or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › What is the best player? Boxee Box, PCH A-300, Dune, WDTV2, AIOS, or NeoTV550?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the best player? Boxee Box, PCH A-300, Dune, WDTV2, AIOS, or NeoTV550? - Page 2

post #31 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

Holy MOTHER OF GOD! Are you serious?????

Are you a previous micca owner? Have you test any micca? if so post your experience in micca threat .... If not, dont make absurd coments.
post #32 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

I have The micca ep950
100% in 3d just perfect
100% in 2d just perfect

Just make your own search in this fóruns about The users experience with micca.
Hey guys everyone is sharing their experiênces in streamers, Dont bash a player that you never tried before.

The realtek might be slower than sigma, but at least realtek has 3d And a anwsome image quality, search or do your own tests.

Is it ok if I bash it since I tried it?
post #33 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

Are you a previous micca owner? Have you test any micca? if so post your experience in micca threat .... If not, dont make absurd coments.

I have had 17 streamers in the last year. Yes, I am a previous micca owner. And one day, I will post in the micca thread. The micca has potential, but it is NOT the be all end all of streamers..
post #34 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

I have had 17 streamers in the last year. Yes, I am a previous micca owner. And one day, I will post in the micca thread. The micca has potential, but it is NOT the be all end all of streamers..

17...dear God...Them i assume your experience is very important to all of us.
Yes looking forward to see your micca review. Maybe we can help you to improve your experience with micca since you are minority with issues.


Take a look at micca threat you will be impressed.
post #35 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

17...dear God...Them i assume your experience is very important to all of us.
Yes looking forward to see your micca review. Maybe we can help you to improve your experience with micca since you are minority with issues.

Take a look at micca threat you will be impressed.

Yes, it is a hobby for me to try this things. I also have a Denon 4311 and a Panny ae7000U projector, so you probably know why I am unhappy with the micca I tried!
post #36 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

Yes, it is a hobby for me to try this things. I also have a Denon 4311 and a Panny ae7000U projector, so you probably know why I am unhappy with the micca I tried!

Probably The denon 4311, another user experience the same with a denon 4311 this week.

He tried with a different receiver And worked fine.
post #37 of 126
I am like streamerlover I buy all sorts of different media players just to test them for the fun of it. I have not personally owned a MICCA yet Its on the list to buy after I sale some of my current units I am no longer am playing with. But we all have to remember what works for some people dont work for others we all have different media needs.

So while you might think the micca is perfect is might be horrible to someone else. I tell people always try to buy from some places the accepts returns if you have issues within the first two weeks of owning a player sale it. Even network setups makes a difference. As an example I gave a friend one of my old A200 pch models and he kept getting stuttering and was blaming the player. I even tried all I could do to get it to work, I finally dragged my 4u NAS to his house and all of his problems were his computer not keeping up the network stream.
post #38 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

I am like streamerlover I buy all sorts of different media players just to test them for the fun of it. I have not personally owned a MICCA yet Its on the list to buy after I sale some of my current units I am no longer am playing with. But we all have to remember what works for some people dont work for others we all have different media needs.

So while you might think the micca is perfect is might be horrible to someone else. I tell people always try to buy from some places the accepts returns if you have issues within the first two weeks of owning a player sale it. Even network setups makes a difference. As an example I gave a friend one of my old A200 pch models and he kept getting stuttering and was blaming the player. I even tried all I could do to get it to work, I finally dragged my 4u NAS to his house and all of his problems were his computer not keeping up the network stream.

Theres a reason to call this devices media player, are made to play, but i see people around calling them streamers. hard drive>media player>play
Keep it simple.
post #39 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

Theres a reason to call this devices media player, are made to play, but i see people around calling them streamers. hard drive>media player>play
Keep it simple.

Would be nice but some of us have way to much media for that. I dvr every show my house hold watches and then have to archive it cause we all dont watch at the same time, Then also rip and store every movie we buy. Plus I have 4 players hooked up in 4 different rooms, So Network streaming is all I can do.
post #40 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 View Post

the 1186 is not faster then the sigma, the only thing which it has is 3D mvc support thats currently the only advantage, no BD license so no BD menus, the processing power is lower, the network performance is really bad and thats strange since realtek does network stuff, image quality is not as good as on sigma, audio processing is not as good as on sigma, get your facts right before you compare an lowendchip with an more advanced chip.

Even if i would use a player with Realtek chip, which will never happen, then i would get an Iconbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 View Post

sure i work for Dune thats also the main reason why i use a Popcornhour device ,
and no i don't work for a mediaplayer company.
i use cheap hdmi cables, for music i use some better cables more midrange.
The network has nothing todo with a different chip it gets handled by the soc and nothing else, thats why the sigma is around 2 times faster then the realtek on network, because it has more processing power.

you say the realtek is clocked higher lol, sorry but now you are getting funny

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/uploads/...SMP8640_br.pdf

A300 has SMP8646: 800Mhz CPU/FPU, 400Mhz IPU, 256KB L2 Cache, 3 400Mhz Audio Dsps
Micca has Realtek 1186: 750Mhz

on processing power the realtek is compareable to the SMP8670 which is a lowcost chip from sigma.

regarding the image quality of the micca, i made a youtube vid a few days ago, testing against my other devices.

minute 0-1 samsung bd-d5550 (original 2D disc)
minute 1-2 htpc w/ xbmc (iso 2D)
minute 2-3 micca ep950 (iso 2D)

tell me if you can see the difference between them or theres any low quality (use the 1080p vid option)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W949F7_BkU

also check the 3 images from same devices in here
post #41 of 126
canton160,

I think you are a Micca fan boy since it worked for you, but you've got to realize there are more things that can affect PQ.

Quote:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B
Did you calibrate each source to the display before comparison? What is your feeling on the video quality between XBMC and the Micca?

B.
no, didn't calibrate anything... even the tv is factory calibrated, the images show exactly how i watch my movies, just pause the movies in aprox same second.

The xbmc image is more animated like a cartoon.
The micca image gives a more realist movie, more like the samsung.

but is difficult to see this small details in naked eye in 40 inch tv led, even 2 meters away, unless if you have a projector... maybe its a different story

My TV's have been calibrated by using someone else's setting who have the same TV as I do. It made a big difference in PQ.

I am not saying that Micca isn't a good product, but Micca isn't the best product out there. To be honest, there isn't one media player out there that is the super duper best!
post #42 of 126
Hard to tell image quality from screenshots but it looks like wrong color profiles for xbmc, what color profiles where you using for each device? comparing quality of any 1080p player is almost mute, they all output the same 1080p bit per bit the difference comes down to color profile mapping if they are using the right profile and what not And if you are letting the tv do post processing on the image also
post #43 of 126
I wasn't a believer in xbmc until I started using it.. Smashes all media players with one big slap to the cheek
post #44 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Hard to tell image quality from screenshots but it looks like wrong color profiles for xbmc, what color profiles where you using for each device? comparing quality of any 1080p player is almost mute, they all output the same 1080p bit per bit the difference comes down to color profile mapping if they are using the right profile and what not And if you are letting the tv do post processing on the image also

excellent my dear sir
you are completely right

all profiles are factory calibrated, micca, samsung tv and player and htpc

some experts already told me the same thing before, but my knowledge is not that advance to get right profile color . i prefer no to mess around.

the samsung post processing is to avoid judder.

thats the only thing i did around in samsung tv
"Prior to calibration, we tried out all the different motion-affecting settings on the Samsung UE40D6530, and settled on enabling [Motion Plus] with the “Custom” mode set for maximum blur reduction and no judder reduction. We also enabled [LED Motion Plus], which makes a noticeable improvement to the reproduction of fine moving details (at the expense of some brightness – moreso, we think, than the higher-end "

for my standards in a 40" tv, it got more quality than i expect.

@gusgus748s
you are right I'm getting a micca fanboy
post #45 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

canton160,

I think you are a Micca fan boy since it worked for you, but you've got to realize there are more things that can affect PQ.



My TV's have been calibrated by using someone else's setting who have the same TV as I do. It made a big difference in PQ.

I am not saying that Micca isn't a good product, but Micca isn't the best product out there. To be honest, there isn't one media player out there that is the super duper best!

Hey, nothing wrong with being a fan boy! I am a big Dune fan boy! Although I still like my neotv 550 for a lot of things as well. I get his enthusiasm for the micca, although I don't share it. I also give him a lot of credit becasue I don't think his native language is English and he is doing a damn fine job of posting up his finding for us!
post #46 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

I wasn't a believer in xbmc until I started using it.. Smashes all media players with one big slap to the cheek

Agreed!!!!!!! Discovered this about a month ago after using htpc's for the last 12 + yrs.. Don't know why I didn't find xbmc faster,but could never go back!!

I do have WD media players with modified firmwares that mimick the look and feel of xbmc and they are quite awesome to me as well. Able to play everything i throw at them off my server.

brickie
post #47 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

I have The micca ep950
100% in 3d just perfect
100% in 2d just perfect

Just make your own search in this fóruns about The users experience with micca.
Hey guys everyone is sharing their experiênces in streamers, Dont bash a player that you never tried before.

The realtek might be slower than sigma, but at least realtek has 3d And a awesome image quality, search or do your own tests.

the micca ep950 is exactly the same unit himedia 900b
It has bad design flaws and is crap
I have a dune and a 900b---the 900b is rebadged to micca ep950
I have done extensive research and had mine striped and modified--the cooling of an internal drive is non existent--there is a fan but no inlet for the air to come in especially if you use the side sata jacks--If you put a hard drive inside and especially a 7200rpm one you risk decreasing its lifespan because of the heat
the dune is stable with everything it plays--the 900b even with micca firmware doesnt.
Can you get a jukebox on micca or 900b to work properly--no you cant but can easily on the dune
post #48 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

the micca ep950 is exactly the same unit himedia 900b
It has bad design flaws and is crap
I have a dune and a 900b---the 900b is rebadged to micca ep950
I have done extensive research and had mine striped and modified--the cooling of an internal drive is non existent--there is a fan but no inlet for the air to come in especially if you use the side sata jacks--If you put a hard drive inside and especially a 7200rpm one you risk decreasing its lifespan because of the heat
the dune is stable with everything it plays--the 900b even with micca firmware doesnt.
Can you get a jukebox on micca or 900b to work properly--no you cant but can easily on the dune

no one should be shoving 7200 rpm drives in ANY media player...
just my 2 cents..
post #49 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

Simple, the Miccas have the newest 1186 processor from Realtek which has more grunt than the latest Sigma - 750Mhz vs 700Mhz - backed by 512MB DDR3 RAM. I have a review on this site, I've tested close to 50 files since that review from 480i to 1080p and I have not had a single playback issue. Now that is impressive. The firmware is solid too. So, what can beat the Micca? Not the WD, not the Pivos, and definitely not the Himedia.

(this goes to everyone arguing about the general purpose CPU core speed & RAM size)
Software is WAY more important than CPU. All of these SoCs have separate circuits for video decoding and processing, and nothing performed in the CPU should be taxing enough to make a difference. Unless the CPU is performing some intensive unaccelerated operation (like file decompression, copies over USB or network, decryption, unnecessary fancy UI effects, running Android/other VM), CPU-caused latency is likely a sign of inefficient software.

More RAM allows for bigger buffers, but RAM speed on any of these devices is going to be sufficient for the video processing the SoC supports... unless there are some crazy UI effects.

In other words, unless you are actually writing software for these devices, compare capabilities and actual playback peformance and ignore CPU/RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

No matter how blazzing fast is your local network.
No matter if is all gigabyte.
No matter if the server/nas/unraid is hiper-mega-fast
No matter how perfect is the streamer.

If you streaming high definition movies by wireless it will Shutter get cat6 all over the house or at least a powerline for $100.
Job done.

Streaming HD requires a properly configured 802.11n network. It's not that hard to get right, although it's really easy to get it wrong and experience weird performance issues (protip: sometimes it's not actually a wireless problem). Some people just have bad luck. In a fairly clean RF environment, there's a good chance of success with slow NAS, fast Ethernet (100 mbit), and retail 802.11n equipment.

This kind of contradicts what I said above about CPU, but it's theoretically possible that some SoC and USB wifi combinations might actually tax the CPU a lot. The USB bus is CPU intensive and a good device driver quality might not be able to make up for a poor design in the wifi adapter.
post #50 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj9 View Post



Streaming HD requires a properly configured 802.11n network. It's not that hard to get right, although it's really easy to get it wrong and experience weird performance issues (protip: sometimes it's not actually a wireless problem). Some people just have bad luck. In a fairly clean RF environment, there's a good chance of success with slow NAS, fast Ethernet (100 mbit), and retail 802.11n equipment.

This kind of contradicts what I said above about CPU, but it's theoretically possible that some SoC and USB wifi combinations might actually tax the CPU a lot. The USB bus is CPU intensive and a good device driver quality might not be able to make up for a poor design in the wifi adapter.

Speaking from experience and from listening to others here on the forum, I would just like to add that you are clearly INSANE if you think that "it's not that hard to get right". I think there is ONE person who has been able to wirelessly stream high bitrate blu-ray iso files and even that is questionable.
Well, maybe "insane" is too strong of a word...Well no, I think it fits...
post #51 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj9 View Post

(this goes to everyone arguing about the general purpose CPU core speed & RAM size)
Software is WAY more important than CPU. All of these SoCs have separate circuits for video decoding and processing, and nothing performed in the CPU should be taxing enough to make a difference. Unless the CPU is performing some intensive unaccelerated operation (like file decompression, copies over USB or network, decryption, unnecessary fancy UI effects, running Android/other VM), CPU-caused latency is likely a sign of inefficient software.

More RAM allows for bigger buffers, but RAM speed on any of these devices is going to be sufficient for the video processing the SoC supports... unless there are some crazy UI effects.

In other words, unless you are actually writing software for these devices, compare capabilities and actual playback peformance and ignore CPU/RAM.


Streaming HD requires a properly configured 802.11n network. It's not that hard to get right, although it's really easy to get it wrong and experience weird performance issues (protip: sometimes it's not actually a wireless problem). Some people just have bad luck. In a fairly clean RF environment, there's a good chance of success with slow NAS, fast Ethernet (100 mbit), and retail 802.11n equipment.

This kind of contradicts what I said above about CPU, but it's theoretically possible that some SoC and USB wifi combinations might actually tax the CPU a lot. The USB bus is CPU intensive and a good device driver quality might not be able to make up for a poor design in the wifi adapter.

everything you said make sense to me.
thank you for the comments.
post #52 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj9 View Post

More RAM allows for bigger buffers, but RAM speed on any of these devices is going to be sufficient for the video processing the SoC supports... unless there are some crazy UI effects.

In other words, unless you are actually writing software for these devices, compare capabilities and actual playback peformance and ignore CPU/RAM.


Streaming HD requires a properly configured 802.11n network. It's not that hard to get right, although it's really easy to get it wrong and experience weird performance issues (protip: sometimes it's not actually a wireless problem). Some people just have bad luck. In a fairly clean RF environment, there's a good chance of success with slow NAS, fast Ethernet (100 mbit), and retail 802.11n equipment.

I have been using my 802.11N network for streaming movies from Amazon for a couple of years. No problems. This is from a D-Link DDR-825 to a N-modem on my Sony NV-1 in the next room.
post #53 of 126
LMFAO at this thread... so much misinformation spewing in this pissing contest.... keep it coming because it is amusing...
post #54 of 126
Thread Starter 
Based on the responses so far...

it seems to be between three devices

A-300
Micca 600
Popbox v8 or a-210

Sadly none of these have hulu plus or netflix but these aren't essential.


Any others I missed?

The A300 would win except that it seems to be twice as expensive. But in terms of performance, if it's definitely the better device, I'll get it.

How much slower is the pop box or a-210 vs a-300?

How much slower is the boxee box than these devices?


I will need to connect via wifi, so built in wifi is a plus (a con for Micca). How much would the wifi dongle run me?

Also any ideas on the cheapest place to buy Micca? Ebay?
post #55 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikoogle View Post

Based on the responses so far...

it seems to be between three devices

A-300
Micca 600
Popbox v8 or a-210

Sadly none of these have hulu plus or netflix but these aren't essential.


Any others I missed?

The A300 would win except that it seems to be twice as expensive. But in terms of performance, if it's definitely the better device, I'll get it.

How much slower is the pop box or a-210 vs a-300?

How much slower is the boxee box than these devices?


I will need to connect via wifi, so built in wifi is a plus (a con for Micca). How much would the wifi dongle run me?

Also any ideas on the cheapest place to buy Micca? Ebay?

If you are willing to spend the money on a popcorn hour a300 then you should also be looking at the Dune series as well. If you care about High Def audio you might want to wait until the a300 gets that straightened out..
post #56 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikoogle View Post

Based on the responses so far...

it seems to be between three devices

A-300
Micca 600
Popbox v8 or a-210

Sadly none of these have hulu plus or netflix but these aren't essential.


Any others I missed?

The A300 would win except that it seems to be twice as expensive. But in terms of performance, if it's definitely the better device, I'll get it.

How much slower is the pop box or a-210 vs a-300?

How much slower is the boxee box than these devices?


I will need to connect via wifi, so built in wifi is a plus (a con for Micca). How much would the wifi dongle run me?

Also any ideas on the cheapest place to buy Micca? Ebay?

Micca ep600 g2 $110 amazon.com And adorama.com a wifi dongle is cheap check micca threat.
post #57 of 126
Thread Starter 
I thought the dunes have an older slower CPU. I can't justify spending 200+ and not getting cutting edge tech.

How are the dune hd tvs? Those seem cheap.

If I also wanted Hulu plus. What are my best options.

Thank you so much again for all your help.
post #58 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikoogle View Post

I thought the dunes have an older slower CPU. I can't justify spending 200+ and not getting cutting edge tech.

How are the dune hd tvs? Those seem cheap.

If I also wanted Hulu plus. What are my best options.

Thank you so much again for all your help.

That's easy get a Roku box and then a dedicated media player for your ripped content. Or you can give WDTV Live a try since they support Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Pandora and other internet streaming media, and you can also play your ripped content.

Dune are more expensive, and they have older hardware, but they work, and they've got a lot different jukeboxes to choose from, and you can customize the looks of the UI as well. Over all Dune are pretty solid media player, but I do agree with you that Dunes are just over prices units now.
post #59 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikoogle View Post

I thought the dunes have an older slower CPU. I can't justify spending 200+ and not getting cutting edge tech.

How are the dune hd tvs? Those seem cheap.

If I also wanted Hulu plus. What are my best options.

Thank you so much again for all your help.

I got into this with someone on another forum...
Do you want "older and slower" that WORKS?
Or do you want "cutting edge" with all that entails. ie hd audio issues, network shares issues etc.
No experience as yet with the Dune hd tvs. I have been using Dunes since their "base" and "prime" models and now have a "MAX" and "D1" unit.
post #60 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

I got into this with someone on another forum...
Do you want "older and slower" that WORKS?
Or do you want "cutting edge" with all that entails. ie hd audio issues, network shares issues etc.
No experience as yet with the Dune hd tvs. I have been using Dunes since their "base" and "prime" models and now have a "MAX" and "D1" unit.

Agree. My Dune D1 has been flawless since I go it. I just wished I had bought 2 before the price went up
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › What is the best player? Boxee Box, PCH A-300, Dune, WDTV2, AIOS, or NeoTV550?