or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 50

post #1471 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

If noise is NOT an issue then they come pretty much ready to go. But don't under estimate the noise these things make. You may think that your utility room is far enough away to not hear them but you may change your mind when you turn them on. Unless you have worked with these types of servers before you really can't imagine how loud they are. So don't be surprised if you find yourself modding them anyways.

The only mod I would do if noise was NOT an issue would be the PSU. Not because of the noise but due to the energy efficiency of having a single 850W over two 920s.

I just spent 45 minutes installing W7 and I have a splitting headache from the oscillating fans sitting next to this thing.

I plugged it in to see how loud it would be and the squeal would be unbearable to sit next to for an extended period of time. The utility room is pretty far from everything else in the house we are planning on buying. This isn't getting hooked up until we move, so I won't be able to test the sound until we do, but I don't foresee the sound being an issue as far away as it would be in there.
post #1472 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobber8742 View Post

I plugged it in to see how loud it would be and the squeal would be unbearable to sit next to for an extended period of time. The utility room is pretty far from everything else in the house we are planning on buying. This isn't getting hooked up until we move, so I won't be able to test the sound until we do, but I don't foresee the sound being an issue as far away as it would be in there.

If you don't think the noise will be an issue then leave it alone. The server is great just the way it is. If you are worried about energy efficiency then do the PSU mod (not that hard). Other than that there's nothing you can do to make it perform better unless you want to buy another CPU and some more ram for the second CPU (they have to be in the second banks)...but that is just way overkill for a media file server alone.
post #1473 of 2256
okay, this seems like a silly question, but what size screws do I need for putting the hard drives in the hard drive caddies? Standard hard drive mounting screws seem to not fit in the drive slots. They are hitting on the sides.
post #1474 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobber8742 View Post

okay, this seems like a silly question, but what size screws do I need for putting the hard drives in the hard drive caddies? Standard hard drive mounting screws seem to not fit in the drive slots. They are hitting on the sides.

They should be 6-32 x 5mm flatheads.

Like these: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-MCP45ON
post #1475 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobber8742 View Post

okay, this seems like a silly question, but what size screws do I need for putting the hard drives in the hard drive caddies? Standard hard drive mounting screws seem to not fit in the drive slots. They are hitting on the sides.

I couldn't tell ya, but, when I got mine, they literally provided a huuuge ziploc bag full of HDD screws, which I've used ever since.

Granted, it was pretty early on. They may not have a a bajillion spare screws anymore.
post #1476 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

I couldn't tell ya, but, when I got mine, they literally provided a huuuge ziploc bag full of HDD screws, which I've used ever since.

Granted, it was pretty early on. They may not have a a bajillion spare screws anymore.

Yeah, I saw some posts to that effect, so I searched all over for some, but didn't see any. I see some on Amazon, so I guess I'll just order them: http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-Screw-Label-3-5-Inch-MCP-410-00005-0N/dp/B00353EKR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369178362&sr=8-1&keywords=MCP-410-00005-0N
post #1477 of 2256
At last, my server has arrived!! biggrin.gif

Box it came is was WELL packed, as it should've been!




Taking the case out the box, this unit is as heavy as my JVC BR-822 deck at well over 50lbs. Pictured above the case are the rails specific I ordered for the case since it will be rack mounted (ordered from Ebay)






The back wall was slightly bent, but nothing that can't be straightened out:




Other than that, very solid case and very happy with the service from Tams. I don't know if I should power it on since there are no hard drives yet, but would be a good idea to see what the noise level of this thing stock is. Better grab some ear plugs! I can't wait to get this unit up and running! Now to get some hard drives.........cool.gif
post #1478 of 2256
I just cannot believe how clean these are. Well mine was just delivered too.
post #1479 of 2256
I powered on the server and everything came alive! This thing is indeed LOUD as a screaming banshee!! I see what everyone else was saying when it came to the noise level, but it can move some serious air. Definitely going to have to replace all the case fans (all 80mm looks like) and see about the PSU. They work very well, but very loud too. Other than that everything booted up fine to the no media found message. Might update the BIOS too.

There was a HDD bracket mounted against the PSU...I am thinking that's where the OS drive would go, but if the PSU's were removed then where would the OS drive be placed?
post #1480 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I installed three Zalman Fan Mate controllers between the original fan panel 80mm fans and the motherboard and adjusted them for a noise level comparable to what my old server generated. The server sits in a small utility room right next to my viewing area so if the noise level is too loud it is easily noticeable in the next room. The surround system tends to drown out any extraneous noise so a little bit of fan noise is of no consequence.

After monitoring my unRAID server off and on over the past 5 hours I can say that the fan controllers appear to be doing the trick. The noise level is greatly reduced and the drives are showing a significant drop in temperature compared to using the Arctic Cooling 80mm case fans. Consequently, I have ordered a Zalman MFC1 fan controller from Newegg for $39.99 that comes with a $20 rebate. The rebate is good until March 31st in case anyone's interested. I intend to reinstall the rear fans when the controller arrives. The only issue is that the controller is designed to mount in a standard 5-1/4" external drive bay which the server lacks. I'm thinking that I might have an old external optical drive enclosure I could mount this in just so it's not sitting exposed on top of the server. I expect I'll just run the cables through the opening once occupied by the original PSUs, but that's no big deal at this point. The bottom line is that I will be able to control the fan noise and still maintain a decent level of cooling within the server without having to buy all new fans.

The cost of the Zalman controller with the rebate is less than what a decent set of five case fans would cost. Anyone considering a fan replacement might want to rethink that strategy and go with a fan controller instead. The original case fans are designed for heavy usage so it would be a shame to see them go to waste. I have them adjusted to where they are still a bit noisy for most people, but you can easily set them to suit your tastes and sound level requirements. I highly recommend setting them at the highest speed you can live with for maximum cooling. Your hard drives will thank you in the long run.wink.gif

The next thing I'd like to try is some sound deadening material for the server case to further reduce the noise level. I bought some material called RAAMmat from RAAMaudio (similar to Dynamat) used for reducing road noise in automobiles and improving the sound of car stereos. I'm thinking about coating the interior of the server case with it to see if it helps reduce the noise even further. It did wonders for my car sound system so I expect it might work here as well. That little project will likely have to wait until the weekend. More to come. biggrin.gif

So let me guess....did you use the stock fans with the controller or used the Arctic fans? If I could get a controller I could consider just using the stock fans, but at least turn them down.

As for the PSU, do you just still have the power cord coming out of the opening where the old PSU's were or did you manage to put a plate there. I think fabricating a plate isn't too tough as long as you put in a rubber grommet of some kind to prevent the wires from being cut or chafed from the metal.

My server at stock I can hear it just about everywhere in the house, so definitely needs some quieter fans, including replacing the PSU's. Somewhat a shame though, its cool having redundant supplies where if one fails, the other keeps the server running, but since this unit will eventually be connected to a UPS, its somewhat a moot point. I had noticed though that while one of the PSU's was running full blast, the other wasn't which was a tad quieter. I'm sure they make more energy efficient (and quieter) redundant PSU's for this server case, but expensive im sure.
post #1481 of 2256
Well my server has arrived and it is in mint condition:

A few observations and questions:

1. Mine came with no fan shroud. Should I get one? If so any good leads?

2. Also, it did not come with any screws for the HDD trays, but I saw the post in hear on what they are and recommendation on where to get them.

Thanks All
post #1482 of 2256
AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! Stripped one of those tiny screws that hold the PSU cage. Not good. Where's my drill?!?!
post #1483 of 2256
Well, I did some more experimenting in the BIOS on the server and as we all know unmodded all the fans run full speed all the time. However, I have found that I was able to tone down the fans a bit by changing a setting in the BIOS, under Advanced and Hardware Monitor. There it listed 3 modes: Disabled, Server, and Workstation. Apparently I selected the Workstation mode and rebooted. All of the fans went down by quite a bit and wasn't as loud as before. I also disabled one of the original PSU units since that one was the loudest and just using the other. The fan speeds now read about 4,000 RPM in BIOS.

Also I went ahead and updated the BIOS as well so should have no issue updating the CPU's. I found an extra AMD HSF from a former PC build so all I need now is just the processors. Might just go with two of the 2384's.
post #1484 of 2256
I am So PUMPED!!! I am getting two of the intels, i am going to copy the guy earlier in the thread and do the 48 bay build by combining parts of them.
post #1485 of 2256
Got my HX850 installed. I wish they would make the main power cable smaller or modular. That sucker just gets in the way no matter what.

Instead of a Norco fan wall I just joined three 140MM fans. They fit absolutely perfect once the lid goes on. The cables on the right keep the fans pretty snug. I had them laying around from a previous build so I figured I would see if they fit. They blow a lot of air and are very quiet.









post #1486 of 2256
Looks pretty nice, Killroy. Using 3 140mm fans would be great instead of having to deal with the fan wall. Did you just simply butt the fans together and using the cables to keep them in place? I'm still debating on the PSU thing myself. However, there is an 8-pin connector on the server board next to the 4-pin CPU connector. Was the 8-pin connector for the power distribution board for the original PSU's? I was wondering whether you had to plug something into it with a ATX PSU.
post #1487 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Looks pretty nice, Killroy. Using 3 140mm fans would be great instead of having to deal with the fan wall. Did you just simply butt the fans together and using the cables to keep them in place? I'm still debating on the PSU thing myself. However, there is an 8-pin connector on the server board next to the 4-pin CPU connector. Was the 8-pin connector for the power distribution board for the original PSU's? I was wondering whether you had to plug something into it with a ATX PSU.

If you look you can see a small yellow zip tie through the screw holes holding each fan together. The sata cables then keep pressure on them.

I was baffled by that 8-pin/4-pin thing too. I used one of the 8-pin CPU cables on the HX850 that splits to feed the 4-pin one. I was not sure if the thing was going to explode when I hit the power button. It didn't.
post #1488 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Looks pretty nice, Killroy. Using 3 140mm fans would be great instead of having to deal with the fan wall. Did you just simply butt the fans together and using the cables to keep them in place? I'm still debating on the PSU thing myself. However, there is an 8-pin connector on the server board next to the 4-pin CPU connector. Was the 8-pin connector for the power distribution board for the original PSU's? I was wondering whether you had to plug something into it with a ATX PSU.

The 8 pin connector is for CPU power. It's used on a lot of Dual Socket MB's to put power to the CPU's on separate 12v rails.
post #1489 of 2256
So is it needed on a single CPU set-up? I plugged in both since I had the plugs for it.
post #1490 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

So is it needed on a single CPU set-up? I plugged in both since I had the plugs for it.

Yes.
post #1491 of 2256
Just splurged and bought the AIC setup only had intel it seems (sadly) now on to the mods part i see alot of neat mods sating to change the back window and get the norco fan wall but are those compatible with the AIC or only the supermicro ? What aside from the PSU do i need to do to the AIC?
post #1492 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

So is it needed on a single CPU set-up? I plugged in both since I had the plugs for it.

I downloaded the manual for that board and it says that the 8-pin connector is indeed for the CPU's (both sockets whether using one or both) and has to be connected. The extra 4-pin connector is the Auxiliary connector (also required to be connected according to the manual) which is used to supply extra power that may be needed during high loads.
post #1493 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Got my HX850 installed. I wish they would make the main power cable smaller or modular. That sucker just gets in the way no matter what.

Instead of a Norco fan wall I just joined three 140MM fans. They fit absolutely perfect once the lid goes on. The cables on the right keep the fans pretty snug. I had them laying around from a previous build so I figured I would see if they fit. They blow a lot of air and are very quiet.
Great idea. Simple, yet effective. My only concern would be having the cables that close to bare fan blades with no fan guards. A few zip ties in the right place would help keep the cables away from the blades. I'd also prefer to have the fans fastened to the chassis in some fashion to prevent them from moving. Over time they could end up migrating towards the bare cables just from the vibrations if they're not held firm.

You just hit on my one major nit with PSUs. What's the point of having modular cables if the main power cable is like having an anaconda taking up residence inside your case? I'd like to see all cables modular with optional lengths available for the main 24-pin ATX power cable as well as the CPU and PCI-e cables that always tend to be hardwired. It just seems like it defeats the purpose of having a modular PSU when the main cable is the worst of the bunch.
post #1494 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Great idea. Simple, yet effective. My only concern would be having the cables that close to bare fan blades with no fan guards. A few zip ties in the right place would help keep the cables away from the blades. I'd also prefer to have the fans fastened to the chassis in some fashion to prevent them from moving. Over time they could end up migrating towards the bare cables just from the vibrations if they're not held firm.

You just hit on my one major nit with PSUs. What's the point of having modular cables if the main power cable is like having an anaconda taking up residence inside your case? I'd like to see all cables modular with optional lengths available for the main 24-pin ATX power cable as well as the CPU and PCI-e cables that always tend to be hardwired. It just seems like it defeats the purpose of having a modular PSU when the main cable is the worst of the bunch.

I am going to zip tie most of the sata cables once I have everything ready to go. I am replacing that IDE OS drive with a SSD or laptop drive. I didn't have any 2.5" sata drives laying around but I have a huge graveyard of IDE drives so I plugged it in to test the server to see if it booted up fine. The other reason to replace the 3.5" OS drive is that I need a full size drive for my parity and there is just not enough places to put two 3.5" drives in this thing without some juggling of the cables and parts. I can put a 2.5" pretty much anywhere especially if its a SSD.

I may also put 140mm fan guards on the front side if I can't zip tie them.
post #1495 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post




Double check your rails! Mine have many more square holes in them but are a similar shape. Apparently there is at least two revisions of this SM chassis so double check to see if you have the right rails!
post #1496 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaG View Post

Double check your rails! Mine have many more square holes in them but are a similar shape. Apparently there is at least two revisions of this SM chassis so double check to see if you have the right rails!

What's the part number of the rails you have? Would you happen to have a pic of them installed on the chassis? The ones I gotten was part no MCP-290-00058-0N which according to the specs on SM's site for the SC846 it was listed as an optional mounting kit. The MCP-290-00057-0N was the default kit.

If the 00058's are the wrong ones then I need to send them back.
post #1497 of 2256
What Sockets/CPU are these current units?
post #1498 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisservice View Post

What Sockets/CPU are these current units?

Well the one I have is the AMD unit, Socket F and came with the 2346HE Quad Core CPU. I'm sure most of the AMD units are Socket F based CPU units. I'm sure Tams have the Intel units too but don't know if they have any of those as of late. All the recent ones I believe are the AMD ones.
post #1499 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisservice View Post

What Sockets/CPU are these current units?

Dual 1207-pin Socket F with 1 AMD Opteron Quad Core 2346HE @ 1.8GHz.
post #1500 of 2256
BTW, these AMD Opteron Quad Cores are super cool running. At idle with the stock fan they run at 12c. That is nothing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative?