or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 97

post #2881 of 9461
There's always something wrong with those AVRs these days. That's why I always measure basic functionality first.

I owned a Denon DN-A7100 which had faulty crossover slopes.
The Emotiva UMC-1 had so many bugs and basic design errors, I had to send it back.
A Onkyo 708 produced non-repeatable MultEQ calibration results.
post #2882 of 9461
I have a Oykno 709 in for repair under warranty. Yesterday Oykno told me they were going to replace my 709 with a new 717. I plan to sell the 717 and get either a 818 or the Denon 4520. Does anyone think the Denon is worth twice as much as the 818. I use my receiver for movies and have a difficult room so I really need the receiver to help with the speaker set up.
post #2883 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTR View Post

Does anyone think the Denon is worth twice as much as the 818.

No. Electronics have reached a quality level where getting the speaker-room interface right is far more important.
post #2884 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Could you disconnect all speakers from the AVR except left and right front? Is the problem still there?
thats a good idea if we're both thinking the same thing now... less speakers less info that has to be processed.. is that your suggestion? well lets see if we are on the same page here first and then ill give it a try.... cause i hate having to pull out the avr to start messing with the wires even tho i use bannana plugs wink.gif its a pain in the ass but if could be a step towards a resolution then im all for it...! smile.gif
post #2885 of 9461
The amount of data that is sent is always the same. It doesn't matter how loud you listen. What changes is the power the AVR's amps have to deliver when volume goes up. I suspect your AVR is going into protection mode. That could be a wiring error, faulty or inefficient speakers or a problem with the power line.

So the best approach is to start with only the fronts connected. Make sure speakers are wired correctly. Switch off all other devices and disconnect them from the AVR. Just leave the TV, AVR and DVR connected.
Please report back if that fixed the problem.

Do you run all devices from the same power outlet?
post #2886 of 9461
Marco,

Check to see what you have the receivers ohm setting on. 4 or 6. Likely should be on 6.
post #2887 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

The amount of data that is sent is always the same. It doesn't matter how loud you listen. What changes is the power the AVR's amps have to deliver when volume goes up. I suspect your AVR is going into protection mode. That could be a wiring error, faulty or inefficient speakers or a problem with the power line.
So the best approach is to start with only the fronts connected. Make sure speakers are wired correctly. Switch off all other devices and disconnect them from the AVR. Just leave the TV, AVR and DVR connected.
Please report back if that fixed the problem.
Do you run all devices from the same power outlet?
hmmmm. OK i see where your going with this.. i like your thinking! wink.gif yes i do have all my components connected to a power strip that's plugged into the wall.. so yes there all coming from the same power source and outlet from the wall.. ive checked my wiring over and over and had my friend check to make sure ... all the reds and blacks are connected to speakers and back of avr in the correct position. so we can scratch that... inefficient speaker or power problem is more like it... my speakers are entry level speakers that come from the Onkyo HTIB HT-S5400 which should be able to handle what i throw at it.. maybe not to, what most people have on here having pushing their setup and laugh at what im using for speakers with a high end avr. but they do a good enough job for my 12x12 room. anyway here's a link if you need to look my speakers to see if there the issue here or the power... ill still do what you recommend to see ... thanks a lot for a speedy response and the time to help me smile.gif

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S5500&class=Systems&p=s

PS. that the link to the 5500 but its the same speakers from the 5400
post #2888 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Marco,
Check to see what you have the receivers ohm setting on. 4 or 6. Likely should be on 6.
yes patrick its on 6.. thanks... i also have intelligent volume under settings on 0 i never like to mess with that unless the incomimg source product is really low
post #2889 of 9461
I just upgraded from a TX-NR609 to a TX-NR818 and after going through the multieq XT32 setup, there's a huge improvement with my sound.. I never realized how out of balance it all was before.

I do have a question.. I only use two sources - an HTPC and an Xbox 360, both connected to the receiver via HDMI (for both video and audio).

What should I leave my surround mode set to on the receiver? There are a ton of options. Right now, when I play a movie through my HTPC, the receiver automatically goes into DTS, Dolby, THX, etc modes based on the movie I'm playing.. but should I be setting the receiver to something manually as well? What should it be left to when watching youtube videos, playing music, etc? I've never been clear on this..
post #2890 of 9461
To get the "purest" reproduction without the AVR doing additional processing/upmixing, go to Home > Setup > 5. Listening Mode Preset, select a input source and set it to the following values:

Analog/PCM/Digital > Stereo
Mono/Multiplex Source > Mono
2ch Source > Stereo
Dolby D/Dolby D Plus/TrueHD > Straight Decode
DTS/DTS-ES/DTS-HD > Straight Decode
Other Multich Source > Straight Decode

This has to be set for each input source separately.
post #2891 of 9461
Trying to use an external amp for the front L/R speakers. My question (sorry didn't notice an answer when reading this whole thread). How do you hook up the 12V trigger? Can you do this? I see you can hook up the 12V trigger to turn on an amp for Zone 2/3. Would you then have to tweak settings in the AVR to turn on Zone 2/3 whenever powering on? Do the setting stay, or would I have to change the settings every time I powered on? Would this diminish any sound/processing when doing this? Is there another way (I am mentally challenged on a daily basis)tongue.gif. I could/have been just turning on the amp, sometimes I just leave it on. Any bad side effects (other than electric bill) when leaving the amp on 24/7?
post #2892 of 9461
818 issues

My speakers were popping today when i turned my avr on. Could not get rid of the popping sound. As i would increase or decrease volume speakers would pop with every click of the remote. If i turned it up too much avr would shut off.

Anyone familiar with this? Help is greatly appreciated.
post #2893 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawie01 View Post

818 issues

My speakers were popping today when i turned my avr on. Could not get rid of the popping sound. As i would increase or decrease volume speakers would pop with every click of the remote. If i turned it up too much avr would shut off.
Anyone familiar with this? Help is greatly appreciated.

What do you have the dynamic eq reference level set to for your sources?
post #2894 of 9461
Full? 12 i believe. I will check. May take me a min, not sure how to get there. Been a while.
post #2895 of 9461
Yes 12
post #2896 of 9461
When i say turn up volume, it was within normal listening range. Not blasting.
post #2897 of 9461
kawie01 you should have sent your 818 in for repair when you first encountered the popping noise. If memory serves me well, that was about 6 months ago? That noise is definitely not normal.

By the way, reference level offset can only be set to 0, 5, 10 and 15.
post #2898 of 9461
Hello everyone just like to say I have purchased an 818, it will be arriving in a week , i have been reading this thread thoroughly and hope there will be know problems
most important to me is sound, so that will be my primary , I have had many audio equipment over the years
and hope to help

cheers

Tony
post #2899 of 9461
One more quick question.

Is there an option where i could have the BASS come through the regular speakers? the woofer rattles the apartment, it is great to listen to within the house, but the neighbors have an annoying shake and vibration which i experienced. I thought during nights and mornings, i would see whether i can turn down the woofer or even turn it off and have the low frequency playing via the regular speakers.

Is that possible at all?

Do i need to run the odyssey everytime i switch from 5.2 to 5.0 and vice versa?
post #2900 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetermaters223 View Post

Hello everyone just like to say I have purchased an 818, it will be arriving in a week , i have been reading this thread thoroughly and hope there will be know problems
most important to me is sound, so that will be my primary , I have had many audio equipment over the years
and hope to help
cheers
Tony
I too joined the bandwagon after a lot of reading through this forum, it has been great.

May i know hte price you paid and the place you bought the 818. thanks
post #2901 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnbharathi View Post

One more quick question.
Is there an option where i could have the BASS come through the regular speakers? the woofer rattles the apartment, it is great to listen to within the house, but the neighbors have an annoying shake and vibration which i experienced. I thought during nights and mornings, i would see whether i can turn down the woofer or even turn it off and have the low frequency playing via the regular speakers.
Is that possible at all?
Do i need to run the odyssey everytime i switch from 5.2 to 5.0 and vice versa?

Have you tried putting an isolation pad under the woofer? You can buy one, but I've found that a small rug/towel works well too.
post #2902 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Have you tried putting an isolation pad under the woofer? You can buy one, but I've found that a small rug/towel works well too.

I have not tried one, are you mentioning something like this? If so i would get a one day and try it out. http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Subwoofer-Isolation-15x15x2-inch-Charcoal/dp/B001140OZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352732281&sr=8-1&keywords=subwoofer+pad

thanks for the great advice, this might be the solution that separates me and the thump from the woofers
post #2903 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnbharathi View Post

I have not tried one, are you mentioning something like this? If so i would get a one day and try it out. http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Subwoofer-Isolation-15x15x2-inch-Charcoal/dp/B001140OZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352732281&sr=8-1&keywords=subwoofer+pad
thanks for the great advice, this might be the solution that separates me and the thump from the woofers

Yep. Try a rug (I use a small knit one from IKEA) first, probably not as good as the Auralex but not $50 either smile.gif.

You'll want to re-run Audyssey afterwards if you're happy w/ the results.
post #2904 of 9461
Thanks! Will try that tonight.

Did anyone have luck using the onkyo's learning (really) remote to work with Dish network's receivers/remote
post #2905 of 9461
i doubt an isolation pad will help a whole lot... isolation pads prevent/mitigate mechanical vibrations from transferring from the sub to the floor...

it will do a grand total of zero to stop the bass from penetrating into other's apartments...
post #2906 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i doubt an isolation pad will help a whole lot... isolation pads prevent/mitigate mechanical vibrations from transferring from the sub to the floor...
it will do a grand total of zero to stop the bass from penetrating into other's apartments...

It's often the floor, and things attached to the floor, rattling that is the actual complaint, not the "thump".
post #2907 of 9461
^^^

if the sub is making enough mechanical vibrations to cause that, and NOT producing enough 'thump" to cause it to be even worse (i.e. the mechanicals are drowned out), something is seriously wrong...
post #2908 of 9461
I just purchased a NR818 along with Klipsch WF-35 speakers.

I am planning on just running 5.1 so I will have the bi-amp outputs open on the AVR.

Should I bi-amp these speakers? Is there a true performance gain?

Thanks
post #2909 of 9461
Hello to you all. I wonder if anyone else is getting the same issue as me whilst playing back FLAC files on the onkyo tx-nr 818 over USB front.

The sound is great and then it cuts out, only for a moment but still ! Files are large and in 192/24 any volume..... Does not differ.

818 with Dali Zensor 5 5.1 and a month old smile.gif
post #2910 of 9461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiacfatboy View Post

Hello to you all. I wonder if anyone else is getting the same issue as me whilst playing back FLAC files on the onkyo tx-nr 818 over USB front.
The sound is great and then it cuts out, only for a moment but still ! Files are large and in 192/24 any volume..... Does not differ.
818 with Dali Zensor 5 5.1 and a month old smile.gif
FLACS work great here. Have you got the latest firmware?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion