or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 105

post #3121 of 9528
Why would someone bypass the 818's video processor for like blu-ray or using a hd projector? Is this because of the 24p bug? I just don't know why would they would make the effort to install the HQV Vida VHD1900 video Processor if everyone by-passed it, if it's part of the bug, then I would understand, it should be about running all your components to your source, then being able to switch to blu-ray or cable / sat, or projector and not have to worry.

I have a few more days to expect delivery of my 818.....
post #3122 of 9528
Hey guy's,
I just joined the club. Its been a while, but I'm a AVS old timer. I was one of the lucky ones to get the Amazon deal. I just finished doing the initial set up. I'm only running 3.1 for now, I need to get stands for my Klipsch surrounds to complete 5.1 and Audyessey. I'm upgrading my old Denon AVR 3805 and DVD 3910 combo that has served me well. That was old Denon-link technology, right before HDMI. I hit some hard time over the past couple of years, and had to suppress my upgrade-idous..can finally indulge a little. My limited first impressions is WOW..It has such a low noise threshold, that I thought I hooked my speakers up wrong. Great dynamics, my Klipsch old school 5.2's never sounded so good, and that's with out running Audyssey yet. I'm waiting on the wifi dongle to arrive so I can check out those features. Just wanted to say Hi, and introduce myself....Dongle just arrived, so I have more fiddling around to do.
post #3123 of 9528
The latest word on gaplesss play:

http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t564p15-gapless-dlna-playback#9490

"Upon further correspondence with the proper representatives and department heads; this feature is NOT currently in further evaluation or development on our current product line. We understand the disappointment in the non-implementation of this feature for your operational preference."


Will a petition help?
post #3124 of 9528
^^^

doubt it...
post #3125 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm304 View Post

Has anyone experienced cracking or popping when watching action movies on HBO? I only experience speaker cracking when watching "loud" scenes on HBO. Not sure if it is HBO's fault or something with my setup. All other channels and blu rays sound fine.
check to see if you got your intellivolume setting way to high ... i had that problem when someone messed with my intellivolume settings... your avr is going into protection mode to blowing out your speakers....
post #3126 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Why would someone bypass the 818's video processor for like blu-ray or using a hd projector? Is this because of the 24p bug? I just don't know why would they would make the effort to install the HQV Vida VHD1900 video Processor if everyone by-passed it, if it's part of the bug, then I would understand, it should be about running all your components to your source, then being able to switch to blu-ray or cable / sat, or projector and not have to worry.
I have a few more days to expect delivery of my 818.....

Some people had "better" video decoding on their blu-ray player, or video processor, so it is a matter of which one to use. Some might NOT want any "extra processing" as if not done correctly, it could introduce artifacts...
post #3127 of 9528
doublepost
post #3128 of 9528
does this reciever deliver good sound quality when playing music in stereo mode? when using bi-amp, will it run excactly the same signal and power to each left and right so i need it to be a crossover filter inside the speakers? (which it may be, its psb t65 if anyone knows) - and has anyone here had a good experience with the bi amp setup or is it no point?

and one more thing, how is the pure sound mode? i usually like "reference" sound and want as little distortion etc. and wonder how this will be? getting the 717 on friday and cant wait smile.gif
post #3129 of 9528
folks i just got mine last Saturday, and it has been phoenominal(sp). for anybody who doesn't think xt32 is worth the upgrade better take another hard look. i've had xt on all of my previous avr's including the torridal monster 805 and i thought xt did well. boy was i wrong xt32 is on a whole different level. WOW..biggrin.gif
post #3130 of 9528
I also bought one during the Amazon deal and have had it since Monday.

There have been a lot of comments here about issues with gapless playback so I was concerned about it.

Yesterday I connected the receiver wirelessly to my home network and then connected to J River Media Player on a computer in another room.

It played back multiple songs on half a dozen albums with no issues at all - no skipping, no stuttering, no long delays between songs.

Tonight I connected a 2 TB hard drive to the front USB connection. The drive has about 1,000 albums on it.

I played back wav files, flac files and even a very high resolution dsf file with no issues at all. On a couple of albums I played three cuts in a row.

Am I missing something? I don't seem to have the gapless playback issue.
post #3131 of 9528
^^^

the gapless issue shows itself on albums that are, well, gapless...

think "dark side of the moon"...
post #3132 of 9528
OK, I have Dark Side of the Moon. I'll give it a try later.

Thanks.
post #3133 of 9528
Just got my 818 late this afternoon from a rather grumpy FedEx driver (I would probably be grumpy, too, if I had his job this time of year).

Anyhow, no time to do much more than upack, jack up the old AVR and slide this one into its place. Haven't done the Audyssey set up yet so no comments on sound (or Audyssey).

The one thing I was a bit concerned about was getting iTunes content to the receiver via an Airport Express but that was easy-peasy.

The one thing I am still wrestling with is DLNA via the wireless usb adapter ( not the Onkyo one but the TP-Link). The receiver IS on the net. I can connect to all the services on the net screen and the receiver sees my PC via the Home Media icon (nothing under the DLNA icon though). If I click on the PC name it tries to connect and finally responds with the very helpful error message "no item". If I try to "Play to..." with Windows Media Player, I get a "Contacting media server" and then an error "Failed to retrieve media information"..... I have done all the set up via WMP in the Stream menu....

If I figure this out, I will post back here. If anyone has suggestions, I am all ears.

Too early to express any overall opinion but other than the DLNA issue (which is almost certainly a cockpit error), everything seems to work well.
post #3134 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
the gapless issue shows itself on albums that are, well, gapless...
think "dark side of the moon"...

I get it now. On DSOTM it listed the tracks in alphabetical order, not in the album sequence. There was a gap between cuts.

This was via the hard drive

Haven't tried any classical music yet but presume the same issue will be there.

I do have a PC directly connected to the 818 with all my music files so that will work for me.

________________________

I just played DSOTM on the wireless network. Tracks in the right sequence but there were gaps
Edited by wlvca - 11/28/12 at 8:01pm
post #3135 of 9528
Anyone know if Amazon/B&H/Newegg will have the 818 on-sale again?
post #3136 of 9528
I've had the Onkyo 818 for 3 weeks now, and overall I'm very pleased with it.
I also got myself the Monitor Audio Silver RX6 + Silver Center speakers + Harman Kardon Surrounds + HK sub 10'
After running the MultEQ XT 32 the bass seems to have disappeared, but now (after 3 weeks) I can only say it sounds fantastic.
My preferense: Sub level + 3 db, Audyssey Music curve, Dynamic EQ reference level 0 db and dynamic volume OFF for music /Light for TV & Movies.

I'm a newbie and perhaps you guys can enlighten me:
I'm listening music from an analog source (Cambrige DAC Magic Plus), and when listening in Stereo 2.1 the signal is NOT processed in the Onkyo, only bass management, right?
When listening in Dolby PLII Music or DTS Neo:X Music the analog audio signal will be converted to digital for DSP, right?
If so, does the quality of the analog audio signal matter much when listening in Dolby PLII Music / DTS Neo:X Music?
Edited by AVRams - 11/29/12 at 9:58am
post #3137 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRams View Post

After running the MultEQ XT 32 the bass seems to have disappeared, but now (after 3 weeks) I can only say it sounds fantastic.

To what crossover value did Audyssey set your mains?
post #3138 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

To what crossover value did Audyssey set your mains?

60hz for mains, 40hz for center. I considered to raise them to 80 hz, but I read somewhere it's not necessary with XT 32...
post #3139 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRams View Post

60hz for mains, 40hz for center. I considered to raise them to 80 hz, but I read somewhere it's not necessary with XT 32...

It can be very much necessary to raise crossover frequencies because MultEQ optimizes only single speakers.

Adding a second low frequency source can result in a frequency response at the listening position that is very different from the case when just one source is playing. In music low frequency sounds are mostly mixed to the center, i.e. the same sound is in the left and the right speaker. Audyssey didn't optimize that situation. It has only optimized a single speaker reproducing that sound. Now with the sound getting reproduced by two speakers the result is unpredictable. There can be peaks and dips. This depends on the room and the position of sources and listener.

If you raise the crossover frequency you'll never get unpredictable results because all low frequency sound is routed to a single optimized speaker (or speaker cluster in case of multiple subs).
post #3140 of 9528
Is it possible to use the preamp outputs for the front channels only? I would like to incorporate my home theater into my 2 channel set up. My Simaudio pre amp allows me to assign an input as a home theater pass through.

I would like to have the simaudio amp power the 2 front channels and the 818 power the center and surround channels.
Thanks.
post #3141 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by codoug View Post

Just got my 818 late this afternoon from a rather grumpy FedEx driver (I would probably be grumpy, too, if I had his job this time of year).
Anyhow, no time to do much more than upack, jack up the old AVR and slide this one into its place. Haven't done the Audyssey set up yet so no comments on sound (or Audyssey).
The one thing I was a bit concerned about was getting iTunes content to the receiver via an Airport Express but that was easy-peasy.
The one thing I am still wrestling with is DLNA via the wireless usb adapter ( not the Onkyo one but the TP-Link). The receiver IS on the net. I can connect to all the services on the net screen and the receiver sees my PC via the Home Media icon (nothing under the DLNA icon though). If I click on the PC name it tries to connect and finally responds with the very helpful error message "no item". If I try to "Play to..." with Windows Media Player, I get a "Contacting media server" and then an error "Failed to retrieve media information"..... I have done all the set up via WMP in the Stream menu....
If I figure this out, I will post back here. If anyone has suggestions, I am all ears.
Too early to express any overall opinion but other than the DLNA issue (which is almost certainly a cockpit error), everything seems to work well.

Update:
- I still have not solved the DLNA/WMP failure-to-connect issue.
- iTunes to the receiver via the Airport Express/Airplay works but I have noticed that streaming from iTunes on the PC experiences intermittent drop outs. Streaming from my iPad is rock solid. Hmmm.

Audyssey set up scheduled for tonight.
post #3142 of 9528
Well after reading a few posts eek.gif (sarcasm) and picking great info from it, I came up with a conclusion in a form of a question. Now, I'll admit that I'm a Denon fanby:p, but I can no longer ignore the inclusion of XT32 at this price point.

My conclusion: Being that I'm not intererested in anything else other than to power my speakers (lots of movies, tv, and some SACDs) and XT32 of course, and don't plan to use any other features, this machine will do this very well without much issues.

My question Does my "conclusion" have merits.

cheers
post #3143 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by djn2004 View Post

Is it possible to use the preamp outputs for the front channels only? I would like to incorporate my home theater into my 2 channel set up. My Simaudio pre amp allows me to assign an input as a home theater pass through.
I would like to have the simaudio amp power the 2 front channels and the 818 power the center and surround channels.
Thanks.

I don't see why not... although I am still waiting for my unit to arrive. I am expecting this to work as well as I have RCA to my 2 front for my Klipsch active powered, and then the rest will be powered by AVR.
post #3144 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

It can be very much necessary to raise crossover frequencies because MultEQ optimizes only single speakers.
Adding a second low frequency source can result in a frequency response at the listening position that is very different from the case when just one source is playing. In music low frequency sounds are mostly mixed to the center, i.e. the same sound is in the left and the right speaker. Audyssey didn't optimize that situation. It has only optimized a single speaker reproducing that sound. Now with the sound getting reproduced by two speakers the result is unpredictable. There can be peaks and dips. This depends on the room and the position of sources and listener.
If you raise the crossover frequency you'll never get unpredictable results because all low frequency sound is routed to a single optimized speaker (or speaker cluster in case of multiple subs).


So you recommend to raise the crossover of my Fronts and Center to 80 hz?
Audyssey set my surrounds to 120hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRams View Post

I'm a newbie and perhaps you guys can enlighten me:
I'm listening music from an analog source (Cambrige DAC Magic Plus), and when listening in Stereo 2.1 the audio signal is NOT processed in the Onkyo, only bass management, right?
When listening in Dolby PLII Music or DTS Neo:X Music the analog audio signal will be converted to digital for DSP, right?
If so, does the quality of the analog audio signal matter much when listening in Dolby PLII Music / DTS Neo:X Music?


Perhaps somebody can satisfy my idle curiosity? smile.gif
post #3145 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRams View Post

So you recommend to raise the crossover of my Fronts and Center to 80 hz?
Audyssey set my surrounds to 120hz.

Yes, set all speakers <80Hz to 80Hz (or even higher, as long as the subs don't become localizable). Don't change crossover values >80Hz because MultEQ optimizes only down to the crossover frequency it has determined during setup.
post #3146 of 9528
Guys, I have a question for you:

I have 9.1 setup right now with Onkyo NR3008 receiver. The way I have it setup is I use separate 5 channel amp for the main 5 speakers (L, C, R, SL and SR), and front high and wides are powered from 3008. I just bought 818 for my playroom, but now i'm thinking of switching my 3008 with 818 (for DTS: X and newer video processor mostly), and move 3008 into the playroom (to use as stand-alone receiver there). My thinking is I would be using 818 mostly as processor anyways, and only need 4 channels of amplification to power highs and wides, which are not demanding at all (so lower end amplification in 818 vs 3008 would not make much of a difference).

I know 818 is 7.2 receiver on paper, so does anyone know if I would be able to use it as 9.1 one with separate amp for the main 5 channels? Basically, can I run main 5 channels through separate amp, and power highs and wides from 818, and have full Audyssey DSX 9.1 processing (or any other surround formats that can use up to 9 chanels with highs and wides), or receiver's processor is limited to 7 channel processing only?

Thanks!
post #3147 of 9528
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lik View Post

Guys, I have a question for you:
I have 9.1 setup right now with Onkyo NR3008 receiver. The way I have it setup is I use separate 5 channel amp for the main 5 speakers (L, C, R, SL and SR), and front high and wides are powered from 3008. I just bought 818 for my playroom, but now i'm thinking of switching my 3008 with 818 (for DTS: X and newer video processor mostly), and move 3008 into the playroom (to use as stand-alone receiver there). My thinking is I would be using 818 mostly as processor anyways, and only need 4 channels of amplification to power highs and wides, which are not demanding at all (so lower end amplification in 818 vs 3008 would not make much of a difference).
I know 818 is 7.2 receiver on paper, so does anyone know if I would be able to use it as 9.1 one with separate amp for the main 5 channels? Basically, can I run main 5 channels through separate amp, and power highs and wides from 818, and have full Audyssey DSX 9.1 processing (or any other surround formats that can use up to 9 chanels with highs and wides), or receiver's processor is limited to 7 channel processing only?
Thanks!

What video processing do you think the 818 will do better than the 3008 does now?
it is not like the HQV Reon-VX is crap and with IFS capabilities you will have MUCH more control over video settings.

While what you propose may work (double check the manual on 9.2) I don't consider the 818 to be an upgrade over the 3008.
Of course this is just my humble opinion.
post #3148 of 9528
You might be right... for some reason I thought that since 818 is two generations newer, it has a better (newer) video processor... 3008 does great job in video and audio departments... it's just seems like I'm wasting good amp section in 3008 with separate amps, and using it mostly as processor... If 818 has the same audio and video processing capabilities, but also adds some of the new features (iPhone connections, DTS Neo, new GUI etc), I thought of using it in place of 3008, and move 3008 into playroom, where I can fully utilize all it's amp power (possibly with fronts bi-amping) to drive 5.1 setup there...

Also, I believe 818 has isf calibration controls (at least according to Onkyo website)... so that should not be different from 3008...
Edited by t0lik - 11/29/12 at 4:10pm
post #3149 of 9528
I've managed to make my way through at least the second half of the thread. This weekend upgraded from an 805 with a 46" Samsung LCD (500 series...4 years old) to an 818 with a 60" Samsung LCD (7100). I've noticed that the onscreen display for the Onkyo is very, very dim. I'm assuming that this is due to the LED TV technology, but I can't be sure since I have nothing else to hook up to it. Is the OSD text supposed to be a bright white or more of a dark grey?

Also, does anyone else have a similar setup? I'm trying to determine whether to use the TV for upscaling or the receiver...and then whether to use an video processing (if I use the receiver). Thanks in advance!
post #3150 of 9528
Zones 2 and 3

Just picked up this receiver yesterday and I think I may have to return it.

I have a 5 channel Rotel amp that I was going to use for zones 2 and 3 but unfortunately, unless I am doing something terribly wrong I cant get it to work. I did read in the manual that it says you need to use an integrated amp and use its volume control for the other zones (mine is not integrated). I hooked up my old receiver to zone 2 and the only way I could get any sound was to use the phono input and turn its volume all the way up. Sort of defeats the purpose of having different zones if you cant even control their volume from the receiver. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
Edited by scotty144 - 11/29/12 at 5:34pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion