or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › E.T. coming soon...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

E.T. coming soon...

post #1 of 93
Thread Starter 
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/25/e...r-and-box-art/

post #2 of 93
I can't wait see how bad Uni messes up this one. I honestly have no faith in them anymore.
post #3 of 93
never bought the DVD, and this might be a blind-buy for me. I know Universal blows but I would like to add this to my collection. I just hope that Speilberg removed the walkie-talkies and put back the guns....and please have Drew B says 'penis breath' again....great dialog imo.....
post #4 of 93
Encouraged by the presence of guns in the bicycle clip. Will only buy if it's 100% the original cut without a single frame of "digital E.T."
post #5 of 93
I'm looking forward to the blu-ray release of E.T. this fall 2012. I hope all the special features from the past home video and dvd release are carry'ed over for the blu-ray relase as well as new extra's created exclusivly for the blu-ray release. Out of the 2 versions of E.T. I prefer the 1982 version over the 2002 re release. The 82 version is the one I saw 1st sure it was on VHS but that's the version I remember seeing. Day 1 buy for me on blu-ray this film E.T. along with Star Wars and Superman The Movie got me into movies and cinema.
post #6 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze View Post

Encouraged by the presence of guns in the bicycle clip. Will only buy if it's 100% the original cut without a single frame of "digital E.T."

It's been known for a while now that it will definitely be the theatrical cut. And most likely the only cut on Blu-ray, too. http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/09/spielberg-repents/
post #7 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post

I can't wait see how bad Uni messes up this one. I honestly have no faith in them anymore.

i have a feeling this one will have full Spielberg involvement (unlike JP)
post #8 of 93
What's with the wacky vertical stripe noise in the 1080p trailer? Hope that's not the HD master that's going on the disc, yikes
post #9 of 93
Jaws is the real test for what happens to this disc, the laser pacific master is already good so time will tell if the DNR button gets used
post #10 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

What's with the wacky vertical stripe noise in the 1080p trailer? Hope that's not the HD master that's going on the disc, yikes

Waaa? You don't like this subtle wallpaper effect?
post #11 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

never bought the DVD, and this might be a blind-buy for me. I know Universal blows but I would like to add this to my collection. I just hope that Speilberg removed the walkie-talkies and put back the guns....and please have Drew B says 'penis breath' again....great dialog imo.....

I never got the dvd either, so I might pick this up. I had the same situation with The Godfather films.

Spielberg said in an interview last year that he didn't even plan on including the 2002 version, so the original version will definitely be there, guns and all.

Oh, and Elliot was the one who said "penis breath" (did they change that line in the 2002 version???? I only caught some of it once on tv). I do remember hearing about a line said either by or to Gertie when the kids are getting ready to go trick-or-treating. Someone says "you look like a terrorist" and they removed it because 9/11 had only just happened a few months earlier.
post #12 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang Zei View Post

I never got the dvd either, so I might pick this up. I had the same situation with The Godfather films.

Spielberg said in an interview last year that he didn't even plan on including the 2002 version, so the original version will definitely be there, guns and all.

Oh, and Elliot was the one who said "penis breath" (did they change that line in the 2002 version???? I only caught some of it once on tv). I do remember hearing about a line said either by or to Gertie when the kids are getting ready to go trick-or-treating. Someone says "you look like a terrorist" and they removed it because 9/11 had only just happened a few months earlier.

People forget that the original unedited theatrical version (complete w/guns, penis breath and terrorist quotes) was released on a separate dvd along with the 2002 revised version in the multi-disc sets including the deluxe version with the book.

Even that said, they (Universal) kind of botched that release - the widescreen anamorphic release of the original theatrical cut is truly the original theatrical version however the soundtrack is in DD 5.1. The fullscreen dvd original theatrical release is encoded with a superior DTS 5.1 soundtrack and only has the "you're not going out dressed as a terrorist" quote is changed to "you're not going out dressed as a hippy" quote. Otherwise, everything else is the original theatrical version, same as the 16:9 DD5.1 dvd. Had they simply used the original theatrical cut and soundtrack encoded as DTS for the widescreen dvd, it would have been perfect (for a dvd release).

I hope the Blu-ray release at least includes the 2002 footage as part of the extras or through branching purely for historical purposes. While I despised the Politically Correct edits, some of the new 2002 footage was at least an interesting alternative.
post #13 of 93
My guess is the sound mix will be the 2002 6.1 track, presented as 7.1 with mono rears.
post #14 of 93
The music track of E.T. is arguably some of John William's very best. In some of the key moments of the film particularly near the end and at the end of the movie is just remarkable and enough to bring a tear to the eye. I cannot think of any of his other brilliant stuff which has that effect. Incredible really. The guy is such a music genius.

Very much looking forward to the BD and listening to this in lossless audio. Such a wonderful, classic movie for all ages. Pure Spielberg magic at work.
post #15 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

My guess is the sound mix will be the 2002 6.1 track, presented as 7.1 with mono rears.

Was that what was done for JP?
post #16 of 93
Jurassic Park was originally just 5.1, in 2002 ET was given a 6.1 ES/EX track.
post #17 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Jurassic Park was originally just 5.1, in 2002 ET was given a 6.1 ES/EX track.

JP had a 7.1 remix for the 2011 theatrical re-release, I was just wondering if it had the mono rears
post #18 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

The music track of E.T. is arguably some of John William's very best. In some of the key moments of the film particularly near the end and at the end of the movie is just remarkable and enough to bring a tear to the eye. I cannot think of any of his other brilliant stuff which has that effect. Incredible really. The guy is such a music genius.

Very much looking forward to the BD and listening to this in lossless audio. Such a wonderful, classic movie for all ages. Pure Spielberg magic at work.

Williams' best work is probably Superman The Movie, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, E.T., and Hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

JP had a 7.1 remix for the 2011 theatrical re-release, I was just wondering if it had the mono rears

Stereo rears.
Mind you, being a Universal title it will probably have the original Surround track as DTS Stereo at 756kbs.
If we are lucky...
post #19 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Williams' best work is probably Superman The Movie, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, E.T., and Hook.



Stereo rears.
Mind you, being a Universal title it will probably have the original Surround track as DTS Stereo at 756kbs.

No Raiders march???????????
post #20 of 93
Whole Scores are what I meant.
Really I'd say everything between Jaws and Hook is untouchable.

Jurassic Park's music on the other hand, doesn't fit the movie. The music is majestic and optimistic, it doesn't gel well with the genre of Sci-Fi Creature Feature Horror.
post #21 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

The music track of E.T. is arguably some of John William's very best. In some of the key moments of the film particularly near the end and at the end of the movie is just remarkable and enough to bring a tear to the eye. I cannot think of any of his other brilliant stuff which has that effect. Incredible really. The guy is such a music genius.

There's a good reason for that: Williams cheated. He wrote the music on its own, with no restrictions, making it as good as it could be, and THEN Spielberg edited the film's finale TO the pre-existing music. So Spielberg deserves more credit than the (alleged) film composer.
post #22 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

There's a good reason for that: Williams cheated. He wrote the music on its own, with no restrictions, making it as good as it could be, and THEN Spielberg edited the film's finale TO the pre-existing music. So Spielberg deserves more credit than the (alleged) film composer.

You've obviously never collaborated on a film with someone. It's all cheating and all compromises to make it the best it can be while adhering to a deadline. To say Williams cheated is simply ridiculous. Spielberg gave him that opportunity, and he took it. I don't see how that is in any way cheating as it has been done many, many times before.

I highly doubt the ending to E.T. would have more emotional impact had it been scored to an edit instead of being edited to a score. I'm still not sure if you were trying to bash John Williams as a composer or not, but it wouldn't work anyway.
post #23 of 93
E.T. was, and still is the best work Williams has ever done for a movie....period.
post #24 of 93
The announced features as posted over at Blu-ray.com:

Quote:


Universal's Blu-ray/DVD/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack offers the 1982 theatrical edition of the film in its 1.85:1 original aspect ratio with a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track. Furthermore, the disc contains Universal's standard BD-Live, pocket BLU, Advanced Remote Control, Video Timeline, Mobile-To-Go, and Keyboard functionalities and the following bonus supplements:
All-new Steven Spielberg & E.T. interview
The E.T. Journals, shot by Academy Award-winning cinematographer John Toll (Braveheart)
Behind-the-scenes featurettes:
- A Look Back
- The E.T. Reunion
- The Evolution and Creation of E.T.
- The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams
- The 20th Anniversary Premiere
Two deleted scenes from the film's 2002 version
Designs, photographs, and marketing elements:
- E.T. designs by production illustrator Ed Verreaux
- E.T. designs by carlo rambaldi
- Spaceship designs by Ralph McQuarrie
- Designs by production illustrator Ed Verreaux
- Production photographs
- Marketing E.T. feature
Original theatrical trailer
Special Olympics TV spot

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial streets in October; Universal has not yet released the exact street date.

1982 theatrical version only!

A post in the forum over there indicates that a foreign release (forget which country) is scheduled for October 25.

Mark
post #25 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Jaws is the real test for what happens to this disc, the laser pacific master is already good so time will tell if the DNR button gets used

Which version of the film is the Laser Pacific master?
post #26 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

E.T. was, and still is the best work Williams has ever done for a movie....period.

Superman to me is his best work, although all of his Spielberg/Lucas collaborations are amazing, especially from 1975-1985.

Can't wait to have this on BD!
post #27 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

The announced features as posted over at Blu-ray.com:

1982 theatrical version only!

A post in the forum over there indicates that a foreign release (forget which country) is scheduled for October 25.

Mark

Hopefully they will include Henry Thomas' amazing audition which was included on the old laserdisc box set but omitted for some reason on the dvd release(s).

seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEwZE4D_GIY
post #28 of 93
John Williams' E.T. score is indeed one of his most brilliant masterpieces from start to finish. Absolutely wonderful stuff. One of the best movie scores ever made.

I have the 5.1 SA-CD release of the original studio recording. Soaring and emotional with excellent orchestrations. I get choked up every time. The piano finale at the beginning of the end credits just puts the cherry on top.

Don't f-ck this one up, Universal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #29 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

People forget that the original unedited theatrical version (complete w/guns, penis breath and terrorist quotes) was released on a separate dvd along with the 2002 revised version in the multi-disc sets including the deluxe version with the book.

Even that said, they (Universal) kind of botched that release - the widescreen anamorphic release of the original theatrical cut is truly the original theatrical version however the soundtrack is in DD 5.1. The fullscreen dvd original theatrical release is encoded with a superior DTS 5.1 soundtrack and only has the "you're not going out dressed as a terrorist" quote is changed to "you're not going out dressed as a hippy" quote. Otherwise, everything else is the original theatrical version, same as the 16:9 DD5.1 dvd. Had they simply used the original theatrical cut and soundtrack encoded as DTS for the widescreen dvd, it would have been perfect (for a dvd release).

I hope the Blu-ray release at least includes the 2002 footage as part of the extras or through branching purely for historical purposes. While I despised the Politically Correct edits, some of the new 2002 footage was at least an interesting alternative.

I have the 2 Disc Special Edition DVD with DTS-ES 5.1 on the original cut... it has the terrorist line, penis breath, and everything else.

However, the transfer is extremely dark.

I am sooooo glad Spielberg is dumping the 2002 version. It was a travesty.
post #30 of 93
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58246
Quote:
“E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial” Returns to Cinemas
for 30th Anniversary Celebration
* * * * *
Commemorating Universal Pictures' 100th Anniversary, NCM® Fathom Events
and TCM Presents a Newly Remastered Version of Steven Spielberg’s Unforgettable Classic Adventure in Select Movie Theaters on October 3

Quote:
Universal Studios Home Entertainment will celebrate the 30th anniversary of “E.T. The Extra- Terrestrial” with the film’s Blu-ray™ release on Tuesday, October 9. Featuring an all-new, digitally remastered picture, as well as all-new 7.1 surround sound, the “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial” Anniversary Edition Blu-ray™ Combo Pack includes the 1982 theatrical movie, an all-new interview with Spielberg, and “The E.T. Journals,” featuring never-before-seen footage from the set of the film.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › E.T. coming soon...