or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 9

post #241 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

What are you sending into your 818 (what resolution). Also is the overscan set to Off on your TV? There should be a noticeable difference especially if you are watching Directv or cable. Of course the larger the screen the more obvious it is. smile.gif

Thanks for your time again

I have only tryed a DVD film and seen some youtube clips with my laptop connected to the amp via hdmi. I realy dont know if my TV have some overscan future(Pioneer KRP 500M)
post #242 of 9458
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Onkyo docs for developers (protocol spec) specifically say that there are AirPlay enabled 515, 616, and 818 models - those are different model numbers than the currently released models (TX-NR818 vs. TX-NR818AE). There's another document showing an AirPlay-enabled dock for Integras, and a handful of commands to retrieve song info and set the receiver input to "Airplay".
How they plan to do this is still a mystery. Paid firmware update (like Denon did), free firmware update, external box, or mid-year model refresh? This I don't know.
Bluetooth streaming is also coming with an add-on USB dongle.
Onkyo also just recently released an AirPlay-enabled tuner too:
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/features/airplay-58083.html

This makes it tough to pull the trigger, if an airplay enabled one will be available (probably at the same price) in the next few months.
post #243 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

The best route is to use both hdmi outs on the 790. Nothing is more pure then going directly from source to display. smile.gif
And that is tough for me to type as much as I love the 818's scaling. eek.gif

I take it then that you think the up scaling of the Sony is better than that of the Onkyo for DVDs? I have a few DVDs I'm gonna play but mostly bluerays of course tongue.gif
post #244 of 9458
It's not that bad. The AppleTV integrates well, probably better than anything Onkyo could do since it has that nice UI.

The only problem with it is apps like Onkyo's cannot read the current song info, but Apple has an app for that too.

Also, AirPlay appeared last year in Onkyo's app as a network service, they yanked it around mid-year. Their AirPlay universal port accessory is also MIA. So there are no guarantees until it actually ships. I'm very happy with the 818, AirPlay or not.
post #245 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Hi Joe,
I read your review last night and have become even more 'amped' about the 818 and anxiously await Friday, when hopefully, the big brown truck pulls up in front of the house.
I'm upgrading primarily because of XT32 (from MultEQ in a 707) but the 818 offers so much more and you described many of these features very well.
I noticed that you have opted for HEIGHTS over WIDES but I was wondering if you have ever tried them, as Chris K/Audyssey believes that they bring the largest sonic improvement to the mix.
I value your reviews because they have an honest hands-on perspective.
Thank you.[/quot

Thanks. I appreciate it. And yes, I have tried wides. I actually have 11 speakers total. smile.gif
I like DSX sound for sports using the Heights though. smile.gif
post #246 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omitron View Post

I take it then that you think the up scaling of the Sony is better than that of the Onkyo for DVDs? I have a few DVDs I'm gonna play but mostly bluerays of course tongue.gif

Actually I never tried it. I bet the Onkyo does well but we average one or two DVDs a year so by far for the greater good it is more optimal two use both HDMI outs on the 790.
post #247 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I value Joe's review too, it was very informative. However, Joe should pay some high school kid $100 to re-do his web page, it is really terrible! No joke Joe, a high school kid with a commonly available web publishing app and a few hours could have that web page looking 10X better. wink.gif

I appreciate the advice. Only thing is I am not paid whatsoever to do my site so any extra funds (besides what I'm charged monthly) is a loss. This is more of a hobby for me. Now that I just found out today I'm going to be a Dad I have to save every extra penny. smile.gif
post #248 of 9458
Congratulations Joe!
post #249 of 9458
Joe,

Congrats! I hope that you are able to spoil your newborn with nice toys such as AVRs, projectors, amps, etc.
post #250 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Actually I never tried it. I bet the Onkyo does well but we average one or two DVDs a year so by far for the greater good it is more optimal two use both HDMI outs on the 790.

Thanks for the answers; I will see if I can experiment with it when I get the chance.
Your nice reviews of both the nr-818 and the S790 made me even more stoked now and I can't wait until the two will be delivered to me next week biggrin.gif

Edit - Congrats to you becoming a dad!
post #251 of 9458
On the AirPlay front, a lot of people seem to care about that feature and I originally decided against the 818 and was going to get a Pio Elite instead. Then I realized that all the AirPlay-capable receivers only do audio, no video or display mirroring. So I went with AppleTV to get the full AirPlay experience and my 818 arrives tomorrow. Since its remote is pre-programed to work with AppleTV, its a win-win to me!
post #252 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I appreciate the advice. Only thing is I am not paid whatsoever to do my site so any extra funds (besides what I'm charged monthly) is a loss. This is more of a hobby for me. Now that I just found out today I'm going to be a Dad I have to save every extra penny. smile.gif

Thanks for the Review on the 818 and congrats smile.gif
post #253 of 9458
Hmm. It looks like it might finally be time to put my trusty old TX-DS989 out to pasture. The 818 sounds like a worthy replacement.
I may wait to see what happens with AirPlay though. Hopefully the feature is added as a firmware update instead of an slightly different model. We have so many Apple mobile devices kicking around I would kick myself for getting a new receiver that isn't AirPlay enabled.

I need to replace my rear surrounds with something with less depth. Does anyone know if there are any issues running speakers with different impedance on this (or other) Onkyo receivers? My current setup is all 4ohm but all the rear surrounds I'm looking at are 8ohm.
post #254 of 9458
Thanks guys! I am nervous and excited all at once... smile.gif

We plan to tell our families this weekend. eek.gif You guys get to find out first. biggrin.gif
post #255 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kwan View Post

I need to replace my rear surrounds with something with less depth. Does anyone know if there are any issues running speakers with different impedance on this (or other) Onkyo receivers? My current setup is all 4ohm but all the rear surrounds I'm looking at are 8ohm.
should be fine.
post #256 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Thanks guys! I am nervous and excited all at once... smile.gif
We plan to tell our families this weekend. eek.gif You guys get to find out first. biggrin.gif

Ok, well we expect a review in nine months. biggrin.gif
post #257 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

Ok, well we expect a review in nine months. biggrin.gif

You got it. smile.gif

Anymore new 818 owners show up today?
post #258 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kwan View Post

I need to replace my rear surrounds with something with less depth. Does anyone know if there are any issues running speakers with different impedance on this (or other) Onkyo receivers? My current setup is all 4ohm but all the rear surrounds I'm looking at are 8ohm.

You could consider these LSi surrounds from Polk...4 ohms.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/lsi/specs.php#surround
post #259 of 9458
Ok, update on my 818 and a small review.

Tried unplugging all day, tried pushing power down while plugging it in and tried power on and cab/sat at the same time. Nothing. It just keeps clicking trying to turn on. Maybe it isn't the firmware but a part that took a sh!t. So I called Amazon and UPS is going to pick it up tomorrow and I'll get a full refund. Now since I have to wait for a new 818, I just ordered it from Vann's for $900 instead of waiting for Amazon.

Anyway, I am going to keep my review very short, like my short time spent with the 818. lol

The video quality is great and the picture is true to the source. I rarely watch DVDs and never watch TV/cable in my dedicated theater, so I didn't get a chance to see the up-converting. It does suck that the OSD is soft around the edges. When I first turned on the 818, I thought I had to adjust my projector. I normally have to adjust my projector every 2-3 movies because of my subwoofers shack it out of focus. But this time, it was the 818's OSD.

Going threw the setup and features, the 818 is very easy to use. I made sure to shut off any features I don't use. Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ, HDMI control, etc. This receiver does way more then I'll ever need it to. I bought it for NEOx, XT32,4K, 9.2 and better sound quality.

I am running a 9.2 system with Highs. I also have 2 pairs of side surrounds for the front and back seats and 4 subwoofer. Running Audyssey was very simple and it seemed to get most of the setting right. I did lose some bass/headroom because Audyssey didn't setup my subs the greatest. They were not in phase with the speakers. Because of this, I lost about 2-3db compared to my previous setup. I used my Omnimic and ran a FR with the receiver in 9 channel stereo and slowly increased the distance until the FR was at it's flattest.

Now the important part, the sound. I watched, Black Swan, Red Tails, This Means War, Unstoppable and The Book of Eli. I remember watching The Book of Eli on my old Pioneer 1018 and it sounded good but some of the background music was a little annoying and over-barring. With the 818, it flows much better into the movie and is very enveloping. With Eli and Black Sway, the high speakers sounded 10 feet high in my 7' theater. It is a very cool effect and very realistic. I will NEVER go back to 7.1.

With all the cool features, multi channel modes, 8 seat auto calibration and 9.2 surround. This receiver really shines with music. I could not beleave how good my CDs were sounding. Very smooth and natural sound with stereo and multi channel surround. I am guessing it is the higher end D/A converters. All I know is it blows my Pioneer 1018 out of the water with sound quality.

Sorry, I know is isn't the best review. But, obviously, if I have a 818 that stopped working and I already ordered a new one, I really love it.

Ok, goodnight.
I am sleepy and gotta get up for work in 3 hours.
post #260 of 9458
I read that there are some differences in Audyssey functionality other than the lack of SubEQ. It was posted that the 818 only supports a "flat" eq goal but the 4311 allows more options such as a house curve. Does anyone know the details about these audyssey eq targets and the differences between these two models (or the details on either one).

Sorry I'm a bit ignorant on audyssey features as my current AVR is older and does not have it; I assume this question could be more clear if I had a bit more experience with audyssey's capabilities. Seems weird for there to be a feature difference as they are both XT32. I do understand what the various target curves are and have read up on the flat line approach, house curve, x curve, another one (is it hard knee or something like that), and PEQ. Would be nice to be able to try some different goal curves out. I did recently get a minidsp but it's purpose will be subs once I get to dabbling with it.
post #261 of 9458
Thread Starter 
A review on Amazon seemed to indicate that when zone 2 was not in use those channels were available for use as extra channels in 7.1 mode. Is this true?
post #262 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

I read that there are some differences in Audyssey functionality other than the lack of SubEQ. It was posted that the 818 only supports a "flat" eq goal but the 4311 allows more options such as a house curve. Does anyone know the details about these audyssey eq targets and the differences between these two models (or the details on either one).

Sorry I'm a bit ignorant on audyssey features as my current AVR is older and does not have it; I assume this question could be more clear if I had a bit more experience with audyssey's capabilities. Seems weird for there to be a feature difference as they are both XT32. I do understand what the various target curves are and have read up on the flat line approach, house curve, x curve, another one (is it hard knee or something like that), and PEQ. Would be nice to be able to try some different goal curves out. I did recently get a minidsp but it's purpose will be subs once I get to dabbling with it.

You get the Audyssey reference curve and the Flat curve. The difference is the reference curve rolls off high freq.
post #263 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

I read that there are some differences in Audyssey functionality other than the lack of SubEQ. It was posted that the 818 only supports a "flat" eq goal but the 4311 allows more options such as a house curve. Does anyone know the details about these audyssey eq targets and the differences between these two models (or the details on either one).
Sorry I'm a bit ignorant on audyssey features as my current AVR is older and does not have it; I assume this question could be more clear if I had a bit more experience with audyssey's capabilities. Seems weird for there to be a feature difference as they are both XT32. I do understand what the various target curves are and have read up on the flat line approach, house curve, x curve, another one (is it hard knee or something like that), and PEQ. Would be nice to be able to try some different goal curves out. I did recently get a minidsp but it's purpose will be subs once I get to dabbling with it.

Onkyo does it with NEO, DTS , Dolby, THX, music / movie with RE-EQ sound modes, I don't have the time needed now. Onkyo really has many more sound mode curves than denon. But if you really want to play, than highend yamahas avrs have all the tweaks in that area...
post #264 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

You get the Audyssey reference curve and the Flat curve. The difference is the reference curve rolls off high freq.

With the onkyo, dennon, or both? Is there a diff?
post #265 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Onkyo does it with NEO, DTS , Dolby, THX, music / movie with RE-EQ sound modes, I don't have the time needed now. Onkyo really has many more sound mode curves than denon. But if you really want to play, than highend yamahas avrs have all the tweaks in that area...

Hmmm, maybe I am misunderstanding. So my current AVR has some of those addition surround modes like "Movie" and "Hall". I never cared for those much other than the more pure modes like DTS, Dolby, etc... I thought what they were referencing was not a "surround mode" type selection but the target curve audyssey was attempting to try and achieve during the over all system set up, but those "surround modes" could be applied after the fact. I guess it's all just DSP trickery and I'm not loving how it sounds like so many levels of it. Isn't less more with these peq solutions? A small number of well placed filters was the way to go I thought.
post #266 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post


Onkyo does it with NEO, DTS , Dolby, THX, music / movie with RE-EQ sound modes, I don't have the time needed now. Onkyo really has many more sound mode curves than denon. But if you really want to play, than highend yamahas avrs have all the tweaks in that area...
This has nothing to do with Audyssey, those are surround modes. Audyssey gives you two target curves....reference and flat/music.
post #267 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Hmmm, maybe I am misunderstanding. So my current AVR has some of those addition surround modes like "Movie" and "Hall". I never cared for those much other than the more pure modes like DTS, Dolby, etc... I thought what they were referencing was not a "surround mode" type selection but the target curve audyssey was attempting to try and achieve during the over all system set up, but those "surround modes" could be applied after the fact. I guess it's all just DSP trickery and I'm not loving how it sounds like so many levels of it. Isn't less more with these peq solutions? A small number of well placed filters was the way to go I thought.

I known what you mean, onkyo not big on echo type sound, thats for kids... Onkyo forces the sweet sound of DTS and Neo without it having coded program,, Thats why there are so many sound modes with the onkyo.
post #268 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

I read that there are some differences in Audyssey functionality other than the lack of SubEQ. It was posted that the 818 only supports a "flat" eq goal but the 4311 allows more options such as a house curve. Does anyone know the details about these audyssey eq targets and the differences between these two models (or the details on either one).
Sorry I'm a bit ignorant on audyssey features as my current AVR is older and does not have it; I assume this question could be more clear if I had a bit more experience with audyssey's capabilities. Seems weird for there to be a feature difference as they are both XT32. I do understand what the various target curves are and have read up on the flat line approach, house curve, x curve, another one (is it hard knee or something like that), and PEQ. Would be nice to be able to try some different goal curves out. I did recently get a minidsp but it's purpose will be subs once I get to dabbling with it.

Jungle Jack at HTS wrote
Quote:
in terms of Audyssey, the Onkyo only offers the Flat Curve when a THX Mode is selected as THX mandated it. Otherwise, you have no choice but to use Onkyo's Audyssey Curve. Given the Denon is almost twice as much in terms of MSRP and the fact few can house 11 Speakers in their HT, the Onkyo makes a great deal of sense for many.
Cheers,
JJ

and later it was said by zheka
Quote:
being able to choose the target curve is also nice though not a deal breaker for me.

re-reading this I'm not sure if he's really saying there's a difference, we should be able to get to the bottom of this though.
post #269 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

This has nothing to do with Audyssey, those are surround modes. Audyssey gives you two target curves....reference and flat/music.

Onkyo lets you pick the curve with music or movie mode for each sound mode thats why there are so many..

THX movie, THX music etc etc....
post #270 of 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

This has nothing to do with Audyssey, those are surround modes. Audyssey gives you two target curves....reference and flat/music.

So there is no difference in terms of audyessey target curves between the 4311 and the 818?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion