or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Using Xbox as Media Extender Network Issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Using Xbox as Media Extender Network Issues

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I am using a Ceton Infinitv tv tuner card in my Maingear desktop computer. I have Comcast infinity tv service and I use Windows media center on the Maingear computer to record tv shows.

The cable modem is connected to an Apple airport extreme which is also connected to my maingear computer. Currently, the router mode on my airport extreme is set to "Off (Bridge Mode)"

I use an xbox 360 as an extender to watch television recorded on the computer. The xbox is connected via a ethernet cable that is connected to a router that is connected to a power line connecter (the other end of the power line connecter is connected to the apple airport extreme).

When I watch recorded tv on the xbox, after some random amount of time, I get a message that there is a network issue. The audio of the program continues but the video freezes. I usually have to start another program to solve the problem and then resume what I was watching but usually the problem shows up again.

I don't think it is a problem with the power line connecter because I have tried connecting the xbox directly to the airport extreme with a wired cable and it still gets the same problem. I also am able to watch most programs with my Sony PS3 (which is connected via the same router as the xbox) and I don't get any video problems on that thing.

Any help with this? I must admit I am a computer idiot so if you happen to have a solution, please explain in detail or it will likely go over my head.

All help is much appreciated...

Thanks,
Jeff
post #2 of 10
Since you are seeing the same behavior between an Ethernet connection and the Powerline, I would suggest that the problem is either with the built-in NIC (You didn't mention what model and CPU you have in that computer) or the built-in switch on the Airport Extreme. I have found that Intel NICs work best and that a consumer grade switch like in the Airport Extreme and other home routers (including most small 5-8 port desktop switches) aren't up to the task for streaming media. I upgraded from an 8-port D-Link desktop switch to a 16-port D-Link Web Smart Switch (small business grade switch) and that fixed a lot of the network issues. (My motherboard has an Intel NIC on board).

This is what I have for a switch..http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=324
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the quick reply.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte® Z68X-UD3H-B3 Featuring USB 3.0, SATA 6G, Lucid Virtu [B3 Stepping]

My processor is Intel® Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz/3.8GHz Turbo 8MB L3 Cache GT2

My memory is 16GB Patriot® Division2 G2 DDR3-1600 Enhanced Latency (4x4GB)

According to my order form, my ethernet adapter is "On-board Gigabit Ethernet"

If a buy a business type switch, can I still use the airport extreme for wireless connections? That is, it sounds like I should connect everything but the wireless stuff through the business switch for a better connection, is that correct?

Thanks again for your help....
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkahn View Post

Thanks for the quick reply.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte® Z68X-UD3H-B3 Featuring USB 3.0, SATA 6G, Lucid Virtu [B3 Stepping]

My processor is Intel® Core™ i7 2600K 3.4GHz/3.8GHz Turbo 8MB L3 Cache GT2

My memory is 16GB Patriot® Division2 G2 DDR3-1600 Enhanced Latency (4x4GB)

According to my order form, my ethernet adapter is "On-board Gigabit Ethernet"

If a buy a business type switch, can I still use the airport extreme for wireless connections? That is, it sounds like I should connect everything but the wireless stuff through the business switch for a better connection, is that correct?

Thanks again for your help....

A quick Google Search to Gigabyte's website states that your Motherboard uses a Realtek Ethernet NIC. My suggestion would be to first install a PCI-E Intel Desktop Gigabit Adapter and disable the built in one and see if that helps as at $40 or so that is cheaper than buying a new small-business class switch at $200.00. If the NIC does not solve it, I would still keep the NIC (as Intel NICs are a best practice around these parts), and then purchase the switch. Use the Airport Extreme as your router and wireless AP and plug one switch port on the Airport Extreme to a port on the new switch as you described.

An Intel PCI-E NIC like this should be fine...

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Gigabit-...p_ob_e_title_0
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the advice. I will order the card and see if that solves the problem. Is it easy to disable the old one? Do I do that through the control panel?

I really appreciate your help with this issue and explaining it in simple enough terms so I can understand it.

Jeff
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
One other quick question, I didn't see the business switch that you bought on Amazon (they do have some used ones on ebay). Do any of these look like adequate possibilities?

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Auto-...6&sr=8-1-fkmr0

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-24-Port...6&sr=8-2-fkmr0

http://www.amazon.com/Web-Managed-16...6&sr=8-3-fkmr0

They are the three that came up when I did a search for the one you named.

Thanks...
Jeff
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkahn View Post

Thanks for the advice. I will order the card and see if that solves the problem. Is it easy to disable the old one? Do I do that through the control panel?

I really appreciate your help with this issue and explaining it in simple enough terms so I can understand it.

Jeff

You can probably run both without issue, but turning the Integrated NIC off is done via the BIOS. Check the motherboard manual or call Maingear support.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkahn View Post

One other quick question, I didn't see the business switch that you bought on Amazon (they do have some used ones on ebay). Do any of these look like adequate possibilities?

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Auto-...6&sr=8-1-fkmr0

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-24-Port...6&sr=8-2-fkmr0

http://www.amazon.com/Web-Managed-16...6&sr=8-3-fkmr0

They are the three that came up when I did a search for the one you named.

Thanks...
Jeff

The DLINK is probably a newer version of the one I have. Not sure about the other two, but seem to review well. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them at that price.
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
I owe you a huge one. Buying the Intel card solved the problem! Thanks so much for the help....
post #10 of 10
FWIW, I have used the current generate Apple TimeCapsule and Airport Extreme with my HTPC and Xbox 360 with very good success. However, I also followed best practices here by using a prosumer grade switch for a majority of my HTPC traffic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Using Xbox as Media Extender Network Issues