or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 15

post #421 of 2256
So I bought one of these beasts (2.0 Xeon version) as well. I trimmed the motherboard tray on each side to allow the motherboard and motherboard tray to be up against the right side of the case. Any reason why this shouldn't work? I just got my new backpanel and it seems to line up (need to trim a bit at the top since it is sitting a bit higher than if it was sitting on the bottom itself). Can you guys think of why this shouldn't work? I didn't want to re-drill all the mother board holes and this seemed the most obvious way to avoid that step. Comments welcome (plan to complete this build this weekend).

Here is the overview of board and tray together


Here is the right side of the board/tray (yes... I know it isn't exactly straight)


Here is the left side with me holding up the backpanel


Here is the right side with me holding up the backpanel (hard to see, but backpanel slightly higher than right side of case - easy fix should be trim the edge a bit)


See...it lines up.


Here the fun shot of all the "extra" pieces....


Thanks
Speedbal
post #422 of 2256
Thread Starter 
Looks good... Not sure why it wouldn't work...

I am very excited to see your results... I too have an Intel that I would like to try this modification procedure with.

How did you trim the motherboard tray?

Let us know.
post #423 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

How did you trim the motherboard tray?
Let us know.

Dremel with the EZ Lock adapter for cutoff wheels. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/SubCategories.aspx?catid=2054&catname=EZ+Lock+Cut-off+Wheels

The other side (not pictured) is much straighter since I figured out that I only needed to score (cut down a little bit) the top and bend it back and forth until it breaks (much easier than cutting the steel all way through). My neighbors probably thought I was doing something illegal with all the cutting I had to do on the side pictured.

Speedbal
post #424 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbal View Post

Dremel with the EZ Lock adapter for cutoff wheels. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/SubCategories.aspx?catid=2054&catname=EZ+Lock+Cut-off+Wheels
The other side (not pictured) is much straighter since I figured out that I only needed to score (cut down a little bit) the top and bend it back and forth until it breaks (much easier than cutting the steel all way through). My neighbors probably thought I was doing something illegal with all the cutting I had to do on the side pictured.
Speedbal

I'd imagine that ez-lock makes it a lot less hassle to keep changing the wheels when they snap. I am seriously looking forward to when we remodel the house. I have a space already planned for a bandsaw. Instead I just traced the holes and drill the bottom of the case for them. A bit of countersink and using the same screws for the drive trays and it'll work great. I just haven't picked up the female-female standoffs yet.
post #425 of 2256
Forgot to mention--I actually used nylon spacers as standoffs since regular standoffs were too short but too long doubled up.

These were the ones I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00137Q6K2

I marked the holes, drilled and tapped them, then used contact cement to hold the spacers. I then used shortened 6-32 screws to screw the mobo on.
post #426 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

Yep... That's it! biggrin.gif
Unfortunately... Using a standard ATX PSU will eliminate that cool shroud and the housing of one of the hot swap fans on the back window... but no biggie!

Excited about this server when it becomes available. How much work is involved in replacing the PSU with the Corsair one. You mentioned using L brackets, how difficult is that? I have no tools or experience in this sort of thing, only in building pc's, no chassis mods. Does losing the shroud affect the cooling/noise? Looking forward to your pics and instructions once you complete the changes.

And how much work would it be to use an SSD with this? For the software, i was planning on Windows Server 2012 Essentials beta as OS, with FlexRaid to manage storage. Any compatibility issues with the hardware?
post #427 of 2256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Excited about this server when it becomes available. How much work is involved in replacing the PSU with the Corsair one. You mentioned using L brackets, how difficult is that? I have no tools or experience in this sort of thing, only in building pc's, no chassis mods. Does losing the shroud affect the cooling/noise? Looking forward to your pics and instructions once you complete the changes.
And how much work would it be to use an SSD with this? For the software, i was planning on Windows Server 2012 Essentials beta as OS, with FlexRaid to manage storage. Any compatibility issues with the hardware?

I am still waiting for my replacement fans to come from California... frown.gif But as far as replacing the PSU... all that will be required is the removal of a dozen or so screws. I am still not sure how I will secure the PSU to the server's walls' confused.gif. I will have a better idea what mods need to be made when the fans arrive.

I will post photos as soon as I have it setup...

Using an SSD is pretty straight forward... other than pointing your BIOS boot option to the drive... nothing special needs to be done.

I have never tried Server 12... or FlexRAID with that OS... I am using Windows 7 64bit... no issues.

I spoke to Jason on Monday... They are planning on listing the servers to ebay this week.... but they are still waiting for the shipping boxes to arrive.

I will keep everyone posted.
Edited by Litlgi74 - 8/1/12 at 7:28am
post #428 of 2256
Thanks for the quick reply. I emailed Jason and he's going to put my name on the list! Few more questions as I plan my first real server -

- Would it be worth replacing the cpu with Opteron 2419 (which are $15-20 on ebay) ? The HSF will probably cost more than that. I plan for this not just to be a media server, but do transcoding, downloading, and any other background tasks I can think of
- As I understand it, I can use one of the motherboard SATA ports for the OS drive, leaving all 24 free for storage
- This will be running in my small apartment, so noise/cooling/space are important. After replacing the fans+psu, hopefully this can run quietly in a corner. Is it ok to stand this on its end? I see most people here have racks and mount it like its meant to be.
- Has anyone used the remote monitoring/IPMI stuff ?
post #429 of 2256
^^^
how much for the new batch server?
post #430 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. I emailed Jason and he's going to put my name on the list! Few more questions as I plan my first real server -
- Would it be worth replacing the cpu with Opteron 2419 (which are $15-20 on ebay) ? The HSF will probably cost more than that. I plan for this not just to be a media server, but do transcoding, downloading, and any other background tasks I can think of
- As I understand it, I can use one of the motherboard SATA ports for the OS drive, leaving all 24 free for storage
- This will be running in my small apartment, so noise/cooling/space are important. After replacing the fans+psu, hopefully this can run quietly in a corner. Is it ok to stand this on its end? I see most people here have racks and mount it like its meant to be.
- Has anyone used the remote monitoring/IPMI stuff ?

if you just need a file server, no need to replacing CPUs. even a single cpu is more than enough smile.gif

transcoding is a different story, do you need to transcode from 1080P/720P high BW to your tablet/phone? replacing CPUs should help ease the burden.

on my server, I always use on Board Sata for OS, software RAID1 smile.gif. just me ( at home or at work)

mostly just for turning on/off the server smile.gif, nice hah... without turn the button on/off directly.

I think you need to replace 80mm backplane wall to 120mm with lower RPM (~1000RPM-1500RPM) to "kill" fan noise without sacrificing HDs air flow. do not forget replace 2 80mm back fans with 80mm low rpms.
the best scenario is making kind of "Netshelter Cx", I am planning to do this, you can download the full specs biggrin.gif.
post #431 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. I emailed Jason and he's going to put my name on the list! Few more questions as I plan my first real server -
- Would it be worth replacing the cpu with Opteron 2419 (which are $15-20 on ebay) ? The HSF will probably cost more than that. I plan for this not just to be a media server, but do transcoding, downloading, and any other background tasks I can think of
- As I understand it, I can use one of the motherboard SATA ports for the OS drive, leaving all 24 free for storage
- This will be running in my small apartment, so noise/cooling/space are important. After replacing the fans+psu, hopefully this can run quietly in a corner. Is it ok to stand this on its end? I see most people here have racks and mount it like its meant to be.
- Has anyone used the remote monitoring/IPMI stuff ?

You probably do not want to be running it stood on end or a side. You lose some of the natural convection. That and there's the issues of pulling dust into the box by having it too close to the floor. I've got a rack full of gear and the ones in the bottom 2' collect a helluva lot more dust than the rest.

I'd have to say this is not a box for use in an apartment, certainly not in stock form. It'd make enough noise for the neighbors to complain. Even in a house the noise carried quite far from the basement shop location. Swapping to an ATX and fan wall has definitely reduced the noise levels, but it's never going to be silent. Cooling that many drives requires air flow and that's going to generate noise. Less than the deafening roar of the original setup, but it's still louder than I'd ever want to have in an occupied room.

Yes, if whatever OS you're using support the controller then you can use the internal ports. You just have to have mounts for the drives. I have an SSD mounted on a Startech card carrier. One of these: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-2-5-Inch-Removable-Expansion-S25SLOTR/dp/B002MWDRD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343856278&sr=8-1&keywords=S25SLOTR
Makes it easy to swap out drives; not that I've had to all that often. It just makes for an easy mount if you've got a slot space free. It just straddles a slot, it doesn't require plugging into one. Scythe makes something similar that can hold two drives, but it also requires the space of two slots.
post #432 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

transcoding is a different story, do you need to transcode from 1080P/720P high BW to your tablet/phone? replacing CPUs should help ease the burden..

Yeah, but unless you need fast transcoding, having 24 bays makes it likely you can transcode in batches and keep them on disk. I've got a lot of media in original DVD form, mpg and ipod. It's easier to add disk space than it is to fight with trying to transcode or otherwise transfer quickly. Having more CPU can definitely help but you probably don't need it unless there's truly fast processing needed. Assuming your transcoding software can actually use multiple processors effectively.
post #433 of 2256
I thought replacing the backplane wall etc was no longer required with the new servers, Litlgi74 said replacing the fans + psu makes it quiet, but of course that's a very relative term. Netshelter CX looks interesting but I won't be building that kind of enclosure anytime soon smile.gif More cpu headroom is always nice, you never know when you might need it.
post #434 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

I thought replacing the backplane wall etc was no longer required with the new servers, Litlgi74 said replacing the fans + psu makes it quiet, but of course that's a very relative term. Netshelter CX looks interesting but I won't be building that kind of enclosure anytime soon smile.gif More cpu headroom is always nice, you never know when you might need it.

I would assume replacing 80mm to low RPM 120mm will help reduce fan noise alot.
you need to make sure by replacing lower RPM does not hurt air flow much. low RPM 120mm fans will do the trick
think about: you just have 4 HDs and will add more after months to 16 HDs or more...
post #435 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

I'd have to say this is not a box for use in an apartment, certainly not in stock form. It'd make enough noise for the neighbors to complain. Even in a house the noise carried quite far from the basement shop location. Swapping to an ATX and fan wall has definitely reduced the noise levels, but it's never going to be silent. Cooling that many drives requires air flow and that's going to generate noise. Less than the deafening roar of the original setup, but it's still louder than I'd ever want to have in an occupied room.

I assume you're talking about the original server, not the new one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

I would assume replacing 80mm to low RPM 120mm will help reduce fan noise alot.
you need to make sure by replacing lower RPM does not hurt air flow much. low RPM 120mm fans will do the trick
think about: you just have 4 HDs and will add more after months to 16 HDs or more...

Of course you're right. I just meant if the noise level with just replacing the fans+psu will be acceptable, then I'm fine with that. But going by what wkearney99 says, it sounds like using 120mm fans is almost a must.
post #436 of 2256
Thread Starter 
Update:

Everyone (about 25 - 30 of you) on the waiting list... should be getting an email today, from Jason at TamSolutions, letting you know that your server order is ready to be filled.


He also told me that the ebay link should be up very shortly... But if you don't want to wait... to give him a call 801-796-1696 or email them at jdye@tamsolutions.com

As far as cost... I believe the units will be selling for $299. But since I have nothing to do with the sale or price of these units... I can't be 100%. He also wanted me to mention that a discount will be given to anyone who has purchased one of there original units.

Even though there is a slight price increase... the units are still one heck of a deal! You will also be saving around $50 on Norco parts that are no longer needed.

I expect to have my replacement fans tomorrow... If the US Mail actually delivers them on time... I should be able to post photos and details of my modifications to the SuperMicro case by the end of the weekend.

Can't wait to share...
post #437 of 2256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

I thought replacing the backplane wall etc was no longer required with the new servers, Litlgi74 said replacing the fans + psu makes it quiet, but of course that's a very relative term. Netshelter CX looks interesting but I won't be building that kind of enclosure anytime soon smile.gif More cpu headroom is always nice, you never know when you might need it.

My plan is to just swap out the 5 very loud 80mm fans with much, much quieter ones... I will also be replacing the PSUs with a singe Corsair PSU... probably the same 750 TX V2 as I used on my first build. I expect it to be just as quiet as the original server... but if it isn't I will let everyone know.
post #438 of 2256
How loud are these new units stock compared to the old ones?
post #439 of 2256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike03 View Post

How loud are these new units stock compared to the old ones?

The noise is less obnoxious... but not by much. If you plan on keeping this in your house or apartment... modifications will need to be made!
post #440 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

Update:
Everyone (about 25 - 30 of you) on the waiting list... should be getting an email today, from Jason at TamSolutions, letting you know that your server order is ready to be filled.

He also told me that the ebay link should be up very shortly... But if you don't want to wait... to give him a call 801-796-1696 or email them at jdye@tamsolutions.com
As far as cost... I believe the units will be selling for $299. But since I have nothing to do with the sale or price of these units... I can't be 100%. He also wanted me to mention that a discount will be given to anyone who has purchased one of there original units.
Even though there is a slight price increase... the units are still one heck of a deal! You will also be saving around $50 on Norco parts that are no longer needed.
I expect to have my replacement fans tomorrow... If the US Mail actually delivers them on time... I should be able to post photos and details of my modifications to the SuperMicro case by the end of the weekend.
Can't wait to share...
$99 is not a slight price increase hehehe:P
post #441 of 2256
Sorry, I should be more specific. How loud are the PSU's? I already have two of the "old" models, but if I only have to replace fans on the super micro ones, I will shelf one of the previous models for now.
post #442 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

$99 is not a slight price increase hehehe:P

The last batch of Xeon servers was $224.99, so it's technically only a price increase of $75. Plus, from what I understand, the new server cases are better than the last batches and require less 'hacking' to be suitable for home use.
post #443 of 2256
Well I got my invoice and I asked about the discount for people who bought the first batch and they said no such thing.
post #444 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

The last batch of Xeon servers was $224.99, so it's technically only a price increase of $75. Plus, from what I understand, the new server cases are better than the last batches and require less 'hacking' to be suitable for home use.

was $199, you bought the last batch with more GHz smile.gif.

it is ~$99 increase with the same spec AMD or xeon from previous deal,

hacking old server is easy for me biggrin.gif, not a lot of hacking aka pretty simple. you can see my posting. just drill 4 holes and move switch/button location.

if you see the model release date. supermicro server and the older server mostly released in the same year or less a year smile.gif.
the different is supermicro give 80+ dual 1U PSU, where mostly we would replace. not a biggie.
post #445 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzdog2 View Post

Well I got my invoice and I asked about the discount for people who bought the first batch and they said no such thing.

I just email him, and let see his reply :P.
post #446 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike03 View Post

Sorry, I should be more specific. How loud are the PSU's? I already have two of the "old" models, but if I only have to replace fans on the super micro ones, I will shelf one of the previous models for now.


pretty loud!!!:P
1U PSU is notorious in loud score hehe...
do not beleive me?... buy and see/listen yourself
post #447 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

pretty loud!!!:P
1U PSU is notorious in loud score hehe...
do not beleive me?... buy and see/listen yourself

I have two of the non supermicro ones. From the pics it looked like the 900w PSU's included in the supermicro's may be a tad bit bigger. I was hoping they were 2u with 40mm fans vs 1u with 20mm fans.

I could probably just look at the specs though......smile.gif
post #448 of 2256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bima View Post

I just email him, and let see his reply :P.

I just sent Jason a message...

The price will be adjusted...

Repeat Customers: $269
First Time Buyers: $299

Please don't shoot the messenger!
post #449 of 2256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzdog2 View Post

Well I got my invoice and I asked about the discount for people who bought the first batch and they said no such thing.

Your PayPal will be credited.
post #450 of 2256
Well I hadn't paid yet, so maybe I will ask first.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative?