the tools I mentioned in my previous post. The IR Blaster (or whatever the modern tech is called) will change the channel for you. It mimics a remote control. That's how it works. The biggest problem is if you want multiple tuners, then you need multiple units, multiple blasters, etc. People are using high quality analog capture devices that work just like this as a way to circumvent the need for CableCard using an approach I described. It works very well, and people seem to be satisified with it, even though you're going Digital to Analog to Digital.

Scott
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV