or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 107

post #3181 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

i dont get it, i got a new SVS subwoofer and so i re ran auddysey just now, is auddysey detecting that i have 2 subwoofers? why are there 2 subwoofers in the picture? i have only my new SVS sub connected to the system confused.gif

Try to reset the microprocessor and run Audyssey again. Report back please. smile.gif
post #3182 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Try to reset the microprocessor and run Audyssey again. Report back please. smile.gif

how do i reset the microprocessor?
post #3183 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

how do i reset the microprocessor?

The only homework you have here to do is to look it up in your AVR's manual. Hope this helps. smile.gif
post #3184 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

why are there 2 subwoofers in the picture?

It's just a picture. The AVR doesn't know how many subs are connected (although it is beneficial to have more than one sub). You also don't need to reset the AVR (p. 91 of the manual by the way).

P.S. It's Audyssey not auddysey.
post #3185 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Try to reset the microprocessor and run Audyssey again. Report back please. smile.gif

how do i reset the microprocessor?

For Onkyos the usual way is this:

 

 

RESET Onkyo to Factory
 
To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR] button on the unit, press the [ON/STANDBY] button on the unit. "Clear" will appear on the display and the AV receiver will enter Standby mode.
post #3186 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

It's just a picture. The AVR doesn't know how many subs are connected (although it is beneficial to have more than one sub). You also don't need to reset the AVR (p. 91 of the manual by the way).
P.S. It's Audyssey not auddysey.

thanks man, i calibrated the system and it sounds fantastic so far.
post #3187 of 9477
I am having trouble getting my amps to come on with auto standby. The amps can use RC-5 or Video Signal to activate. When I plug in my composite video cable to the 818 composite monitor out nothing happens with my amps. It's like the AVR is not sending video signals through that output. In return my amps just sit there. I have to manually turn them on and then off. Anyone know how to get this auto on/off standby to work with the video signal?

Second question is about the crossover points. It set my speakers to 40mhz fronts 50mhz surrounds. The sub was barely moving after the setup. I upped the crossover to 80mhz THX and now the sub is more active. My sub has build in crossover, phasing, and gain. I set the gain to 75db at setup and disabled the crossover on the sub. Should I leave it on these settings?

So far I am happy with the AVR. No issue yet with anything except operator error at first setup plugging a speaker in the wrong surround output.
post #3188 of 9477
I bought one on Black Friday, its really nice, BUT, I think I have the HDMI bug that makes the audio out of sync with the video, I was watching Saving Private Ryan the other day and it was so far off it was like watching an old Japanese karate movie. it seemed way off during the beach landing scene, but later seemed like it was almost perfect.
I like the AVR, it is a real beauty, has a TON of features on it, but I have to decide whether or not to keep it with this bug. Do I keep it and hope they do a firmware fix, or use the secondary HDMI output? Or send it back. I did upgrade the firmware when I first hooked it up so I have the latest, but the bug is still there.
I am very impressed and kinda disappointed at the same time. mad.gif
post #3189 of 9477
Onkyo touts this receiver's "ISF Video Calibration". Can this be disabled? I want to use it as an HDMI switcher only and want the output to be bit-for-bit equal to the input. I have a Lumagen Radiance and am using SpectraCal's Color Cube LUT for my video calibration. I hope this receiver can be set not to mess with the bits. That would be a deal-breaker for me!

Thanks!
post #3190 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Onkyo touts this receiver's "ISF Video Calibration". Can this be disabled? I want to use it as an HDMI switcher only and want the output to be bit-for-bit equal to the input. I have a Lumagen Radiance and am using SpectraCal's Color Cube LUT for my video calibration. I hope this receiver can be set not to mess with the bits. That would be a deal-breaker for me!

Thanks!

Set the video output to "direct". AFAIK this will defeat all video processing on the onk and will pass through the video source untouched.
post #3191 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

I bought one on Black Friday, its really nice, BUT, I think I have the HDMI bug that makes the audio out of sync with the video, I was watching Saving Private Ryan the other day and it was so far off it was like watching an old Japanese karate movie. it seemed way off during the beach landing scene, but later seemed like it was almost perfect.
I like the AVR, it is a real beauty, has a TON of features on it, but I have to decide whether or not to keep it with this bug. Do I keep it and hope they do a firmware fix, or use the secondary HDMI output? Or send it back. I did upgrade the firmware when I first hooked it up so I have the latest, but the bug is still there.
I am very impressed and kinda disappointed at the same time. mad.gif

"The" HDMI bug is different from what you describe. What source did you play the movie from? You are aware that there are settings for synchronizing video and audio?
post #3192 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

"The" HDMI bug is different from what you describe. What source did you play the movie from? You are aware that there are settings for synchronizing video and audio?

I played it from a PS3, on bluray. It seemed out of sync for a while, then seemed to correct itself later. I used a Hi-speed 1.4 HDMI cable from the PS3 to the game1 port on the AVR. Then another 1.4 HDMI to the projector. I am going to try a bunch of other movies today and see what happens. I watched Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter in 3D on it the other night and dont remember it doing it at all.
post #3193 of 9477
For some reason, pass through has stopped passing audio. The picture comes up just fine, but there is no volume. I haven't switched anything on the unit, not sure if my wife did by accident. Pass through is still set to the input I want too..anyone know what problem can be?
post #3194 of 9477
Ok. I got my 818 and I'm frustrated. The main out HDMI supports my popcorn hour and 3D BD player however I get a flicker white screen for my cable feed?! The only way I get a picture is if I use the sub-Video HDMI out. It's Comcast that I have and I don't know why I have no video/audio.
post #3195 of 9477
Lamonsasa:

Nothing to worry about. I have a single subwoofer connected and get two subwoofers in the picture, too. I think it's because the 818 just splits the single subwoofer channel (doesn't EQ each unit separately) into two outputs on the back plate. So the receiver doesn't know if you have 1 or 2 subwoofers (unlike, for instance, rear surround where it can tell if you're using one or both channels) and they put the two subs in the image just to make it clear that you CAN connect two subs if you choose.
post #3196 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Ok. I got my 818 and I'm frustrated. The main out HDMI supports my popcorn hour and 3D BD player however I get a flicker white screen for my cable feed?! The only way I get a picture is if I use the sub-Video HDMI out. It's Comcast that I have and I don't know why I have no video/audio.
OK. Not sure why but it has something to do with my Google Logitech Revu. When I directly connect my Tivo to the AVR it works fine but not through/using the Revu. Anyone else w/this AVR have the Revu?
post #3197 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblinds View Post

Lamonsasa:

Nothing to worry about. I have a single subwoofer connected and get two subwoofers in the picture, too. I think it's because the 818 just splits the single subwoofer channel (doesn't EQ each unit separately) into two outputs on the back plate. So the receiver doesn't know if you have 1 or 2 subwoofers (unlike, for instance, rear surround where it can tell if you're using one or both channels) and they put the two subs in the image just to make it clear that you CAN connect two subs if you choose.

If you go into Speaker Setup menu and select Speaker Configuration, does it not allow you there to tell it if you have one or two subs?  That is how it has always worked on the 3 Onkyos I have had. 

post #3198 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

I bought one on Black Friday, its really nice, BUT, I think I have the HDMI bug that makes the audio out of sync with the video, I was watching Saving Private Ryan the other day and it was so far off it was like watching an old Japanese karate movie. it seemed way off during the beach landing scene, but later seemed like it was almost perfect.
I like the AVR, it is a real beauty, has a TON of features on it, but I have to decide whether or not to keep it with this bug. Do I keep it and hope they do a firmware fix, or use the secondary HDMI output? Or send it back. I did upgrade the firmware when I first hooked it up so I have the latest, but the bug is still there.
I am very impressed and kinda disappointed at the same time. mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

I played it from a PS3, on bluray. It seemed out of sync for a while, then seemed to correct itself later. I used a Hi-speed 1.4 HDMI cable from the PS3 to the game1 port on the AVR. Then another 1.4 HDMI to the projector. I am going to try a bunch of other movies today and see what happens. I watched Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter in 3D on it the other night and dont remember it doing it at all.


It sounds like you have the recalled SPR > http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Recall/Paramount_Issues_RECALL_of_Saving_Private_Ryan/4714
post #3199 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post

It sounds like you have the recalled SPR > http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Recall/Paramount_Issues_RECALL_of_Saving_Private_Ryan/4714

I have a Bluray combo disc, it has Gladiator, Braveheart, and SPR on it, it doesnt look like the disc you linked.

I think I'm going to try it on my other PS3 upstairs to see if it does it up on my regular tv.
post #3200 of 9477
Can the NR818 stream .mkv / FLAC and SACD off a network hard drive? I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.


Thanks
post #3201 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1111 View Post

Can the NR818 stream .mkv / FLAC and SACD off a network hard drive? I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
Thanks
It can stream FLAC, not movie formats.
post #3202 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

It can stream FLAC, not movie formats.

Anyone interested in a AVR that can stream MKV/ISOs?

Then who would buy oppos? rolleyes.gif
post #3203 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

I bought one on Black Friday, its really nice, BUT, I think I have the HDMI bug that makes the audio out of sync with the video, I was watching Saving Private Ryan the other day and it was so far off it was like watching an old Japanese karate movie. it seemed way off during the beach landing scene, but later seemed like it was almost perfect.
I like the AVR, it is a real beauty, has a TON of features on it, but I have to decide whether or not to keep it with this bug. Do I keep it and hope they do a firmware fix, or use the secondary HDMI output? Or send it back. I did upgrade the firmware when I first hooked it up so I have the latest, but the bug is still there.
I am very impressed and kinda disappointed at the same time. mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post

It sounds like you have the recalled SPR > http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Recall/Paramount_Issues_RECALL_of_Saving_Private_Ryan/4714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

I have a Bluray combo disc, it has Gladiator, Braveheart, and SPR on it, it doesnt look like the disc you linked.
I think I'm going to try it on my other PS3 upstairs to see if it does it up on my regular tv.

I just got my 818 also and am having the same audio sync issues when I watch TV with my ATT Uverse box. I watched multiple movies through my WD Live with no sync issues at all.
post #3204 of 9477
Finally! Got my TX-NR818 receiver yesterday at work! I could not wait to get it home and hook it up. wink.gif

The wife was working late, so I had a couple of hours to yank out the old Onkyo TV-636 and get the 818 installed. My equipment list is small compared to some I guess, so I was able to get the old out, and the new in, in under an hour. biggrin.gif The only issue I ran into was my entertainment center shelf is not deep enough to hold the unit with banana plugs installed. The receiver currently is sitting on top of a small ladder! I will have to cut out the back of the unit to gain the room. mad.gif The wife can just get mad, she should have consulted me before buying the stupidly designed thing...

Sony KDL55HX729 TV to the main out
Sony PS3 to Game1
Direct TV H25 to Sat/Cbl

Hard wired Ethernet connection to Exede Satellite Router to pick up the two Windows 7 Media servers and to stream Pandora off the satellite provided net.

Connected all the speakers and sub, put batteries in the remote and hit the power button. A single very soft click and it was on, ready to run setup.
I did a quick setup for the net and devices, but bypassed the Audyssey setup for when I have more time. A quick run through to verify all the inputs matched the audio, set the sound to all channel stereo, then drop Dark Side of the Moon into the PS3 and cranked it up. If a smile could fill a room, mine did! Totally blew me away! I'm not an audio geek so I may be easily impressed, but the Polks had NEVER sounded so good! Granted the Onkyo TV-636 I had was not the best amp but the difference was really incredible. I'm sure once I get the system tweaked correctly for the room it will be that much better.

I currently do not own a single Blue Ray disk, so had to be content watching some scenes from a couple of DVD's. I definitely need to run Audyssey... The rear surrounds were way too loud but I could hear them like never before. The sub was also not right and I know it will need to be moved from the corner it currently occupies. I need to go read through some Audyssey threads then take a Sunday to configure the receiver.

Oh, it did ask me to do a firmware update but I choose not to do it till this evening when I will have more time.

I'm a happy camper! biggrin.gif
post #3205 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post

Finally! Got my TX-NR818 receiver yesterday at work! I could not wait to get it home and hook it up. wink.gif

Totally blew me away! I'm not an audio geek so I may be easily impressed, but the Polks had NEVER sounded so good! Granted the Onkyo TV-636 I had was not the best amp but the difference was really incredible. I'm sure once I get the system tweaked correctly for the room it will be that much better.

I'm a happy camper! biggrin.gif

If you like it now, you will love it once you have run Audyssey!

 

If you're new to Audyssey, check out the Audyssey '101' Setup Guide and FAQ, linked in my sig, to help you get off to a flying start.

post #3206 of 9477
Quote:
frown.gif The wife can just get mad, she should have consulted me before buying the stupidly designed thing...

Obviously you're confident that your wife NEVER reads postings on AVS Forum, Coolerman. wink.gif

Congrats on the 818.
post #3207 of 9477
Don't run Audyssey till you have done the update as you loose all the settings and need to start again.
post #3208 of 9477
I get a pink screen when i run a few video games from my PC into my NR818, i tried another receiver ( yamaha a1020 ) and it doesnt give me a pink screen, it only happens on a few games. I am running the hdmi out of the hdmi sub out if it makes a difference ( to eliminate input lag ). Does anyone know how i can eliminate this issue? And does anyone know if this receiver is going to get another firmware update anytime soon to fix the 24hz bug?
post #3209 of 9477
I'm more interested in the a/v sync issue. I had the issue when it was hooked up from my htpc to the TV. Now its hooked up htpc to projector and no issue, however before if I ran from the PVR there was no sync issue.
post #3210 of 9477
Quote:
Originally Posted by codoug View Post

Finally found time to go through the Audyssey set up. Pretty painless. I was concerned about two things: getting the sub set up right (a bit of a PITA with my old Pioneer AVR) and how well the upward-facing mic would do with my surrounds which, out of structural necessity, are in-ceiling. I need not have worried. The set up was straightforward and, thanks to good advice in this thread and in the Audyssey thread, I had good information on how to tweak the end results.
Some notes on the Audyssey set up:
- My sub is a Velodyne D4000R. The low pass crossover is a continuously-variable dial from 40-120 Hz with a "direct" position just beyond 120 Hz. I used the direct setting. The high pass crossover is a two position switch with the choice of either 80 or 100 Hz. I left it on 100 Hz.
- My fronts are Klipsch WF-34's (floorstanding speakers).
- Center is a matching unit to the fronts (I forget the model number).
When Audyssey was finished, the front crossovers were set to 40, the center was set to something like 45 IIRC, and the surrounds were at a variety of settings from 30-50. After listening a bit I reset the fronts, center and surrounds to 80 Hz and did some more listening. For movies, I like this final setting. And, the sub seems very well integrated into the overall sound mix, at least for movies. I will do some critical listening to music over the next few days and see if that remains true for stereo.
As noted, pretty straightforward and painless. Thanks to all who post their questions and answers here. I am at least one example of how useful those posts are.

After living with this AVR for a little over a week, I am pretty happy. I finally got some time to do some critical listening to both movies and music.

After letting Audyssey do its thing, as the saying goes during NFL games "upon further review" it got things surprisingly close to right. Beyond the tweak mentioned above to set the crossover for all the speakers (except, of course, the sub) to 80 Hz , the only thing I changed was to boost the level of the center a bit (1.5 db). The splice between the sub and the fronts is pretty seamless and the system works as well as a 2-channel stereo set up as it does for movies.

All in all, a very good value.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion