or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 5

post #121 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Being computer challenged what is windows shares? If it improves the SQ of ones system I'm in.

Bill

It's part of windows networking - sharing a folder over the network. This gives you access to the raw files, and not just what DLNA can handle.
post #122 of 9520
One question b4 i pull the trigger as I was set until I read the amazon review and wonder if the reviewer was right or telling a lie.

I want to have 7.1 going in the main room (zone 1) and then I have 2 speakers going outside for the patio/pool. Can I hook the two outside speakers (zone 2) into the additional speaker ports or do I need another amplifier to run the outside speakers? Also, if I have the 2 outdoor speakers going listening to ipod can I still watch tv in zone 1 and get 7.1 at the same time? I thought I could but amazon review says it goes down to 5.1 if you start 2 speakers in zone 2.

Thanks for the answers as I am anxious to go get this.
post #123 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080P Input View Post

One question b4 i pull the trigger as I was set until I read the amazon review and wonder if the reviewer was right or telling a lie.

I want to have 7.1 going in the main room (zone 1) and then I have 2 speakers going outside for the patio/pool. Can I hook the two outside speakers (zone 2) into the additional speaker ports or do I need another amplifier to run the outside speakers? Also, if I have the 2 outdoor speakers going listening to ipod can I still watch tv in zone 1 and get 7.1 at the same time? I thought I could but amazon review says it goes down to 5.1 if you start 2 speakers in zone 2.

Thanks for the answers as I am anxious to go get this.

Well, there are only 7 channels of amplification, so if you are running speakers on the patio, you only can amplify 5 speakers in the theater/LR. This goes for ANY 7.1 receiver out there.

You can always get a AudioSource amp for about $100 to fix this. Or use your old receiver as just an amp.
post #124 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

Well, there are only 7 channels of amplification, so if you are running speakers on the patio, you only can amplify 5 speakers in the theater/LR. This goes for ANY 7.1 receiver out there.

The Yamaha A3000 let's you run a 7.1 in the main zone, and then when you need the second zone, "steals" two of the amps (surround backs) and turns.the main zone into a 5.1 for the time being... rather cool...

Still only 7 active amps, but unique to Yamaha...

From the RX-A3000 manual...

Quote:


In addition to the main room, speakers in another room can also be controlled.
When the built-in amplifier assigned to speakers in another room is turned on, sound output automatically switches from the surround back speakers to the speakers in the other room.
post #125 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

The Yamaha A3000 let's you run a 7.1 in the main zone, and then when you need the second zone, "steals" two of the amps (surround backs) and turns.the main zone into a 5.1 for the time being... rather cool...

Still only 7 active amps, but unique to Yamaha...

From the RX-A3000 manual...

Huh? Am I missing something?

You basically said what I said. When a 7 channel avr uses 2 channels for a zone 2, the avr will only have 5 channels for the main theater.
post #126 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post


Huh? Am I missing something?

You basically said what I said. When a 7 channel avr uses 2 channels for a zone 2, the avr will only have 5 channels for the main theater.

Yes...

I was pointing out a unique feature in a competitors product....

There is no AVR I've seen that dynamically allocates it's amps like the A3000...
post #127 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionorion View Post

Well...it's no wonder! The pre-party pic in the kitchen(with the booze) would indicate any avid photographers night shots might turn out crummy if they'd been having fun before hand!

Exactly.

I do have a day after beer pong in the pool pic but that is about it. As for my review I will have it out by Monday for sure. I saw Jerry Seinfeld last night (hilarious ) so that cost me my Friday night!
post #128 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Exactly.

I do have a day after beer pong in the pool pic but that is about it. As for my review I will have it out by Monday for sure. I saw Jerry Seinfeld last night (hilarious ) so that cost me my Friday night!

I almost went to see him the other day but tickets were like $75.00! I've always wondered just how funny he really is. Stand up is always an excellent way to find out for sure, as it's just him all by his lonesome up there. We all know the other 3 on his show were the real funny ones.

Looking forward to reading your review in a couple of days Joe, thanks!
post #129 of 9520
^^^His stand ups are great. If you get a chance to watch/listen to one, I recommend him.
post #130 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

^^^His stand ups are great. If you get a chance to watch/listen to one, I recommend him.

I'll check out youtube, thanks for the tip.
post #131 of 9520
Is this integra dtr50.4 the "equal" to onkyo's 818? Nice to see another option to get into multiEQ XT32!
http://www.soundadvice.com/Integras-...000-P5225.aspx
post #132 of 9520
Not having good luck with links lately. Sorry
http://www.soundadvice.com/Integras-...000-P5225.aspx
post #133 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

I almost went to see him the other day but tickets were like $75.00! I've always wondered just how funny he really is. Stand up is always an excellent way to find out for sure, as it's just him all by his lonesome up there. We all know the other 3 on his show were the real funny ones.

Looking forward to reading your review in a couple of days Joe, thanks!

He truly was funny. My favorite line was when he brought up new iPads, cellphones and electronics. He said can't we just have one month where everything we have is just good enough? I also liked how he came back out (encore) and took Questions from the crowd. Then he told us he is working on a top secret project involving his old show. Lastly he told us how he ran into Wayne Knight a couple weeks ago and finished with the trademark Hello Newman! Good stuff.

I think I will add his line to my signature.
post #134 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Vanns is an authorized Onkyo dealer. I called Vanns to see if they would still honor the price from the Tech Bargains link posted earlier. The sales rep (Josh) said they did not sell any at that price.
Bill

Wow, hard to believe nobody wanted the new onkyo 818 for $899. Maybe there just waiting for a lower price. Its a good bet with July 4th weekend sales coming up, their patience will be rewarded
post #135 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

The SubEQ feature is not included with the 818. If you only have one sub you are fine but if you have two subs XT32 (without SubEQ) will not set level and delay differences between the two subwoofers IIRC.

Bill


can you post the link for this information please?
many thanks.
post #136 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoz23 View Post

Is this integra dtr50.4 the "equal" to onkyo's 818? Nice to see another option to get into multiEQ XT32!
http://www.soundadvice.com/Integras-...000-P5225.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoz23 View Post

Not having good luck with links lately. Sorry
http://www.soundadvice.com/Integras-...000-P5225.aspx

That is the exact equal to the 818 right? It looks like it to me aside from the price though! As low as $600?!?!

All the specs look almost identical. Integra is in cahoots with Onkyo right?

Thanks for the link.
post #137 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post


Wow, hard to believe nobody wanted the new onkyo 818 for $899. Maybe there just waiting for a lower price. Its a good bet with July 4th weekend sales coming up, their patience will be rewarded

If anyone wants one new-in-box, I can get them for $900. Send me a PM.
post #138 of 9520
What is the biggest difference between the 818 and the 3009? I am trying to decide which one to choose, but I dont know which one is better.
post #139 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude2 View Post

can you post the link for this information please?
many thanks.

If you go to the Audyssey site you will find the information you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

What is the biggest difference between the 818 and the 3009? I am trying to decide which one to choose, but I dont know which one is better.

If you go to the Onkyo site you can select both the 818 and the 3009 then do a direct comparison of the features of the two.

Bill
post #140 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

What is the biggest difference between the 818 and the 3009? I am trying to decide which one to choose, but I dont know which one is better.

I was wondering the exact same thing!!
post #141 of 9520
I'd say the biggest difference is the 3009 is 9.2 and the 818 is 7.2. There are more differences but as said above, the best thing would be to go to the onkyo site and do a side by side comparison.
post #142 of 9520
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Wow, hard to believe nobody wanted the new onkyo 818 for $899. Maybe there just waiting for a lower price. Its a good bet with July 4th weekend sales coming up, their patience will be rewarded

Plenty of people would have wanted it at that price from a reputable (authorized) dealer, but the deal vanished very quickly. I would buy one at $900 shipped if it was from an authorized dealer with a fair return policy.
post #143 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

The HDMI On numbers should cover that. But here is is: 7.2 W

I missed that.

That comes to 5184 watts per month.
Figuring a high cost electric rate of .2 per kilowatt comes to Abbot $1 per month. Not too shabby.

My 180 would be about $7 a month which is like renting a cable box.
I am glad that they fixed it.

Thanks for the info,

Rich
post #144 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

I'd say the biggest difference is the 3009 is 9.2 and the 818 is 7.2. There are more differences but as said above, the best thing would be to go to the onkyo site and do a side by side comparison.

I did go to the site, but it is pretty technical... What i mean by that is, I am not sure which of those items will make it a better product for HT listening. The biggest deal for me is that they both have XT32. The deciding factors for me, i guess, are that the 818 "should" have a the better video processor?? And the 3009 does 9.2...

The 818 is around $1100 and I have seen the 3009 for around $1300
post #145 of 9520
I would say the 3009s amp section is a bit more robust as well. 818 does have an updated video chip, but I don't really know the difference between them...
post #146 of 9520
The 818 can do 9.2 as well, same as the 3009. But with the 818 you would need to use an additional external 2 channel amp, to provide power for the 2 extra channels that you would be using on the 818. Just wanted to point that out in case you had missed that detail. I'm sure you hadn't, just wanted to make sure you hadn't.
post #147 of 9520
Nope. I missed it. lol

But at that point, it brings the price of the 818 up to that of the 3009... hmmm
post #148 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

Nope. I missed it. lol

But at that point, it brings the price of the 818 up to that of the 3009... hmmm




Also, just to point something else out. You mentioned the price of the 818 being around $1100. Just the other day it very briefly sold for $900 shipped.

It's safe to say that it will be easy to get the 818 for under that $1100 price point as time goes on.

It's been mentioned that it could be more easily and commonly found for that price of $900 around the 4th of July, and to me that seems like a reasonable expectation as well. I think it will go even lower over time, but were all just guesstimating here.

As for the 3009 going much lower....? I think that could be a reach.
post #149 of 9520
The 3009 has sub eq ht, the 818 does not.
post #150 of 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

I did go to the site, but it is pretty technical... What i mean by that is, I am not sure which of those items will make it a better product for HT listening. The biggest deal for me is that they both have XT32. The deciding factors for me, i guess, are that the 818 "should" have a the better video processor?? And the 3009 does 9.2...

The 818 is around $1100 and I have seen the 3009 for around $1300

The 818 does have XT32 but does not have SubEQ as the 3009 has. Not a big deal if you only have one sub but if you have two subs SubEQ is a nice feature to have. Why would you think the 818 would have better video processing than the 3009? I'm curious as to which authorized dealer is selling the 3009 for around $1300? The 3009 has a SRP of $2199 so getting one close to $1300 from an authorized dealer is a steal IMO.

Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion