or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › SVS PB10 NSD paired with Paradigm Mini-Monitors?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SVS PB10 NSD paired with Paradigm Mini-Monitors?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I'm looking at possibly buying my younger brother a sub as a birthday present and am considering some different options. He's currently running Paradigm Mini-Monitors v6 and an old entry level Klipsch sub. I was hoping to only spend up to $200, so I'm thinking that used is going to be the best route to maximize value.

His listening habits are about 50% HT/Gaming and 50% music. The listening area is about 14x20x7. It is a carpeted room in a basement with dry wall ceilings and walls. There have been some room treatments to include Auralex foam panels and a couple Auralex bass traps.

I've done quite a bit of searching and reading and the SVS PB 10 seems like a solid value at this price point, but I would like to get some more specific input to aid my decision making. I found a listing of one for $250 OBO. I'm still waiting to hear from the seller which version the sub is. I will update the thread once I hear back. I have a couple questions:

-How good of a match would it be with the Mini Monitors?

-Does it have the tightness and articulateness for music to pair well with the Paradigms?

-Would it likely have enough output to fill the space of the listening area?


Thanks for reading and any and all feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan
post #2 of 12
Quote:


I found a listing of [a PB10-NSD] for $250 OBO.

That sounds like a very reasonable price for a gently-used unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffusmc_09 View Post

-How good of a match would it be with the Mini Monitors?

Since subs don't need to be "timber matched" to speakers, it would be a perfectly good match.

Quote:


-Does it have the tightness and articulateness for music to pair well with the Paradigms?

It may not be as tight and articulate as a sealed sub, but I found that the BASH-powered PB10-NSD I used to own was actually pretty good with music (better than the PB12-NSD I upgraded to) and great for HT.

Quote:


-Would it likely have enough output to fill the [14x20x7] space of the listening area?

Yes.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thank you very much for the input. Yeah my guess was it would match fine with the Mini-Monitors given that subs don't need to be timbre matched like the rest of the speakers. I just mostly wanted to make sure that the two were of roughly equivalent SQ. I had looked at a BIC PL-200 when I was looking at buying new, but I just felt like it really wouldn't have the musicality to pair with the Mini-monitors for critical listening.

I have a sealed Rythmik F15HP and love it, but unfortunately their subs are at a whole different price point and there aren't many out there on the used market. I also have been looking at used HSU and Outlaw models, but haven't been able to find anything in my limited price range unfortunately.
post #4 of 12
I agree that the PB10nsd would make for a great all around match for the mini monitors and at $250, a good deal. In the event that you cannot come across a solid used sub, the Energy S10.3 is a great place to start for a budget new sub. It tends to go on sale at times for as little as $200 on newegg.com
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

I agree that the PB10nsd would make for a great all around match for the mini monitors and at $250, a good deal. In the event that you cannot come across a solid used sub, the Energy S10.3 is a great place to start for a budget new sub. It tends to go on sale at times for as little as $200 on newegg.com

Thanks for the input. I have considered the Energy S10 as it seems to be a pretty good value. To what degree would the Pb 10 outperform the S10?
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffusmc_09 View Post

To what degree would the Pb 10 outperform the S10?

It's been a while since I had both subs, but while the S10.3 was (and is) a very impressive sub for its size and its price (when on sale for ~$200), the PB10-NSD played much louder much cleaner. It is the better sub.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply Eljay. The sub is from Dec 31 of 2009 and is actually a PB-10 ISD and it has the Bash amplifier. From what I've read the ISD seems pretty similar to the NSD with the difference being the driver.

In your guys opinions would the PB10 ISD still be a good buy for around $200?
post #8 of 12
Quote:


In your guys opinions would the PB10 ISD still be a good buy for around $200?

IMO, yes, assuming:
- it's in very good (or better) cosmetic condition;
- it's in 100% working order; and, perhaps most importantly,
- you trust the vendor re. the sub's reliability (i.e., he hasn't had any issues with it).
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffusmc_09 View Post

Thanks for the input. I have considered the Energy S10 as it seems to be a pretty good value. To what degree would the Pb 10 outperform the S10?

the PB10 will play deeper and louder. The old Energy 12.3 would have given the PB10 a run for its money though. I had one of those and it was one of the few retail brand subs that delivered (for its price of around $400-500) and compared head to head with the PB10
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

the PB10 will play deeper and louder. The old Energy 12.3 would have given the PB10 a run for its money though. I had one of those and it was one of the few retail brand subs that delivered (for its price of around $400-500) and compared head to head with the PB10

It's still impressive what SVS could do with a 10" driver in a moderately price subwoofer. Does Energy have anything equivalent today to the 12.3? Perhaps that could be another sub worth looking into used.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

It's still impressive what SVS could do with a 10" driver in a moderately price subwoofer. Does Energy have anything equivalent today to the 12.3? Perhaps that could be another sub worth looking into used.

I would say the Energy 12.3/Mirage S12 was probably their best bang for buck sub they ever made. It was musical, clean, accurate and had decent extension for its (discounted) price.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
I ended up picking up the PB 10 for $200. I only had it for part of a night before I had to ship it out to my brother so my interaction was a bit limited, but overall it seemed like a very good sub for it's price point. He should be getting it tomorrow. Thanks again for all the replies and input!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › SVS PB10 NSD paired with Paradigm Mini-Monitors?