or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Hunger Games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hunger Games - Page 6

post #151 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Have her sent to me and I'll happily investigate. biggrin.gif


post #152 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

GWSAT,
I thought Jennifer Lawrence's performance was like she was sleep walking and/or stoned for most of the movie. Her line delivery was off and half the time she seemed bored and uninterested. Winter's Bone had a much better and more lively performance... and she was nominated for an Oscar. She may be a temperamental actor like Anthony Hopkins or Ewan McGregor where if they find the script silly (pay the rent type stuff) or the director without talent, they won't perform at their best and get lazy.

Although I usually agree with you, this time I must dissent. Like you, I was impressed with Lawrence's performance in Winter's Bone. Clearly, the material given her in The Hunger Games didn't allow her to ascend into the rarified atmosphere of her Winter's Bone performance but I still thought she was terrific. I think she does a great job of portraying tough minded and resourceful young heroines and that her talent was utilized effectively in The Hunger Games. Our rare disagreement here just goes to show what this thread has proved over and over again: The Hunger Games is controversial, unless you're a teenaged girl, of course.smile.gif
post #153 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post


ROFL! Your post of the pic of Jennifer Lawrence and its caption reminds me of the old joke where a spaceman runs into an extremely tall and beautiful woman on an alien planet and says, "Take me to your ladder, lady, I'll meet your leader later."smile.gif
post #154 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

ROFL! Your post of the pic of Jennifer Lawrence and its caption reminds me of the old joke where a spaceman runs into an extremely tall and beautiful woman on an alien planet and says, "Take me to your ladder, lady, I'll meet your leader later."smile.gif

LOL! Although if the guy wore the same shoes as Jennifer's it would level things out a bit wink.gif
post #155 of 177
She [Jennifer Lawrence] may be a temperamental actor like Anthony Hopkins or Ewan McGregor where if they find the script silly (pay the rent type stuff) or the director without talent, they won't perform at their best and get lazy.

She may; but it would seem to be a poor career move to give less than your best in what everyone knew would be among the top films of the year, a film that would make you millions of fans throughout the world. Katniss in the books was a stoic and closed person, not prone to show her true feelings. I thought Lawrence showed that pretty well.
post #156 of 177
We are in the blu-ray forum, so I'll get back to the topic.

We watched the rental last week at home. Sound was OK, but I imagine the lossless would be better.

The PQ was very good. It had the look of a digital film, but IMDB says it was shot on 35mm. By that, I mean that the contrast was sometimes off - dark areas had a gauzy look. This might, however, be due to the digital manipulation where backgrounds and effects were inserted. But, the horrible habits of boosted contrast and odd coloring were thankfully lacking. Also, I generally don't like CGI, and some of the CGI here was unconvincing, but pretty.

I, too, found the shakycam distracting, but as I became engrossed in the story, I forgot about it. I thought everyone's acting was fine. I've only caught a few minutes of Winter's Bone, so can't compare Lawrence's performance in that movie, but I thought she did a fine job here. I especially enjoyed Tucci's character.

Having enjoyed the book (but not enough to read the 2nd and 3rd - yet), I found the story pretty faithful. My wife and I were moved, especially by Rue's death scene. We watched the movie the next night at her niece's house. Now I realize that I really need to upgrade from our 768p plasma, because I could definitely see more detail on their 1080p plasma.
post #157 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

ROFL! Your post of the pic of Jennifer Lawrence and its caption reminds me of the old joke where a spaceman runs into an extremely tall and beautiful woman on an alien planet and says, "Take me to your ladder, lady, I'll meet your leader later."smile.gif

Good point. Jennifer Lawrence is a tall girl, 5'9", but she still isn't a goon.
post #158 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

My wife and I were moved, especially by Rue's death scene.
I was disappointed they ruined it by having the District's reaction be to riot instead of sending the bread...especially since it appeared to be a primarily black district. It's like they were saying, "oh, well of course THOSE people would riot..."

It kind of took away from the moment.

The bread was a nice gesture of thanks for Katnis caring so much and also showed how much groundswell support she was getting. In other words, that passive appeal was what would lead to the undoing of the rules of the games, not violence in the districts.
post #159 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I was disappointed they ruined it by having the District's reaction be to riot instead of sending the bread...especially since it appeared to be a primarily black district. It's like they were saying, "oh, well of course THOSE people would riot..."
It kind of took away from the moment.
The bread was a nice gesture of thanks for Katnis caring so much and also showed how much groundswell support she was getting. In other words, that passive appeal was what would lead to the undoing of the rules of the games, not violence in the districts.

Good points, and I forgot that it was different in the book.
post #160 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I was disappointed they ruined it by having the District's reaction be to riot instead of sending the bread...especially since it appeared to be a primarily black district. It's like they were saying, "oh, well of course THOSE people would riot..."
It kind of took away from the moment.
The bread was a nice gesture of thanks for Katnis caring so much and also showed how much groundswell support she was getting. In other words, that passive appeal was what would lead to the undoing of the rules of the games, not violence in the districts.

Nice points, but I wonder if you're being a little too sensitive about it. They only had x amount of screen time to get this book out of the way and sow the seeds for what is to come, hence the embiggening of Snow's role and showing us the fledgeling rebellion, which would otherwise have had to wait until Catching Fire when Katniss sees a glimpse of it on the Mayor's TV. The sponsors/gifts thing was largely overlooked in the film, and the bread - as lovely a gesture as it was - was a casualty of that. Little Rue's death is now the spark which set off the rebellion, and I haven't got a problem with that. The film is the film, the book is the book, and as long as the most crucial beats are treated with respect then, for me, the film is free to go in other directions.
post #161 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post


She is a stunner, no doubt about that! biggrin.gif
post #162 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by colohtpc View Post

I just watched my BR from Target last night. My daughter got me to read the book and I think the movie did about as well as it could pretty great really. Reading always for me is more in depth and they left out some really interesting things but hey they have to fit into 142 mins. The real reason I am posting is this: This is the only BR disc that I have that had three really bad "cracks" loud and I feared for my speakers safety. These happened in relatively low sounding scenes. I am a bit nervous to play it again. Question is it common or not to have a defective disc? Could it be some LFE that my lowly Energy 8" sub could not handle even thought the mids were quiet at the time? Can a person exchange an opened BR disc at Target?
Not sure where else I could post this. Any comments are welcome. May the odds be ever in your favor.


Do you have a Pioneer reciever ? Could be a known firmware issue called DTS bomb .It causes a loud pop or crack on DTS HD tracks sometimes.
post #163 of 177
Going to give this a second shot tonight. Hopefully I will enjoy it.
post #164 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Going to give this a second shot tonight. Hopefully I will enjoy it.

What's the verdict?
post #165 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

What's the verdict?

I enjoyed it the second time around.
post #166 of 177

Finally, somebody put into words what the screenplay's dialog sounded like to me! biggrin.gif
post #167 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I hope so....my NF copy arrives tomorrow and I will get a look in the evening.wink.gif

I was like you and was excited for NF to send it until I played it and found that the highly reviewed 7.1 DTS soundtrack was dumb downed DD5.1 on the rental...tragic.

That said, fun flick.
post #168 of 177
I posted on the official BD review thread some of the following:

1) Though I did not absolutely love The Hunger Games, I did find it very entertaining the first time I viewed it.

2) The fact that my 14-year-old daughter saw this twice in a 3-day period (and has now watched it twice again after that) says a lot to me, and is why I HIGHLY recommend it (and have enjoyed watching again with her).

3) I also HIGHLY recommend it since my wife loved it as well. I now find it better the more I see it. She was on the edge of her seat the first time she saw it, and cursing the bad guys even after watching it!

4) Since I live in Mexico, I bought the Mexican "Special BD + DVD Edition" and was very displeased to find out it ONLY has a DD 5.1 mix both for English and Spanish ON THE BLU-RAY DISC (when I was assured of the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track on amazon.com and is -- or so I thought -- always included on Mexican releases). What's more, the included DVD ONLY has DD 2.0 English and Spanish. What a load of BS!!!! On the other hand, the 5.1 track sounds good, but I can only imagine how much better the separation works in 7.1 lossless... Oh, well...

5) My version is 1.85:1 ratio, NOT 2.40:1, both for the BD and the DVD. More WTF!!! Again, it may be even more immersive on my 16:9 panel... Oh, well...

6) Does anyone, residing in the US or otherwise, have this same problem? This, I think, is my first Lionsgate BD, but it is a BD nonetheless. The reason I got into the whole Full-HD/7.1 HT/Blu-ray deal is that I CAN tell the difference, so I feel very let down!

7) One more thing I now notice, is that my "special edition" is far from being in any way special. In fact, it should be labeled "unspecial" or something and be at least 70% off retail price -- I'm not even getting the 2nd Disc people here are raving about. I'm gonna have to trade it in, if possible (Mexican policy is more difficult in that respect).

8) Then again, maybe I won't. My wife and daughter are enjoying it so much I won't be bothering with trying to trade it in or anything after all... Anywho, studios should be more careful what they have to offer the world, literally!
post #169 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

"...it should be labeled "unspecial" or something...
biggrin.gif That would be a hilarious quote if it wasn't so sad. This is the first I've heard of non-rental BDs being so dumbed down in non-US markets. What's the point in Lionsgate spending money to make all those changes, instead of just selling the same version everywhere?
post #170 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

biggrin.gif That would be a hilarious quote if it wasn't so sad. This is the first I've heard of non-rental BDs being so dumbed down in non-US markets. What's the point in Lionsgate spending money to make all those changes, instead of just selling the same version everywhere?

I know!

Thx for the empathy, dougotte... I have to be optimistic and think gears are now set in motion (that's meant for you, Lions-cheaps-gate!) rolleyes.gif
post #171 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Nice points, but I wonder if you're being a little too sensitive about it. They only had x amount of screen time to get this book out of the way and sow the seeds for what is to come, hence the embiggening of Snow's role and showing us the fledgeling rebellion, which would otherwise have had to wait until Catching Fire when Katniss sees a glimpse of it on the Mayor's TV. The sponsors/gifts thing was largely overlooked in the film, and the bread - as lovely a gesture as it was - was a casualty of that. Little Rue's death is now the spark which set off the rebellion, and I haven't got a problem with that. The film is the film, the book is the book, and as long as the most crucial beats are treated with respect then, for me, the film is free to go in other directions.
Except, it would have taken less time for a loaf of crude bread to drop in on her and to have her thank the district for it then to cut to the exposition scene of rioting. Plus, they managed to work in both the salve and the soup sponsored gifts - what's one more to be more true to both the book and the feel of that moment.

The whole point of that moment was for Katniss gain the sympathy and admiration of the public. Instead, we get a riot that fails to supply that moment.

Further, why shouldn't we have to wait until the Catching Fire? Did anyone at all expect it wouldn't be made? Before Hunger Games was even released people were already assuming it would be box office gold.
Edited by NetworkTV - 10/9/12 at 8:37pm
post #172 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

I posted on the official BD review thread some of the following:

2) The fact that my 14-year-old daughter saw this twice in a 3-day period (and has now watched it twice again after that) says a lot to me, and is why I HIGHLY recommend it (and have enjoyed watching again with her).

I wouldn't base my recommendation on a modern teenager... any teenager for that matter. Most of them don't have a solid concept of what makes a good movie. Just look at all the drivel being made for that age group these days. I hear one more "Transformers is the greatest movie series EVER!" and I think I'm gonna scream.
post #173 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Finally, somebody put into words what the screenplay's dialog sounded like to me! biggrin.gif

LOL that was funny! biggrin.gif
post #174 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I wouldn't base my recommendation on a modern teenager... any teenager for that matter. Most of them don't have a solid concept of what makes a good movie. Just look at all the drivel being made for that age group these days. I hear one more "Transformers is the greatest movie series EVER!" and I think I'm gonna scream.

It was never meant as a serious recommendation to any of us film lovers (notice I also mentioned I only found it quite entertaining, and not absolutely loving it), but rather a recommendation if you found yourselves in a similar situation, with younger audiences at home, or as a present for a niece or nephew, that sort of thing. Heck, maybe even for those of you who might enjoy other films which tend to be approved by "modern" teens, Transformers or otherwise! wink.gif

This drivel is much better than most, BTW. Take Twilight, for instance! Just an opinion...
post #175 of 177
Solid buy at $7 or so IMO.
post #176 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Although I usually agree with you, this time I must dissent. Like you, I was impressed with Lawrence's performance in Winter's Bone. Clearly, the material given her in The Hunger Games didn't allow her to ascend into the rarified atmosphere of her Winter's Bone performance but I still thought she was terrific. I think she does a great job of portraying tough minded and resourceful young heroines and that her talent was utilized effectively in The Hunger Games. Our rare disagreement here just goes to show what this thread has proved over and over again: The Hunger Games is controversial, unless you're a teenaged girl, of course.smile.gif



My goodness gwsat


Do you know how prophetic this makes you look?


Remind me never to disagree with you, Ever!
post #177 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

My goodness gwsat


Do you know how prophetic this makes you look?


Remind me never to disagree with you, Ever!

Although I have admired Jennifer Lawrence ever since her knockout performance in Winter's Bone, when I posted the remarks to which you responded, I had no idea she would win the Best Actress Oscar for her performance in Silver Linings Playbook, I was rooting hard for Jessica Chastain. Nevertheless, I was delighted that Lawrence won. I thought that, other than Chastain, Lawrence was the only credible nominee.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Hunger Games